ADVERTISEMENT

Gov. Kim Reynolds deploys National Guard, law enforcement to U.S. southern border in Texas

More grandstanding at us taxpayers' expanse by our pathetic governor:

Iowa Gov. Kim Reynolds will deploy more than 100 Iowa National Guard and Iowa Department of Public Safety officers to Texas to support the state’s law enforcement efforts along the U.S.-Mexico border.
Reynolds said in a news release Thursday that sending personnel to Texas is an effort to help Texas “on the frontlines of this crisis.” She accused President Joe Biden of inaction on southern border security.
“President Biden and his Administration have failed to protect the sovereignty of our borders and the safety of the American people,” Reynolds said in a statement. “What Texas faces is nothing short of an invasion with historic levels of illegal immigrants and illicit drugs entering our country. Now, every state is a border state, and with that comes a duty to protect the people of Iowa.”
Biden supported a bipartisan immigration deal reached earlier this year in the U.S. Senate, but Senate Republicans abandoned the plan after House Republicans raised objections.
The Iowa deployment will be in support of “Operation Lone Star,” a joint operation between Texas’ Department of Public Safety and Texas Military Department launched in 2021 by Texas Gov. Greg Abbott to address illegal border crossings and trafficking.
This will not be the first time Iowa troops and law enforcement officers have been sent to assist the operation: Reynolds deployed 28 Iowa State Patrol troopers in 2021 and more than 100 Iowa National Guard soldiers in 2023.
The state National Guard will deploy on two missions to Texas in the coming months. From April 1 through May 3, 110 troops will be in Texas assisting “the Texas Military Department’s security objectives.” The second deployment of five troops will be in Texas from April 1 through Sept. 30, providing public affairs assistance and vehicle maintenance.
Eight Iowa DPS troopers and two sergeants will deploy from March 31 through April 27, assisting the Texas Department of Public Safety.
The support effort will be funded using federal American Rescue Plan funds. The 2023 deployment also used ARP funds, costing $1.93 million.
The latest deployments come following Reynolds’ trip to Eagle Pass, Texas in February, where she and 12 other GOP governors joined Abbott to support Texas’ efforts to address illegal immigration on a state, instead of federal, basis. Texas passed a law in 2023 making illegal immigration a state crime. That law is currently not being enforced, under a federal appeals court order Tuesday.
Iowa lawmakers have sent a similar bill to Reynolds. Senate File 2340, awaiting the governor’s signature, would create an aggravated misdemeanor charge for entering Iowa or being found in the state, for people who have been denied admission, deported or removed from the country. The legislation also would allow state courts to order the deportation of undocumented immigrants and allow law enforcement and state agencies to transport those charged to ports of entry to ensure they leave the country.

Indiana's governor is also sending 50 National Guard troops. Must be an election year.

The 4 GOP gubernatorial candidates plus some other GOP candidates running for state office in the upcoming primary are all running against Joe Biden. lol. I think our state's high school civics class curriculum needs to be restructured.

Oh you’re right…we’d just let 5,000 a day stroll across and never blink an eye. Sooo cool, right?
A minimum of 5000, and jo gets to decide when to call it a day, plus, these 5000+ don't count against the hundreds he's bringing in every nigh via the friendly sky!!

This pisses me off so much.

I live in another red state, but I have a friend in the National Guard who is sitting in Texas for a year doing absolutely nothing.

He missed his first child’s first birthday, he missed Christmas, he’s missing seeing his wife graduate from law school. For absolutely no reason except some stupid governors, trying to make a political point.

And that’s the dumb thing. The National Guard is not allowed to do any of the CBP responsibilities that would actually help. He’s literally sitting there doing nothing and trying to find some training so he actually gets some benefit out of the wasted year of his life.

Evil evil people using these poor human beings as political pawns to make some stupid point that is not going to move the needle at all. Not to mention, this is not the point/purpose of a state’s national guard troops by any stretch of the imagination.

This pisses me off so much.

I live in another red state, but I have a friend in the National Guard who is sitting in Texas for a year doing absolutely nothing.

He missed his first child’s first birthday, he missed Christmas, he’s missing seeing his wife graduate from law school. For absolutely no reason except some stupid governors, trying to make a political point.

And that’s the dumb thing. The National Guard is not allowed to do any of the CBP responsibilities that would actually help. He’s literally sitting there doing nothing and trying to find some training so he actually gets some benefit out of the wasted year of his life.

Evil evil people using these poor human beings as political pawns to make some stupid point that is not going to move the needle at all. Not to mention, this is not the point/purpose of a state’s national guard troops by any stretch of the imagination.
We are under attack, Hollis, from both sides of the southern border……

“Our liberties we prize, and our rights we will maintain.”

“Our,” being the LEGAL, tax paying, law abiding citizenry!

As asylum seekers. Should they be shot?
Goldmom is America’s brain on Fox News. CARAVANS!!!!
Weird that the right believes nobody sought asylum or crossed illegally during the Trump years.
And no criminals lie about being ASes, so they?

Have family in South Texas and had to attended a funeral awhile back. First thing I noticed was there was a police car on the side of road like seemingly a mile apart as approached picturesque Eagle Pass TX. I asked one of my relatives about it and he's oh that's where they send all the out of state help. If you look closely they're either playing on phones or just napping, can't really do anything besides call in border patrol if see anything. But hotels get to drive up their rates and local restaurants/bars are happy to provide a place for everyone to spend their per diems.

If she was serious about keeping illegal immigrants out of Iowa, she could use the Iowa National Guard on a wide variety of employers in Iowa that aren't complying with federal hiring laws. She could use them to do traffic stops just inside Iowa's borders on I80 and I35. Or she could send them to a state where they can do absolutely nothing. Her choice is not surprising at all. She's awful.

Would you mind citing the authority that would allow the national guard to enforce federal immigration law on employers? Or the authority to conduct random traffic stops after crossing into Iowa?

Would you mind citing the authority that would allow the national guard to enforce federal immigration law on employers? Or the authority to conduct random traffic stops after crossing into Iowa?
That’s why this is a joke for me in general - law enforcement isn’t in the national guards purview, let alone sending them to do so out of state.

Have family in South Texas and had to attended a funeral awhile back. First thing I noticed was there was a police car on the side of road like seemingly a mile apart as approached picturesque Eagle Pass TX. I asked one of my relatives about it and he's oh that's where they send all the out of state help. If you look closely they're either playing on phones or just napping, can't really do anything besides call in border patrol if see anything. But hotels get to drive up their rates and local restaurants/bars are happy to provide a place for everyone to spend their per diems.
^^^^ Least surprising thing I'll read today.

Just another Republican grift.

LOL are you really short or do you let everything go right over your head?

You asked a question. I answered, and then asked you to clarify your point. Filling in the gaps with a guess isn't my style, but if I were going to guess I would say that you're equating on some level popularity and success. Is that correct?

Reactions: Tom Paris
You asked a question. I answered, and then asked you to clarify your point. Filling in the gaps with a guess isn't my style, but if I were going to guess I would say that you're equating on some level popularity and success. Is that correct?
So success has nothing to do with an elected official’s popularity? Hmm

I read this morning that there’s an organized caravan of over 2000 more headed north to our so-called border (drop in the bucket)

What’s happening in Iowa that would be requiring their presence? Fight over seed corn or something?

Florida has some resources and people at the border now too. Maybe our Florida guys can show your Iowa guys pics of their families with the family pets. Alligators, snakes, iguanas. The usual.
If only the Administration would actively enforce the laws already on the books no state would be sending anyone or anything, would they?
The administration supported the bipartisan Senate bill that Trump and Mike “Howdy Doody” Johnson killed at Trump’s bequest. If you want to place blame, then lay it at their feet. They’re the ones supporting the status quo at the southern border.

So success has nothing to do with an elected official’s popularity? Hmm

Wouldn't it be more efficient to just pretend this conversation already happened and I said all the stuff you're assuming? It would be easier and then I don't have to even play a role.

It just seems like a lot of unnecessary effort to ask questions and then put words into my mouth.

She's using pandemic relief funding to do this bulls***? After refusing to use it on other far more worthwhile s***? F*** her and everyone who voted for her.
I'm guessing she's doing this to get those in her party she's irritated over the recent moves to feel like they are back on the same team again.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT