ADVERTISEMENT

DeSanto and autism

That is incorrect and could be a basis for discrimination. No one has a legal right to know any type of condition unless the practitioner sees that person as a direct liability for harm to others or to themselves. As stated earlier, I believe that autism in this situation shouldn't even be mentioned because that is on a need to know basis and us as the general public do not fit that description. This should be based solely off of Desanto's actions and nothing further.
Wow, this is the crap that is causing real problems in today's world. How in the world did the US get so screwed up that multiple people will either voice or support such a ridiculous assertion? It's really unbelievable.

Reactions: ih8iast8
And you are absolutely correct with your comments. I have an extensive background in the health care industry as well, and this is a scenario where discrimination could apply. Autism is not to be considered a factor in this situation and Austin should be treated as any other wrestler for his actions on the mat.

I joined/follow this "wrestlers only" group on Facebook which is pretty cool/fun as lots of good posts come thru my feed on tourney (as well as youth wrestling, etc.) and couple different posts on Austin, and although the overwhelming majority of comments from folks were "he should be DQ'd, etc.", I saw quite a few comments that were effectively trying to somewhat justify his actions because he has some challenges mentally (comments varied from autism, Asperger's, etc.). Those folks were way off base as in a nutshell, they were plainly stating Austin should be treated/viewed differently than a Spencer Lee, NATO, whomever.
And you too are part of the problem. Trying to normalize people into settings they don't belong in are causing issue with everything from primary education to workplace operations.

Reactions: ih8iast8
And you too are part of the problem. Trying to normalize people into settings they don't belong in are causing issue with everything from primary education to workplace operations.
I must be missing something, cause I think he's on the same side as you were describing. Maybe I'm off base.

Reactions: Menace Sockeyes
Wow, this is the crap that is causing real problems in today's world. How in the world did the US get so screwed up that multiple people will either voice or support such a ridiculous assertion? It's really unbelievable.

I am also confused. Are you saying we should be able to openly discuss personal health information?

Reactions: ev_flores0331
That's a false statement/accusation, and by all means thanks for telling me "I'm part of the problem" as I have no idea where the hell that came from. I'm simply stating that the scenario sets the stage for discriminatory practices, and that is indeed a fact.

For what it's worth, I grew up around more than one autistic child given my mother worked with high risk/special needs kids so I had a fair amount of interaction with kids that were extremely challenged and I have a lot of empathy for any single person that's impacted by this.

There's certainly no need to throw any negative/accusatory comments my way. Cheers

That's a false statement/accusation, and by all means thanks for telling me "I'm part of the problem" as I have no idea where the hell that came from. I'm simply stating that the scenario sets the stage for discriminatory practices, and that is indeed a fact.

For what it's worth, I grew up around more than one autistic child given my mother worked with high risk/special needs kids so I had a fair amount of interaction with kids that were extremely challenged and I have a lot of empathy for any single person that's impacted by this.

There's certainly no need to throw any negative/accusatory comments my way. Cheers
For whatever it's worth and for most not much assuredly (LOL!), but I thought you gave a well thought out and reasonable view to both sides of the equation. But I'm not all that bright, so as stated, take it for what it's worth! ;)

I too am glad there are people to care for those affected by this, thru no fault of their own. Not sure I have the disposition required, but I know several people that do work with these kids, and they have some tough days to be sure. Kudo's to all of them, parents, caregiver's, whomever. Tough duty.

Reactions: shobart
I am also confused. Are you saying we should be able to openly discuss personal health information?
I think what is being said is that if he wants to continue wrestling then he needs to provide authorization that his medical condition and possible responses to stress be made known to those who are in control of the matches he participates in.

Edit: to say if he is “allowed” to continue wrestling.

Last edited:

Do you have enough experience working in primary education to back up your assertion?

Reactions: Kwoodhawk
Let me again emphasize Desanto s actions were completely out of line and I am not singling him out I have said in past threads he is one of my favorite to watch because of his passion and aggressiveness.. “ It is the job” of the referees to keep these athletes safe first and foremost. There is a serious flaw in the operations of the referees association.... IT NEEDS TO BE ADDRESSED

Do you have enough experience working in primary education to back up your assertion?

I believe most would feel that the scenario you described where someone head butted a teacher 3 times and concussed her is part of the problem. You or I do that and it’s assault. The kid with autism does it, and is still in school, but now we are dedicating even more resources and money to them as they have to have a personal attendant 24/7 in school.

Those above saying you cant treat them differently based on medical issues, really mean it’s ok to treat them better based on medical issues, and in fact we are required to, but never worse...

As noted above, im ok with giving everyone a fair chanice, but you become a problem, distraction and risk/threat to the teacher and the rest of the students in the class, then you need to be removed...

I think what is being said is that if he wants to continue wrestling then he needs to provide authorization that his medical condition and possible responses to stress be made known to those who are in control of the matches he participates in.

This would never happen. I think everyone is on the same page as far as his actions should have consequences, but what I think is being misinterpreted is that his condition should have nothing to do with it. If he continues to act like that he should be disqualified.. medical condition or not.

Reactions: shobart
I must be missing something, cause I think he's on the same side as you were describing. Maybe I'm off base.

I think or at least hope so. For whatever it is worth, I'm of the personal opinion that Austin, or any other wrestler for that matter, should be DQ'd immediately for those type of actions. That was pure intent to harm, and there's no room for that in the sport. My stomach was turning in knots just watching it, and I'm glad Micic wasn't injured.

GG, first of all, thanks for serving as a teacher and especially your contribution to those with additional challenges. I've spent most of my career in law enforcement and while some say they can't imagine what I do, I can't imagine what you teachers do, especially in today's culture.

There is a rise in autism as well as an awareness of other developmental disorders and even mental illness (not equating mental illness with autism). If someone is incapable of controlling themselves, then someone else must be responsible for them. They can become a ward of the state or family or guardians can step in. At 18-19 years of age, there's no way this was his first outburst when things weren't going well for him. He poses a danger. His condition renders him incapable of controlling himself in some situations. Someone of GG's background and education may feel like they can diffuse the situation when someone gets violent, but even a child with a disability rights end where the other person's nose begins. I don't have an answer to how we collectively deal with the growing problems like this in society, but I have seen many times, first hand, that wanting them to feel mainstream does not end well.

No one got injured today. A bunch of wrestling nuts aren't going to solve this issue, but I appreciate the dialog. No need to tell each other what d bags someone is because they disagree with you. If GG ever wanted to hold a discussion panel on this, I would gladly join to help further the conversation. Not everyone on here is like hawkhammer. We can have civil discourse and maybe even contribute to our community and show that even the nutty wrestling fans have something to offer.

I believe most would feel that the scenario you described where someone head butted a teacher 3 times and concussed her is part of the problem. You or I do that and it’s assault. The kid with autism does it, and is still in school, but now we are dedicating even more resources and money to them as they have to have a personal attendant 24/7 in school.

Those above saying you cant treat them differently based on medical issues, really mean it’s ok to treat them better based on medical issues, and in fact we are required to, but never worse...

As noted above, im ok with giving everyone a fair chanice, but you become a problem, distraction and risk/threat to the teacher and the rest of the students in the class, then you need to be removed...

Said teacher would disagree with you . She works every day to make the young man's future the best it can be while also serving the needs of 10 other students. That's what good teachers do.

Said teacher would disagree with you . She works every day to make the young man's future the best it can be while also serving the needs of 10 other students. That's what good teachers do.

A good portion of my family work in education, some as student aides as you note. Everyone deserves a chance, I’m good with that. I’m not saying everyone should be kicked out and put in an alternative school, or we shouldn’t give them the extra help they need.

But similar to as chooseneutral noted a few posts above, in our district, we have students in classrooms, who have to have the police called on them on nearly a weekly basis to be restrained from harming others or themselves. The entire class has to move their desks and stand out of the way during this time. Recently, one of the students threatened a teacher with scissors and was going to stab her and had to be restrained. Not a classroom I want my child in, for fear of their own safety. It only takes once for that student to make a move before being restrained to ruin another students or teachers life. At some point, the threat/risk just has to be removed.

Last edited:
You want Mike Allen fired?
I want someone to straighten out the ongoing issues involving the referees period. so if that means holding “Mike Allen” accountable then yes. Again is Mike Allen the one who is solely responsible for the actions of the refs probably not. Whoever is, needs to be accountable....

You guys aren't wrong. Gonegolfing has a history of looking to take offense to anything that even remotely contradicts his Sean Hannity-style worldview.

So please since you are obviously a big fan of Mike Allen , who is responsible and will the refs that were on the mat during the Micic DeSanto match be repremanded
The Ref's have a tough gig. They could have been looking at all kinds of things, and DeSanto had just done a cartwheel for God's sake. They're human, and maybe they did a lousy job in this particular instance, but then again maybe not. They aren't mind readers, and they don't have superhuman speed or strength.

The Ref's have a tough gig. They could have been looking at all kinds of things, and DeSanto had just done a cartwheel for God's sake. They're human, and maybe they did a lousy job in this particular instance, but then again maybe not. They aren't mind readers, and they don't have superhuman speed or strength.

2nd ref caught it right away. Had to pry the kid off of him.

Dude, give it a rest. You are threatening someone 9 months in on chemo? You must really be a treat...And you might want to reread my posts, I never once said I didn’t care about kids with autism. I said I was sorry you have to deal with and I can’t relate, and know it must be hard, as in sympathetic to your plight. I also said kids with autism deserve to be in schools with other students and given extra resources if necessary. The only place I differ is if/when they become a liability/threat to the other students or teachers. Good lord...

From my screen, you are having an argument with yourself :cool:

As GG suggests, autism is a spectrum of behaviors, not stereotype. Many, many people have mild autistic spectrum behaviors. I work with a great many people in the sciences, and lots of them are somewhere on the highly functional edge of the spectrum. Several of them are my good friends. Some are capable of deep affection and kindness, but they sometimes may show it differently. (Think of the TV show Big Bang Theory) We have saying at our science magazine, that if you eliminated everyone who is on the spectrum, there would be few people to read it and even fewer to write it. Many of you probably work with somebody like this, too, but you may not be aware of it.

Other cases, like another good friend's son, have autism so severe that they require institutionalization. Having autism, however, is never an excuse for dangerous behavior from anyone at anytime. As GG says, socialization and education are essential to preventing dangerous behaviors, just like the rest of us.

Last edited:
Reactions: IAHWKGUY

And that's why GG VOLUNTEERS to go to classrooms and help. People are being treated "better?" No, people are given a chance, and folks like GG make it possible for someone to hope for more normal life.

Reactions: ev_flores0331
One thing to factor in is the development of Austin to hopefully have him be a productive member of society and not some violent offender of some sort. A lot of discussion is being discussed about how he should or should not be punished with the underlying concern being how it affects the Hawks and their chances as a team. IMHO
What would the proper response be if it had no effect on the Hawks. That is how it should be handled, if AD is the main concern and not the Hawks. I truly do not know the answer.
God bless the people who dedicate their lives to helping kids like this. They never really know if they are helping and they face set back after set back. For what? - To help another human being lead a productive and hopefully fulfilling life.
It is easy to be hard hearted and say the kid should be treated like everyone else. The reason it is so easy is, because if you try to help Autistic kids it does not really end. It can tear your heart out. On the other hand, whose problem is an autistic child or adult? Tough questions with no real clear cut answers.
There is a great quote in the movie - The Accountant. - "Sooner or later, different scares people". AD is different. Lets hope he does not get to the point where he scares people.

This thread should be deleted, nothing good can come from it. Too many ignorant people out there looking to attack a kid and diving into very personal medical info to do it.

The guy has been pumped up to win matches for himself and the hawks - have some loyalty jeez
I agree. I dont see why this got dug up.

Reactions: natchrlman
This thread should be deleted, nothing good can come from it. Too many ignorant people out there looking to attack a kid and diving into very personal medical info to do it.

The guy has been pumped up to win matches for himself and the hawks - have some loyalty jeez
I agree. I dont see why this got dug up.
Well apparently the guy that bumped it” Cropduster” is on my block list..... guessing its another fing Troll trying to stir shit up....pathetic

Well apparently the guy that bumped it” Cropduster” is on my block list..... guessing its another fing Troll trying to stir shit up....pathetic
just an FYI, Crop didn't bump it is was CaliforniaGold. That was an old post from Crop that got quoted.
Well I didn’t see crop dusters post until it was quoted..... led me to believe there was something I couldn’t see because he was blocked.....I have developed zero tolerance for people trolling these boards and trying to stir shit up...Once I hit my bullshit threshold I can become pretty unreasonable ;)

Reactions: 24 so far
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT