ADVERTISEMENT

I’m jealous….

Wait! So now you’re calling me fat?? What is wrong with you people??? This is why I hate it here. Ya know, fat people have feelings too. I see the code words. Sour = sour grapes. Grapes are round. Phil is round, therefore I’m fat.

I swear sometimes reading this posts is like watching the matrix. I know what’s going on.

Everybody knows…..
Mind What GIF by Kinda Funny

Best post of the year. Pin it at the top. Anyone that knows Terry knows he's one good dude. I want to introduce myself next Wednesday morning May 15th if you will be at breakfast?
Wait! There’s food somewhere? Where, when, time, and I’m there.

• Haha
Reactions: el dub
Has it happened? Class of 2024 and 2025 and we've got a total of 2.

2026 - (hey @smalls103 we need an update bro)

We should get Ross and Mocco if they end up in different weights. Not getting the Raneys, Bassett or Forrest.
i just don't think that's in the cards.

both are well over 200 (neither have made 195 in a year) with lean and large frames.

Reactions: Hawkgma
I'll be as transparent as I can. Honestly, I appreciated Tom and Terry's approach more than any other "top" programs that were after my kid. What meant the most were the simple hand written notes that Terry sent via snail mail. Gabe received so much, from so many, it was overwhelming. But here are two story's that stick out the most with these two:

When Terry came to our home for Gabe's visit, it was literally the FIRST day where he could visit. He made it a point to make sure he was the first coach that crossed the door's threshold, and was there early in the morning. When he came in, it literally never felt like a coach visiting, he made himself right at home, ate breakfast with us, played with the dog, and took the required pics with the snake. When he left, my wife asked who he was. I told her to look him up. When she did, she was amazed at his accolades, but more so that he didn't spend any time bragging about them. He set the standard for visits, and I knew why he wanted to be first after all of them were done.

Tom and Morningstar came to Who's number one that year to watch Gabe. I remember it was a nut house after he beat Rocco, with a bunch of coaches trying to get to Gabe and I. When Tom finally got to us, I'll never forget what he said, it was simple and didn't blow smoke or anything like that. His message was clear and to the point, "we want Gabe, like what we saw, he needs to be a Hawkeye"

Those two are the reason Gabe is a Hawkeye. I could tell you all the stories from this year alone that have confirmed over and over again this is the right place for my kid. But they won't matter to most of you. I appreciated all the coaches who took the time to recruit my kid, that came to our home, that called, every last one of them, but NONE impressed us the way this team did or has. Look, I get it, you fans want to be NUMBER 1 and be the best, but as a parent, let me be VERY clear: That is not the priority for my kid. That's a goal for sure, but I want him to be a good person, a better man, and a grateful individual. I know that all those things, and then some, he gets here.

I'm not some homer that dotes on coaches just because. I don't believe in that crap. What I do believe in is trusting the process that was laid out for MY wrestler, and to that extent, I've not been let down in the slightest. OH and unlike a lot of you dim-witted, fair weather fans, I have EVERY confidence that we will get back to the top of the mountain.

And yes, I know some of you are going to rip this apart, but you should know enough about me by now to know that I really don't give a rat's ass....

Just speaking my heart.
THIS ^^ That’s the part most of you don’t see or understand or even don’t care to understand. Everybody wants to be the best, everybody wants to be on top. That’s why we compete. But there’s levels to it. There’s more to life than being a great athlete. But what Tom and Terry do, which I’m sure other coaches do well too, is bring out the best in their athletes in the sport and in life. This is from personal experience on my end too and I’m grateful for that. I’ve seen it firsthand and while I’m anxious as well with the results lately, I’m confident that it’ll change and things will get back to where they need to be.

THIS ^^ That’s the part most of you don’t see or understand or even don’t care to understand. Everybody wants to be the best, everybody wants to be on top. That’s why we compete. But there’s levels to it. There’s more to life than being a great athlete. But what Tom and Terry do, which I’m sure other coaches do well too, is bring out the best in their athletes in the sport and in life. This is from personal experience on my end too and I’m grateful for that. I’ve seen it firsthand and while I’m anxious as well with the results lately, I’m confident that it’ll change and things will get back to where they need to be.
I don't think anyone questions what they bring to the table as men and role models or the level of caring and dedication they have for their athletes. While coach Phil's story is great and the approach used with him was well received it is really just as much a positive reflection of the values of coach Phil and his family to appreciate the more low key approach vs hard press/bad mouth other programs approach. We have head similar feedback with the recruiting of a few others, Spencer being one. Unfortunately the hard press, schmooze, high attention approach is what is now expected by the majority of today's recruits. I don't condone having to bad mouth other programs but like it or not they have to be on recruits early, often and consistent to keep up with the pack. Identifying recruits that have the athletic ability, foot movement and technical skill level to excel in college is also an area that has needed improvement. The brawling hand fighter that scores most of their points by getting a guy tired and getting easy go behinds is going to be limited in college.

Reactions: Trapper85
I am sorta REALLY glad that we got Gabe's Dad... Coach Phil and dont have the nonsense that accompanied a "recent" recruit / HWC wrestler whose Dad made crazy demands and then when all of his demands weren't met by TNT he decided to take his son to Iowa State and it may have been because of other factors but he never signed his Letter so he cast doubts from the start... what a HUGE DIFFERENCE in parenting... and I am not being " That Guy" and naming names....it is just a mystery

I'll be as transparent as I can. Honestly, I appreciated Tom and Terry's approach more than any other "top" programs that were after my kid. What meant the most were the simple hand written notes that Terry sent via snail mail. Gabe received so much, from so many, it was overwhelming. But here are two story's that stick out the most with these two:

When Terry came to our home for Gabe's visit, it was literally the FIRST day where he could visit. He made it a point to make sure he was the first coach that crossed the door's threshold, and was there early in the morning. When he came in, it literally never felt like a coach visiting, he made himself right at home, ate breakfast with us, played with the dog, and took the required pics with the snake. When he left, my wife asked who he was. I told her to look him up. When she did, she was amazed at his accolades, but more so that he didn't spend any time bragging about them. He set the standard for visits, and I knew why he wanted to be first after all of them were done.

Tom and Morningstar came to Who's number one that year to watch Gabe. I remember it was a nut house after he beat Rocco, with a bunch of coaches trying to get to Gabe and I. When Tom finally got to us, I'll never forget what he said, it was simple and didn't blow smoke or anything like that. His message was clear and to the point, "we want Gabe, like what we saw, he needs to be a Hawkeye"

Those two are the reason Gabe is a Hawkeye. I could tell you all the stories from this year alone that have confirmed over and over again this is the right place for my kid. But they won't matter to most of you. I appreciated all the coaches who took the time to recruit my kid, that came to our home, that called, every last one of them, but NONE impressed us the way this team did or has. Look, I get it, you fans want to be NUMBER 1 and be the best, but as a parent, let me be VERY clear: That is not the priority for my kid. That's a goal for sure, but I want him to be a good person, a better man, and a grateful individual. I know that all those things, and then some, he gets here.

I'm not some homer that dotes on coaches just because. I don't believe in that crap. What I do believe in is trusting the process that was laid out for MY wrestler, and to that extent, I've not been let down in the slightest. OH and unlike a lot of you dim-witted, fair weather fans, I have EVERY confidence that we will get back to the top of the mountain.

And yes, I know some of you are going to rip this apart, but you should know enough about me by now to know that I really don't give a rat's ass....

Just speaking my heart.
Out of all the posts in this thread - this is all I need to know. Appreciate you sharing your experience. Thank you!

I interpreted him as saying there was a time HE was interested, not THEY were interested.
That's the point I'm making. He's been saying that on here for a couple few years now, but if he was truly that interested did he ever actually talk to anyone at Iowa about it?

I want to know if he was proactive and pursued it or just rambled on about the possibility on message forums.

I am sorta REALLY glad that we got Gabe's Dad... Coach Phil and dont have the nonsense that accompanied a "recent" recruit / HWC wrestler whose Dad made crazy demands and then when all of his demands weren't met by TNT he decided to take his son to Iowa State and it may have been because of other factors but he never signed his Letter so he cast doubts from the start... what a HUGE DIFFERENCE in parenting... and I am not being " That Guy" and naming names....it is just a mystery
His "demands" that weren't met mostly included "don't bring in the deadbeat thug brothers who physically assaulted my son in high school before they were expelled from the school". LOL.

That's the point I'm making. He's been saying that on here for a couple few years now, but if he was truly that interested did he ever actually talk to anyone at Iowa about it?

I want to know if he was proactive and pursued it or just rambled on about the possibility on message forums.
I also think he was talking in general, not Iowa specifically, but D1 wrestling schools.

The best thing here is now everyone is playing PSU’s game. They started it and everyone else was forced to jump in. At least DT is making the money as a coach/recruiter to bring in his team. The days when a player makes more than the head of the team are hopefully eliminated
Ummm...IOWA started this game back in the late 70s with Carver's money. Then OKState ponied up $250K for John Smith. How soon thouest forgettest.

You could make a case for Doc Nichols' generosity to his guys prior to Carver.

I have news for you, and you can trust me on this one. 24mil to build a facility like this is NOT a lot of money! I am surprised what they were able to get done with only 24mil.
I will try and send a vague picture of the job Im on right now, long island NY.
The cost is 8mil and lets just say is a fraction of what they have done in IOWA.
A fraction being 1/3 in this case?

• Haha
Reactions: el dub
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT