ADVERTISEMENT

Getting to 85

I seem to recall there was a ruling that full scholarships for sports in the B1G were basically a 4 year contract? I'm sure somebody on here knows the rules and will respond.
Sure...there is a misunderstanding to this...it's up to 4 full years with graduation making it up to the school to renew. So if a kid graduates in 3 they no longer need to honor it...the school is not required to pay for a kid's graduate school...and of course they are not required to admit them to a grad program.

Now here is the thing...players are now full year students. That means you are taking 1.5 years of credits each year. Add in two other parts...kids who enroll early and the fact that AP credits are so prevalent these days that some kids are taking weird AP classes as early as their freshman year in HS...my now HS senior niece will be entering Duke next year as a technical sophomore

It's gotten to the point that if you are a 5th schollie player and haven't finished undergrad you're probably ineligible...a significant number finish in 3 (ee=minimum half a year...but more likely 1 unless they make you take classes that dont count towards graduating, 3 years= 4.5...so way over).

At that point "NIL" can kick in...take the kid off schollie but pay for his school through collectives

Last edited:
Now here is the thing...players are now full year students. That means you are taking 1.5 years of credits each year. Add in two other parts...kids who enroll early and the fact that AP credits are so prevalent these days that some kids are taking weird AP classes as early as their freshman year in HS...my now HS senior niece will be entering Duke next year as a technical sophomore

At that point "NIL" can kick in...take the kid off schollie but pay for his school through collectives
Summer school is NOT 1/2 year of credits. If you are really good maybe 12 credits max, but I think most take 6-9 credits.

Summer school is NOT 1/2 year of credits. If you are really good maybe 12 credits max, but I think most take 6-9 credits.
Depends on the school...some schools do the "trimester" system others have a different set up...

For example: Michigan has 4 semesters. There are Fall and Winter semesters. That's the tradition school year (most go off and do an internship or random summer job during the "summer"). Then we have two half semesters (semester is shorter but hours per week doubled...for example, if you are taking a 3 credit hour class it is 6 hours per week): spring and summer. The typical is you take two classes in each.

That is a minimum of 6 credit hours in each semester (two 3 credit hour classes) but the average is probably 7 (one 3 hour, one 4 hour) with a decent number taking 8 credit hours (obviously two 4 credit hour classes).

The typical student is not taking all 4 semesters each year. But football players are. So they are probably averaging 15 credit hours in spring and summer. That is a full semester. Of course they are only taking 12 credit hours (the minimum to be considered a full time student) in the fall to compensate for FB season. So not all graduate in their 3rd year of eligibility but a significant number do especially if they enrolled early...

...as I said...if it takes a FB player more than 4 years (these days) to get an undergrad degree it is likely they failed classes and are ineligible...or went to tOSU where they have classes that don't count towards a degree (sorry, had to put that dig in)

Now my example is anecdotal as it applies specifically to Michigan. However, I can’t imagine our system is all that different than most schools (even with a trimester full summer term)...I just used Michigan to illustrate my point.

Btw...you do know that both All and Cade got their degree from Michigan...I have no clue if you put either or both on schollie but what has become and is now the typical practice is not to...the collectives pay the tuition and they don't count towards the 85

Depends on the school...some schools do the "trimester" system others have a different set up...

For example: Michigan has 4 semesters. There are Fall and Winter semesters. That's the tradition school year (most go off and do an internship or random summer job during the "summer"). Then we have two half semesters (semester is shorter but hours per week doubled...for example, if you are taking a 3 credit hour class it is 6 hours per week): spring and summer. The typical is you take two classes in each.

That is a minimum of 6 credit hours in each semester (two 3 credit hour classes) but the average is probably 7 (one 3 hour, one 4 hour) with a decent number taking 8 credit hours (obviously two 4 credit hour classes).

The typical student is not taking all 4 semesters each year. But football players are. So they are probably averaging 15 credit hours in spring and summer. That is a full semester. Of course they are only taking 12 credit hours (the minimum to be considered a full time student) in the fall to compensate for FB season. So not all graduate in their 3rd year of eligibility but a significant number do especially if they enrolled early...

...as I said...if it takes a FB player more than 4 years (these days) to get an undergrad degree it is likely they failed classes and are ineligible...or went to tOSU where they have classes that don't count towards a degree (sorry, had to put that dig in)

Now my example is anecdotal as it applies specifically to Michigan. However, I can’t imagine our system is all that different than most schools (even with a trimester full summer term)...I just used Michigan to illustrate my point.

Btw...you do know that both All and Cade got their degree from Michigan...I have no clue if you put either or both on schollie but what has become and is now the typical practice is not to...the collectives pay the tuition and they don't count towards the 85
Trimesters don't include the summer session. Also, Michigan's "semesters" are no different than any school with a traditional semesters. Fall and Winter were semesters. Summer was a session because most students went home.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT