ADVERTISEMENT

IndyStar article on verbal attacks on Caitlin Clark

Journalism has deteriorated to this. Gregg Doyel must sit in his office and simply type (key) words. This article is nothing more, and nothing less, than rambling nonsense. It is not informing (and not informed), nor is it entertaining. The Indianapolis Star should retract every word, what rubbish.

I got subscription first but then opened in incognito and it worked

Swoopes also declared that Clark should be better than the other players because she's 25 years old. Caitlln is 22, I believe. Frankly, I worry about Clark's well being once she gets to the WNBA. Seems to be a lot of backlash to her game, racism or not.

haters know GIF

Indy looks like a great fit... Smith/Samuelson rim running, Kelsey Michell rather than Gabby as 2nd 3 point shooter. Boston Posting up and Pick and Roll... They have the players and skiilset to play the type of game Clark plays. Sides is a defensive coach who claims to want to play fast and wear people down. They average 81 Points per game, good for 7th in the WNBA

It is like when Bird came into the league. Most blacks did not think he was that good, and that they would expose him. Turned out he was, and they all quickly shut up and respected his game (except for Isaiah Thomas, with his comment later on, but he was a douche bag and most players in the league did not like him anyway.) Caitlin is sort of in the same boat and could get the same treatment. I’m not too worried about how she’ll handle it. Probably just like Bird, where she will let her game do the talking. Most of that is borne of arrogance, envy and jealousy. I don’t think it is really racism, more of an attitude that a white player just can’t be that good.

Correct. It's what I believe. Staley has a pretty robust history of screaming racism at everything, so I don't think it's a stretch to believe she resents all the love CC is getting and believes much of it is because she's white.
She put words in Lisa Bluders mouth, which were absolutely not true. It was a very despicable thing to do, to a coach that has had nothing but positive things said about her and not an ounce of controversy.

It is like when Bird came into the league. Most blacks did not think he was that good, and that they would expose him. Turned out he was, and they all quickly shut up and respected his game (except for Isaiah Thomas, with his comment later on, but he was a douche bag and most players in the league did not like him anyway.) Caitlin is sort of in the same boat and could get the same treatment. I’m not too worried about how she’ll handle it. Probably just like Bird, where she will let her game do the talking. Most of that is borne of arrogance, envy and jealousy. I don’t think it is really racism, more of an attitude that a white player just can’t be that good.
For a moment I thought you were talking about Sue Bird.

I saw a headline in the IndyStar about the attacks on CC not being racist and it's probably best I didn't read. There is absolutely a racial aspect to the disdain for CC being expressed by Swoopes and Staley.
I mean Staley could also just be petty about Iowa beating South Carolina. Swoopes just seems entirely out of the loop on Clark. Like she read some poorly written and researched notes on what Clark has done in the past 3+ years. That one is so weird to me.

Reactions: cmhawks99
I mean Staley could also just be petty about Iowa beating South Carolina. Swoopes just seems entirely out of the loop on Clark. Like she read some poorly written and researched notes on what Clark has done in the past 3+ years. That one is so weird to me.
Swoops could be angry that Clark set the tourney record for points with one more game. Its a bit shocking that she is that unaware of both covid rules and Clarks status considering that she earnes at least part of her living calling WBB games. That said, I think she calls some games as an analyst, so I would expect her to be more up to speed. Is this the same Shimmy Gray-Miller?

In July 2017, Swoopes returned to her alma mater, Texas Tech, hired as the women's basketball program's Director of Player Development, where her job included resuming work as broadcast color analysis for Lady Raiders games.[39] Following the firing of head coach Candi Whitaker on January 1, 2018, Swoopes was promoted to regular assistant coach under interim head coach Shimmy Gray-Miller.[40][41]

D
Swoops could be angry that Clark set the tourney record for points with one more game. Its a bit shocking that she is that unaware of both covid rules and Clarks status considering that she earnes at least part of her living calling WBB games. That said, I think she calls some games as an analyst, so I would expect her to be more up to speed. Is this the same Shimmy Gray-Miller?

In July 2017, Swoopes returned to her alma mater, Texas Tech, hired as the women's basketball program's Director of Player Development, where her job included resuming work as broadcast color analysis for Lady Raiders games.[39] Following the firing of head coach Candi Whitaker on January 1, 2018, Swoopes was promoted to regular assistant coach under interim head coach Shimmy Gray-Miller.[40][41]
It turns out its a different Shimmy Gray-Miller

She also had most of her team quit on her a few years ago at Loyola.

It's America. If someone gets to many accolades some find it important to attack them.

It's what we do. :confused:

I think it may be human nature🤷‍♂️ that’s why we have to work hard to keep it under check always….and I don’t mean government. I mean us, individually.

Of course Jesus Christ helps for me. As anyone can see I have a great ability to be naturally shitty…. that’s not my MO in real life, but I’ve had to work hard to overcome my own human nature. I’m 53, I’m closer to being the kind of human being, I’d like to be, but I’m not there yet…..🤫

Last edited:
In the past couple of months, I watched Thomas on a show and came away thinking he wasn’t very bright.

She put words in Lisa Bluders mouth, which were absolutely not true. It was a very despicable thing to do, to a coach that has had nothing but positive things said about her and not an ounce of controversy.

Lisa Bluder, even more than Caitlyn (who’s still a kid of course & impressive) is extremely gracious, real and kind. Even emotional Kirk, and passionate Fran are decent human beings I believe. They can be contentious & surly and catty.

But Lisa is an absolute breath of fresh air in the coaching industry. She appears to never have a harsh agenda. Now to be fair. I have only seen her much the last couple years and things have been pretty good for them, and I don’t know how she’s acted in the past when they’ve been questioned because they have been…

But she seems like as straightforward and pleasant person as you could ever want to be your head coach….

She doesn’t wade into battles, she doesn’t even address silliness like Staley being pissy, she says kind things and moves on.

Yes, like from out in left field weird… she’s really never ever been on the radar before for saying outlandish things🤷‍♂️

At least in my memory. Which doesn’t hold onto useless information like it used to, so there’s that 😂

Interestingly enough, I’m not near as petty as I used to be either… May or may not go hand-in-hand, 🤔

Not sure…

Journalism has deteriorated to this. Gregg Doyel must sit in his office and simply type (key) words. This article is nothing more, and nothing less, than rambling nonsense. It is not informing (and not informed), nor is it entertaining. The Indianapolis Star should retract every word, what rubbish.
Gregg Doyle is straight rubbish.

PS…. after finally reading that article, I’m not quite sure what our Umbrage is?

If it’s because he waved off the racist element…I get his point. I mean, honestly at the root of it is pride and petty jealousy and the black women may have extra frustration because they felt slighted because of race… Both points can be in the same vein.

I thought the article was fine. Not necessarily enlightening or even new, but his thoughts were valid. For me, it’s like when MJ came back to the NBA. I really didn’t care that much for him before he left, but when he came back, I tried to never miss watching him play if it was reasonable… He was the game as far as I’m concerned. I’ve never watched the same level of NBA basketball since he retired.

This girl is “that”!

I would speculate some of it is racism. Hell, your last sentence is the definition of racism.

Correct. It's what I believe. Staley has a pretty robust history of screaming racism at everything, so I don't think it's a stretch to believe she resents all the love CC is getting and believes much of it is because she's white.
Fine. But not “absolute”.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT