ADVERTISEMENT

Flo-FRL Okie St vs Iowa

so cal hawkfan

HR All-American
Jun 5, 2012
Whittier CA
I’m aware there are a lot of Non Flo fans on here but I just listed to Flo Radio Live and they had their never too early whiteboard war: Iowa vs Okie St. The conversation was at minimum very interesting. The four Flo columnists weighing in were CP, Willie, Kyle Bradke and the Wrestling Nomad. Only CP had Okie St winning and that was by 3. They all had similar match by match results. They also made some assumptions with regards to Okie States and Iowa’s lineups. The breakdown is as follows ( might screw up some details, feel free to correct me)

125 Lee vs Fix- Most were fairly certain Fix is headed down to 125 and all four had Lee winning comfortably but not scoring bonus.

133 Piccinnini vs DeSanto- I believe three out of the four picked Picc. They had concerns about DeSanto getting stuck under Picc, who wrestles well on top. They all said DeSantos pace and size may get to Picc, but felt that Picc is overall the better wrestler.

141 Murin vs Kaid Brock- Unanimously everyone picked Brock by decision.

149 Lugo vs Boo LeWallen- Unanimously everyone picked Lugo by decision.

157 Young vs Shomers- Everyone picked Shomers. Everyone cited Young wrestling up at 174 last year and likely a natural 165 pounder. Nomad mentioned if Young can figure out the weight, he’ll be tough.

165- Marinelli vs Jo Jo- The Bull was a unanimous pick based on pace. Decisions all around.

174- Kemmerer vs Chandler Rogers- Kemmerer for the above listed reasons.

184- Wilcke vs Dakota Geer ( CP thinks it’ll be Jacobe Smith who AAd last year)
Three out of the four picked Geer. Nomad picked Cash.

197- Warner vs Weigel- Only Willie picked Warner saying it’s a bad matchup for Weigel.

Hwt White vs Stoll- Split 2-2. Cited last year Stoll won in Tie Breaker and this year Sam is recovering from a GSW. Lots of jokes predicting that unlike many HWT matches it’ll be a shoot out. Stoll is ranked pre season #1......with a bullet. Pretty funny.

Interesting they have Kaden Gfellar on the bench. Should be a good dual in Stillwater.

Man my black and gold koolaid is strong this time of year! I look at it and have us winning at least 8 matches with a chance at a shutout and I’m sober! If I had to put money on every single match the only loss I have is Murin and I think he has a very good chance still.

Reactions: Mendoza77
Man my black and gold koolaid is strong this time of year! I look at it and have us winning at least 8 matches with a chance at a shutout and I’m sober! If I had to put money on every single match the only loss I have is Murin and I think he has a very good chance still.
I agree and if they bump Picc up to 133 I think DeSantos score bonus and we win the first two matches. I think DeSantos will run Picc off the mat. I think if Fix wrestles 133 we split the first two weights, with Lee beating Picc and Fix winning at 133, so if they do keep Fix down I think it helps our team score.

Listened to it today...some good takes and some weird ones. At first, everybody was pretty sure about Geer over Wilcke which I think that one is a pretty safe one for Iowa. Also, Picc over DeSanto. Iowa has 6 months to get him good on bottom in time for the big duals.

I think a lot of folks are underestimating Young and making bad arguments. Last year, he did wrestle 79KG but he was very small...dude who beat him in the finals was huge compared to him. He could have easily wrestled 74KG but they were trying to move him up. The guy just couldn't put on weight. If Kemerer hadn't been at 57 last year, Young would have been our guy. He placed 5th at 165 MIdlands whereas Sholmers went 2-2 at 157 and had some bad losses. I guess maybe I am higher on Kaleb than some.

Even that bastard Nomad picked Lee (just kidding Nomad) which makes me a bit nervous. But you can't be too pissed at Flo because Iowa is going to have a pretty new lineup with guys who have a lot to prove.

Listened to it today...some good takes and some weird ones. At first, everybody was pretty sure about Geer over Wilcke which I think that one is a pretty safe one for Iowa. Also, Picc over DeSanto. Iowa has 6 months to get him good on bottom in time for the big duals.

I think a lot of folks are underestimating Young and making bad arguments. Last year, he did wrestle 79KG but he was very small...dude who beat him in the finals was huge compared to him. He could have easily wrestled 74KG but they were trying to move him up. The guy just couldn't put on weight. If Kemerer hadn't been at 57 last year, Young would have been our guy. He placed 5th at 165 MIdlands whereas Sholmers went 2-2 at 157 and had some bad losses. I guess maybe I am higher on Kaleb than some.

Even that bastard Nomad picked Lee (just kidding Nomad) which makes me a bit nervous. But you can't be too pissed at Flo because Iowa is going to have a pretty new lineup with guys who have a lot to prove.
Feel really good about Young and DeSanto in those matches.

Young did look very small even at 65, hope he kicks some arse at 57 - definitely think it’s his best weight

OK - why can't I see this on the Official Iowa schedule (not even on the OKST sched) - is this a secret match on the football field in October?

Funny that it just took 5 short months (and only one tournament of matches) for Flo to change Lee from "the field" to unanimously picking him to win comfortably over Fix. Did they ever acknowledge including Lee in the field. Sorry that's low hanging fruit. =P

Whenever it is, I plan to go. In the past I’ve always gotten general admission tickets to GIA at the gate. I’d love to get good tickets for this year in the Iowa section. Either on the floor or in the ticketed balcony. You can’t buy those at the gate. Does anyone know how I could get them?

I enjoyed this one very much. I think Iowa actually wins this dual handily but I thought they did a very good job explaining most of their picks.

Reactions: TarpHawk

Young looked tough in his big matches, falling short to Walsh and Amine, and I think one other one, can’t remember now. And seeing him tech Shields in freestyle was pretty awesome, too! I know it’s only one win, but he’s gonna be solid.

Would Lee come up to 33 to wrestle Fix in a super match like Gross/Meredith last year?

Sounds fun on paper, but I would doubt it since you'd likely give away the 125 match and I think you'd want DeSanto or Renteria to have chance to wrestle Fix before nationals. If Lee were to lose and you drop the first two weights, you make the margin for error the rest of the dual extremely small. More likely that a 133 Fix would drop and take the chance of OSU getting two wins than Lee going up.

With all the disrespect Lee got last year and the implications many made about the WTT and not facing Fix or Gilman it's going to be Interesting. John Smith and his staff can prepare all they want, but I think Lee will try to make a statement. When choice comes I hope Lee chooses to put Fix down and just hammer him.

It pales, in comparison, to the showers in Happy Valley. How do I insert a smily emoji here so it seems like I'm kidding and I don't offend anyone?

I don't like to make light of what happened, but yeah, I guess I walked right into that one. :oops:

With all the disrespect Lee got last year and the implications many made about the WTT and not facing Fix or Gilman it's going to be Interesting. John Smith and his staff can prepare all they want, but I think Lee will try to make a statement. When choice comes I hope Lee chooses to put Fix down and just hammer him.

Isn't that what he did vs. Picc in last year's dual?

Reactions: Dagboi
Lots of swing matches... 125 (nobody will like me saying this, but it isn't untrue), 133, 149, 165, 174, 197 and heavy should all be swing matches potentially. I'll take Lee, Marinelli and Warner out of that group. Until I see Kem at 174 I can't give him the benefit of the doubt. Rogers is dangerous and if he is a solid 8 pounds bigger then I am nervous, that's a lot of size advantage for a guy who loves going upper body so much. Can't wait to travel to Stillwater to see this one go down. This will be THE dual of the year all around IMO

Based on the scheduling available from other schools, it would appear Sunday Jan. 20. Would be a favorable date.

Stick to drinking.

Whenever it is, I plan to go. In the past I’ve always gotten general admission tickets to GIA at the gate. I’d love to get good tickets for this year in the Iowa section. Either on the floor or in the ticketed balcony. You can’t buy those at the gate. Does anyone know how I could get them?
Get you some season tickets! :eek:

Are you planning on going to see UALR when they start up?

Get you some season tickets! :eek:

Are you planning on going to see UALR when they start up?

Thanks. I thought it might have to be something like that. I’m still waiting for UALR to post their schedule, but I a coach youth team, so it’s gonna be hard with our own tournaments every weekend. I’m hoping they do a few neutral site meets around the state to create some exposure. Thad save me the 3-hour drive.

Thanks. I thought it might have to be something like that. I’m still waiting for UALR to post their schedule, but I a coach youth team, so it’s gonna be hard with our own tournaments every weekend. I’m hoping they do a few neutral site meets around the state to create some exposure. Thad save me the 3-hour drive.

They’re not wrestling until the 2019-2020 season, right?

As a parent of high school wrestlers and a part time youth coach, I hate the Friday night duals. Either at a HS tournament, or need to sleep before the youth tournament. I can feel your pain.

Reactions: 1stplacehawk
125: Bonus Hawks 5-0
133: Dec Oky State 5-3
141: Small and I mean Small advantage Oky State mainly because it's down there. 5-6
149: Small advantage Hawks 8-6
157: I'll take Young all day. 11-6
165: Jo Jo has a SMALL advantage here see 141. 11-9
174: Kemdawg BIG. 15-9
184: Dont know if I can trust Cash yet 15-12
197: LOVE Warner but Weigel is a Bad matchup for him. 15-15
Comes down to Hwt. Still gets the pin 21-15 Hawks!!
A lot of swing matches 125 is a lock for Iowa could bonus anybody even if it is Fix he is that good. 133 will go to Iowa if its Pic but if its Fix I dont like Iowa's chances Carver MAYBE but doubtful. 141 could go either way but home mat to much for Murin. 149 could go either way also but says Lugo wins though. 157 is a swing also. I just like Young to much. Bull Could win on pace alone but JO Jo is one slick customer. 174 is a lock for Iowa and should be bonus pts. 184 I just dont trust Cash yet but he could get it done. 197 Warner could win but once again it's down there so they have the advantage. Still will win either gonna be a early pin or a methodical decision.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT