ADVERTISEMENT

Class of 2016

JustWrestle133

All-Conference
Aug 5, 2014
Everyone here knows how important recruiting is. Everyone here has also discussed Iowa's struggles in recruiting the truly blue chip, top 10 recruits in the last few years. In fact Kemerer in the first recruit ranked inside the top 10 since 2009. While the black and gold was still bringing in quality kids, this lack of true blue chip recruits since Tony Ramos and DSJ in 2009 was significant. Especially when you consider that Penn State and Ohio State each have 8 top ten recruits on their roster next year.

**EDIT** In 2010, Iowa had a top 10 recruit in Mike Evans. I am not sure how I overlooked Evans. The point remains the same however as far as top 10 recruits go. **EDIT**

Now, while that sounds bad, I happen to think 2016 is going to be a fantastic year for the hawkeyes in recruiting. Just reading what the top kids are saying and who they are visiting leads me to believe that a sensational class is coming. I realize not all the top guys are going to come to Iowa, but look at how many of the top guys have Iowa as their favorite or in their final grouping.

1. Hall- Says he is considering Iowa, Ohio State, Minnesota, Oklahoma St, and Penn State. I have seen many people take a stab at his top 2 and who the 2nd team is fluctuates, but iowa is always the other team...Iowa and OSU, Iowa and MInn, Iowa and PSU, Iowa and Okie st.
2. Suriano- between Iowa and Penn State
3. White- Between Illinois, Missouri, and Ohio State
4. Marinelli- Iowa commit, with a slight chance of Ohio State getting in the mix
5. Red- between Ohio State and Penn State
6. Wood- Lehigh commit, he is good, but is an undersized heavyweight, he should be lower ranked as a recruit
7. Pletcher- lists Penn State, Iowa, and Edinboro
8. Hidlay- N.C. State commit.
9. Yates- lists Northwestern, Illinois, and Iowa
10. Breske- lists Wisconsin, Iowa, and Minnesota

Then you have the in State kids, the likes of Happel who is going to be a top 15-20 kid just like Clark and Gilman were. Plus a Sam Cook, Gannon Gremmel, or Brock Rathbun who looks like they could be fringe top 50 kids.

1 already in the bag in Marinelli and 5 other top kids listing Iowa as a school of interest is a very positive sign. Plus I think Happel is a fringe top 10 kid and he is obviously interested in staying home too.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Curious, why Ohio St has a slight chance of getting in the mix? Does that mean that PSU has a slight chance of getting Marstellar back? That would seem highly unusual to commit to a school, then de commit and commit to a second school, to only recommit to the first school again. Obviously we are all hoping for Hall, I'm less than optimistic. From everything I've read I think our best shots are Suriano, Yates and Breske. Breske would be a great pickup and would help shore up the upper weights. Hall absolutely demolished him when they wrestled, so Hall is obviously the best in show out this group. All the top teams know that he is an absolute difference maker, so I expect everyone with throw out all the stops to sign him.

Reactions: ozziesimmons22
Marinelli is a solid Iowa commit. Not concerned about him decommiting. Look for several young guns kids to commit to the hawks over the next couple years. Kemerer and Young are just the beginning. Morningstar is making a second home out there.

Reactions: WWDMHawkeye
Mike Evans was a top 5 recruit (ranked #4 by Earl at D1) back in 2010.

I am not worried about Marinelli flipping.

I can't wait til the word comes down that Hall has committed. I don't have any info saying it is going to happen but the word is he liked Iowa A LOT. He would help put us back where we belong.

Reactions: Ruinous
Stop getting my hopes up weh8st8hawk:). I agree Hall would be an unbelievable "get." I think the only chance we have there is if Metcalf is helping the Hawks in one way or another recruiting him. From these boards it sounds like Hall likes the "Everybody loves to hate the Hawks." My personal opinion is Hall heads to Colorado after high school and then goes to college. This would work out perfect for the Hawks as Hall would be able to start immediately at 174lbs and not have to redshirt. BUT let's be honest I actually think Hall could beat out Meyer for 74 which is even crazy for me to think and write down.

Another possibility... Meyer and Brooks move up for their SR year:
174 Hall
184 Meyer
197 Brooks

I'm on the whatever it takes to get Hall to Iowa train.. chooo chooo

It's funny to me that Tognetti comes to our board and spouts off. He acts like Mark Hall is too good for poor ole Iowa. We are washed up and all. Does he not remember the absolute smashing we put on them in their own gym last year? He reminds me of Queso and the Clones.

It's funny to me that Tognetti comes to our board and spouts off. He acts like Mark Hall is too good for poor ole Iowa. We are washed up and all. Does he not remember the absolute smashing we put on them in their own gym last year? He reminds me of Queso and the Clones.
He is just another dipshi* like amalone and the other trolls.

You guys sure have thin skin, just because I disagree with you I'm called names (shouldn't have expected anything else from this board). Didn't put your school down, Hall doesn't fit Iowa style like Marinelli does. Will he go to Iowa (read what I'm going to say) NO. As for all the come back drug comments must mean drugs=OSU and burglary= Iowa. One self inflicted and the other is inflicting on others. I would sure rather be a doper than someone breaking into someone house (garage) and they even knew the home owner (it wasn't the only stop they made that night). As low as it gets.

Reactions: el dub
Cmon mike you begin your post on another teams site with an insult, what'd you expect? Your she post about Hall not being Iowa style or whatever at least had somd substance to it. You're better than that Mike!

You guys sure have thin skin, just because I disagree with you I'm called names (shouldn't have expected anything else from this board). Didn't put your school down, Hall doesn't fit Iowa style like Marinelli does. Will he go to Iowa (read what I'm going to say) NO. As for all the come back drug comments must mean drugs=OSU and burglary= Iowa. One self inflicted and the other is inflicting on others. I would sure rather be a doper than someone breaking into someone house (garage) and they even knew the home owner (it wasn't the only stop they made that night). As low as it gets.
Good Lord Mike did your wife leave you? This thin skin shit you use every time someone comes back on you is getting old and quite frankly your BS comments are to.

Marinelli is a solid Iowa commit. Not concerned about him decommiting. Look for several young guns kids to commit to the hawks over the next couple years. Kemerer and Young are just the beginning. Morningstar is making a second home out there.

Love the way you think, 1stplace.

Cough. . . cough. . . Lee. . . cough. . . cough. . .

Reactions: LaxHawk174
Never understood the Tognetti love. A wolf in sheep's clothing if there ever was one. Always looking for opportunities to give backhanded compliments and make snide remarks.

Just for some fun.... Iowa vs OSU next year
125: Gilman MD Klimara. Gilman puts another beating on Klimara. IA 4 OSU 0
133: Clark MD WayneHarding. Clark with a couple of take downs, a turn, and Riding time. IA 8 OSU 0
141: Heil MD Carton. Heil raised his level at the end of the year, and looked good. IA 8 OSU 4
149: Sorensen MD Collica. Kelly beat Collica something like 9-6, Sorensen is on another level from both. IA 12 OSU 4
157: Marsteller dec. Cooper/Grothus?(not according to weh8 in his thread) Marsteller is a gasser. IA 12 OSU 7
165: Dieringer MD Paddock. I expect a similar performance to the dual last year, many takedowns for dieringer. IA 12 OSU 11
174: Meyer Dec. Crutchmer. Crutcher is the highest returning AA, but Meyer has the lone H2H win last season. And I think is better. IA 15 OSU 11
184: Brooks Dec. Boyd. Brooks gets his revenge for last seasons fluke, could be a major. IA 18 OSU 11
197: Burak dec. whoever. Burak will beat anybody that OSU throws out. IA 21 OSU 11
285: Marsden dec Stoll. At this point Marsden is the favorite, but it will be a low scoring hwt affair im guessing. The jury is still out on Stoll. IA 21 OSU 14.

It won't be as much of a beatdown as last season, but i predict a comfortable win. #HawksNCAAchamps2016

That is a great way to describe him.

Tognetti is a pokes fan, so it's his duty to take shots at other squads. I don't mind his posts. Having said that, I think he should buy everyone an ice cream cone at next season's dual. That would go a long way in smoothing things over...:)

Last edited:
Just for some fun.... Iowa vs OSU next year
125: Gilman MD Klimara. Gilman puts another beating on Klimara. IA 4 OSU 0
133: Clark MD WayneHarding. Clark with a couple of take downs, a turn, and Riding time. IA 8 OSU 0
141: Heil MD Carton. Heil raised his level at the end of the year, and looked good. IA 8 OSU 4
149: Sorensen MD Collica. Kelly beat Collica something like 9-6, Sorensen is on another level from both. IA 12 OSU 4
157: Marsteller dec. Cooper/Grothus?(not according to weh8 in his thread) Marsteller is a gasser. IA 12 OSU 7
165: Dieringer MD Paddock. I expect a similar performance to the dual last year, many takedowns for dieringer. IA 12 OSU 11
174: Meyer Dec. Crutchmer. Crutcher is the highest returning AA, but Meyer has the lone H2H win last season. And I think is better. IA 15 OSU 11
184: Brooks Dec. Boyd. Brooks gets his revenge for last seasons fluke, could be a major. IA 18 OSU 11
197: Burak dec. whoever. Burak will beat anybody that OSU throws out. IA 21 OSU 11
285: Marsden dec Stoll. At this point Marsden is the favorite, but it will be a low scoring hwt affair im guessing. The jury is still out on Stoll. IA 21 OSU 14.

It won't be as much of a beatdown as last season, but i predict a comfortable win. #HawksNCAAchamps2016

I'll bite:

125 Gilman dec Klimara 3-0 IA
133 Clark MD Harding 7-0 IA
141 Heil MD Carton 7-4 IA
149 Sorenson dec Collica - Collica will be better at this weight 10-4 IA
157 Marstellar dec Cooper 10-7 IA
165 Dieringer MD Paddock 11-10 OSU
174 Crutchmer Dec Meyer 14-10 OSU
184 Brooks Dec Boyd 14-13 OSU
197 Burak Dec OSU 16-14 IA
285 Marsden Dec Stoll 17-16 OSU

174 is critical for IA, OSU could also flip 184. Rest of the bouts seem to have pretty solid favorites. This will be a tough match. Not really confident of any bonus besides Dieringer.

Personally, I think an OSU v Iowa dual will be much different than last year. Collica will be a very good 149 this year, I know Sorenson is good, but Collica is a lot closer than some of the posters seem to think. He has been giving up a lot of weight for the good of the team and even with the disadvantage has come within a hair of AA'ing. With that said I think Sorenson has a slight edge, but no way am I picking a major. I see Iowa as a clear favorite at 2 weight classes for sure (125 and 133, I could see Clark getting bonus points) and potentially 2 more (184 and 197), the later two could change though depending on what happens with OSU's lineup, still some serious question marks around Rodgers and what weight Crutchmer goes. I mean look at this break down, with just a tiny lineup adjustment the result could be drastically different (**Note this is just for discussion purposes as I don't believe this to happen in real life**)

125- Gilman dec. Kilmara 3-0 Iowa
133- Clark dec. Harding 6-0 Iowa
141- Heil MD Carton 6-4 Iowa
149- Sorenson dec. Collica (Toss up match IMO) 9-4 Iowa
157- Blees dec. Cooper 9-7 Iowa
165- Marsteller MD Paddock (He pinned him twice in the past in memory serves, high school mind you) 11-9 Okie
174- Dieringer MD Meyer 15-9 Okie
184- Crutcher dec. Brooks 18-9 Okie
197- Burak dec. Boyd/Schaffer/Rodgers 18-12 Okie
Hvy- Mardsen dec. Stoll 21-12 Okie State.

This was not my designed thread topic though. I instead wanted to consider what is looking to be a very large and a very talented recruiting class for Iowa. Perhaps the most important recruiting class since that 2010 class. Consider this:

125- Suriano, top 5 recruit
133- Yates, top 10 recruit
141- Happel, top 20 recruit, In State.
149- no recruit
157- Young, top 50 recruit, Already Committed.
165- Marinelli, top 5 recruit, Already Committed.
174- Hall, #1 overall recruit
184- Breske, top 10 recruit
197- Cook, top 75 recruit, In State.
Hvy- Gremmel, top 100 recruit to be developed behind Stoll and an in State recruit.

That is a mind blowing class. Two of these guys are locked up already and the other 7 are all very realistic. The only weight class without a recruit has a top 10 recruit in the class of 2015 in Kemerer. This class would bring home some team titles and is the topic I want to discuss not OSU.

Last edited:
125- Suriano, top 5 recruit
133- Yates, top 10 recruit
141- Happel, top 20 recruit, In State.
149- no recruit
157- Young, top 50 recruit, Already Committed.
165- Marinelli, top 5 recruit, Already Committed.
174- Hall, #1 overall recruit
184- Breske, top 10 recruit
197- Cook, top 75 recruit, In State.
Hvy- Gremmel, top 100 recruit to be developed behind Stoll and an in State recruit.

That is a mind blowing class.
If all of those kids ended up at the same school it would be mind blowing. I think minds will be safe though.

There's actually a fairly good chance that Dieringer could win this match by tech fall. He's an absolute beast and Paddock (who I think will be very good at some point) has little NCAA experience. Dieringer mopped up Nick Moore last year, if Paddock keeps it to a major = a victory for the hawks. I think Meyer's going to have a great year and will beat Crutchmer head to head. Also who are the options for Okie St at 197? If they throw out a scrub, I see know reason why our 2X AA Burak can't get a major. He just needs to get after it. Sometimes I get the sense that he doesn't realize how good he is.

I agree with you JustWrestle. I think its very plausible that we could get all of the aforementioned recruits. I get the feeling sometimes that there is a certain.. recruiting momentum amongst high school recruits during the whole process. For example.. a few highly coveted recruits all have a school in common on their final list, and see the others go there, maybe they think in their mind they could be part of the next big thing and building a team championship.

I get the feeling that this was somewhat of a factor for the recent boom of ASU recruiting, and has somewhat affected the tOSU, OSU, and PSU's. Maybe its Iowas turn for the recruiting momentum, it certainly has been long enough for a highly coveted class.

I think a lot of the recruits mentioned also fit into the 'timeline' so to speak of current studs on the team moving on, to perfectly transition from one stud to the next. Hall mentioned in his interview that he might possibly take a grayshirt before enrolling in college (perhaps similar to Buraks year at the OTC prior to Iowa) and then perhaps he would be ready to go as a true freshman, replacing Alex Meyer at 174.

Maybe this could be a little projection of some future lineups.. just for arguments sake

2016/2017
Gilman SR
Clark SR
Carton? SR
Sorensen JR
Kemerer FR
Paddock SO
Meyer SR
Brooks SR
Holloway FR
Stoll SO

*Kemerer might be the only instant impact freshman of the 2015 class, but the hopes are high for multiple instant impact guys in the 2016 class.

2017/2018
Suriano FR
Yates FR
Happel FR
Sorensen SR
Kemerer SO
Marinelli FR
Hall FR
Wilcke SO / Breske FR
Holloway SO
Stoll JR

Those two lineups alone, look like they could win titles. 2016/17 has the SR leadership for sure with more firepower in a SR class than Iowa has seen since 2010. IMO (its not my original opinion, but Dan Gable nailed this right on the head in one of his podcasts with Jason Bryant) Having the stud SR leadership is key for a team title. It's not even just being a SR, its having the one stud in your lineup, or multiple that you can count on for the team to rally behind. It was evident in the team champs the past decade and beyond. for tOSU it was obviously Striebler. With PSU it was combinations of Taylor/Ruth/Molinaro/QWright. With that 2016/17 team it will be SR's Gilman,Clark,Meyer, Brooks. Add in Sorensen, and Impact FR Kemerer, thats a beast of a core to build a team around.

With the 2017/18 team, Sorensen is the obvious leader, hopefully going for his 4th AA status, and multiple finals appearances, then the whole slew of talented FR coming in. That is the making of a multi team title run. Especially if.. oh.. someone named Spencer Lee decides to bring his talents here. Then don't forget to throw in the fact we will have a pretty darn good team this upcoming season who WILL challenge for a team title again.

But of course, like all hypothetical scenarios, its dependent on a number of things..
-developing the guys already in the room and improving
-landing the big time, game changer, recruits
and the big one
-putting our current crop of studs in the finals, we need STUD leadership on this team, which seemed to be a bit lacking this past season. One of the reasons i attribute to our underperformance. (I truly believe we had all the talent to win the title, but lacked that stud leadership in the room maybe... I have very high hopes for next years JR class though of Gilman/Clark/Meyer/Brooks to hopefully provide that stud leadership that we need.)

Reactions: WWDMHawkeye
Just for some fun.... Iowa vs OSU next year .........................................
I wouldn't call that "a comfortable win". Flip one match and it's a tie (minus bonus points)

MTog is pretty annoying for the most part, but there's no denying he loves college wrestling. Unfortunately for Hawk fans, other then "Oberbo", on the OSU forum, he's not getting much interchange from Cowboy fans because they generally aren't very knowledgeable. Just a bunch of uneducated hicks who go to rodeos and cook meth.

But back to topic... I can see a scenario where Iowa solidifies 141 and TnT contemplate pulling Kemmerer's shirt if we have a chance at a title.

I, too, have a positive vibe regarding this year's recruiting class. The results from McBono, Ramos, and Metcalf in the last year will draw some good kids to IC.

But back to topic... I can see a scenario where Iowa solidifies 141 and TnT contemplate pulling Kemmerer's shirt if we have a chance at a title.

I don't see this at all. I'm a PA guy and Kemerer will be very good, I don't see a scenario where he is scoring significant points for you guys next year. He's not a 141 and he's not ready to AA true freshman year at 157.

Relax, let him mature in the room, hit the weights and reap the benefits from 2017-2020.

It's funny cuz what I hear about Hall it always has MN in his final two schools. MN and Ok St, MN and tOSU, MN and WI(don't sleep in sconny). Heard a few rumblings of PSU and Iowa with an outside shot, but never among his final two. Just funny how the perspective and "in the know" differs between fanbases.

He has four official visits scheduled. TOSU, MN, WI and Cant recall the fourth. I want to say it was either NE of OkSt, but not certain. So when creating a favorite list I would start with those schools. He has another visit to use and he could always change his mind. Also he could choose a school he doesn't "officially" visit, guessing he has been on plenty if campuses. Whoever gets him is getting a special talent who will succeed wherever.

It's funny cuz what I hear about Hall it always has MN in his final two schools. MN and Ok St, MN and tOSU, MN and WI(don't sleep in sconny). Heard a few rumblings of PSU and Iowa with an outside shot, but never among his final two. Just funny how the perspective and "in the know" differs between fanbases.

He has four official visits scheduled. TOSU, MN, WI and Cant recall the fourth. I want to say it was either NE of OkSt, but not certain. So when creating a favorite list I would start with those schools. He has another visit to use and he could always change his mind. Also he could choose a school he doesn't "officially" visit, guessing he has been on plenty if campuses. Whoever gets him is getting a special talent who will succeed wherever.

IMO, Minnesota is out of it. Not for the lack of trying, but Mark wants to be on a bigger stage. The other 4 visits are to Okie State, Ohio State, Northwestern, and Wisconsin. Everything he says is about making a huge event out of his announcement. Reading the tea leaves....

Says he wants to wrestle in the Big Ten...eliminates Okie St.

Says he wants to have teammates who aspire for international competition. See ya Wisconsin.

Says he wants to wrestle on a big stage, this one is interesting. Carver sells out and has an atmosphere for duals that is unmatched, but IC is a small town. Columbus is a decent sized city, growing quickly, and right in between Cleveland and Cincinnati, the Buckeyes draw well for big duals, but hardly matches Carver's atmosphere, although they are moving out of St. John's Arena this coming year, so maybe that will improve. The real wildcard here is Northwestern, being in Chicago, a true international city, they have a stage that could really only be surpassed by Columbia in NYC.

I think if he wants to create a surprise event/spectacle he will choose a wildcard............Northwestern. Otherwise, I think he is all Hawkeyes.

Last edited:
Don't count Nebraska out for Suriano. I'm a Rutgers fan and would love to see him stay home but I feel he is going to Nebraska.

IMO, Minnesota is out of it. Not for the lack of trying, but Mark wants to be on a bigger stage. The other 4 visits are to Okie State, Ohio State, Northwestern, and Wisconsin. Everything he says is about making a huge event out of his announcement. Reading the tea leaves....

Says he wants to wrestle in the Big Ten...eliminates Okie St.

Says he wants to have teammates who aspire for international competition. See ya Wisconsin.

Says he wants to wrestle on a big stage, this one is interesting. Carver sells out and has an atmosphere for duals that is unmatched, but IC is a small town. Columbus is a decent sized city, growing quickly, and right in between Cleveland and Cincinnati, the Buckeyes draw well for big duals, but hardly matches Carver's atmosphere, although they are moving out of St. John's Arena this coming year, so maybe that will improve. The real wildcard here is Northwestern, being in Chicago, a true international city, they have a stage that could really only be surpassed by Columbia in NYC.

I think if he wants to create a surprise an event/spectacle he will choose a wildcard............Northwestern. Otherwise, I think he is all Hawkeyes.
this is the first I have heard of Northwestern being in the discussion let alone one of his visits. Where did u hear that? I know he said he thought of taking an official to an ivy school, so perhaps that is what he had in mind.

If MN is out of it, why take the official? He has been to the campus plenty and has a really good relationship with Eggum. Doubtful he learns much new information. If MN was truly out, then why not just rip off the bandaid and move on?

I am not saying MN is necessarily the favorite, but I do feel they are certainly still in it.

this is the first I have heard of Northwestern being in the discussion let alone one of his visits. Where did u hear that? I know he said he thought of taking an official to an ivy school, so perhaps that is what he had in mind.

If MN is out of it, why take the official? He has been to the campus plenty and has a really good relationship with Eggum. Doubtful he learns much new information. If MN was truly out, then why not just rip off the bandaid and move on?

I am not saying MN is necessarily the favorite, but I do feel they are certainly still in it.

I have absolutely no inside information on Hall. It is my personal opinion that Minnesota is out of it. I believe that he thinks he is already a rock star in Minnesota and he wants to be a Rock Star for the entire country. He wants to be a Freddy Adu, a star in a fringe sport that everyone (or most everyone) in the country knows (except actually good), perhaps Cael Sanderson is a better example (but that carries too much baggage on a wrestling forum).

I don't think I was very clear. Does that make sense? Perhaps Michael Phelps is a more apt comparison.

Last edited:
As for a big stage, Chicago is a big city, but I'd hardly say that's a big stage where wrestling is concerned. Welsh Ryan Arena is like a morgue during wrestling meets. There's almost no fan interest at NW.

Columbus is a pretty big city near some fairly large population centers, but again, tOSU doesn't consistently generate the kind of fan support that Iowa draws, by a long shot.

If you're looking for a big stage in college wrestling, Carver-Hawkeye Arena is the place to be. PSU is doing a nice job getting the fans to show up, but there's no college wrestling atmosphere like a packed Carver. It's clearly the biggest stage in D1 wrestling. Yes, Iowa City is a fairly small town, but where wrestling is concerned, it's a huge stage.

I have absolutely no inside information on Hall. It is my personal opinion that Minnesota is out of it. I believe that he thinks he is already a rock star in Minnesota and he wants to be a Rock Star for the entire country. He wants to be a Freddy Adu, a star in a fringe sport that everyone (or most everyone) in the country knows (except actually good), perhaps Cael Sanderson is a better example (but that carries too much baggage on a wrestling forum).

I don't think I was very clear. Does that make sense? Perhaps Michael Phelps is a more apt comparison.
Hall is a humble kid. He isn't wrestling for fame, but it is a biproduct. Hall will choose a university he feels comfortable at and that will make him a better person. The wrestling will take care of itself.

Hall is a humble kid. He isn't wrestling for fame, but it is a biproduct. Hall will choose a university he feels comfortable at and that will make him a better person. The wrestling will take care of itself.

I'm not disagreeing with you, but did you listen to his interview about what he would like to see happen for his commitment announcement? He wants it "live on ESPN, with multiple hats on a table, or something more extravagant." He wants to be must see tv and "put wrestling on the map."

He might be very humble, but very skilled at the hype machine, like Ali. By the way, I don't see anything wrong with what he wants to do. However, his word choice does not scream humble (and honestly he shouldn't be).

Hall is just one part of this class though.

Suriano, Yates, Breske, Happel, Young, and Marinelli. Plus some lower ranked local guys, who can be developed. This class is going to determine a lot about the Iowa program going forward, such how long the Brands stay here together and M-Star's future. I honestly think it is THAT big and significant.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT