ADVERTISEMENT

I’m jealous….

do it jewish GIF

• Haha
Reactions: vhsalum
I'll be as transparent as I can. Honestly, I appreciated Tom and Terry's approach more than any other "top" programs that were after my kid. What meant the most were the simple hand written notes that Terry sent via snail mail. Gabe received so much, from so many, it was overwhelming. But here are two story's that stick out the most with these two:

When Terry came to our home for Gabe's visit, it was literally the FIRST day where he could visit. He made it a point to make sure he was the first coach that crossed the door's threshold, and was there early in the morning. When he came in, it literally never felt like a coach visiting, he made himself right at home, ate breakfast with us, played with the dog, and took the required pics with the snake. When he left, my wife asked who he was. I told her to look him up. When she did, she was amazed at his accolades, but more so that he didn't spend any time bragging about them. He set the standard for visits, and I knew why he wanted to be first after all of them were done.

Tom and Morningstar came to Who's number one that year to watch Gabe. I remember it was a nut house after he beat Rocco, with a bunch of coaches trying to get to Gabe and I. When Tom finally got to us, I'll never forget what he said, it was simple and didn't blow smoke or anything like that. His message was clear and to the point, "we want Gabe, like what we saw, he needs to be a Hawkeye"

Those two are the reason Gabe is a Hawkeye. I could tell you all the stories from this year alone that have confirmed over and over again this is the right place for my kid. But they won't matter to most of you. I appreciated all the coaches who took the time to recruit my kid, that came to our home, that called, every last one of them, but NONE impressed us the way this team did or has. Look, I get it, you fans want to be NUMBER 1 and be the best, but as a parent, let me be VERY clear: That is not the priority for my kid. That's a goal for sure, but I want him to be a good person, a better man, and a grateful individual. I know that all those things, and then some, he gets here.

I'm not some homer that dotes on coaches just because. I don't believe in that crap. What I do believe in is trusting the process that was laid out for MY wrestler, and to that extent, I've not been let down in the slightest. OH and unlike a lot of you dim-witted, fair weather fans, I have EVERY confidence that we will get back to the top of the mountain.

And yes, I know some of you are going to rip this apart, but you should know enough about me by now to know that I really don't give a rat's ass....

Just speaking my heart.
THIS should let all of those wondering where Gabe gets his candor and upfront nature know EXACTLY where it comes from. Thank you for perspective and for confirming the true recruiting story not the crap all of the trolls post here as Gospel.

Your guy owns, among other things, these two:

He owns over 53,000 apartments and rental units.

I'm not claiming that Bob isn't wealthy. But there's levels of wealth. Billionaire is a different tier. OKST's primary donor is certifiably a billionaire and is on the Forbes 400 list of richest Americans. Is Bob a billionaire?

We appreciate the insight. Can you tell us if there was any negative recruiting about Iowa and if so what those were. I ask because I think a narrative is starting to form about Iowa wrestling that is holding us back from gaining interest over some top recruits. I understand if you don’t feel comfortable. Again, appreciate the insight.
Funny this was actually asked. First you must understand that prior to us getting here, my wife was the mom the knew NOTHING about the sport. I did this intentionally because she knew how involved my entire family was with the sport and called us all lunatics because of it. But here's what's funny: I can't tell you how many times after a visit or a call from a coach that she asked me, "why does everyone hate Iowa so much"? I tried to get her to understand that for decades, Iowa has always been the bad guys, the rough ones, see the black singlet, fear the black singlet. Once she got to know the program personally, she took it to a whole different level. My wife, the soft spoken, never yell, stay quiet fan is like that no more. I can't let her see most of the crap on this forum because a lot of you would be cussed out, and she'd start looking to key your car. To her, the coaching staff is Family. ALL of them. And she will defend this program and those men to the very end. I can't tell you how many times we were told that my kid wouldn't fit in here by coaches, other program supporters, wrestlers, and so on. Heck, there were a few of you that may have mentioned the same thing during the recruitment process. Gabe knew he fit here, otherwise he'd be somewhere else.

I still get messages from other program supporters wondering if Gabe would be interested in leaving. I've found, especially now that it's a dog-eat-dog world. Loyalty, it seems is sold to the highest bidder, and that's sad for these kids, even sadder for the sport. But that's just where we are. After being here for almost two years now, knowing what I know, seeing what I've seen, my only regret is not moving here a year earlier than we did.

So yes, the negative recruiting is out there. It's a real thing, and it's probably more rampant that what I know from experience it to be. But I will share this: The entire time this staff was recruiting my son, NEVER did they speak badly about any program.

So that's all the insight you're getting from me for awhile. I'm going back to my voyeur status of watching and laughing about some of the stuff I read on here. I truly believe a few on here missed their true calling of being a stand up comic, or perhaps one of those backyard party clowns we all love so much. But then again, being on here make me realize that I may have missed my true calling of just being a fulltime jerk..... :)

I'm not claiming that Bob isn't wealthy. But there's levels of wealth. Billionaire is a different tier. OKST's primary donor is certifiably a billionaire and is on the Forbes 400 list of richest Americans. Is Bob a billionaire?

I’m guessing, conservatively, he has rental revenues of between $636,000,000 and 750,000,000 per year on those 53,000 rental properties.

Reactions: Sandor45
THIS should let all of those wondering where Gabe gets his candor and upfront nature know EXACTLY where it comes from. Thank you for perspective and for confirming the true recruiting story not the crap all of the trolls post here as Gospel.
You have NO idea how badly I wish my son would have taken more after his mother in this area. Like me, he has no filter, speaks his mind, whether you want to hear it or not, and truly believes he's the guy with the wallet that says, "bad MFer" on it. Sadly, he mis-places his wallet all the time, though.....

not even PSU was sold out this year... We are not Nebby and will brag about fake ticket sales. People are buying the tickets incase Iowa gets good again but not one time was the place actually full
Finally waited for someone to say this. TRUTH.

My wife, the soft spoken, never yell, stay quiet fan is like that no more. I can't let her see most of the crap on this forum because a lot of you would be cussed out, and she'd start looking to key your car.
Oh shnap. Now I'm glad I didn't call you and put a permanent record of my number in your phone bill. LOL.

• Haha
Reactions: ao_coachphil
Are you inviting me? I would love that but I live in Colorado. Maybe this fall when I'm back for a football game?

In the meantime, you should ask him why Iowa has been so slow in adapting to scrambling and wrestling through tough positions. I'm genuinely curious to hear his reasoning, as there likely exists some rationale behind it, right?
Yes, inviting you. Holler at me in the fall.

• Love
Reactions: GlenHawk
iowa will be middle of the pack attendance by 2029 without changes to the staff. I can't think of one exciting coach we have that people want to work with.... TnT have burned so many bridges and refuse to recruit. I'm Glad Gabes family liked them but they are not the norm now a days. I know it doesn't matter and as long as the inner circle is a bunch of bootlickers but at least we will be able to see what DT does at Okiest with no coaching experience and just think what could of been for the hawks.... Maybe we will get real lucky and M* or Telford will get the Head job when TnT retire.
Okst message boards will love your constant negativity. I hope you find something positive in that life of yours......

Okst message boards will love your constant negativity. I hope you find something positive in that life of yours......
lmao... this is wrestling, It doesn't effect my personal life but i am also able to be honest and objective. Im sorry if the boot is stuck so far into your mouth that it blocks the stink that is coming from the fifth place finish this year. I am absolutely going to be cheering for OSU also this year though, they are actually trying to knock off PSU..

Kill Count Boot Licker GIF by Dead Meat James

Great but mats are mats and the important thing is who on them. We are way behind psu and now barely hanging on to Michigan, Ohio state and ok state will be a problem. It’s the coaches and $.
I agree it matters who we recruit. I said it before, my opinion would be that Iowa go ALL IN on Bo Bassett just like they did Spencer and re-open that pipeline with Young Guns. The success they had with Spencer, Kem Dawg, Mad Max, and Kaleb Young all from Young Guns could be repeated. You get Bassett and maybe the other Young Guns kids will follow him, such as Melvin Miller, Mario Hutcherson, the younger Bassett brother and more. Try to repeat what you did with Spencer and the crew.

iowa will be middle of the pack attendance by 2029 without changes to the staff. I can't think of one exciting coach we have that people want to work with.... TnT have burned so many bridges and refuse to recruit. I'm Glad Gabes family liked them but they are not the norm now a days. I know it doesn't matter and as long as the inner circle is a bunch of bootlickers but at least we will be able to see what DT does at Okiest with no coaching experience and just think what could of been for the hawks.... Maybe we will get real lucky and M* or Telford will get the Head job when TnT retire.
You act like Gabe, Ben, and Angelo are not big recruits. You are a miserable old woman. We have been very successful in the portal and top 5 in the country in recruiting. Ryder is a big recruit as well in my opinion. If we don't lose Nate to the Navy it would have been an all-time recruiting class. Quit your bitchin. I'm with coach Phil. Iowa will a title in the next 4 years. I also think they will be a trophy team every year.

Funny this was actually asked. First you must understand that prior to us getting here, my wife was the mom the knew NOTHING about the sport. I did this intentionally because she knew how involved my entire family was with the sport and called us all lunatics because of it. But here's what's funny: I can't tell you how many times after a visit or a call from a coach that she asked me, "why does everyone hate Iowa so much"? I tried to get her to understand that for decades, Iowa has always been the bad guys, the rough ones, see the black singlet, fear the black singlet. Once she got to know the program personally, she took it to a whole different level. My wife, the soft spoken, never yell, stay quiet fan is like that no more. I can't let her see most of the crap on this forum because a lot of you would be cussed out, and she'd start looking to key your car. To her, the coaching staff is Family. ALL of them. And she will defend this program and those men to the very end. I can't tell you how many times we were told that my kid wouldn't fit in here by coaches, other program supporters, wrestlers, and so on. Heck, there were a few of you that may have mentioned the same thing during the recruitment process. Gabe knew he fit here, otherwise he'd be somewhere else.

I still get messages from other program supporters wondering if Gabe would be interested in leaving. I've found, especially now that it's a dog-eat-dog world. Loyalty, it seems is sold to the highest bidder, and that's sad for these kids, even sadder for the sport. But that's just where we are. After being here for almost two years now, knowing what I know, seeing what I've seen, my only regret is not moving here a year earlier than we did.

So yes, the negative recruiting is out there. It's a real thing, and it's probably more rampant that what I know from experience it to be. But I will share this: The entire time this staff was recruiting my son, NEVER did they speak badly about any program.

So that's all the insight you're getting from me for awhile. I'm going back to my voyeur status of watching and laughing about some of the stuff I read on here. I truly believe a few on here missed their true calling of being a stand up comic, or perhaps one of those backyard party clowns we all love so much. But then again, being on here make me realize that I may have missed my true calling of just being a fulltime jerk..... :)
Awesome response. Thanks for taking the time to write a thoughtful response to my question.

Reactions: blcoach80

This is great insight on Gabe Arnolds recruiting. Gabe will win a national title and that alone will help with recrutiing. Put Gabe, Drake, and Ben on the forefront to help recruit! All three are high character kids and true Hawks!

Reactions: eb05 and crazyazn
You have NO idea how badly I wish my son would have taken more after his mother in this area. Like me, he has no filter, speaks his mind, whether you want to hear it or not, and truly believes he's the guy with the wallet that says, "bad MFer" on it. Sadly, he mis-places his wallet all the time, though.....
So you're telling us Gabe is Iowa's Samuel L. Jackson? It's all coming together...

You act like Gabe, Ben, and Angelo are not big recruits. You are a miserable old woman. We have been very successful in the portal and top 5 in the country in recruiting. Ryder is a big recruit as well in my opinion. If we don't lose Nate to the Navy it would have been an all-time recruiting class. Quit your bitchin. I'm with coach Phil. Iowa will a title in the next 4 years. I also think they will be a trophy team every year.
LMAO, youre right. This POS coaching staff has made miserable. Not really. I do enjoy talking wrestling and complaining with other hawk fans... Maybe you are just a little bitch??? You can just block this little old lady if i am to mean for you.... pussy

So you're telling us Gabe is Iowa's Samuel L. Jackson? It's all coming together...
Oh, you have NO idea...... If you recall his first interview, "Welcome to the Gabe Arnold show"? His mom NEVER uses curse words...... she did...... and of course, it was all my fault because he's "just like me". and I wouldn't have this problem if he would have been like me and wanted to be a nerd, sing in the church choir, and do normal extra curricular activities and.........

sorry...... I get a little triggered. I'm a work in progress and the Lord isn't through with me yet.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkeyePA and foxb
I agree it matters who we recruit. I said it before, my opinion would be that Iowa go ALL IN on Bo Bassett just like they did Spencer and re-open that pipeline with Young Guns. The success they had with Spencer, Kem Dawg, Mad Max, and Kaleb Young all from Young Guns could be repeated. You get Bassett and maybe the other Young Guns kids will follow him, such as Melvin Miller, Mario Hutcherson, the younger Bassett brother and more. Try to repeat what you did with Spencer and the crew.
100% and the most influential person in those conversations would be Spencer. We need him to be more involved than just on the mat.

Reactions: Wrestling-04
Authenticity is one of those things that's really hard to fake. TnT are always authentic.
Thanks Phil!
Too many kids and parents aren’t like Phil and Gabe, or Spencer and his parents. They like a good snake oil salesman to kiss their ass constantly and tell them lies they want to believe. Their style of recruitment may be out of style unfortunately. Ask Surriano if he was impressed with the way he was handled at PSU after signing with them, compared to all the smoke they blew up his ass while recruiting him. There is over salesmanship with many of these programs, then throw you under the bus when you get there if you not an immediate star. Extreme loyalty to recruits and coaches may be TnT’s downfall in today’s environment. You have to be willing to constantly be willing to shit on anyone to get ahead, like Cael has done. Us as fans I guess will get to attached to some wrestlers and coaches we like who aren’t panning out like they should have.

I thought you were insinuating he was sour 😂😂
lol I watched that movie right after reading his comment about not bleeding. And it was mentioned several times that, “Lemon doesn’t bleed.” The character in question was a hit man who happened to be black. I was guessing Coach Phil had watched that movie on Netflix as well and was spoofing that scene. Lol

I thought you were insinuating he was sour 😂😂
Wait! So now you’re calling me fat?? What is wrong with you people??? This is why I hate it here. Ya know, fat people have feelings too. I see the code words. Sour = sour grapes. Grapes are round. Phil is round, therefore I’m fat.

I swear sometimes reading this posts is like watching the matrix. I know what’s going on.

Everybody knows…..

Wait! So now you’re calling me fat?? What is wrong with you people??? This is why I hate it here. Ya know, fat people have feelings too. I see the code words. Sour = sour grapes. Grapes are round. Phil is round, therefore I’m fat.

I swear sometimes reading this posts is like watching the matrix. I know what’s going on.

Everybody knows…..
giphy.gif

OSU didn't have a billionaire wrestling donor either until April. Maybe Iowa should form an executive search committee for a willing billionaire donor. I'm not kidding. Plenty of rich people with huge egos.
Speaking of search committees, the firm used by OSU for the DT search was one owned and run by an IOWA alum with a recognizable last name. Great family.

I'll be as transparent as I can. Honestly, I appreciated Tom and Terry's approach more than any other "top" programs that were after my kid. What meant the most were the simple hand written notes that Terry sent via snail mail. Gabe received so much, from so many, it was overwhelming. But here are two story's that stick out the most with these two:

When Terry came to our home for Gabe's visit, it was literally the FIRST day where he could visit. He made it a point to make sure he was the first coach that crossed the door's threshold, and was there early in the morning. When he came in, it literally never felt like a coach visiting, he made himself right at home, ate breakfast with us, played with the dog, and took the required pics with the snake. When he left, my wife asked who he was. I told her to look him up. When she did, she was amazed at his accolades, but more so that he didn't spend any time bragging about them. He set the standard for visits, and I knew why he wanted to be first after all of them were done.

Tom and Morningstar came to Who's number one that year to watch Gabe. I remember it was a nut house after he beat Rocco, with a bunch of coaches trying to get to Gabe and I. When Tom finally got to us, I'll never forget what he said, it was simple and didn't blow smoke or anything like that. His message was clear and to the point, "we want Gabe, like what we saw, he needs to be a Hawkeye"

Those two are the reason Gabe is a Hawkeye. I could tell you all the stories from this year alone that have confirmed over and over again this is the right place for my kid. But they won't matter to most of you. I appreciated all the coaches who took the time to recruit my kid, that came to our home, that called, every last one of them, but NONE impressed us the way this team did or has. Look, I get it, you fans want to be NUMBER 1 and be the best, but as a parent, let me be VERY clear: That is not the priority for my kid. That's a goal for sure, but I want him to be a good person, a better man, and a grateful individual. I know that all those things, and then some, he gets here.

I'm not some homer that dotes on coaches just because. I don't believe in that crap. What I do believe in is trusting the process that was laid out for MY wrestler, and to that extent, I've not been let down in the slightest. OH and unlike a lot of you dim-witted, fair weather fans, I have EVERY confidence that we will get back to the top of the mountain.

And yes, I know some of you are going to rip this apart, but you should know enough about me by now to know that I really don't give a rat's ass....

Just speaking my heart.
Best post of the year. Pin it at the top. Anyone that knows Terry knows he's one good dude. I want to introduce myself next Wednesday morning May 15th if you will be at breakfast?

Reactions: pawrestler4life
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT