ADVERTISEMENT

If Fran and company could get .......

GunnerHawk

HR All-American
Mar 16, 2014
commitments from Huerter, Moore and Rakocevic to go along with Pemsyl would that class make everyone happy?

I like Huerter's overall game, Moore is very quick and can stroke it, I think Rak can be a very good inside-outside player.

Thoughts?

I think that would make a very solid class and one that is very possible..If Huerter decides to stay out East, Santos would be a great get.

Don't get me wrong, I like Huerter's game, but i'm hoping for Moore and two of Rakocevic/Ivanauskas/Santos. Get more tall, long, lanky combo forwards.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

I would really like to see another true big to go along with Pemsl. I mean with that proposed class, we'd have 4 6'9 guys on the roster, but only two of who would be over ~210 lbs. I totally understand Fran wanting to find lean and athletic, but we'd be looking at a team that looked like Davidson this year. Almost too small for the B1G.

I see what you're saying Stormhawk42, but Fran's recruiting seems to indicate that he's going for a PG, wing, and 4-5 type player to go with Pemsl, a smaller in the middle, wing-oriented type team than we've had the last couple if years. Rakocevic is lighter than I'd like now too, but he has the frame to fill out. Cook and Ward are an inch or 2 shorter, much stronger at this point but, of course, much more pursued. What I'm hearing you say then, is that, out of the guys offered, you'd prefer Potter to Rakocevic? Based on what Fran seems to want, I'd take the OP's class for 2016.

Originally posted by CanadaHawk:
I see what you're saying Stormhawk42, but Fran's recruiting seems to indicate that he's going for a PG, wing, and 4-5 type player to go with Pemsl, a smaller in the middle, wing-oriented type team than we've had the last couple if years. Rakocevic is lighter than I'd like now too, but he has the frame to fill out. Cook and Ward are an inch or 2 shorter, much stronger at this point but, of course, much more pursued. What I'm hearing you say then, is that, out of the guys offered, you'd prefer Potter to Rakocevic? Based on what Fran seems to want, I'd take the OP's class for 2016.
Tough to say. I've only seen one video on Potter. He does have good offers though so he's no slouch. It just seems like we'd be at a disadvantage trying to post up Pemsl against Haas for example. Top of my list is Cook though. I'll take him over everyone else listed. Probably a pipe dream though.

Moore/Rackovic/ Brunk or Cook would be ideal imo. I like Huerter but with Connor also coming in I think we are OK on wings. We need a play making PG., NR to take over JU's role as the big long scoring 3, and some athletic beef to control the paint.

My thoughts. I wish I knew more about basketball. More to the point I wish I could get into McCaffery's head for five minutes to find out what the plan is for 2016/17 and further down the road. Better still, if I could just watch three or four hypothetical games from 2016/17 with a very small Iowa team vs. some of these massive war machines being built around the league. Maybe I'd feel better.

Because honestly I trust McCaffery but my faith is being tested. And I want to believe there is a devious system, style, like up to five men out and movement that will confound and wear out opposing post players, cause them to lather and break down like a horse run hard in the desert! Is that what we're planning?

In 2014/15 we won a lot of basketball games but only some of the hockey games that just happened to occur way too often in the most physical season of Big Ten basketball that I can recall.

And from what I can tell the race is on for teams to get bigger and meaner than ever:

Isaac Haas: 7'2" 297
Diamond Stone: 6'10" 255
Daniel Giddens: 6'10" 250
Caleb Swanigan: 6'9" 280

And by my estimation, leaving out the big stiffs that probably won't play, another twelve or so players around 240 or bigger.

And as things stand in 2016/17 we've got 6'8" 230 Cordell Pemsl, and looks like guys 220 or smaller. It is going to be tough enough this season with Woody! Next year?

So I find myself hoping we sign Cook, 6'9 250 and one of at least three other guys we're recruiting that are 230 or bigger.

But then I wonder, what am I missing? Is there something else that will work. In another post I mentioned that athletic guys can still front a bigger player...and that is true. And I LOVED what another poster said, essentially make "them" match up to us for a change.

If there is a fast break, press, outside shooting and crash the boards smaller team in our future...I guess I've got just enough belief that we won't get the snot physically beat out of us. Besides, I'm kinda sick and tired of watching our bigs get called for fouls.

But I would still feel better with a guy or two like Cook. Can't help it.

Point guard, best we can get, and two bigs...big bigs.

We will be lucky if we get one of those. They will all have a lot of high major offers. They are who we are hearing about now but none of them has publicly said we are in thw lead foe them. As a avid iowa basketball fan, I will be happy with one, ecstatic about two and floored if we get all three.

I think we are going to look more like Villanova or VCU in the future. A lot of 6'4" to 6'8" athletes on the floor. Fran likes guys that are long and he wants guys who can RUN. We have never been able to run the way he wants. You can't do that with a big plodder. Get into the double bonus and drive to the hoop.

Originally posted by DanL53:

My thoughts. I wish I knew more about basketball. More to the point I wish I could get into McCaffery's head for five minutes to find out what the plan is for 2016/17 and further down the road. Better still, if I could just watch three or four hypothetical games from 2016/17 with a very small Iowa team vs. some of these massive war machines being built around the league. Maybe I'd feel better.

Because honestly I trust McCaffery but my faith is being tested. And I want to believe there is a devious system, style, like up to five men out and movement that will confound and wear out opposing post players, cause them to lather and break down like a horse run hard in the desert! Is that what we're planning?

In 2014/15 we won a lot of basketball games but only some of the hockey games that just happened to occur way too often in the most physical season of Big Ten basketball that I can recall.

And from what I can tell the race is on for teams to get bigger and meaner than ever:

Isaac Haas: 7'2" 297
Diamond Stone: 6'10" 255
Daniel Giddens: 6'10" 250
Caleb Swanigan: 6'9" 280

And by my estimation, leaving out the big stiffs that probably won't play, another twelve or so players around 240 or bigger.

And as things stand in 2016/17 we've got 6'8" 230 Cordell Pemsl, and looks like guys 220 or smaller. It is going to be tough enough this season with Woody! Next year?

So I find myself hoping we sign Cook, 6'9 250 and one of at least three other guys we're recruiting that are 230 or bigger.

But then I wonder, what am I missing? Is there something else that will work. In another post I mentioned that athletic guys can still front a bigger player...and that is true. And I LOVED what another poster said, essentially make "them" match up to us for a change.

If there is a fast break, press, outside shooting and crash the boards smaller team in our future...I guess I've got just enough belief that we won't get the snot physically beat out of us. Besides, I'm kinda sick and tired of watching our bigs get called for fouls.

But I would still feel better with a guy or two like Cook. Can't help it.

Point guard, best we can get, and two bigs...big bigs.
I completely agree with this. I don't know how we can compete against the brutes without a couple of brutes of our own. Maybe if Pemsl grows and inch or two and the coaches can convince him that he is not a 3, he could be one of our interior players, but we need at least one more player (Cook would be great), who won't get pushed around near the basket.

I really liked Heuter's tape, but he seems much like the players already committed who could play PG. I won't be disappointed to get him, but the bigger need might be a quick playmaker, who can play great on-ball defense.

I like Fran's preference to have long athletic players, who can play multiple positions, but you still need to have the ability to match up with BIG bigs and ultra-quick guards, which many of the other top teams will have on the court.

Originally posted by GunnerHawk:

commitments from Huerter, Moore and Rakocevic to go along with Pemsl would that class make everyone happy?

I like Huerter's overall game, Moore is very quick and can stroke it, I think Rak can be a very good inside-outside player.

Thoughts?
I like this class in that I think that would be 1 Top 150 (Pemsl), and probably 2 Top 100 players (Huerter and Rakocevic). I'm with Dan though. I don't necessarily share the confidence that we could put one 230 pounder on the court against MSU, Wisconsin, Purdue, Ohio State, etc. The good news though is Stone, Swanigan, and possibly Giddens could be done at the same time Woody is, with 1 and done seasons.
3dsmile.r191677.gif
The bad news is Ryan, Painter, Izzo, etc will always have physical Big's.

I think Huerter wants to play PG, although he said 2G would be alright if that's where coach wants him. Would he take Huerter and Moore in the same class (assuming 1 or 2 of our 2015 class can play PG)?

One wild card in this talk about bigs is Jones. Fran must think he's big enough to play 4-5. I've heard 6'8"/225lbs on him now but also that he's grown several inches since HS. If he's actually just a little bigger than that now, say 6'9"/230, with the ability to put on another 5-10, you've got someone who could defend most college posts and take them outside on the offensive end. I know this is very speculative but just trying to make sense of Fran's recruiting strategy in light of obvious concerns about bigs.

Originally posted by CanadaHawk:
One wild card in this talk about bigs is Jones. Fran must think he's big enough to play 4-5. I've heard 6'8"/225lbs on him now but also that he's grown several inches since HS. If he's actually just a little bigger than that now, say 6'9"/230, with the ability to put on another 5-10, you've got someone who could defend most college posts and take them outside on the offensive end. I know this is very speculative but just trying to make sense of Fran's recruiting strategy in light of obvious concerns about bigs.
Jones is listed everywhere as 6'8", 220. I doubt at 21 (he's in his 3rd year) that he is going to get taller, but he might put on some weight once he gets to Iowa's training table.

Packer, not sure Iowa was working that hard to get this kid.

Definitely a good get for NW.

Originally posted by packerHawk76:
That is another good recruiting win for NW.

Disappointing for this iowa fan

I don't follow recruiting enough to know anything about that player but I do think that Collins continues to get things done at Northwestern. No way they stay as one of the also rans of the conference.

We had offered him a scholly, but between him and Rakocevic, I think we were definitely putting more focus on Rakocevic. FWIW, I remember combes saying something to the effect that he thought Rap was going to be a better get than Rakocevic. But who really knows at this point?

Originally posted by StormHawk42:
We had offered him a scholly, but between him and Rakocevic, I think we were definitely putting more focus on Rakocevic. FWIW, I remember combes saying something to the effect that he thought Rap was going to be a better get than Rakocevic. But who really knows at this point?
I think it was theHawkeyeDudeAbides that was saying he'd like Rap over Rakocevic.

Possible Recruits

Originally posted by seer_hawk:

Originally posted by StormHawk42:
I think it was theHawkeyeDudeAbides that was saying he'd like Rap over Rakocevic.
seer_ Hawk... Yes, I did say that I preferred Rapolas over Rakocevic. The news that Rapolas chose Northwestern is not surprising given Collins efforts to make Northwestern a decent club. Rapolas is going to need to grow into his body but between Victor Law and Rap, Northwestern is well on its way to being very good in the near future.

While Rakocevic is a higher profile (media wise) recruit, I am not as pleased with Rakocevic's ability to jump (Woodenbury's vertical) or block out. Rak has always been a big kid but never dominate like I would have hoped. I could be very wrong but Woodenbury aggravates me to no end. Rakocevic could be another Woodenbury. Time will tell.

I really want to see Iowa land Tyler Cook. Cook and Pemsl big size in the paint and warriors on the glass. I am not so enamored with Charlie Moore yet I know Fran needs a very good PG. Hoping Micah Bradford comes on strong this summer as he is a clutch shooting PG who is around 6'1" and is almost as fast as Charlie Moore. I think Charlie is a small 5'8" PG and smaller than Tyler Ulis. Ulis is still far better , IMO. Charlie is a very good player but I think Iowa can do better.

Santos needs to show he can stay healthy. If Iowa land Cook, this class will be top 30 material. Cook is a key recruit to this class. And remember this name for 2017 Jordan Goodwin. Special player.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT