ADVERTISEMENT

How was the crowd?

Originally posted by Big D 23:
"More than 5k" Per U. of Iowa press release.
Really? Surprised to hear that is what they put it at. Didn't seem like that many, but entirely possible.

The smallish crowd on a perfect early spring day is just one more piece of evidence that apathy has a firm grip on many Iowa football fans. If there were any enthusiasm for the Hawkeyes at all, Valley would have been SRO. Alas, the only momentum Iowa has is down hill. The Hawkeyes really are in the valley.

Originally posted by Big D 23:
"More than 5k" Per U. of Iowa press release.
That's a 13,000 seat stadium and no way was it 1/3 full. I'd guess there was about 2,500-3,000. You could find a seat wherever you wanted. Additionally, many left about halfway through the scrimmage.

I'm not sure it was 5k, but there were more than I expected. A third full sounds about right.

I thought it was a surprisingly good crowd, way over half full. How do I post a pic on here?

I would have guessed about 4K. It was probably down to about 1,000 by the end.

Valley Stadium seats 8000, Don't you think a 13000 seat stadium for an Iowa High School would be a bit wasteful? Not to be a d--- but I am always amazed how some people spout off with facts that are completely pulled out of their rear ends.

Originally posted by HawkMD97:
Valley Stadium seats 8000, Don't you think a 13000 seat stadium for an Iowa High School would be a bit wasteful? Not to be a d--- but I am always amazed how some people spout off with facts that are completely pulled out of their rear ends.
I'm not saying my info isn't wrong, but I didn't pull it out of thin air. This entry says valley stadium is the largest HS stadium in iowa and seats 13,000. Compared to the UNI dome, which holds 16,000, I could believe it. The UNI dome seating doesn't look twice as much.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waukee_Stadium

Apathy and a boring set up to watch. From the sounds of it, there isn't much to see. If only 1,000 people stayed until the end, something is wrong.

I'm not sure what Iowa is trying to do with this West Des Moines visit. Are they trying to reach out to western Iowa fans? They are obviously failing if only 1,000 people are hanging around one of two open viewings of a Big Ten practice with the type of following Iowa has.

Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by HawkStar:
I thought it was a surprisingly good crowd, way over half full. How do I post a pic on here?
What stadium were you at beacause at Valley it was more like 2500.
This post was edited on 4/12 9:00 AM by hawkssox1

Originally posted by notlongago:

Originally posted by HawkMD97:
I'm not saying my info isn't wrong, but I didn't pull it out of thin air. This entry says valley stadium is the largest HS stadium in iowa and seats 13,000. Compared to the UNI dome, which holds 16,000, I could believe it. The UNI dome seating doesn't look twice as much.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waukee_Stadium
8000 is the correct #.

Originally posted by SWIowahawks:
Apathy and a boring set up to watch. From the sounds of it, there isn't much to see. If only 1,000 people stayed until the end, something is wrong.

I'm not sure what Iowa is trying to do with this West Des Moines visit. Are they trying to reach out to western Iowa fans? They are obviously failing if only 1,000 people are hanging around one of two open viewings of a Big Ten practice with the type of following Iowa has.

It's basically throwing a bone to Hawk fans in the biggest city in the state/our state's capital. As well as a very minor attempt to win some of the fans on the fence, living so close to Cyclone territory, over to Iowa.

Crowd numbers are hard to determine. I sat in a stadium yesterday for a spring practice game and the fan next to me said "looks like their might be 85,000 here, the fan on the other side said "no I thinks it's more like 70,000." I mean how can you tell. The official announcement then said 77,800 I think. Must have been because they allowed tailgating. Probably would have been more if they hadn't charged for tickets.

Originally posted by CoachoftheFuture1:
The smallish crowd on a perfect early spring day is just one more piece of evidence that apathy has a firm grip on many Iowa football fans. If there were any enthusiasm for the Hawkeyes at all, Valley would have been SRO. Alas, the only momentum Iowa has is down hill. The Hawkeyes really are in the valley.
A 5k crowd for something that is not widely published/known about and is a scrimmage is now considered apathy? It was one of the first nice spring weekend days of the year and you expect 10,000 to show up for a practice. You guys have about as much reasoning as a 5 year old. Coming off a poor year, expecting good numbers is laughable. You come off the Orange Bowl year, then it is apathy. A poor year, numbers should be low and it would be delusional to think we have a fan base that isn't 75% fair weather fans like most schools.

Originally posted by Buffhawk:
Change will be the only thing that will bring the fans back in. From what I read in the paper this morning, it didn't happen yesterday.
You were expecting an early Spring bread and butter inter-squad practice to possibly signal changes to the football program?

It wasn't a large or loud crowd. It was mostly the kind of fan who came to see what early indications could be determined...even I left before it was over, and I wasn't discouraged by what I saw.

Originally posted by pepsicock:
Is this your Spring Game ? Will it be replayed on BIg 10 Network ? Thanks
No. This is the annual attempt by Iowa to get attention from ISU by holding a practice in Des Moines the day of the ISU spring game. It's pretty funny.

Originally posted by Lone Clone:

No. This is the annual attempt by Iowa to get attention from ISU by holding a practice in Des Moines the day of the ISU spring game. It's pretty funny.
ISU gets no attention at their Spring Game regardless if the Hawks are in West Des Moines or not. It's pretty funny.

Are you serious?

This is the same as if an Iowa fan asked Pepsi a question about South Carolina on a South Carolina forum and a Clemson Tiger fan answered with a smart ass answer.

Pretty lame, Lone Clone.

Originally posted by N.Legend:
Crowd numbers are hard to determine. I sat in a stadium yesterday for a spring practice game and the fan next to me said "looks like their might be 85,000 here, the fan on the other side said "no I thinks it's more like 70,000." I mean how can you tell. The official announcement then said 77,800 I think. Must have been because they allowed tailgating. Probably would have been more if they hadn't charged for tickets.
Must be awesome to have nothing else better to do. The simple life is so underrated.

Well, it worked, so.........we win.

Maybe Lonely Clown can tell us how many showed up at the UAB spring game. Probably more than show up for ISUcks baseball.

Originally posted by Aegon_Targaryen:

Must be awesome to have nothing else better to do. The simple life is so underrated.
Iowa City and Des Moines is a hopping place in the spring! I forgot....your "bar scene" is amazing which explains why your fan support is so dismal. Only a Hogeye.

Originally posted by KcRoyals13:

Iowa City and Des Moines is a hopping place in the spring! I forgot....your "bar scene" is amazing which explains why your fan support is so dismal. Only a Hogeye.
Actually the bar scenes in both cities is pretty good. Fusker, you guys are like a giant Texas team. You take your football too seriously, drop everything because of it, have shady back door politics going on, and you drive your coaches batty with your constant whining and pressure to win games.

Don't hate your big brother to the east, we are a loving folk. We hate you, but that's besides the point.

Actually the bar scenes in both cities is pretty good. Fusker, you guys are like a giant Texas team. You take your football too seriously, drop everything because of it, have shady back door politics going on, and you drive your coaches batty with your constant whining and pressure to win games.

Don't hate your big brother to the east, we are a loving folk. We hate you, but that's besides the point.
AKA "our football program sucks...and always has." Typical Hogeye talk. Hogeyes would kill to have similar fan support as NU brings to the table. "Big brother" interesting name for a team that plays like a sally when they step on the field. "Bullies of the big ten." bwahahahahahahahah

AKA "our football program sucks...and always has." Typical Hogeye talk. Hogeyes would kill to have similar fan support as NU brings to the table. "Big brother" interesting name for a team that plays like a sally when they step on the field. "Bullies of the big ten." bwahahahahahahahah
We do have similar fan support silly. I assure you though we wouldn't kill to have it at the level you believe you have over us, despite you being wrong about that.

That's the difference between us Fusker. You would literally kill, if your support wasn't already obsessive. Do you understand how disturbing that is? And you wonder why Pelini went mad.

We do have similar fan support silly. I assure you though we wouldn't kill to have it at the level you believe you have over us, despite you being wrong about that.

That's the difference between us Fusker. You would literally kill, if your support wasn't already obsessive. Do you understand how disturbing that is? And you wonder why Pelini went mad.
Maybe in your dreams. Maybe it is why Pelini went mad? Maybe he just has anger issues? I don't know. And Maybe Kirk is the way he is while racking up those 7 wins a year because Hogeye fans are okay with it? But like I said, 7 wins a year for the Hogeye program in your eyes is an accomplishment.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT