ADVERTISEMENT

Contract

Mojumbohawk

All-Conference
Oct 14, 2001
So, if you want to keep the other coaches from using your length of contract against you, are we willing to extend Kirk's contract to 4 or 5 years ?

So, if you want to keep the other coaches from using your length of contract against you, are we willing to extend Kirk's contract to 4 or 5 years ?
I think this is a valid issue. Obviously, Barta can't do that in light of the current state of the program. The only option for Barta and KF is to just win, baby.

Reactions: MadDogC
He is under contract through 2020. No need to even discuss this for 1-2 years.

The current recruiting class is 2016. They will be the last group of players that he can "promise" that he will be here for their entire careers (5 years), unless he gets an extension after this season. It is a pertinent issue and will become considerably more significant after signing day.

The current recruiting class is 2016. They will be the last group of players that he can "promise" that he will be here for their entire careers (5 years), unless he gets an extension after this season. It is a pertinent issue and will become considerably more significant after signing day.

IF a one or two year extension would include a smaller buyout, I would be interested. It's partly why Ferentz's seat isn't as warm/hot as it could be right now, the amount is simply prohibitive at this point. With the amount each B10 school is expected to continue receiving from the B10 network/ESPN, that will continue to become less so.

of course, another part of the reason why his seat isn't hot is the unsettled situation at UI president. from what i've heard, the board of regents hasnt even begun interviews yet for the new president, so barta is just hanging out there right now. barring the bottom falling out this season (a la Fry's last year), or just something truly unexpected happening, nothing is likely to happen until a new president is named.

Yes, something needs to be done in January 2016. Either a firing or an extension. My money is on an extension.

A new president is unlikely to be named until sometime this school year, which means very little chance for a firing.

If it doesn't increase the buyout, then of course you do. I would guess something like is what will happen if this season isn't a disaster.

What is an acceptable season for most of you? With this schedule....9-3 should be the worst we do! What I think happens is 5-7 wins...

Yeah, 8-4 is the over/under on fan satisfaction this season, but who the losses are to is important. They simply cannot lose to ISU this year.

What is an acceptable season for most of you? With this schedule....9-3 should be the worst we do! What I think happens is 5-7 wins...

5-7 would likely mean a change is made IMO. However, this schedule sets up perfectly for a 9-3 type of year and most fans will be placated. But I think even a 7-5, particularly if it includes a loss to ISU, and the seat gets legitimately hot.

No way to you extend without a reduced buyout or a 9-3 season. Ferentz and his agent have held Iowa hostage in the past but they've lost considerable leverage. Barta was also burned (and he admits it), so I think he'd be very reluctant to offer an extension.

Bill Snyder has the best set up. He has a five year contract and every year he gets a 1 year extension/renewal. In my opinion, it is the only way to set up a contract in the modern era. Recruits get sold on the fact the coach will be there when they graduate and there is not a lingering albatross of a long-term deal if there is a lack of performance.

Bill Snyder has the best set up. He has a five year contract and every year he gets a 1 year extension/renewal. In my opinion, it is the only way to set up a contract in the modern era. Recruits get sold on the fact the coach will be there when they graduate and there is not a lingering albatross of a long-term deal if there is a lack of performance.

Bill Snyder's 5 year plan, is to not die.

Reactions: clickhere 01
9 wins would be an average season with this schedule. 10 + wins will get the fans back to neutral and anxiously awaiting the tougher schedule on the horizon.

9 wins would be an average season with this schedule.

liz-lemon-eye-roll.gif

Reactions: ichawk24
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT