ADVERTISEMENT

Hot, hot take - cesspool’s thoughts?

witherman

All-Conference
Jul 6, 2017
I’m going to say something super duper outlandish and apologies if the topic has already been addressed by my quick Look didn’t see a thread dedicated to the subject.

So with that said - have you ever seen as many people talking about Iowa wrestling ever in the history of your fandom? Because I can say in my several decades that this has reached farther than just about any single event to people that normally don’t talk wrestling with me. The infamous splits picture is going viral becoming a meme. The only other real thing I can think of was Spencer, but that was more a culmination of a career as opposed to a single isolated event.

Is there anyone inside of the historically conservative wrestling world that thinks all publicity is good publicity? Is Iowa being the bad boys of the NCAA good in any way? Cesspool thoughts?

I’m going to say something super duper outlandish and apologies if the topic has already been addressed by my quick Look didn’t see a thread dedicated to the subject.

So with that said - have you ever seen as many people talking about Iowa wrestling ever in the history of your fandom? Because I can say in my several decades that this has reached farther than just about any single event to people that normally don’t talk wrestling with me. The infamous splits picture is going viral becoming a meme. The only other real thing I can think of was Spencer, but that was more a culmination of a career as opposed to a single isolated event.

Is there anyone inside of the historically conservative wrestling world that thinks all publicity is good publicity? Is Iowa being the bad boys of the NCAA good in any way? Cesspool thoughts?
Being the bad boys of NCAA wrestling and winning would be much better vs simply being the bad boys.

I for one hope Iowa embraces being a version of the 80s Miami Hurricanes football team. Disliking the Hawks is starting to become boring to me and its not even f** to Troll you guys anymore. If things don't change, I may be reduced to taking your mods advice and find something better to do with my life...

I for one hope Iowa embraces being a version of the 80s Miami Hurricanes football team. Disliking the Hawks is starting to become boring to me and its not even f** to Troll you guys anymore. If things don't change, I may be reduced to taking your mods advice and find something better to do with my life...
So we talk about people who might have some mental or emotional challenges and here we have you know who. :cool:

Nah, don’t do that.

• Haha
Reactions: Gusaford and GiApet
Gilman was a defendable bad boy, is AJ? Time will tell. I don’t think his post match antics gave any recruit a reason to want to come to Iowa to wear the black fedora. He has drawn attention. If you follow the lines of thinking that “there’s no such thing as bad press” I think you’re be wrong in this case.

Gilman was a defendable bad boy, is AJ? Time will tell. I don’t think his post match antics gave any recruit a reason to want to come to Iowa to wear the black fedora. He has drawn attention. If you follow the lines of thinking that “there’s no such thing as bad press” I think you’re be wrong in this case.
Naw.. You’re missing something here, Sans. AJ is evolving the idea of college wrestling villain, in reel time. Singlehandedly. This is next-level villainy shite. Up until now, the villains have only pranked the opponents and their fans. But AJ has turned that standard upside down and it’s time to embrace the darkness, imo.

Have you EVER seen an athlete get DQ-ed AFTER winning a match?

The Hawkeye Nation is abuzz.

Were getting national coverage OUTSIDE of the wrestling community.

Were you not entertained?

Naw.. You’re missing something here, Sans. AJ is evolving the idea of college wrestling villain, in reel time. Singlehandedly. This is next-level villainy shite. Up until now, the villains have only pranked the opponents and their fans. But AJ has turned that standard upside down and it’s time to embrace the darkness, imo.

Okay, I understand satire.

Were you not entertained?l
It would be pretty cool if he gave the AJ salute in a sold out Gallagher Iba. I’d buy the t shirt for that….

Reactions: xjohnx
Alternatively, or additionally, maybe he and Karl can get in to a chair throwing battle and go full WWE. I really want to see some emotion out of Kale to confirm if he is a real boy or an AI bot.
Gladiator GIF

Alternatively, or additionally, maybe he and Karl can get in to a chair throwing battle and go full WWE. I really want to see some emotion out of Kale to confirm if he is a real boy or an AI bot.
Good point...I like your thought process (humor of course). Like him or hate him Cael is about as calm and collected as they come and he backs it up with NCAA individual champions and team championships. I'm ok with being the bad boys of NCAA wrestling (to a degree), as long as we can also back it up...and second this year would be very very good.

Only one NCAA champ in 2021 arguably had a more entertaining post match interview than Spencer’s ‘excuses are for wusses’ interview. And that guy was AJ Ferrari.

Reactions: xjohnx
I’d rather root for likable people. My hot take is the Brands can be a little much as well as some fans.
Did anyone else think that Tom was unusually "calm" at the end of this match? I've never seen him react in this fashion, I guess I thought he would have at least said "hey, A.J chill" or something to that effect. I realize he wasn't his coach for the match but that surely was overridden by the situation.

Reactions: el dub
Did anyone else think that Tom was unusually "calm" at the end of this match? I've never seen him react in this fashion, I guess I thought he would have at least said "hey, A.J chill" or something to that effect. I realize he wasn't his coach for the match but that surely was overridden by the situation.
I saw a pic recently with everyone else freaking out at something off camera and Tom smiling. I was thinking it was shit after 197 finals on Sat?

No, I have never seen a wrestler DQ-ed after a match and probably won’t again.

Thank God he didn’t have an Iowa singlet on.

When you’re the bad boys of NCAA wrestling but you’re arguably not even the second best team, you’re just the insufferable douche bags of NCAA wrestling.
Spooner - this just might be your best post ever! You were slipping but you got your fastball back.

Reactions: sstark46
I imagine Tom is trying to portray calmness and trying to show control.

This current circus certainly can't be much fun.

Reactions: el dub

I was thoroughly entertained!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT