ADVERTISEMENT

Gun deaths rising in Iowa as new law removes handgun permits

Obtaining a concealed carry permit was already relatively simple, was it not? I fail to see how this law benefits anyone other than the Republican politicians who now get to pander to their base about how pro-2A, anti-government they are (as if that is even necessary in Iowa in today’s political climate).
It's too simple.

I can remember as recently as the 2000s that the Sheriff of Polk County IF he decided to grant you to a CC permit would restrict it valid only to carry a revolver. Why? Because in his professional opinion it was all that was needed for self defense and he had no way to know if the applicant had sufficient training to safely carry a semi auto.

He was comfortable with LEOs having sufficient training (plus to get a professional permit you had to shoot) so LEOs were the only one permitted to carry a semi auto either open or concealed.

Reactions: Gimmered
It already happened in Portland and Seattle. Oakland’s next. Are you denying that they greatly slashed their budgets (defunded)?
I'm not denying that some police budgets have been reallocated to include more community policing programs, like POP, mental health services, etc. Where I disagree with you is that I don't see democrats running on defunding the police. It's more of a conservative talking point.

Remember that time you tried to make a joke about dead people that had committed suicide by gun by suggesting they would still be alive if they had a better gun? Maybe sit the rest of this one out.
Could you link that? I doubt I ever made that comment.

And reread what you posted. Makes zero sense. Or perhaps you started "happy hour" at noon today?

TBH, I don’t think any politician cares about us. The entire point is to divide us and stay in power and if they happen to pass legislation that does help us it was merely a byproduct of trying to buy votes. Take defunding the police. It will disproportionately impact poor and impoverished communities of color. Those ridden by crime. The politicians live in affluent suburbs, they won’t be affected. If they really cared they wouldn’t so something so foolish.
I think they all bitch about the other and come up with quick easy shot to spew to their base ans then all go behind the curtain laughing their asses off. They are in DC for themselves and looking out for the things that benefit them. That’s it.

Reactions: Brusselswrestler
Could you link that? I doubt I ever made that comment.

And reread what you posted. Makes zero sense. Or perhaps you started "happy hour" at noon today?

MitchLL

HR Legend​

"All those dead folk should have had better weaponry.

Cause, you know, cons think moar and bigger guns are the answer. Get that ammo at Bass Pro in Altoona."

Dont worry you can just make a completely off the wall joke about someone drinking and all will be forgiven. Deeeeeeeeerrrrrrrp.

MitchLL

HR Legend​

"All those dead folk should have had better weaponry.

Cause, you know, cons think moar and bigger guns are the answer. Get that ammo at Bass Pro in Altoona."

Dont worry you can just make a completely off the wall joke about someone drinking and all will be forgiven. Deeeeeeeeerrrrrrrp.
My comment was regarding homicides, not suicides. But you already knew that.

Reactions: FlickShagwell

IOWA CITY, Iowa (AP) — Gun deaths are surging in Iowa as a law is set to go into effect Thursday that will allow people to more easily buy handguns and carry them in public without training or a permit.

A record 353 people died from gunshot wounds in Iowa in 2020, including 263 suicides and 85 homicides, an Iowa Department of Public Health spokeswoman said Tuesday.

The shooting deaths represent a 20% increase from Iowa's previous high in 2019, including a 73% jump in homicides, and the most dramatic one-year hike in an upward decadeslong trend, according to Centers for Disease Control and Prevention data. From 1999 to 2001, Iowa averaged only 194 annual gun deaths, including just 25 homicides.

Iowa is among several Republican-led states that have passed laws this year allowing for the permitless carry of guns, including one that will take effect Thursday in Tennessee and another in Texas on Sept. 1. Iowa's new law also eliminates a requirement that people pass background checks to obtain permits to purchase handguns, breaking with more than 20 other states that have similar policies.

A leading gun violence researcher said Iowa's surge in gun homicides in 2020 was part of a national increase that experts are trying to understand. Daniel Webster, director of the Johns Hopkins Center for Gun Violence Prevention and Policy said he expects Iowa's sweeping handgun deregulation that begins Thursday to make things worse, pointing to studies that have associated such changes elsewhere with a 25% or higher increase in homicides.

Eliminating Iowa’s permit to acquire a handgun will facilitate impulsive purchases that can be associated with suicide and homicide and remove a deterrent against illegal gun trafficking, Webster said.

The number of legally bought guns used in crimes in Missouri spiked “pretty much overnight” after the state eliminated its permit to acquire in 2007, he said. Research also indicates that allowing people to carry loaded guns in public leads to more violent crime and increases in gun thefts from vehicles, he said.

“The direction Iowa is heading here based upon our research to me is very concerning,” Webster said. “It sounds like a train wreck.”

Under the law approved by the Republican-controlled Legislature, people purchasing pistols or revolvers no longer need to obtain permits to acquire or carry handguns, a process that could take days for the background check to complete.

They must still pass an instant federal background check to buy handguns at retailers, but face no such requirement if buying through private sellers. They will not need any permit to carry guns on themselves or in their cars in most places, including the Iowa Capitol, and they no longer need to take an online training course on gun safety and self-defense.

Gov. Kim Reynolds signed the bill in April following pressure from conservative activists. She previously said the permitting system was “reasonable and responsible” and should remain.

Supporters say the Iowa law will prevent law-abiding citizens from having to apply to the government and pay a $50 carry permit fee to exercise their gun rights, while allowing them to quickly obtain handguns for self-defense.

“The relationship between your state government and the citizen is going to be flipped 180 degrees,” said state GOP Sen. Jason Schultz, who noted that the push to loosen Iowa’s firearm rules has taken decades. “You can bear that firearm without permission from the state in the form of a concealed weapon permit or in violation of any open-carry laws.”

He said this would not harm public safety, calling it a “blessing on the citizenry and a problem for criminals because there’s more good guys armed out there.” But the new law is highly unpopular: two-thirds of those surveyed this month for the Des Moines Register’s Iowa Poll said they disapprove.

Schultz spoke during a recent panel on the law sponsored by the Iowa Firearms Coalition, whose lobbyist Richard Rogers called it “the most significant single change in our state’s weapons laws in living memory." He said it was more important than the 2011 law that limited the ability of county sheriffs to reject applications and caused the number of permits issued to skyrocket.

The law will have a dramatic impact on the court system. More than 600 people per year have been convicted of carrying firearms without a permit, an aggravated misdemeanor that will be wiped off the books, according to an analysis by the Legislative Services Agency.

Gun owners are expected to collectively save hundreds of thousands of dollars in permit fees annually, although some may still obtain permits so they can travel to other states with their firearms or purchase guns without a federal check.

The group Iowa Gun Owners, which pressured Reynolds to sign the bill, called it “a monumental advancement in Second Amendment freedom for law abiding Iowans who are sick of being tracked, traced, and registered like criminals, just to carry a gun.”

One of the dumbest and ill informed things ive read today. So many misconceptions and outright lies. OP is a good sheep.

Always have been a firm believer Iowa CC needed to be toughened back up with the Sheriff going back to a "May Issue" instead of a "Shall Issue".

Also always believed that CC permit holders need to shoot no different than those obtaining professional permits. The purpose of that wouldn't be so much putting lead on the target as it is the opportunity for the range officer to observe safety level in the field of the person applying for the CC permit and give a thumbs down when needed...and it is too often badly needed.

Not a fan at all of the new law......completely lost control over who is carrying and what.

This summer I'll still likely renew my CC. Don't typically carry personally in other states but often have a gun along and a CC permit may grant reciprocity if the need arises to carry. Also having a CC in hand could be a good thing when common sense eventually prevails and we go back to requiring a CC permit.

I'll view my $50/5yr as supporting something I believe in.
You call it "common sense", I call it infringement.

It's too simple.

I can remember as recently as the 2000s that the Sheriff of Polk County IF he decided to grant you to a CC permit would restrict it valid only to carry a revolver. Why? Because in his professional opinion it was all that was needed for self defense and he had no way to know if the applicant had sufficient training to safely carry a semi auto.

He was comfortable with LEOs having sufficient training (plus to get a professional permit you had to shoot) so LEOs were the only one permitted to carry a semi auto either open or concealed.
A revolver is less lethal than semi? (don't answer that, it's rhetorical, and always question credentials of anyone who tells you one platform is "more lethal" than another. Lethality comes from bullet design, weight and velocity.)

(Are you ironically parroting the most stereotypical fudd talking points, or are you serious)

Last edited:
So the thread title is actually misleading because it's implying a cause and effect, when the new law hasn't even gone into effect.
Want to wager that they don’t start trending down? We have introduced new legislation on a annual basis making ownership and possession easier. The trend line is upwards.

Jacksonville, Miami and Ft Worth are all con led cities with huge increases in crime.
St. Louis, Detroit, Kansas City, Baltimore, Chicago. It probably has little to do with political leanings. So it’s not red states that are crime riddled anymore than blue states.

St. Louis, Detroit, Kansas City, Baltimore, Chicago. It probably has little to do with political leanings. So it’s not red states that are crime riddled anymore than blue states.
Do you ever sit and think about where you are at in life? I have stuff going on, we all do, but 99.99 percent of us can at least keep a handle straight.

A revolver is less lethal than semi? (don't answer that, it's rhetorical, and always question credentials of anyone who tells you one platform is "more lethal" than another. Lethality comes from bullet design, weight and velocity.)

(Are you ironically parroting the most stereotypical fudd talking points, or are you serious)
Sorry Charlie....you've missed the mark by a mile.

It doesn't matter what I think of a revolver restriction....and it doesn't matter what you think of a revolver restruction. It only mattered to one person....and that was the Sheriff.

The Sheriff was entrusted with public safety and not only carefully vetted who he gave CC permits to....he vetted the weapon he felt best suited yet safest for the public.

FTR, to the people that mattered (his voters) he did a good job. He was Sheriff till he decided to stop.

We have introduced new legislation on a annual basis making ownership and possession easier. The trend line is upwards.
Be specific - what laws and which years are you referring to? Iowa passed a stand your ground law in 2017 and homocides actually fell in 2018. So are you referring to the NFA law? Doubt it, no increase with crimes committed w/ NFA items. Furthermore, Iowa ranks in the mid 40s for gun deaths per 100k. About 80% of firearm deaths in Iowa are suicide compared to about 60% nationwide.

Sorry Charlie....you've missed the mark by a mile.

It doesn't matter what I think of a revolver restriction....and it doesn't matter what you think of a revolver restruction. It only mattered to one person....and that was the Sheriff.

The Sheriff was entrusted with public safety and not only carefully vetted who he gave CC permits to....he vetted the weapon he felt best suited yet safest for the public.

FTR, to the people that mattered (his voters) he did a good job. He was Sheriff till he decided to stop.
Exactly why Shall Issue is a great policy.

I have more to do than follow someone around on every thread.
Keep shoveling away here on HROT. You will fill up all of those empty holes in your life some day. It’s so sad that this is all you have. If I wasn’t “following”, you around you’d literally have nothing going on tonight.

Keep shoveling away here on HROT. You will fill up all of those empty holes in your life some day. It’s so sad that this is all you have. If I wasn’t “following”, you around you’d literally have nothing going on tonight.
You’re welcome to keep hanging out in my shadow. By all means.

Yeah.....look exactly where Shall Issue has gotten us. Now even that was going to be more control than what awaits us as No Permit Required is ready to start.
Mid 40s rank in deaths per 100K, only a handful of states with fewer gun deaths.

Why do you keep saying "control"?

Also, are you under the impression violent criminals (i.e. crimes w/ guns) follow gun laws? Follow purchase requirements?

Last edited:
Jacksonville, Miami and Ft Worth are all con led cities with huge increases in crime.
So you're saying it's Urban areas leading the increase and not red or blue leadership causing the issues? Kind of flies in the face of the implications of the op don't you think?

I'm surprised you didnt put me on ignore after that kick in the dick I gave you over your lack of knowledge on CRT. Still going with "wasnt founded on tenets"? Good on ya bud, proud of you for not being a complete pussy.
Why would I put a raging idiot, who had to come up with some BS he Googled about CRT to pretend to know anything about it, on ignore? When someone like @jamesvanderwulf agrees, I know you’re a clown. 😆

It's too simple.

Being former military I’d be pissed if a Sheriff restricted my permit and would seriously think about taking it to court. Veterans didn’t even need the class for the permit.

Says the guy with almost 80k posts.

Why would I put a raging idiot, who had to come up with some BS he Googled about CRT to pretend to know anything about it, on ignore? When someone like @jamesvanderwulf agrees, I know you’re a clown. 😆
You wouldn't, that's why I said good on ya for not being a pussy. Same as when you didn't put me on ignore, someone who is actually familiar with the subject, for pointing out that you were talking out of your ass.

Being former military I’d be pissed if a Sheriff restricted my permit and would seriously think about taking it to court. Veterans didn’t even need the class for the permit.
During the "May Issue" years? Good luck. He wouldn't even have to give you a permit. He could tell you if you wanted a permit move to a different county and there is nothing you could do except try to get a different sheriff elected.

There was one sheriff (Greene County) who didn't believe in CC permits and issued zero except for LEOs to carry off duty. It was his right to do so. He was legally challenged and the courts sided with him so I doubt your challenging a revolver restriction would go far. Personally I think that was extreme and suspect there could be people in real situations where they were in danger and he failed them.....but it was his right to do so.

Can't confirm this one but heard of one Iowa sheriff who issued for one specific weapon. You brought your weapon in, he checked the serial number, and then restricted your permit to that weapon. If your weapon broke or you decided to change.....you came back in with your new weapon and paid to have his office reissue you a new one. Since the sheriff had some liability for the people he gave CC permits to he wanted to know they were carrying an appropriate weapon. I was told you need not show up with one of those zinc cheap Saturday night specials made under a bunch of different names and expect to be able to legally carry it.

The required class was a joke. You might have a few instructors who would try to build more content into it but what they were required to teach was a joke and it got even worse when it went online.

Last edited:
So, you think the permit holders are the ones causing the violence? I'm not so sure.

I don't think so either but look where the progression of CC by our population has taken us.

Under May Issue if you had a good valid reason to carry you were vetted by someone local and in most situations you got your permit. How much gun crime did we have at that time?

Fast forward to Shall Issue and the need for reason went out the window and so did the vetting except for violations which would exclude you from being issued a permit. Did gun crime go down? Why not? It was easier to put more "good guys with a gun" on the street.

Fast forward to No Permit Required. Gone is all proactive restriction on anyone carrying. Instead we have an honor system in place that you are responsible to NOT carry if you have any violations or conditions that would exclude you from carrying. Do you think gun crime will go down? I doubt it but time will tell.

I predict we are more likely to just be giving ammunition to the people and their political leaders who feel no one should be able to CC and look to abolish it.

Going back 150 yrs to the wild west could be the death of CC to the responsible gun owners/carriers.

I don't think so either but look where the progression of CC by our population has taken us.

Under May Issue if you had a good valid reason to carry you were vetted by someone local and in most situations you got your permit. How much gun crime did we have at that time?

Fast forward to Shall Issue and the need for reason went out the window and so did the vetting except for violations which would exclude you from being issued a permit. Did gun crime go down? Why not? It was easier to put more "good guys with a gun" on the street.

Fast forward to No Permit Required. Gone is all proactive restriction on anyone carrying. Instead we have an honor system in place that you are responsible to NOT carry if you have any violations or conditions that would exclude you from carrying. Do you think gun crime will go down? I doubt it but time will tell.

I predict we are more likely to just be giving ammunition to the people and their political leaders who feel no one should be able to CC and look to abolish it.

Going back 150 yrs to the wild west could be the death of CC to the responsible gun owners/carriers.
So again, are you under the belief criminals are going to now get CC permits or something? You understand the process for buying has not gotten any easier, correct? Still need to pass a background check. Your positions lack critical thought and logic.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT