ADVERTISEMENT

If you want to know what the players go through after a loss.

TC_Hawk

HR All-State
Oct 15, 2004
Saturday sucked! I think we can all agree on that. As usual, the boards have been filled with apocalyptic posts about our QB, our coaches, the offensive line, and the offense as a whole. I get it. Most of us feel horrible about losses, and some react with anger. However, I listened to a podcast this morning that I think a lot of you would like, if you don't already listen. Its called Washed Up Walkons, and it is done by 3 players who have recently graduated. Tyler Kluver, Drake Kulick, and Kevin Ward. It's one of my weekly podcasts that I listen to, along with Tom's of course. They are extremely entertaining, if you don't get offended easily. lol This week they went, in depth, about the process that the team goes through, and how the players deal with a loss like this. It's only 30-45 min long and definitely worth the listen.

Saturday sucked! I think we can all agree on that. As usual, the boards have been filled with apocalyptic posts about our QB, our coaches, the offensive line, and the offense as a whole. I get it. Most of us feel horrible about losses, and some react with anger. However, I listened to a podcast this morning that I think a lot of you would like, if you don't already listen. Its called Washed Up Walkons, and it is done by 3 players who have recently graduated. Tyler Kluver, Drake Kulick, and Kevin Ward. It's one of my weekly podcasts that I listen to, along with Tom's of course. They are extremely entertaining, if you don't get offended easily. lol This week they went, in depth, about the process that the team goes through, and how the players deal with a loss like this. It's only 30-45 min long and definitely worth the listen.
Link?

Reactions: FlickShagwell
Thanks TC. Unfortunately, a lot of the people who go off the deep end on here after a loss, really don't give a damn what the players or coaches go through. They just need to release their venom, so they don't poison themselves from the inside.....

Well those guys are entitled to their opinions and they are as valid as any of ours. Sure they played college ball and have more insight than 99% of the rest of us but what is their excuse for a staff that made 0 adjustments? As a player I would be pissed that my coaches opted to change nothing in the second half and squandered another tremendous defensive effort.

Does Wisconsin have that much better talent than Iowa? Are we less-talented than Army? When Ferentz retires and they build a statute of him in front of Kinnick, they better have 2 spots for Norm and Phil Parker because their defenses have covered up some brutally bad offenses minus seasons with Banks, Tate and Beathard (all 3 mobile QB's).

Last edited:
Well those guys are entitled to their opinions and they are as valid as any of ours. Sure they played college ball and have more insight than 99% of the rest of us but what is their excuse for a staff that made 0 adjustments? As a player I would be pissed that my coaches opted to change nothing in the second half and squandered another tremendous defensive effort.

Does Wisconsin have that much better talent than Iowa? Are we less-talented than Navy? When Ferentz retires and they build a statute of him in front of Kinnick, they better have 2 spots for Norm and Phil Parker because their defenses have covered up some brutally bad offenses minus seasons with Banks, Tate and Beathard (all 3 mobile QB's).
I assume you mean less talent then Army....

Reactions: 24 so far
I don’t think anyone thought the players/coaches wouldn’t be pissed after Saturday’s loss. Tough film session (offensively) on Sunday I’m assuming. I’d doubt the coaches meetings on Sunday were much fun either. Losing sucks.

The hope is they get a lot better from this and make adjustments

Thanks TC. Unfortunately, a lot of the people who go off the deep end on here after a loss, really don't give a damn what the players or coaches go through. They just need to release their venom, so they don't poison themselves from the inside.....
I don't understand (and never will understand) going after the players. The coaches are paid extremely well to take responsibility for and handle criticism (and they will even admit that), but a college kid should not have to put up with that BS. That is why KF's policy, with regards to Twitter, makes so much sense and is so necessary.

Does Wisconsin have that much better talent than Iowa? Are we less-talented than Navy? When Ferentz retires and they build a statute of him in front of Kinnick, they better have 2 spots for Norm and Phil Parker because their defenses have covered up some brutally bad offenses minus seasons with Banks, Tate and Beathard (all 3 mobile QB's).
I guarantee you 95% of fans wouldn't be able to recognize said adjustments without the announcers telling it to them.

Iowa did adjust. It just so happened that Michigan did too, and hats off to them.

I guarantee you 95% of fans wouldn't be able to recognize said adjustments without the announcers telling it to them.

Iowa did adjust. It just so happened that Michigan did too, and hats off to them.

Maybe so. What adjustments did you see? Did Stanley roll out? Did the O-Line ever adjust to Michigan's unbalanced D-Line? I saw Stanley dropping back in a nonexistent pocket and running for his life for 4 quarters. Everyone is so quick to give the D Coordinator for Michigan credit but I am pretty sure BF is paid handsomely to run the offense at Iowa. I would hate to be in a sinking boat with KF and BF. They would both stare at the buckets as the water level continued to rise vs. bailing it out of the boat.

As a player I would be pissed that my coaches opted to change nothing in the second half and squandered another tremendous defensive effort.
If you were a player, you probably wouldn't be thinking that.

Though I'm sure you blame your coaches for whatever shortcomings you or your teams suffered at whatever level of athletics you played in.

Also, this entire post is rhetorical, so don't bother trying to explain your own personal experiences to justify what you said above.

giphy.gif

Reactions: millah_22
When did Don Brown become the Yoda of defensive schemes? Shocker, against Iowa. WI ran all over Michigan. Army had 21 against Michigan. Iowa had 3 points and 1 rushing yard. You can spin it however you like and that is your choice, but that was a poor coaching job by everyone involved with the offense. Let's keep doing what has not worked for 1, 2, 3, quarters.

I don’t think anyone thought the players/coaches wouldn’t be pissed after Saturday’s loss. Tough film session (offensively) on Sunday I’m assuming. I’d doubt the coaches meetings on Sunday were much fun either. Losing sucks.

The hope is they get a lot better from this and make adjustments
The problem is, and this is where our season usually derails a bit from championship contender to 8-win season contender........once we hit a certain portion of conference play against teams that know how to scheme against KF and Co., our offense looks like a bunch of Class A high school freshmen going up against Dowling, at least for that stretch of games that knocks us out of title contention...................But then we right the ship and get a few wins, maybe even an upset and get back to that 7 or 8 win plateau and a nice little bowl bid with the potential to get one more decent win on an otherwise missed opportunity of a season! :)

It's almost as annual as the Fran McCaffrey late-season slump.

When did Don Brown become the Yoda of defensive schemes? Shocker, against Iowa. WI ran all over Michigan. Army had 21 against Michigan. Iowa had 3 points and 1 rushing yard. You can spin it however you like and that is your choice, but that was a poor coaching job by everyone involved with the offense. Let's keep doing what has not worked for 1, 2, 3, quarters.
Well on the bright side, we did outgain Michigan despite rushing for 1 yard........

When you put 3 on the board, have 4 TO's (including the first snap!), get sacked 8 times, have 8 penalties and record one (1) yard of rushing, you will get some criticism. This is big time college FB, it comes with the territory.

I get the argument that "fans don't know what they are talking about". As far as the minutiae of the game is concerned that is 100% correct. However, I know that your QB getting his ass kicked for 8 sacks when you have supposedly two (2) 1st-2nd RD draft picks at either tackle is not what is supposed to happen.

I will direct my criticism at the adult coaches that are getting paid a TON of money. That was a horrendous offensively display Sat. I cannot recall another Iowa game in the past 15 years that bad. With that said, I chalk it up as an aberation and we will see what happens this Sat. I think a lot of fans are just tired of this team not showing up when it matters. I saw a stat today that Iowa is 15-5 last 10 games, but 10-10 in B1G games.

Stop. Just stop.

We moved the ball. We moved into UM territory a bunch. However, we weren't able to sustain it. We had problems on the OL that we probably didn't anticipate. Our top 2 guards were out by the end of the game & starting OT looked rusty & maybe a little dinged still. We had OL communication breakdowns. We had a RB that has been lights out in pass protection miss some blocks that he hasn't missed in a year and a half. We probably called a play or 2 we'd like to have back. Stanley missed 2 or 3 throws that were makeable. The RB's left some yardage on the field. The refs missed a hold on OM that would have resulted in First & Goal from the 2. We had several players with the ball in open space not win their 1 on 1 matchup for extra yardage or a big play...We had untimely penalties due to breakdowns in our fundamentals. UM fumbled twice while surrounded by Hawkeyes, but got them both back..........Michigan got a couple defensive pieces back they'd been missing...

When you put 3 on the board, have 4 TO's (including the first snap!), get sacked 8 times, have 8 penalties and record one (1) yard of rushing, you will get some criticism. This is big time college FB, it comes with the territory.

I get the argument that "fans don't know what they are talking about". As far as the minutiae of the game is concerned that is 100% correct. However, I know that your QB getting his ass kicked for 8 sacks when you have supposedly two (2) 1st-2nd RD draft picks at either tackle is not what is supposed to happen.

I will direct my criticism at the adult coaches that are getting paid a TON of money. That was a horrendous offensively display Sat. I cannot recall another Iowa game in the past 15 years that bad. With that said, I chalk it up as an aberation and we will see what happens this Sat. I think a lot of fans are just tired of this team not showing up when it matters. I saw a stat today that Iowa is 15-5 last 10 games, but 10-10 in B1G games.

You can't? There was one 2 years ago that was considerably worse. I can think of 8 that were worse without even google searching...

The problem is, and this is where our season usually derails a bit from championship contender to 8-win season contender........once we hit a certain portion of conference play against teams that know how to scheme against KF and Co., our offense looks like a bunch of Class A high school freshmen going up against Dowling, at least for that stretch of games that knocks us out of title contention...................But then we right the ship and get a few wins, maybe even an upset and get back to that 7 or 8 win plateau and a nice little bowl bid with the potential to get one more decent win on an otherwise missed opportunity of a season! :)

It's almost as annual as the Fran McCaffrey late-season slump.

Oh I know. There was just hope that won’t happen again

Thanks TC, I hadn't listed to Washed Up Walkons in a while but that was a good one. Three recent former players still in their 20s so the language can get a little rough, but their info and emotion is still current and genuine.

Tough for players to go to the football complex and look at film after a loss, have their mistakes pointed out, but they will learn.

You have a very short memory. Iowa @ Wisconsin 2 years ago.

Stanley- 8/24- 41 yards
Team Rushing- 25 carries for 34 net yards.

You have a very short memory. Iowa @ Wisconsin 2 years ago.

Stanley- 8/24- 41 yards
Team Rushing- 25 carries for 34 net yards.
I'm sure there are others, but those are things that are supposed to be in the rear view mirror when you have a 3rd year Senior Starting QB and an OC who is supposed to improve as he acclimated to the job. Not to mention 2 tackles that are NFL bound supposedly, Junior skill players all over the place, etc.

You shouldn't want to vomit after a game Home or Away with those facts.

Yes, Wisconsin has that much more talent than us. And yes, it appears we aren't as talented on offense as Army either. This new depth chart tells me we played great last Saturday...........sweet personnel changes. Sweet.

Stop. Just stop.

We moved the ball. We moved into UM territory a bunch. However, we weren't able to sustain it. We had problems on the OL that we probably didn't anticipate. Our top 2 guards were out by the end of the game & starting OT looked rusty & maybe a little dinged still. We had OL communication breakdowns. We had a RB that has been lights out in pass protection miss some blocks that he hasn't missed in a year and a half. We probably called a play or 2 we'd like to have back. Stanley missed 2 or 3 throws that were makeable. The RB's left some yardage on the field. The refs missed a hold on OM that would have resulted in First & Goal from the 2. We had several players with the ball in open space not win their 1 on 1 matchup for extra yardage or a big play...We had untimely penalties due to breakdowns in our fundamentals. UM fumbled twice while surrounded by Hawkeyes, but got them both back..........Michigan got a couple defensive pieces back they'd been missing...

Stop. Just stop with pathetic excuses

Well on the bright side, we did outgain Michigan despite rushing for 1 yard........

Actually, I believe it was really close, but I read Michigan had 267 yards and Iowa 261, FWIW. Of course, without Iowa's running game, the Hawkeyes would have only managed 260. :rolleyes:

I fully expect PSU will feel the wrath of the Michigan loss. The staff and players will make adjustments.

Pretty sure I would recognize the guards not instantly doubling the A gap player.

Reactions: onionman1
Yes, Wisconsin has that much more talent than us. And yes, it appears we aren't as talented on offense as Army either. This new depth chart tells me we played great last Saturday...........sweet personnel changes. Sweet.
and I guess you probably think app st is better than clemson, ay?
after all they beat unc by more than clemson, so clearly they are superior....

Too bad, powder puffs. Try wrestling. Nobody to blame but yourself.

Don’t suck and embarrass a fan base then. Only the secondary didn’t suck. Who’s paying their tuition? Get a pair, you played football. Brian should apologize to everyone for not knowing enough to change protection. Was there not any person besides the fans that couldn’t figure that out? Stubbornness runs in that family...hard.

Reactions: mstp1992
I sat about 15 rows behind the Iowa bench on Saturday. There were frustrated players on the sideline.

I just don’t understand how you do not prepare for zone blitzes and man blitzes? Don Brown has done both in his time. Michigan Fans were screaming around us to cover the middle. Iowa WRs were open across the middle. What do we do try and pass it on the outside?

Iowa actually had the ball across the 50 a lot but everything would fall apart. Just a horrible game called by BF. Hope he learned something and gets the team prepared. If that same offense shows up, Iowa will get smoked on Saturday night. This defense is better than MICH!

Reactions: mstp1992
Maybe so. What adjustments did you see? Did Stanley roll out? Did the O-Line ever adjust to Michigan's unbalanced D-Line? I saw Stanley dropping back in a nonexistent pocket and running for his life for 4 quarters. Everyone is so quick to give the D Coordinator for Michigan credit but I am pretty sure BF is paid handsomely to run the offense at Iowa. I would hate to be in a sinking boat with KF and BF. They would both stare at the buckets as the water level continued to rise vs. bailing it out of the boat.

good grief man. just admit you hate the staff and move on. It would be easier. Michigan's offense performed about exactly the same as Iowa, the only difference in the game being the ball was fumbled 3 times on Saturday and Michigan recovered all of them.

Yes, Iowa made adjustments. Goodson got involved in the passing game. They want max protect sometimes (no one got open). 6 different times Iowa got inside the Michigan 40-yard line and came away with exactly 3 points. That is very bad execution and poor coaching/play-calling. Michigan's offense the whole game consisted of recovering a fumble at the Iowa 18, going nowhere and kicking a FG, then catching a 51-yard jump ball with their huge receiver over Iowa's corner that led to a TD.

The Iowa offense has change a lot in the last few years. Is it going to be good enough to win? I don't know. if they are as bad against PSU and Wisconsin as against Michigan, it's right to call for changes. If you can't be competent on offense against good teams with two NFL tackles and a third-year starting QB, then it's a problem with scheme and coaching.

Reactions: grayhair81
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT