ADVERTISEMENT

"He's a man you really want to be when you grow up." We have more than just a head coach

I'll need to see something on that. I've heard it report numerous times that KF was the first BIG coach to win it more then three times. If your right, so be it, but thats not what I've seen.....

Your instincts are correct. Ignore any claims that Bo won it any more that 4 times.

4 Kirk
4 Bo
2 Hayden

The source follows. Click on the "coach" column heading to sort by the coach's name.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/awards/big-ten-coy.html

Last edited:
Did a quick search, and by quick I mean I glanced over the 1st result in like 10sec, not sure if BTCOY was awarded prior to '72 but that's how far back the list goes. It has Schembecler listed as 4 wins.

You are correct. Bo is recognized as the winner four times.

As you stated, the source follows. Click on the "coach" column heading to sort by the coach's name.

I counted 21 coaches in the hall of fame with under a 60 percent winning percentage

Nope, Legend12 is right. It takes a .600 winning percentage for a CFB coach to be enshrined! Just like it takes 300 wins for a pitcher to get into the baseball HOF. Or a .300 batting average for a hitter. These are concrete requirements. He exchanged e-mails about it with the high command for crissakes! lmao

Reactions: Franisdaman
Nope, Legend12 is right. It takes a .600 winning percentage for a CFB coach to be enshrined! Just like it takes 300 wins for a pitcher to get into the baseball HOF. Or a .300 batting average for a hitter. These are concrete requirements. He exchanged e-mails about it with the high command for crissakes! lmao

Feel free to continue to be ignorant and uninformed on the topic....probably a way of life for you.

College Football Hall of Fame Criteria:
  • FIRST AND FOREMOST, A PLAYER MUST HAVE RECEIVED FIRST-TEAM ALL-AMERICA RECOGNITION BY A SELECTOR RECOGNIZED BY THE NCAA AND UTILIZED TO COMPRISE THEIR CONSENSUS ALL-AMERICA TEAMS.
  • A player becomes eligible for consideration by the NFF's Honors Court 10 full seasons after his last year of intercollegiate football played.
  • While each nominee's football achievements in college are of prime consideration, his post-football record as a citizen is also weighed. He must have proven himself worthy as a citizen, carrying the ideals of football forward into his relations with his community and fellow man. Consideration may also be given for academic honors and whether or not the candidate earned a college degree.
  • Players must have played their last year of intercollegiate football within the last 50 years*. For example, to be eligible for the 2020 ballot, the player must have played his last year in 1970 or thereafter. In addition, players who are playing professionally and coaches who are coaching on the professional level are not eligible until after they retire.
  • A coach becomes eligible three full seasons after retirement or immediately following retirement provided he is at least 70 years old. Active coaches become eligible at 75 years of age. He must have been a head coach for a minimum of 10 years and coached at least 100 games with a .600 winning percentage.

I believe that somewhere in the last paragraph it is addressed, it is fairly vague though(for some)

College Football Hall of Fame Criteria:
  • FIRST AND FOREMOST, A PLAYER MUST HAVE RECEIVED FIRST-TEAM ALL-AMERICA RECOGNITION BY A SELECTOR RECOGNIZED BY THE NCAA AND UTILIZED TO COMPRISE THEIR CONSENSUS ALL-AMERICA TEAMS.
  • A player becomes eligible for consideration by the NFF's Honors Court 10 full seasons after his last year of intercollegiate football played.
  • While each nominee's football achievements in college are of prime consideration, his post-football record as a citizen is also weighed. He must have proven himself worthy as a citizen, carrying the ideals of football forward into his relations with his community and fellow man. Consideration may also be given for academic honors and whether or not the candidate earned a college degree.
  • Players must have played their last year of intercollegiate football within the last 50 years*. For example, to be eligible for the 2020 ballot, the player must have played his last year in 1970 or thereafter. In addition, players who are playing professionally and coaches who are coaching on the professional level are not eligible until after they retire.
  • A coach becomes eligible three full seasons after retirement or immediately following retirement provided he is at least 70 years old. Active coaches become eligible at 75 years of age. He must have been a head coach for a minimum of 10 years and coached at least 100 games with a .600 winning percentage.

I believe that somewhere in the last paragraph it is addressed, it is fairly vague though(for some)

Facts are not welcome by some.

KF has had over a .640 winning percentage since 2001. I would put a large sum of money that he finishes his career with a .600 winning percentage.

Just an FYI

"Good morning and thanks for your inquiry.

The coaching criteria has always included a 60% winning percentage; however, special exemptions were given to some coaches (beneath 60%) who were considered significant contributors to the game.

In 2012, the NFF Awards Committee voted to make the 60% rule standard going forward, allowing no exemptions and eliminating any gray areas.

If you need anything else, please let me know.

Thanks,

Hillary

Hillary Jeffries

Director of Special Projects"

Should clear up the coaching criteria question.

KF has had over a .640 winning percentage since 2001. I would put a large sum of money that he finishes his career with a .600 winning percentage.

How much money? I am interested in this wager. At the .640 rate you used it would take him approximately 18 years to get to .600 for his career. At a .700 rate(9.1 wins a year, 13 games) going forward it would take 16 years, at .800(10.4 wins a year) 14 years. Let me know the wager and we can move forward with this.

Just an FYI

The coaching criteria has always included a 60% winning percentage; however, special exemptions were given to some coaches (beneath 60%) who were considered significant contributors to the game.

In 2012, the NFF Awards Committee voted to make the 60% rule standard going forward, allowing no exemptions and eliminating any gray areas.

Thanks,

Hillary

Hillary Jeffries

Some math:
144-97 record at Iowa (59.8%)
12-21 record at Maine
156-118 Overall record (56.9%)

IF he went 10-3 this year (9 more wins), it would put him at:

165-121 (57.7%)

IF he went 30-9 over next 3 yrs (2019-2021), it would put him at:

195-130 (60%)

Not sure we can count on 10-3 seasons this year thru 2021, however.

Some math:
144-97 record at Iowa (59.8%)
12-21 record at Maine
156-118 Overall record (56.9%)

IF he went 10-3 this year (9 more wins), it would put him at:

165-121 (57.7%)

IF he went 30-9 over next 3 yrs (2019-2021), it would put him at:

195-130 (60%)

Not sure we can count on 10-3 seasons this year thru 2021, however.

5 more years of being 17% above his winning % at Iowa? I would sign up for that run of success.

5 more years of being 17% above his winning % at Iowa? I would sign up for that run of success.

KF's best 4 year stretch was 2002-2005:
38-12 (76%) was his record;

40-12 (77%) is the minimum record he needs from 2018 through 2021 in order to get to the 60% overall win percentage requirement.

Double check my math. Lol

Just an FYI

Thanks,

Hillary

Hillary Jeffries

Thank you for this

KF's best 4 year stretch was 2002-2005:
38-12 (76%) was his record;

40-12 (77%) is the minimum record he needs from 2018 through 2021 in order to get to the 60% overall win percentage requirement.

Double check my math. Lol

So 4 years at a % higher than his best stretch ever, not impossible. They build some pretty nice buildings in Vegas taking money on bets like this. Would be great if it happens.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT