ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa-Oklahoma State Running Retro Diary

The Vak

HR All-American
Jan 25, 2002
I posted this on Intermat's forum, but thought it was fun and wanted to share.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, being a parent can sometimes be lame because my "children" want to "spend quality time with me" and whatever. So I taped this dual, and am blatantly stealing an old Bill Simmons gag and will give you my thoughts on this dual as it happens...for me. For you guys this happened hours ago. This could be great or a trainwreck. Lets go!

Drake Ayala vs. Troy Spratley

Obviously this is a match Iowa needs, but that Spratley is a very live underdog in. Let dive in.

1st Period: Looks like a lively crowd! Fortunately nothing bad has ever happened to an Iowa 125 in a packed GIA. One minute in and we have half shot from both guys and a warning to both wrestlers for hands to the face. Stall call against Ayala for backing out, I don't really like those if the "attacking" wrestler isn't actually taking a committed attack, but they did go pretty quickly to the edge once Spratley dug the underhook.

They're a bit chippy back and forth, popping each other in the head. Nobody has truly threatened anybody with an attack yet. It should be noted that Spratley has a stupid face....ok that was an uncalled for shot. It's not his fault he has a stupid face. #RivalryWeek

Spratley probably came the closest to grabbing a leg there, but got stuffed by Ayala with about 40 seconds to go.

2nd period: Spratley and his aforementioned face take bottom and they're out quickly. Ayala tried to work a Russian tie, but never did anything with it. A big picture of the clock just covered up the wrestlers, thanks a lot Flo! Wait, who's broadcasting this one? Not a whole lot happens here, they exchange shots that are better but nobody comes close to a TD. It felt like Ayala was winning the handfighting in that period, but no points, no matter.

3rd period: We start off the third right where you would expect to in a hotly contested, razor thin match, with a lingering shot of Tom Brands (probably) gazing wistfully at the mat. Spratley got a little funky on top for a second, but Ayala switches out of it, and they're forehead to forehead again. Someone finally gets to a leg after the ref starts verbally calling for action, and it's Spratley, but it's quickly stuffed and we're back neutral. Ayala nearly circles to a leg, but Spratley stays moving and Ayala never gets to an advantage position. Nobody gets anything going, and we're off to OT. How mad am I going to be at Spratley's face (that many people are saying is stupid.)

OT: NOT MAD AT ALL STUPID FACE, THAT'S HOW MAD! Spratley sure looked stuck there, but the ref took his sweet ass time getting into position, and Drake eventually was awarded the win after looking like he should have been awarded the TD at least once earlier in the sequence. Feels like it should have been 6 for Iowa, will that loom large....

Ayala and Spratley appear to ask after each other's families and just a little friendly check in.

Brody Teske vs. Daton Fix

A little surprising to see Teske here. I do not see any of Derek Fix's special boom boom juice in the corner. This is probably not going to be as fun for me as 125.

1st Period: Fix nearly passed Teske by so hard he got taken down, but he skips out of it. Somebody tell Teske just to stand there and stare at Fix and make him shoot. Fix semicuts him (which is a bit surprising) but he may be chasing the major, which is nice to see. I spoke to soon, Fix barely moved the rest of the period. He's fortunate he's wrestling Brody Teske, who seems to forget he's in wrestling matches about 83% of the time.

2nd Period: We get a good hot of Derek Fix trying to helpfully point out to Daton some alternative injection sites. Teske somewhat effectively riding him...for about 15 seconds, then Fix performs some magic and casts those hips over. Honestly, based on how it looked, a minor miracle for Teske to only give up 1, I thought he might end up on his back.

FIx gets into a nice high crotch, but Teske somewhat surprisingly takes him thru and is defending with an effective chest lock. Looks like it's only a matter of time, though, Fix appears to be navigating to the finish. Teske is actually doing ok for himself, and then Fix just decides to try to push him over. Teske is flirting with the neutral danger call, and the ref calls it. Can't really tell from my angle whether Teske ever came out of it, but then the ref weirdly blows stalemate when it seemed like Fix could have gone for back points? WTF? 7-1 after the second. The announcers keep trying to say "money roll" about Fix's escape.

Fetch Mean Girls GIF by Paramount Movies

Third period: Fix cuts Teske again, and is going to look for a major. He kind of stumbles into a leg off a burst of forward motion from Teske, but Teske kicks out and we're handfighting in the middle again. Teske goes for an ankle pick, and nearly gets there, so credit for not shutting it down, but Fix is too good, skips out again. I don't know if Teske is sensing some flagging energy from Fix, or if he's trying to make his case for being the postseason guy, but he's coming at Fix with some heavy hands. Teske now taking some legit shots on FIx's legs. Kinda hoping he throttles back a little and doesn't get countered to give up the major,, but it DOES look like Fix is a bit tired. Nice effort from Teske, and he doesn't give up the major either. It's hard to believe Fix is going to make 57 kg, yeesh.

Real Woods vs. Tagen Jamison

Another match, like 125, where it feels like Iowa really needs it, but that based on how Real Woods has looked, Jamison is a very live dog.

1st Period: Woods looking a little like theo ld Real and in right away. Jamison fighting hard with a whizzer, and I thought Woods had both ankles and was behind, but the ref doesn't award a TD and calls out of bounds a couple of seconds later. POLL THE JURY! There is a lady in the stands who gets overly excited anytime a Cowboy moves. Woods is dancing and feinting, has take a couple of shots, but only briefly touched an ankle. Jamison has taken one half shot, and otherwise has just waved his hands at Woods leg from his staggered stance, hoping I guess to summon Woods leg to him, Harry Potter style.

Harry Potter Magic GIF

Second Period: Someone got cautioned, I think Woods, but the stunning camerawork hid it from me, because who doesn't love a good mystery. Jamison got about 25 seconds of riding time, so he may have an interesting choice if we go 1-0 to the third...never mind, Woods gets in on theswing single again, and he adjusts to avoid the whizzer, nicei n-match adjustment. Now we'll see how Jamison handles Woods top work. The answer was: Not well! Woods rides out the period, breaking Jamison flat a couple of times. Jamison was on his feet as time expired, lets see what he does to start the third.

Third Period: Jamison chooses bottom! Woods has flagged at the end of matches, so lets see...Jamison does well! He gets out with only 44 seconds on the board, a TD ties this match! Lets see if the whole waving thing works...Woods is still controlling the pace of this match, he has Jamison sprawling at feints instead of looking for angles for his own shot (which I assume he is capable of doing?) He was not. Woods controlled throughout, and was in on a single (to burn time) at the end.

Now onto the main event, the Voinivich Revenge Match! If this were the NBA, they'd be playing Victor's tribute video right now. I'm a little surprised this isn't Rathjen.

Victor Voinivich vs. Jordan Williams

1st Period: Voinivich in early on a high crotch and I'm kind of surprised they didn't call a TD, but maybe the ref knows more than I do, because within seconds Williams has crotchlifted Voinivich into a more advantageous position. Williams finishes the scramble and secures it for himself. Voinivich, obviously feeling it went so well last time, shoots a left-side high crotch and Williams is almost immediately past his shoulder and looking to counter, but Voinivich wisely lays his belly down and waits for the stalemate. I haven't watched a whole bunch of Williams season, he's got some funky stuff. NOt a whole lot of traditional offense from him so far, but I think I saw a bootscoot in there and the counter stuff he showed was nice. 3-1 into the second.

2nd Period: 3-2 as Voinivich is out right away. Really weird stall call against Williams for "playing the edge" given that Voinivich wasn't doing much to earn it at that point, but there's no denying most of the neutral initiation has been done by Voinivich. For his part, Voinivich isn't shooting at the left side anymore, so that's progress! Of course, he's just waving at Williams' right leg at this point as it stays far away from him. 3-2 into the third. The announcers are talking about Voinvich's top game as if the only tape they've seen on him is from high school.

3rd Period: AS mentioned, Voinivich is not the guy on top he was in high school. He puts up little resistance, and now he's in on a left swing single and is standing, so that's bet...never mind, Williams countered him into that same damned left high crotch. Williams is countering hard, then they stall out. The ref lets it keep going for longer than I would have expected, and now Williams is getting into an advantage position...but now the ref calls stalemate? Another weird call. Voinivich is coming with heavy hands, but still can't come close to Williams' right leg, and a SWEET duck by Williams and now he's in deep...he quickly finishes, and then the ref immediately blows a stalemate again? I believe this is the same guy who made this same call in Fix-Teske. Also, the position Williams got his 3 in looked very similar to the one Voinivich was in in the first, but the refs let it play out. I'm very confused. I believe Coach Smith may agree with me. Williams looks like he's 11 years old, geez. Voinivich again can't help himself and get baited into attacking the left leg...

Williams doing a little too much celebrating given the level of his opponent, but he's 12 and it's his first Iowa dual, I'll give him a pass.

Jared Franek vs. Teague Travis

1st Period: I feel like Franek is more active than I thought he was, he just doesn't get to a leg very often. He's taking actual attacks. 4 shots to 0 in the first, by my count. But no points is no points. Franek finished the period on a leg, but not close to a finish.

2nd Period: Travis on top, just kind of leeching. Franek almost gets out to start, but after that it's just ground-based handfighting for the first 30 seconds. Franek gets out of the next restart, but based on what we just saw and what I've seen of Franek...he's going to want to not let this get anywhere near a rideout situation, lol. Travis with the Ric Flair eyepoke, and the crowd does not like that Franek put his eye in the way of Travis' fingers. Franek pounces on a double and finishes, great job! Travis is quickly away. Franek pounces again onto an ankle, and finishes (camerawork again prevented me from seeing how) and Franek hangs on to end the period and suddenly we're in major decision territory. 7-1 into the third.

3rd Period: Travis out quickly. WHOA! With a 1:40 left in the match, Travis wildly dives at Franek's legs in a double! Did he not know he could do that until right now? Travis finially gets to a leg. They're in a weird scramble, and Franek's knee is in a tough spot that I don't know where he can move it, and the ref calls potentially dangerous. Coleman Scott is upset and appears to be explaining to the referee that the real estate situations in Stillwater are actually much more favorable than Chapel Hill than you would think, so you can't really blame him for moving to a lower position and abandoning all the athletes he recruited...Travis is coming hard now, and Franek with a counter low double to get the 10-2 lead! The clock shows 26 seconds, though, and given what we've seen so far, it's hard to see Franek riding this out for the major...wait, apparently it's 18 seconds? The TV broadcast clock is just running right now. #ThanksFlo Wait, now the broadcasters are saying 25 seconds, but the clock is showing 16...this is a mess. Now there's blood time. Now on the restart, they called locked hands? Now they're reviewing it themselves without a brick being thrown? Good luck getting out of the building tonight, guys. Call confirmed, very close. Franek immediately cuts, and he wins! Good first half for Iowa!

EMERGENCY INTERMISSION INTERVIEW RECAP:

I normally would not recap the coach interview, but Smitty is FIRED UP! Too fired up, maybe, as the best simile he could come up with was "falling over like a building" but he's not super happy with the first half performance. Specifically he takes out Spratley and Travis by name, yeesh! I think it's important to note how terrible orange looks as a primary team color. You look terrible, Smitty.

Serious note, great to see Pat Smith looking healthy and sounding great. Also the most incredible humblebrag in history as he tells a story about techfalling Joe Williams and using it to explain how he knew Joe would be great! That's truly incredible work by the man, Pat Smith!

Michael Caliendo vs. Izzy Olejnik

This is an interesting match, because Caliendo beat the piss out of Olejnik last year, but Olejnik has looked both better than Caliendo AND improved this season. Lets go!

1st period: Caliendo in early, and the ref is really stretching the limits of reaction time here. Finally Caliendo just picks up Olejnik and puts him down and gets the TD awarded. Caliendo with the Houdini bootscoot into a TD, that was as fast as I've ever seen him move! Caliendo (stallingly) rides out the period. 6-1 into the second.

2nd Period: Caliendo takes his riding time over a minute and Olejnik is out. Will Claiendo press his neutral advantage? Olejnik is reacting to Caliendo right now, not pursuing his own TD. Nice exchange that almost results in a TD for Caliendo, but they're back neutral. Not much committed action throughout, and Ginger Ninja takes his 6-2 lead into the third. WIll he go bottom?

3rd Period: He does! Interesting, although maybe Olejnik will not put up much resistance given the 4 point difference. Olejnik with his best attack, but unfortunately he is puny and weak. Caliendo never threatened again.

hulk smash GIF

Caliendo didn't really push for the major, but he did PRETEND to push for the major, which is nearly as good.

Patrick Kennedy vs. Brayden Thompson

1st Period: Kennedy in VERY quickly, and the ref is AGAIN pushing the limits of "reaction time" and "takedown criteria". Eventually Kennedy secured the TD, and now he's riding. He takes his riding time close to a minute, and then Thompson escapes but Kennedy is RIGHT BACK IN! Finishes quickly, very nice! I would cut him again. Thompson hit for stalling on bottom, and I have to be honest, I thought it was possible I would not enjoy this if it went poorly for Iowa, but this has been a real pleasure.

2nd Period: Kennedy out quickly, and then is attacking immediately again and, honestly, you love to see it. Kennedy earns a stall call as he continues to attack, he gets in, but Thompson grabs a foot and stalemate is called. 8-1 into the third, and Kennedy should earn a major here.

3rd Period: Thompson chooses down, because Kennedy is not really a threat to score points from top....unless Thompson leaves his head on the mat like this. Now the ref just called stalling on Kennedy which...what? Says he was riding parallel, which...was true at that exact moment, but he had been out to the side like 3 seconds earlier, and Thompson's head was buried on the mat. Kennedy cuts him, and gets to an ankle pick and secures the major.

Guys, I swear I didn't know the results, but this has been a very pleasurable experience so far! Will Gabe Arnold go? Are we setting up for Glazier to lock up another dual win for Iowa?

Gabe Arnold vs. Dustin Plott

Whoa! He's going! Very interesting! Lets see how he stacks up against the top of the weight class...Plott is a volume attacker and Arnold is EXTREMELY stingy on defense. One thing's almost certain, Gabe will get hit for stalling in this match!

1st Period: Early on Plott is the more aggressive man, but Arnold is taking shots, although neither guy has really committed to anything. Some nice exchanges, and Plott pulls out the now seemingly OK State patented Ric Flair Eye poke!

ric-flair-eye-poke.gif

Plott gets in and finishes. He manages to hold maintain top position, though it was a dicey proposition.

2nd Period: Plott out quickly. He's in DEEP on another double but holy crap, how did Arnold get out of that? Incredible defense, but he needs to find his way to some points....Arnold rightfully warned for stalling (called it!) and not much else happens, and we're off to the third.

3rd Period: Arnold takes down. I assume Plott will try to ride to get riding time, then cut and look for the major. Plott not DOING anything on top, but he's maintaining position. Now the ref calls him for stalling, and it's as nonsensical as the one they called on Caliendo. Plott was out to the side at the moment it happened., and now he's cutting to look for the major, but it's hard to see that happening with Arnold's defense. And nothing happens. I think this solidifies for me that Arnold should stay in redshirt. He's too small for 184, IMO.

Zach Glazier vs. Luke Surber

Glazier can lock this dual up for Iowa AGAIN, which is pretty good for a guy Iowa was trying to keep on the bench.

1st Period: Man, some nice exchanges, and Glazier just stoned a very promising attack from Surber. Glazier is struggling to get to the single leg he's had a lot of success with so far this season. 0-0 into the second.

2nd Period: Surber rides tough for about 30 seconds, but then Surber is out. Glazier with a NICE attack, but Surber grabs a foot, and the action stalls out. 1-0 Surber into the third.

3rd Period: Glazier chooses bottom, and here we go...weird scramble, and the ref gives a LOT of grace to Surber as he was on his back! Good God, man, that was a reversal and NF, but the ref just gives Glazier 1 escape! Glazier in again, and a WILD scramble ensues, but Glazier comes out! A rare Iowa win in a scramble situation! Iowa locks it up!

Ben Kueter vs. Konner Doucet

Lets see what Kueter can do against the third tier at this weight. Doucet out here looking like the assistant manager at an Arby's. JUST GET ME MY BEEF N' CHEDDAR, MY GUY!

1st Period: Kueter just seems hesitant due to the size difference. A bummer for us as fans that he's doing both sports, as obviously that's going to hurt his development. Neither guy really did anything. 0-0.

2nd Period: Doucet down, and a nice mat return! Doucet nearly gets put on his back, but it ends up in neutral. 1-0 Doucet. Referee tells Doucet, who is having a fun time staring at Kueter, and Kueter, who just missed on a committed shot, that both guys need to create action, so that's fun. Doucet takes a semi shot, but that is all the action.

3rd Period: Kueter takes down. Lets see where his tank is at. Kueter has Doucet on his back! Oh, they only gave him the reversal? Are you serious? What the...wait, never mind, they did give him two nearfall. We might have seen Brands literally explode if they didn't give those nearfall. Kueter riding tough, and he looks solid! Big improvement from earlier this year! He just moves differently than most other heavyweights, which will make some (not like Kerkvleit or Hendrickson) uncomfortable. Kueter rides it out and he's your winner!

My take on who should be Iowa's postseason lineup:

125: Ayala

133: Teske

141: Woods

149: Rathjen

157: Franek

165: Caliendo

174: Kennedy

184: Not Gabe Arnold.

197: Glazier

285: Kueter

Reactions: sdvike and eb05