ADVERTISEMENT

How bad will things have to be this year for you to change your mind about Brian?

fans thought stanley was the worst and petras would be best. but 3 years later they would’ve given left nut for stanley.
fast forward a year. deacon hill. fans ready to give left for petras.
going back to greg davis years, he was thought to be the worst but once brian did his thing greg davis looked good.
long story short. cannot write off the possibility of fans looking back fondly at the years of brian.

fans thought stanley was the worst and petras would be best. but 3 years later they would’ve given left nut for stanley.
going back to greg davis years, he was thought to be the worst but once brian did his thing greg davis looked good.
long story short. cannot write off the possibility of fans looking back fondly at the years of brian.
The chances of someone performing worse than Brian Ferentz at OC is about the same chance we had of hiring someone worse than Todd Lickliter.

BF was incompetent as an OC and so is KF for never acknowledging it and making the change.

Honestly nothing can change my mind about him. There was so many simple things that don't require talent that could help that he'd either refuse to do or would use 1 game successfully and never use it again.

The only thing that could change my mind about him is if I physically witnessed him fill out a job application because we all know he's never had to before. Seeing him do that would earn at least a little respect from me.

literally nothing can ever change my mind about junior at this point, even if Iowa's offense averages negative yards per game this year

KF and nor his son are stupid people. They both could see the offense BF was putting on the field was bad and kept getting worse. KF could have moved on from his son, but he allowed it to continue. BF could have left of his own accord, but had to be shown the door instead. The offense this season could be just as bad or worse, but will never change what was allowed to happen the last 2 seasons.

Hill, though, is more a product of poor recruiting and Iowa not planning better to have a viable backup in place.

Nobody was getting their hopes up when McNamara went down and Hill had to come in.

In fact, many people said if Cade went down, Iowa would be in deep shit........

Reactions: desihawk
I just cannot fathom a scenario in which I would think "Boy, I'd like to have Tommy Boy back as our OC." Lester would have to be instructing the guys to run toward the wrong end zone or just hand the ball to the defenders or something like that, because that's the only thing that could make it worse.

KF's got himself into a heck of a conundrum. If the offense starts to thrive under Lester, then it is absolute proof that the BF hire was a mistake and keeping him on as long as he did was criminal coaching negligence on his part. If the offense still sucks, then everyone will know without a doubt that he himself is the root of the problem, and he may be shown the door earlier than he's planning on.

BTW, those of you who are awesome at finding threads from years ago would discover that this scenario was very easy to predict back in 2017.

I just cannot fathom a scenario in which I would think "Boy, I'd like to have Tommy Boy back as our OC." Lester would have to be instructing the guys to run toward the wrong end zone or just hand the ball to the defenders or something like that, because that's the only thing that could make it worse.

KF's got himself into a heck of a conundrum. If the offense starts to thrive under Lester, then it is absolute proof that the BF hire was a mistake and keeping him on as long as he did was criminal coaching negligence on his part. If the offense still sucks, then everyone will know without a doubt that he himself is the root of the problem, and he may be shown the door earlier than he's planning on.

BTW, those of you who are awesome at finding threads from years ago would discover that this scenario was very easy to predict back in 2017.
No one will ever be nostalgic for Brian the same way no one will ever miss Todd Lickliter.

Actually, if Iowa had an 0-18 conference season, then you might hear a few fans say, “Maybe Lickliter wasn’t so bad.”

Only in one of the scenarios that you described could anyone even consider wishing Brian back. And even that would be short lived.

Reactions: iahawkeyes17
Hill, though, is more a product of poor recruiting and Iowa not planning better to have a viable backup in place.

Nobody was getting their hopes up when McNamara went down and Hill had to come in.

In fact, many people said if Cade went down, Iowa would be in deep shit........
Consider that Cade and Hill both transferred in. What the hell has been going on with QB recruiting?! The answer is clear...offense is just not a priority for KFz. It's getting old.

Lickliter was never as bad as Brian. Lickliter had two below 500 seasons and then decided it would be a good idea to have his son start playing meaningful minutes. That got shutdown fast thankfully. Brian shouldn’t have lasted past the end of 2021. But he got another two seasons. Last football season there were multiple games where Iowa would have had better chances at winning if the offense just took three knees and then punted every possession. Enough said.

I think OP is trolling. If we see an improvement to say #101 offensively, will you be satisfied? I could be wrong, because everyone knows we know how bad Brian was.
Absolutely not.

BUT..at least we would be able to accurately use the word “improvement” to describe the offense.

Reactions: amahawk
I was never much of a fan of Brian as an OC. But I can tell you he was quite a ways down on the list of reasons for Iowa's offensive struggles the past couple seasons
I agree with this. I mean, it was clearly time to try something different at OC so I’m not trying to argue Brian should still be the OC. But I’m not yet convinced Lester could do significantly better with Deacon Hill, a leaky OL, the worst (maybe?) WR room in the conference, and injuries to all our best TEs.

I’m just hoping and praying for no injuries so we don’t have to find out how Lester does with those weapons because I’m afraid we aren’t far off from running that experiment back again in 2024.

This might be the dumbest post ever! No matter how bad we are this year or beyond it won’t result in missing BF. Does anyone miss Lickliter when Fran is struggling? Of course not…BF was awful plain and simple regardless of comparatives.

Reactions: TampaHawkfan
The festering pile of crap that is the Iowa offense is going to take more than one off season to fix. And fixing something that is so completely broken may not look like fixing at the moment.
I don’t know if the offense could actually be any worse. If the losses start piling up, it will not be because the offense took a step back. We’ve asked for a lot from our defense and special teams the last few years, and they’ve delivered in a big way. If they don’t have yet another incredible season, any progress the offense makes could be negated.

Reactions: MeetTheFerentzes
Brian alongside Kirk destroyed the offense over the 7 years those 2 were in charge. It ain't getting fixed overnight.
This! A lotta damage was done by Brian, both in terms of development and recruitment. Gonna take some time to build it back up.

Lickliter was never as bad as Brian. Lickliter had two below 500 seasons and then decided it would be a good idea to have his son start playing meaningful minutes. That got shutdown fast thankfully. Brian shouldn’t have lasted past the end of 2021. But he got another two seasons. Last football season there were multiple games where Iowa would have had better chances at winning if the offense just took three knees and then punted every possession. Enough said.
Sadly, anyone who didn’t watch Iowa last season would think this is hyperbole. We all know it’s not.

Reactions: Greenway4Prez
We are never going to miss BF. Never. Ever,

It's possible, although unlikely, that we will hate Lester just as much, but we will never miss BF.

Never. Ever.
Boom. And this 2024 season is still on Brian. It’s really only fair to judge Lester really in 2025 based on the depth of despair Brian took this offense to. And I guarantee you Lester wouldn’t get seven years at offensive coordinator for a number of reasons.

• Haha
Reactions: pistachio1999
I am not changing my mind about Brian. He should have never been promoted to OC with no experience, not at a top 25 P5 team and he should never be near another QB as a QB coach again.

He could not adjust in games because of his lack of experience. If IOwa had a decent, experienced OC the last 7 years especially the last 3 years Iowa would have had a very good chance at Big titles and CFP appearances.

I'll never change my mind about Brian. He needed to go. Period.

The real question here is whether Lester was the right choice as his replacement. That remains to be seen, but that has zero to do with BF.

Reactions: HemiHawk
I always question the fans that say Stanley wasn't a good qb. His record as a starter was impressive...27 wins in his three years (8, 9, and 10). Cheers and GO HAWKS!

It's always been Kirk. Always.
I’m not so sure. In Kirk’s earlier years we handled things differently. Remember in 2004, ironically Iowa’s last big ten title (co-champions anyway) we had so many injuries offensively. It was always, “Next Man Up.”
Suddenly, last year “Next Man Up” went away when your son is becoming the worst offensive coordinator in big time college football history and it’s now, “Well it would have been different, without the injuries. How are we expected to win games?”

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT