ADVERTISEMENT

Hawkeye Women’s BBall Season 2023-2024

Man this year was special, wasn’t it?

May sound silly but my heart hurt when they lost yesterday because I love what these girls have done for the sport.

92 games with the same starting 5. Unheard of.

Next year? I’m ready.

Anything can happen.

Caitlyn gets better
Marshall gets better
Martin gets better

Who knows?

Stuelke will start. I wondered about O'Grady compared to Czinano. I compared bench time, O'Grady's two years compared to Czinano's freshman year. If O'Grady develops like Czinano after Gustafson left, we'll be just fine.

I started to go back to see early comments about Czinano to start her sophomore year, but I kept getting distracted by other threads. Here's a fun comment from November 2019:
QUOTE: Czinano has played really well these first couple games, but she's enjoyed a size advantage. Freshman Marshall has looked more than ready. Kate Martin looks pretty good so far, and Taiwo is a nice player off the bench. Mackenzie is playing solid. Ollinger by far the best rebounder.

vJDJJIT.png

They will be lucky to make the Final Four. That's not a knock on them. It is difficult to make the FF given how top heavy women's bb is, still. They will have to (again) defeat teams that are much more talented. The Hawks were able to do it this season because of team chemistry and the way the stars aligned. Not sure lightning can strike twice.

But....you never know! I would love a rematch with LSU in the title game. Caitlin has a score to settle.

They will be lucky to make the Final Four. That's not a knock on them. It is difficult to make the FF given how top heavy women's bb is, still. They will have to (again) defeat teams that are much more talented. The Hawks were able to do it this season because of team chemistry and the way the stars aligned. Not sure lightning can strike twice.

But....you never know! I would love a rematch with LSU in the title game. Caitlin has a score to settle.

I'm hoping if they're a 1 seed, they can avoid LSU, UConn and maybe South Carolina. It's why yesterday was a bummer, although the future is bright, there's still no guarantee we'll be back

Man this year was special, wasn’t it?

May sound silly but my heart hurt when they lost yesterday because I love what these girls have done for the sport.

92 games with the same starting 5. Unheard of.

Next year? I’m ready.

Anything can happen.

Caitlyn gets better
Marshall gets better
Martin gets better

Who knows?
The girls on the bench need to get better.......

Loooots of scholarships eating up space when you look at what Iowa needs to be able to avoid what happened yesterday while also combating other teams who will try to build through the portal or return to form like UConn.

It's not a lack of faith in Bluder.........its a lack of faith in the players we "supposedly need" convincing themselves to come to Iowa to help Iowa, and not UConn or South Carolina or Baylor or Texas or Stanford or Notre Dame or LSU or any other current top program, win a national championship..............

I started to go back to see early comments about Czinano to start her sophomore year, but I kept getting distracted by other threads. Here's a fun comment from November 2019:
QUOTE: Czinano has played really well these first couple games, but she's enjoyed a size advantage. Freshman Marshall has looked more than ready. Kate Martin looks pretty good so far, and Taiwo is a nice player off the bench. Mackenzie is playing solid. Ollinger by far the best rebounder.
No comment about Doyle's playing? She must have been slacking off during those early games;)

They will be lucky to make the Final Four. That's not a knock on them. It is difficult to make the FF given how top heavy women's bb is, still. They will have to (again) defeat teams that are much more talented [replace with athletic]. The Hawks were able to do it this season because of team chemistry and the way the stars aligned. Not sure lightning can strike twice.
Generally agree with the above sentiments, but would substitute the word athletic for talented (Iowa's skill level is a talent). The aberration that was Iowa WBB this season was an amazing thing to watch and enjoy. I'm far more hung up on statistical comparisons than most, but the stats really do show what a defensive aberration Iowa was this season as the national runner-up, and suggest it will be difficult to get back to the Final Four or an Elite Eight.

National Champions are elite defensive teams: In the 13 years of modern WBB stats (since 2010), the national champion has been top 5 in adjusted defensive efficiency 12 times (# 1 seven times), and top 10 a thirteenth time. LSU was 5th in adjusted defensive efficiency this year. (National champions are also elite offensive teams, with all 13 teams since 2010 being top 6 in adjusted offensive efficiency. So symmetrical greatness is required to win a national championship).

National Runner-Ups are almost always elite defensive teams: Since 2010, the national runner-up has been top 5 in adjusted defensive efficiency 10 times, # 6 one time, # 15 one time, and # 48 this season (Iowa). (National runner-ups are also usually elite offensive teams, with 9 teams being top 7 since 2010, 2 more being top 12, with 2 outliers, #20 and # 46. Iowa [# 1 Off.; #48 Def.] and Arizona [# 46 Off.; # 5 Def., are the only starkly asymmetrical teams to make the championship game since 2010).

National Semi-Final losers are usually (nearly 90% of the time) elite defensive teams: Since 2010, the national semi-final losers have been top 5 in adjusted defensive efficiency 15 times, top 14 8 more times, with three outliers (#22, # 32, and #38).

Elite Eight losers are overwhelmingly top 25 defensive teams: Since 2010, the 52 teams to lose in the Elite Eight have been top 10 in adjusted defensive efficiency 31 times, top 25 another 14 teams, with seven sort-of outliers/outliers (# 29, # 35, # 41, # 42, # 54 [2, inc. Iowa 2019], and # 74 [Creighton 2022]).

Barring exits to the portal and surprising replacement with significant defensive upgrades, it's hard to see Iowa getting much better on defense in 2023-24. Since 2010, Iowa has been ranked in the top 60 in adjusted defensive efficiency just 4 out of 14 times (# 48 - 2023, # 54 - 2019, # 52 - 2018, and # 59 - 2017). Iowa has also been north of # 95 six times, so getting to # 48 this season is a huge accomplishment. When pared with the # 1 team in the country in adjusted offensive efficiency, Iowa's defensive and defensive rebounding improvements this season helped produce a historic Final Four run. The odds of doing that again seem long, even with the great CC leading the way.

Last season, Taiwo moved on and Davis joined us. Forgotten when Feuerbach (sp) went down, but I think many felt we'd take a hit with our D and also spelling Caitlin. Hannah S. and Abbie O'G. will be starters perhaps; interesting to see Kylie F. role. After that, one can hope the bench will be stronger and a year more experienced. No clue what G Johnson-Etienne will bring to the table, i.e., not sure we'll be hitting the portal.

25.7 pts, REB 12.2, AST 2.0, FG% 42.5. I think two years left. But,but she’s only a 6’1” Forward. 😉she would look great in an Iowa uniform! Final 4 would definitely be in reach with her.

Barring exits to the portal and surprising replacement with significant defensive upgrades, it's hard to see Iowa getting much better on defense in 2023-24.
What do you think we might be ranked in D. Eff. if O'Grady starts at the 5 (balls out with blocked shots) and Hannah continues to up our rebounding?

As mentioned, it was highly unusual for a team with Iowa's rebounding deficiencies to make the FF.

And the bench was really weak, outside of HS and, at times, AOG.

Davis certainly wasn't what we thought we were getting.

That said...I certainly expect a few players step up next season.

As mentioned, it was highly unusual for a team with Iowa's rebounding deficiencies to make the FF.

And the bench was really weak, outside of HS and, at times, AOG.

Davis certainly wasn't what we thought we were getting.

That said...I certainly expect a few players step up next season.
Yeah, Davis was hyped pretty significantly. Unfortunately, she looked like a rag doll for many games, poor girl. She did have her moments though. She plays hard.

Reactions: mphawk
Yeah, Davis was hyped pretty significantly. Unfortunately, she looked like a rag doll for many games, poor girl. She did have her moments though. She plays hard.
She is a decent ball-handler, which I think has been her biggest contribution to our game. Feuerbach had a similar contribution last year. KF was first off the bench, and though she clearly had a good shot, she was either hesitant or instructed to defer to others for her first year.

Based on Bluder's remarks, it doesn't seem that was the case for Davis tho. Bluder mentioned to the press more than once that she wanted Davis to shoot more. If she believes she can shoot more, I'm sure she's right.

Again, we can't forget we have no other PG, so without Davis we would completely collapse if Clark fouled out / was injured. I'm excited for KJE but a freshman of her caliber is not going to be as good as Davis, a 5th year senior next year with a year of B1G play under her belt.

I always found it funny that people thought Davis was going to come in and average anywhere close to the 18 she averaged at CMU. It was hard for me to picture for all the obvious reasoms. But I was still hoping she might average maybe 5 or 6, or have a few big games (not cupcake games) where she'd go for a slew of 3s.

Next year though, without Czinano's can't-miss layups, I hope for (cautiously, expect?) the offense to be much more distributed, so maybe that'll come to fruition. I hope to see Marshall, Martin, Stuelke and O'Grady all averaging 8-12 pts (surely someone will become the most reliable/dominant, TBD), with Davis, Affolter, Feuerbach potentially offering something like 4-6.

Last edited:
Random fun bit of the day:

Incoming G Kennise Johnson-Etienne posted on her story that “her cousin” (Brandon Johnson) was elected mayor of Chicago.

Not sure whether it’s fact or in jest…but Johnson is a rather common name for that kind of joke lol.

Reactions: TKingpin and Torg
What do you think we might be ranked in D. Eff. if O'Grady starts at the 5 (balls out with blocked shots) and Hannah continues to up our rebounding?
Hard to know, obviously. But my hope for next year would be top 60, and not backslide to something near 100. I can also dream for a big defensive/floor game contribution by Feuerbach. That would really help.

Hard to know, obviously. But my hope for next year would be top 60, and not backslide to something near 100. I can also dream for a big defensive/floor game contribution by Feuerbach. That would really help.
I think almost everyone has forgotten / undervalued (or only jumped on the bandwagon this year) Feuerbach’s skills when thinking about the future of the team. I think we’ve only seen the beginning of her and Affolter’s potential.

I think she will be the kind of player we’re begging to take her COVID year (and I expect Bluder will ask her to in any case).

I think almost everyone has forgotten / undervalued (or only jumped on the bandwagon this year) Feuerbach’s skills when thinking about the future of the team. I think we’ve only seen the beginning of her and Affolter’s potential.

I think she will be the kind of player we’re begging to take her COVID year (and I expect Bluder will ask her to in any case).
I’m optimistic about Feuerbach, and hopeful about Affolter, but still puzzled about Affolter’s upside. She has an athletic, tough style, but perhaps not the athleticism to make it work night in and night out. Her shot also leaves more than a bit to be desired.

I think a MAJOR factor in the success of this team the last few years (other than the absolute 'duh!' of CC) is the family feel they talked about and you could clearly see. Bringing in a stud through the portal is one thing, but having her mesh/gel/fit in with this group is a detail that I'm sure the staff will look at.
Otherwise, AO'G with daily workouts with Jan, HS at the 4, and the rest working hard and they should be fun again. Jan has shown that she can improve posts like nobody else, and I sure think Addy can be next in line, which would be massive for their success next year.

Season ticket sales are on fire. What if the women were to outdraw the men next season?

https://www.hawkcentral.com/story/s...23-24-cost-how-buy-caitlin-clark/70086142007/
"Add existing season tickets with new requests, and the number totals 13,200. Carver-Hawkeye’s women’s basketball capacity was 15,056 last season. The 13,200 wouldn’t count student tickets or allotments set aside for visiting teams. Plus, the university needs to set aside seats for special events (one example would be women’s basketball alumni day) that wouldn’t be possible if Iowa sold, say, 14,500 season tickets (which it seems like it easily could, given current and expected demand)."

I'm kicking myself. I'm seeing family this weekend and was going to see if anyone else wanting to get in on season tickets. Ugh

Sounds like O'Grady is coming back (sorry to everyone who thinks Bluder will push her out):

AO: "We’re gonna fight with everything we have to get back here.”
Right now O'Grady is ahead of Goodman at the 5 so I understand why she'd stay even as a backup behind a incoming transfer. I don't like making presumptions about transfers out, but you would think there's a chance Goodman would willingly transfer for more minutes. I feel bad for her because that knee injury has to be pretty brutal.

There's really no other true 5s. Other forwards/bigs are obviously Stuelke mainly at the 4 and limited mins at the 5, same with Ediger. I still think Ediger has potential to be really solid. Wetering and Gyamfi may fight for backup 4 minutes.

In regards some of the Molly Davis comments, I thought she was an ideal transfer because Iowa really had no good ballhandlers outside of Clark. Davis hasn't really meshed with the offense and when she is on the floor it's usually with Clark because Caitlin never freaking rests. If Feuerbach is back she at least is another quality ballhandler with a little more size. I hope McCabe can contribute because her 3pt lethality is a weapon. Okay end random tangents for now.

I’m optimistic about Feuerbach, and hopeful about Affolter, but still puzzled about Affolter’s upside. She has an athletic, tough style, but perhaps not the athleticism to make it work night in and night out. Her shot also leaves more than a bit to be desired.
I think much of that is confidence and deferring to upper classmates. In warmups her shooting was pretty good better than Molly and not much different than Kate.

She is a decent ball-handler, which I think has been her biggest contribution to our game. Feuerbach had a similar contribution last year. KF was first off the bench, and though she clearly had a good shot, she was either hesitant or instructed to defer to others for her first year.

Based on Bluder's remarks, it doesn't seem that was the case for Davis tho. Bluder mentioned to the press more than once that she wanted Davis to shoot more. If she believes she can shoot more, I'm sure she's right.

Again, we can't forget we have no other PG, so without Davis we would completely collapse if Clark fouled out / was injured. I'm excited for KJE but a freshman of her caliber is not going to be as good as Davis, a 5th year senior next year with a year of B1G play under her belt.

I always found it funny that people thought Davis was going to come in and average anywhere close to the 18 she averaged at CMU. It was hard for me to picture for all the obvious reasoms. But I was still hoping she might average maybe 5 or 6, or have a few big games (not cupcake games) where she'd go for a slew of 3s.

Next year though, without Czinano's can't-miss layups, I hope for (cautiously, expect?) the offense to be much more distributed, so maybe that'll come to fruition. I hope to see Marshall, Martin, Stuelke and O'Grady all averaging 8-12 pts (surely someone will become the most reliable/dominant, TBD), with Davis, Affolter, Feuerbach potentially offering something like 4-6.
Oh, I like Molly. I defend her against my buddy who's always making fun of her and whenever she has one of her nice passes, which she does pass well, or has an unexpected but awkward drive and then makes it, I'm that guy saying, "see, see, that's what I'm talking about with her."

Stuelke and O'Grady are what we need to make the significant step for us to get back to the Final 4. I know Stuelke will be a star here but I anticipate her really taking over in her junior year. We need her now though unless O'Grady makes that huge jump. However, I've a feeling that it will be O'Grady who makes the biggest jump this year and it will be a trial by fire of sorts but she did her thing when we needed her to in the B1G tourney and beyond.

I just don't know how we'll duplicate this year without Czinano next season even if O'Grady is good for 10-14 pts. That's the only reason I want someone to help us in the portal if it even is possible. We'll be fine in the regular season but we need that certified second option if Stuelke and O'Grady can't get us another 18-24. If it's by association, like you're saying, that works too but that'll require every player improving cohesively. I guess I'm getting greedy since we got so freaking close and I want the girls to become a power program. They're soooo close right now!

Reactions: ft254
Just remember that after spending most of her time on the bench behind Gustafson, Czinano came in and immediately had a positive impact. No promises on O'Grady, but I also am hoping for a big jump after a lot of off-season hard work.
vJDJJIT.png

I think O'Grady will take a big jump, but still be more of a 20 minutes a game player. Jan will have her ready to contribute.

Feuerbach's ACL tear was in August, so it would be optimistic for her to be a good player next year. It could happen, but tough to bank on.

Gyamfi is a mystery to me. She is very fluid, has a good shooting form and size. She has the tools to be much more than what we saw this year. Hopefully she emerges. Wetering is another I can see helping

Reactions: skydog0784
Just remember that after spending most of her time on the bench behind Gustafson, Czinano came in and immediately had a positive impact. No promises on O'Grady, but I also am hoping for a big jump after a lot of off-season hard work.
vJDJJIT.png
O"Grady just does not seem to be very aggressive and a little slow on her feet, IMO. I really hope she makes a quantum leap during the off-season.

FWIW if someone doesn't enter the portal in the next week or so, I think it's unlikely we'll have a transfer out this off-season.
Correct, and I doubt they do. FWIW, I've seen people on the forum say the staff should tell certain people to leave, when the correct answer all along was to not bring back the Super Seniors/5th Year players. At the very least, it should have been addressed at the end of the year and not decided mid-season like it was. None of the 3 are leaps and bounds ahead of what was behind them, and then they would have had 2-3 scholarships to address specific needs with transfers. Instead, here we are.

Correct, and I doubt they do. FWIW, I've seen people on the forum say the staff should tell certain people to leave, when the correct answer all along was to not bring back the Super Seniors/5th Year players. At the very least, it should have been addressed at the end of the year and not decided mid-season like it was. None of the 3 are leaps and bounds ahead of what was behind them, and then they would have had 2-3 scholarships to address specific needs with transfers. Instead, here we are.
I think there was a real effort to not have to completely rebuild the offense from scratch. It’d be painful. Not fun for all the fans lining up to buy tickets now, not fun for Clark either.

Even if it all eventually came together to end the season strong, we’d likely start off pretty weak and could potentially dig ourselves into a deep hole. By staggering the departures of the Fab 5 starters (2 this year, 2 next year, Clark likely the year after), we set ourselves up for success in ‘24 and ‘25 and also return all starters but Clark in ‘26.

We are ranked Top 5 in the two pre-season rankings I’ve seen (ESPN and the athletic). We likely start as a 1 seed in the first bracketology. No way we would even be Top 16, maybe not stop 25, if all 4 seniors moved on right now.

Last edited:
Reactions: skydog0784

Was #1 player in recruiting class last cycle. Perhaps just as important, was Addison O'Grady's high school teammate.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT