ADVERTISEMENT

Hawkeye Recruiting Notes

Hall. IMO its Iowa, Minny or sleeper is Nebby. I dint think we hd a chance with Hall but from what I hear now is that Hall like theIowa vs the world thing and we coul be theleader. He is ok with playing the bad guy in a black singlet like other fan bases make us out to be. Sme kids couldnt handle the boo';s that come with he territory.

Halloway. Heard from a coach that he has the talent, the body physically to excel in D1 but really wonders if a kid like Holloway would thrive in the Iowa room or just hate it. Its just not for everyone. Mentally I think he coasts a bit more than Brands would stomach. But who knows? I could see why Holloway wouldnt want to come to Iowa if hes going o be ridden into doghouse by the intensity twins. Not putting Hollaway down or Brands bros, just he could AA at another school so why even deal with the hassle of the intensity 100% of the time twins. I had heard Mizzou was in on him good but that was awhile back, who knows what ship has sailed? Dont get me wrong, would like to have him on the team. Keegan Moore is my #1 197 but Id take Holloway in a sec if hes up for it. No doubt. Is a question I hope he is honest with himself abut. Dont need any more burnouts. Cant afford it at this particular weigh depth. Just cant miss on a 197 imo

Last edited:
Hall. IMO its Iowa, Minny or sleeper is Nebby. I dint think we hd a chance with Hall but from what I hear now is that Hall like theIowa vs the world thing and we coul be theleader. He is ok with playing the bad guy in a black singlet like other fan bases make us out to be. Sme kids couldnt handle the boo';s that come with he territory.

Halloway. Heard from a coach that he has the talent, the body physically to excel in D1 but really wonders if a kid like Holloway would thrive in the Iowa room or just hate it. Its just not for everyone. Mentally I think he coasts a bit more than Brands would stomach. But who knows? I could see why Holloway wouldnt want to come to Iowa if hes going o be ridden into doghouse by the intensity twins. Not putting Hollaway down or Brands bros, just he could AA at another school so why even deal with the hassle of the intensity 100% of the time twins. I had heard Mizzou was in on him good but that was awhile back, who knows what ship has sailed? Dont get me wrong, would like to have him on the team. Keegan Moore is my #1 197 but Id take Holloway in a sec if hes up for it. No doubt. Is a question I hope he is honest with himself abut. Dont need any more burnouts. Cant afford it at this particular weigh depth. Just cant miss on a 197 imo

I want to say I think you add some good stuff to this site but other times I wonder where the filter is, so my apologies if this offends you.

Why would you hypothesize that a kid mentally coasts? If he does coast (not that I would know what goes on in his head just like you) he won't make it in any D1 room. "Who knows" is the most accurate thing you said. Being a D1 athlete of any kind is a full time job, some can deal and some can't. Trying to guess one way or the other is not a fruitful exercise. You can't say ridden into the dog house by the intensity twins and question a kids mental toughness and then follow up by saying your not putting them down. You don't know how intense the Brands are and how often. People on here went ape shit over certain guys not performing, I never saw either Brands getting in their faces yelling after a match they did poorly in or throw them under the bus. Sure, they are not perfect and have stuff they can improve like everyone else but I can't recall anyone getting ridden into the doghouse. Anyone in the doghouse has earned it, typically with off the mat issues. Who are these guys who got ridden into the doghouse? Holloway just listed Iowa, UNI and Indiana as the schools he is looking at in a register article. If you would like to have these guys on the team try acting like it because saying a kid should head to the OTC vs be with our program or saying a kid is mentally weak and could AA somewhere else vs deal with the hassle of our coaches is uninformed and just plain silly. Our staff is not perfect, no ones is. They have improvements to make like all staffs do. I still believe they are the best people for the job given what alternatives would be available and one of the best in the country. That may not always be the case but I feel it is now and has been. News flash: Dan Gable was intense as hell! All the good coaches today get intense sometimes!

Keegen Moore is a stud, a stud we don't have any ties to that I have heard. Certainly not good enough of a shot to land that I would blow off Holloway and risk not having a real 197 in two years.

Gophers might have the cash among the big teams. I don't think PSU, tOSU, OSU do based on their rosters.
If you are talking scholly money, every team with a full 9.9 (and most of those without) will find the money if Hall wants to be there.
What is the point in even trying to balance scholly money when discussing potential recruits if you don't know how/why the money is allotted? Again, pet peeve of mine. I know people will continue to do it.

Holloway wrestled Keegan Moore @ The Clash this year, lost 4-3. Holloway would make it at Iowa IMHO.

He may not be thought of in the same light as the top 10 overall guys Wille listed but he is a very good wrestler and at a weight of need. He just went toe to toe with #2 at 195, #8 overall Steveson. Steveson beat #1 195, #5 overall Benick at Fargo last year. He has a lot of upside and is a stud as well. I could be wrong but I feel he has a great shot to make an impact.
I wouldn't describe that match as toe to toe. Close score thanks to early throw but Steveson dominated the rest of the match. After watching that match I would say if they wrestled again there is a bigger chance that Steveson bonuses than loses.

I wouldn't describe that match as toe to toe. Close score thanks to early throw but Steveson dominated the rest of the match. After watching that match I would say if they wrestled again there is a bigger chance that Steveson bonuses than loses.

Steveson is obviously a stud, the fact Holloway had the skills to make it a match as a guy not ranked in the top 100 overall vs #8 overall is what i was pointing out. Other Iowa commits in that dual were not even competitive vs lesser guys than Steveson. You're a knowledgeable guy so I think you would agree at this stage in the recruiting game that Holloway is a good athlete to pick up. He had the skills to throw Steveson and make it a match when most figured he would get beat handily.

Steveson is obviously a stud, the fact Holloway had the skills to make it a match as a guy not ranked in the top 100 overall vs #8 overall is what i was pointing out. Other Iowa commits in that dual were not even competitive vs lesser guys than Steveson. You're a knowledgeable guy so I think you would agree at this stage in the recruiting game that Holloway is a good athlete to pick up. He had the skills to throw Steveson and make it a match when most figured he would get beat handily.
He's will be an asset. I was just responding to the description of the match.

No offense ihawk but you are a dbag poster most of the time. I don't mean any offense by that though. Keep posting about that which you know nothing about.

Reactions: SPOONER
ihawk is using the same hack recruiting speak that I am sure many of the guys recruiting the same kids as Brands use. They said the same stuff about Gable. Funny how if the Brands are so hard on guys that they have so many guys stay loyal to them after wrestling for them.

If you are talking scholly money, every team with a full 9.9 (and most of those without) will find the money if Hall wants to be there.
What is the point in even trying to balance scholly money when discussing potential recruits if you don't know how/why the money is allotted? Again, pet peeve of mine. I know people will continue to do it.

PBS...When you get right down to it, people don't know much about anything in regards to what goes on in the rooms, scholly money, etc...This is just a guess based on the recruits that PSU, tOSU, OSU have in their room at the time versus others.

Tony you can't throw that reply out and not have anymore info? Come on brother!

Hall
Surinao
Happel
White
Etc

Ok guys here's a little tidbit for you,

Hall is down to basically 2 schools with 2 more on the outside with a shot.... Most think its likely that he ends up at either Iowa or Minnesota but DON'T count out Oky State or Nebraska either.

About 99% sure Yates will be a Hawk.

Suriano is a tough one to figure. At times it sounds like he's going to be a Hawk and at other times not such much.

Happel is FAR from a lock to be a Hawk. Its not over yet but Iowa is not #1 on his list as of now.

White is NOT going to be a Hawk. Probably staying in Illinois but heard some rumblings of Oky State also.

Lee is either going to Iowa or PSU period.....

Holloway would be a nice get if he does come to Iowa. Not Great but a solid option at 197 for the future could be similar to Burak down the road.

Couple of other names to keep your eye on
Juniors:
Rathbun(120)
Breske(170)
Colbray(195)

Soph:
Berge(152)

don't forget Max Lyon in 2 years. Could fill in nicely at 174/184 if he doesn't have a huge spurt

I was at the match and I certainly would describe that it as toe to toe. Holloway was right there until the very end (despite the fact that he was spent before the end of the first period). Holloway's huge move was a blast double - a far cry from a desperation throw. It was impressive, & that is what Holloway offers. I can't make an accurate guess as to what would happen in a rematch, but I know that I wouldn't doubt Holloway (if he is able to build a little more conditioning). As a Hawk fan, I would take him in a minute, if Tom can fit him in to the $ equation.

Reactions: MVPFAN
MVP- You like what hurl hawk wrote about Holloway. But you noticed the part about conditioning right? However you didnt like i when I used "mentally coasted" with him. Put 2 + 2 together.

Don Hawk. I can name the last two 4x All americans under Brands who would disagree with your statement for starters.

Hawkeye Sports 92. Another solid contribution out of you on these boards. Do you even know anything abut wrestling? I am asking honestly because I have never seen you post anything about wrestling. Its always from you flaming about another poster like said post above. Why even post? Nothing to do with the thread or a different take or whatever, just going at somone instead. Congrats Bro...Keep up the solid work! Please stick to the football boards.

Hall is down to basically 2 schools with 2 more on the outside with a shot.... Most think its likely that he ends up at either Iowa or Minnesota but DON'T count out Oky State or Nebraska either.

Suriano is a tough one to figure. At times it sounds like he's going to be a Hawk and at other times not such much.

Happel is FAR from a lock to be a Hawk. Its not over yet but Iowa is not #1 on his list as of now.

White is NOT going to be a Hawk. Probably staying in Illinois but heard some rumblings of Oky State also.

Holloway would be a nice get if he does come to Iowa. Not Great but a solid option at 197 for the future could be similar to Burak down the road.

Juniors:
Rathbun(120)
Breske(170)
Colbray(195)

Soph:
Berge(152)

Would be more than surprised if Berge went some place other than Iowa or Minnesota. I'd really like to have happel, but we already have a lot of guys in his projected weight range (I think he ends up at ISU). Keep an eye on a few of the St. Paris Graham kids and Luke Pletcher, whom are more likely to be hawks than White or Colbray.

MVP- You like what hurl hawk wrote about Holloway. But you noticed the part about conditioning right? However you didnt like i when I used "mentally coasted" with him. Put 2 + 2 together.

Don Hawk. I can name the last two 4x All americans under Brands who would disagree with your statement for starters.

Hawkeye Sports 92. Another solid contribution out of you on these boards. Do you even know anything abut wrestling? I am asking honestly because I have never seen you post anything about wrestling. Its always from you flaming about another poster like said post above. Why even post? Nothing to do with the thread or a different take or whatever, just going at somone instead. Congrats Bro...Keep up the solid work! Please stick to the football boards.

It is an all star meet after the season for crying out loud. I have seen a ton of stud wrestlers gas badly in those things. I'm sure he was a bit amped up wrestling the #8 overall guy as well and burned some energy on nerves. Your 2+2 does not equal 4 if 4 is mentally coasting.

Juniors:
Rathbun(120)
Breske(170)
Colbray(195)

Soph:
Berge(152)

Man shocked Spoons said that Happel is not a lock. Lisbon, Morningstar, Dad, etc.

Definitely thought that Happel to Iowa was a no Brainer.

Spoons is right,Happel is not a lock . Iowa St pressing hard.Yates is Iowa's to loose.

Man, Happel going to ISU would suck...hopefully the Iowa staff can point to their inability to help another highly touted Iowan not succeed as a prime point to stay away.

Man shocked Spoons said that Happel is not a lock. Lisbon, Morningstar, Dad, etc.

Definitely thought that Happel to Iowa was a no Brainer.
Maybe Happel is waiting to see what happens with Gross and Ryan before making a decision. Is Turk planning togo 141? Why the move from 138 to 145 this year?

Maybe Happel is waiting to see what happens with Gross and Ryan before making a decision. Is Turk planning togo 141? Why the move from 138 to 145 this year?
Happel to UNI? Schwab has done a nice job of building relationships with the top Iowa HS wrestlers.

Iowa State is pressing hard but they have nothing to sell but more money. Money isn't everything kid. Iowa State is a wrestling graveyard. Can you imagine an in home visit with Jackson:D

Iowa State is pressing hard but they have nothing to sell but more money. Money isn't everything kid. Iowa State is a wrestling graveyard. Can you imagine an in home visit with Jackson:D

Cue the ISU guys, "Which school has a more recent national champion?"

Is Turk planning togo 141? Why the move from 138 to 145 this year?
No need to cut the weight if you don't have to and I think he did it for the team. Montini had both Turk and nationally ranked Dylan Duncan down to their most competitive weights (138/126) for the Ironman and early season. They had a couple decent but undersized kids wrestling 132/145 during that time. Once they were into their mostly instate schedule the 2 better guys swapped with the other 2. There was little doubt Turk and Duncan would dominate IL 2A at either weight and it gave the other 2 kids a better chance to succeed.

No need to cut the weight if you don't have to and I think he did it for the team. Montini had both Turk and nationally ranked Dylan Duncan down to their most competitive weights (138/126) for the Ironman and early season. They had a couple decent but undersized kids wrestling 132/145 during that time. Once they were into their mostly instate schedule the 2 better guys swapped with the other 2. There was little doubt Turk and Duncan would dominate IL 2A at either weight and it gave the other 2 kids a better chance to succeed.
Thanks for the info. Should be real solid at 141. Iowa got a good one here.

I think you are right ed. I have only seen turk go once but he seemed like a goer.

Would not surprise me at all if Turk ends up having the best career of this incoming class. He is explosive and has great offense the I think will translate to d1 and seems to be a goer.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT