ADVERTISEMENT

Get JB to coach

CatCoach

HR All-State
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Do you think Jordan Burroughs will have enough of an axe to grind with PSU after OTT's to want to come to IOWA as a coach and beat PSU?
He and Mesenbrink had quite a few exchanges at the end of that match and Jordan will have Nolf next. PSU crowd Booing JB pretty hard.
MM was being a punk at the end of their match and JB gave him a good head shove/punch, then ALOT of words exchanged.

Do you think Jordan Burroughs will have enough of an axe to grind with PSU after OTT's to want to come to IOWA as a coach and beat PSU?
He and Mesenbrink had quite a few exchanges at the end of that match and Jordan will have Nolf next. PSU crowd Booing JB pretty hard.
MM was being a punk at the end of their match and JB gave him a good head shove/punch, then ALOT of words exchanged.
Not sure about him? I for one certainly would. TERRIBLE look for F*** st. BAD day for USA wrestling!!!

1st SMACK talk then going after him after the whistle? AND to top it off BOOING a legend in the sport!!!

Why do you think he can coach , build, and manage a program? Outside of maybe he has an axe to grind? Why would he succeed more than Manning? Tom Ryan? Or Tom Brands?

Why not just host an MMA match between Taylor and Burroughs for the coaching job? I saw a video recently where Taylor called Burroughs out so I guess they have some issues.

I just don't see Tom Brands letting go of his own brother or Ryan Morningstar to bring in JB. If one of them happened to leave on their own then maybe. We'll have the same coaching staff next season
MSU has posted a lot about these proposed changes. How do you know they’ll be better? I used to watch a lot of baseball as a kid, and one of the common things that was often sad is that a great player doesn’t often make a great culture manager. I guess Ted Williams tried it and he didn’t do too well. Look at some of the great managers? Sparky Anderson, Tommy Lasorda, I barely even recall their playing days.

Billy Martin did well as did Lou Pinella, but many were just ok players.

Reactions: Exo
1. Yes. Tom should go get JB and jden. Can still keep Terry at that point.

2. If you’ve ever been around JB, you’d know he can coach. Has a mind for it, and doesn’t just rely on his physical gifts. Just as a reminder - his physical gifts were t enough to even AA. He had to actually dedicate himself to the sport to start winning. And even then - it was 3rd first.

3. The sell really is - let’s go take out PSU. And now you have real ammo. JB has the name for this generation, and both he and jden will be able to wrestle in the room for a long time.

JB would also make a fantastic FS coach.

Not sure about him? I for one certainly would. TERRIBLE look for F*** st. BAD day for USA wrestling!!!

1st SMACK talk then going after him after the whistle? AND to top it off BOOING a legend in the sport!!!
Bad look for the GOAT yesterday. JB initiated the smack talk, kept running his mouth on multiple occasions, displayed poor sportsmanship, and sadly engaged a fan along with his whiny coach.

As a PS fan, I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't be a bit concerned if he joined your staff.

But if the Brands are still around, there's nothing to worry about.

MM was being a punk at the end of their match and JB gave him a good head shove/punch, then ALOT of words exchange
I always assumed he would coach at Nebby.

MSU has posted a lot about these proposed changes. How do you know they’ll be better? I used to watch a lot of baseball as a kid, and one of the common things that was often sad is that a great player doesn’t often make a great culture manager. I guess Ted Williams tried it and he didn’t do too well. Look at some of the great managers? Sparky Anderson, Tommy Lasorda, I barely even recall their playing days.

How do you know they won’t be better. See it works both ways. Won’t know until you try it. Most wrestling coaches were former good, great, generational wrestlers. There is a detailed history of this now.

Seems like wrestling is a sport where the coach needs/tends to have to have a lot of pedigree on the mat. Conversely, look at the NBA, there are a bunch of short white dudes coaching. E.G. Van Gundy's, lol.

How do you know they won’t be better. See it works both ways. Won’t know until you try it. Most wrestling coaches were former good, great, generational wrestlers. There is a detailed history of this now.
Difference is if you try and it doesn't work, and try again etc. over and over you become Notre Dame football. You want GOAT level success, that's not easy to accomplish.

I'm with you in most sports but there's something about wrestling that's just different. Almost all of the great coaches were also great wrestlers. That said, the reverse hasn't always been true.

I always assumed he would coach at Nebby.

That's Snyder's job in the next couple of years.

Difference is if you try and it doesn't work, and try again etc. over and over you become Notre Dame football. You want GOAT level success, that's not easy to accomplish.
Well the job application for a wrestling coach should include must be able to do hard things. Listen, being a Goat, and I absolutely loathe that term, isn’t supposed to be easy. Hell by literal definition of the word there can be only one.

The best coaches in college wrestling, historically have been great wrestlers. That’s just the facts as it currently stands.

Well the job application for a wrestling coach should include must be able to do hard things. Listen, being a Goat, and I absolutely loathe that term, isn’t supposed to be easy. Hell by literal definition of the word there can be only one.

The best coaches in college wrestling, historically have been great wrestlers. That’s just the facts as it currently stands.
Like Tom Brands? An Olympic gold medalist. Or Tom Ryan? He’s pretty good pedigree wise.

That’s not what Iowa wants, they want to be on top and assuming this or that guy is the next Gable or Cael is quite the stretch.

Brands is a very good coach, but people don’t want that, they want Cael part 2 or Gable part 2. That’s a tall order to fill. I’m sure any of the name tossed around would do a fine job, but will they pull ahead of Cael prior to him retiring? And if he is going to retire wouldn’t PSU be a pretty attractive destination based on current history and geography?

This is the fan dilemma , we aren’t successful enough and of course we were touched by God to dominate whatever sport we’re talking about. But every fan base thinks this and criticizing coaches is fair and too be expected .

The tough part is getting that operating at a high level is tough and getting there is a much more difficult job than just running a great program .

I'm with you in most sports but there's something about wrestling that's just different. Almost all of the great coaches were also great wrestlers. That said, the reverse hasn't always been true.

That's Snyder's job in the next couple of years.
I do agree but I’m thinking people here want top of the mountain. That’s tough to figure out in the here and now. I’m betting the next great coach wherever might be an unknown as of now.

Sanderson was obviously a known quantity but his assistants all came with him. So the next big one probably already has a crew or guys that will follow.

Who knows?

Bad look for the GOAT yesterday. JB initiated the smack talk, kept running his mouth on multiple occasions, displayed poor sportsmanship, and sadly engaged a fan along with his whiny coach.

As a PS fan, I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't be a bit concerned if he joined your staff.

But if the Brands are still around, there's nothing to worry about.
Lol messenbrink wrestled like a turd from start to finish. Repeated warnings from the ref and he still wouldn't stop being a douche. Ref lost control of the match and Burroughs response to messenbrink being a punk was justified imo. Penn state fans were totally classless at the end.

I'm not connected like so many of you, but my priority would be someone who's got a storied background, who's an offensive minded wrestler, and who can pull in recruits from across the country, and in doing so take away some of Cael's recruits. Outside of guys like DT and Dake I don't know who fits the final piece. Is JB loved enough across the country to pull in the top tier recruits? If we can't beat or at least be comparable to PSU in the recruiting game we can't win IMO.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT