ADVERTISEMENT

Gov. Reynolds plans 3rd deployment of Iowa officers to aid Texas’ border patrol efforts

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
More wasting of taxpayer money for grandstanding governor:

After a weekend trip to Texas, Iowa Gov. Kim Reynolds said Monday she plans to — for a third time — send Iowa law enforcement officials to assist Texas authorities with security efforts at the U.S.-Mexico border.

During a news conference Monday at the Iowa Capitol, Reynolds repeated her criticism of how Democratic President Joe Biden’s has enforced federal immigration laws, and cast doubt that Congress would be able to pass border security legislation.

She traveled to Eagle Pass, Texas, on Sunday to join Texas Gov. Greg Abbott — along with 12 other Republican governors — at a news conference, where she did not speak.

Back Monday in Iowa, Reynolds said she is working with Texas authorities to once again send Iowa State Patrol officers and Iowa National Guard troops to aid Texas authorities with border security efforts.

“For three years, Texas has been on the front line of the most serious national security and humanitarian crisis of our time, and Gov. Abbott has led the response,” Reynolds told reporters Monday. “Having no option but to protect itself, Texas is enforcing the law by denying illegal entry and detaining those who attempt it. … If the federal government won’t do the job protecting Americans, the states will step in.”

Reynolds said other states’ assistance to Texas is needed because, she said, the federal government has not sufficiently addressed historical spikes in illegal migrant crossings at the U.S.-Mexico border. She attributed increases in fentanyl seizures, drug overdose deaths, and human trafficking to illegal immigration issues.

The details of the pending deployment are still being worked out with Texas authorities, Reynolds said.

It will be the third time Reynolds has deployed Iowans to assist Texas authorities with border security. In 2021, she dispatched 30 Iowa State Patrol officers. Last year, Reynolds sent 31 Iowa State Patrol officers and 109 Iowa National Guard troops for separate one-month deployments.

The pending mission will again be funded by federal pandemic relief funding, from the American Rescue Plan that Biden signed into law in 2021 and Reynolds opposed. Last year’s deployment cost $2 million, according to the governor’s office.

The governor’s office said Reynolds’ trip to Texas over the weekend was paid for by the Republican Governors Association.

Iowa National Guard has deployed to the U.S.-Mexico border on three other occasions since 2020 in response to a separate federal request, the governor’s office said.

According to the Associated Press reporting on federal figures, arrests for illegal border crossings from Mexico reached an all-time high in December since monthly numbers have been released. The Border Patrol tallied 249,785 arrests on the Mexican border in December, up 31 percent from 191,112 in November and up 13 percent from 222,018 in December 2022, the previous all-time high, the AP reported.

Reynolds, as she has on multiple occasions in the past, excoriated the Biden administration’s enforcement of border security policies, for which she blamed the influx of illegal border crossings.

Biden has said there are limitations on what the president can accomplish without Congressional action. Asked Monday to comment after the news conferences, the White House pointed to remarks Biden made Jan. 30 to reporters.

“I’ve done all I can do. Just give me the power. I’ve asked from the very day I got into office. Give me the Border Patrol. Give me the people — give me the people, the judges. Give me the people who can stop this and make it work right,” Biden said.

Border security legislation is being considered in the U.S. Senate, but Reynolds declined when asked Monday to call for its passage, instead reiterating that she believes the Biden administration should be stronger in its enforcement of immigration policy. She also expressed doubt that the Republican-led U.S. House and Democrat-led U.S. Senate would reach an agreement.

“Both (political) parties are guilty and not coming to the table, sitting down and having an adult conversation about what we do moving forward,” Reynolds said. “I don’t have a lot of confidence in — no disrespect to the people that serve out in Washington, DC., I’m grateful for them — but listen, in this environment, I don’t have a lot of confidence in really too much getting done.”

It is Truly sad that our inept Governor doesn’t understand the politics of the “southern border” and traitors like the Texas Governor ex-President Trump are using this “crisis on the border” as nothing more than an election ploy. There is no need for governors like Reynolds to send any national guard troops to any border at this time in an America.

Probably feels like she now needs to get back in Trump’s good side.
Her current standing in Iowa has taken a bit of a hit with so many unpopular proposals this legislative session.

If Rob Sand runs against her the next cycle, she may very well need some help getting reelected.

Not sure I'd count on a guy that is probably dead or in prison in 2026.

At least we look at them like they are human beings.
But they are Illegal immigrants! Meaning; Unlawful entry into a country! It is a federal law to come into our country without going through the proper channels! Crossing the RioGrande river is not 1 of those channels! I hope we stop this invasion today and get back to talking about what is more important like The dreadful economy!! Record high inflation and having a competent President!!!

get back to talking about what is more important like The dreadful economy!! Record high inflation and having a competent President!!!
You must have missed it, Trump's former economy adviser admitted that Biden has the economy in fantastic shape.

do nothing?

look at all the "free" press gov reynolds is getting out of all this!

that's not nothing (to her and her supporters)...that's the whole point!
No the charade convinces her base yes, the troops there will do nothing.

do nothing?

look at all the "free" press gov reynolds is getting out of all this!

that's not nothing (to her and her supporters)...that's the whole point!
I disagree, as those somewhat in the middle will likely be against this.

That 2 million she will spend on this stunt would have covered those admin expenses that would have funded the 22 million fed lunch program for low income kids that Kim had labeled as unsustainable.

She is a bad person and bad governor.
Kids get lunch and breakfast 12 months a year for free.

As she continues to offer state workers 0-1% raises every time contract talks arise, while at the same time showering administrators with sizable raises. This state is a debacle.

Reactions: cigaretteman
I’d love to get some candid comments from those being sent down to spend 2 weeks away from their families.
Why not send those resources to the protein plants during 3rd shift, or to the dairy barns in NE Iowa?

Reactions: cigaretteman
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT