ADVERTISEMENT

Favorite type of wine?

BrunoMars420

HR Legend
Feb 14, 2016
As I’m growing older and wiser I have been really digging the wine. After trial and error the last couple of months I have found myself to favor Chardonnay’s, red blends, and Zinfandel’s. I’m still in search of my favorite wines but according to my Vivino app I have Rombauer Chardonnay #1 and Highlands 41 Black Granite red blend #2.

Also for you stoners out there, get high then drink wine like a snob where you sniff, drink, swirl in the mouth and swallow. The levels of the taste of the wine hits way different and is great.

Reactions: Torg
My overall favorite is Zinfandel. We are club members at Wilson Winery. They own 10 other wineries, all are very good.
Buzz%20RSV%20Zin3.png

As I’m growing older and wiser I have been really digging the wine. After trial and error the last couple of months I have found myself to favor Chardonnay’s, red blends, and Zinfandel’s. I’m still in search of my favorite wines but according to my Vivino app I have Rombauer Chardonnay #1 and Highlands 41 Black Granite red blend #2.

Also for you stoners out there, get high then drink wine like a snob where you sniff, drink, swirl in the mouth and swallow. The levels of the taste of the wine hits way different and is great.
I just picked up a Rombauer Zin. Recommended to me. Looking forward to it.

Reactions: BrunoMars420
Never forget:

Sonoma makes great wines.

Napa makes Auto Parts.

I would say a dry Pinot Grigio for whites. I like those for when I’m drinking wine instead of beer or a cocktail. For reds a cab is hard to beat. A Zinfandel is close. I mostly like those with a meal. Too much red wine really screws with my system the next day.

Reactions: beanerhawk and Torg

TBW drinks about a pallet of Ramey Chardonnay a week it seems. Her backup is Jordan. I do like both also.
Red’s are almost always tuscan chianti reserves. Poggio Amorelli are best.

Old world Merlots for me. Also like several of the Cali cabs. The wife has a Stag’s Leap membership. Cask 23 is my last supper wine.

Instead of picking out varietals, it's better to pick out flavor profiles you like and then look for varietals that match that. Why do you like Chardonnay and Zinfandel's? Red blends are hard because they can be anything, but again you can pull out the flavors in them.

For example, in whites I prefer for citrus and apple flavored wine that are dry and high acid. I prefer dry German Style Rieslings (not sweet American style) and Sauvignon Blancs. New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc, has a distinct herbaceous flavor profile and come off as very grassy and sometimes have a lot of green bell pepper. I don't particularly care for NZ style.

Fun experiments
Verticals- Try to get bottles of the same wine across different vintages. See what the weather did to the wine. My wife likes dry, hot Pinot Noir years (considered good years) and I like wet years. Dry hot years bring out more fruit. Wet years bring out more peat moss, barnyard, wet horse blanket flavors.

Horizontals- Pick out 3 wines from same year and region. Rombauer is in Napa so find 3 similar Napa Chardonnays from the same year and see what makes them different- Production influences, climate of the subregion, and soil type have huge effects.

I highly recommend if you like Rombauer chardonay to do this: Rombauer Chardonay sits a long time in oak and have a very creamy buttery taste. These styles are becoming a bit of an old holdover from 1980s Napa, CA. Some people love them many people dis on them. Like fashion trends wine preferences change. I don't mind them as they pair great with buttery crab or lobster. My wife hates them. Find a producer in Napa that does steel barrel aging or limited oak exposure. Then get some French Chablis of the same year (no oak at all). They are all the same grape but an amazingly different product in the end.

Go to a wine store and not a liquor store. There is a wine store guy who knows his stuff. I recommend you buy a more expensive bottle to compare. Lots of wine in the 20-50 dollar category is fantastic. The top Napa cab sauvs from high end producers will run 125. There are lots of good cabs at similar places for 80. I can't tell the difference between 80 and 125. 50-80 is light years ahead of 10-20 in terms of quality and taste. If you get deep into this hobby you can never drink the glass of wine at work hotel conferences.

I like a nice dry red.....I am not fancy enough to know an exact brand or anything.

With the right pairing of food, white wine is alright if not too sweet.

I do enjoy the "wine drunk" as it hits a little different, but man can it make a guys head hurt in the morning if he accidently over indulges.

Drunk Tim And Eric GIF

Cabernet Sauvignon for me. But I generally like all red wines--Pinot Noir is good too.

Not an oenophile so I don't know squat about regions, years, etc. I just know what I like.

TBW drinks about a pallet of Ramey Chardonnay a week it seems. Her backup is Jordan. I do like both also.
Red’s are almost always tuscan chianti reserves. Poggio Amorelli are best.
I am looking forward to trying good chiantis in Italy this summer. The ones I have had here in Iowa aren't that great tasting, relatively speaking. Even the pricier ones that are carried. That that being said, I have not broken the bank on them or special ordered something from somewhere else. If you have recommendations for brands/vintages for a dry chianti for when I'm over there, I'm all ears!

I am looking forward to trying good chiantis in Italy this summer. The ones I have had here in Iowa aren't that great tasting, relatively speaking. Even the pricier ones that are carried. That that being said, I have not broken the bank on them or special ordered something from somewhere else. If you have recommendations for brands/vintages for a dry chianti for when I'm over there, I'm all ears!
Visit the poggio amorelli winery for tasting/lunch.
Great reds.

Reactions: Tenacious E
There are several french style wineries from Paso Robles that I enjoy I find pinot noirs and cabs to be the most interesting to compare from region to region...even winery to winery. I avoid Cali chardonnays because they are over-oaked. Some of the unoaked varietals and natural wines are interesting.

The stuff we had in France was fantastic.

Saturday, we went to this restaurant https://www.bludornrestaurant.com/

and I had a glass of the 2020 Pinot from Wilmette Valley https://www.bludornrestaurant.com/ with my gnocchi and it was very good. Going to look for it.

Also had a glass of Cuvee Leonie brut with the app of oysters and it was fantastic. I tend to stay with French champagne rather than sparkling wines from other regions

There are several french style wineries from Paso Robles that I enjoy I find pinot noirs and cabs to be the most interesting to compare from region to region...even winery to winery. I avoid Cali chardonnays because they are over-oaked. Some of the unoaked varietals and natural wines are interesting.

The stuff we had in France was fantastic.

Saturday, we went to this restaurant https://www.bludornrestaurant.com/

and I had a glass of the 2020 Pinot from Wilmette Valley https://www.bludornrestaurant.com/ with my gnocchi and it was very good. Going to look for it.

Also had a glass of Cuvee Leonie brut with the app of oysters and it was fantastic. I tend to stay with French champagne rather than sparkling wines from other regions
Just perused the menu. A 48 oz Wagyu tomahawk??? What grade is it? Here in DSM at one steakhouse, it is $36 per oz for a NY strip. That's a $1,700 steak.

Last edited:
  • Wow
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT