ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa Baseball @ B1G Tournament

Is the Final really a one-game deal? Seems kind of screwy to not carry the double elimination rule all the way through the Finals. Especially, when you consider that Iowa already beat Ohio State once.

I suppose if that's the case the only thing to do is to just win the whole thing and never have to worry about it. ;)

Is the Final really a one-game deal? Seems kind of screwy to not carry the double elimination rule all the way through the Finals. Especially, when you consider that Iowa already beat Ohio State once.

I suppose if that's the case the only thing to do is to just win the whole thing and never have to worry about it. ;)
Word.

Reactions: Old_wrestling_fan
Ohio State beats Michigan State 3-2 in 10 innings, so they play again at 9am. Iowa will play the winner.

I really am not sure who I want to win. MSU has been hot this tournament, but OSU has been hot down the stretch this season. OSU has the bats that make you fear facing them. They have power, but they have good pitching all around. MSU has the really good back end guys as well if you don't get them early.

Iowa will have it's hands full no matter what.

But this is at least the best case scenario for the Hawks, as both teams will have a very depleted, tired, pitching staff. If it is tOSU, they will have already played 3 games in 2 days, and be throwing hopefully they lowest in the rotation. If it is MSU, not as bad, but same, in that they have to throw someone pretty good just to get to afternoon game....

OSU and MSU both have very good back ends of their pens.

Now with that being said I can see tOSU and MSU whoever wins throwing Tully or Vieaux respectively, just to see what they can get. Vieaux threw 105 pitches on Wednesday while Tully threw 93 pitches on Wednesday. Both are lefties and we know Iowa has struggled with lefties.

You always have to be worried with the power that tOSU brings to the table as well.

You reach the championship and all bets are off. Usually 3-4 days after a start, pitchers throw a midweek bullpen. In this case I would expect both teams to use their weekend rotation for a couple of innings if the situation called for it.

OSU has more power in their lineup (Dawson's walkoff homer to beat MSU is a case in point) but both lineups can produce runs. Iowa would probably have a better matchup against the Spartans, but there are no weak sisters when you reach this point of a tournament.

Whoever we play, we will have to play well to win. Whoever we play, you could make an argument on either side as far as what would constitute an upset. Seeding-wise, we'll be the lower seed regardless. So by that measure, an Iowa win would be an upset. But if you go off of who is playing their best baseball right now, and add in the massive extra number of innings our opponent will have had to play to get to the afternoon game...you could argue that them beating Iowa would constitute an upset.

A week and a half ago we were something of a longshot to even qualify for the Big Ten Tournament. So no matter what happens, to be 9 innings away from an NCAA Tournament berth is pretty astonishing. it's been a fun ride and we all just hope the Hawks come out and give it their best effort and let the chips fall where they may. One thing we know for certain, the fans will show up and do their part to make it feel like a home game! :D

Mekkes pitching for MSU now. 3-3 in the 5th, 2 on no outs for OSU.

Gets out of the inning with no runs. Be interesting if he continues or not.

With Mekkes throwing quite a bit here, I'd almost guarantee if MSU advances we see Vieaux. Heck, I almost guarantee we see Tully for tOSU.

All I can say is it would be nice to get some payback by beating MSU in the championship game.

Can anyone offer a reasonable explanation of why Matthews was pulled? Maybe they just wanted to match the mistake OSU made when we played on Friday?

Iowa fans in force. A Nebraska v Iowa final would've probably put 20,000+ in the seats

Holy sh** they need to stop worrying about the damn baserunners and just pitch the ball.....

These kind of collapses are always stupid.

I don't know. Given the circumstances I think you channel Dusty Baker and pitch him until the wheels come off.
Yeah I think they needed to try to get one more inning out of him or at least start the inning rather than bringing a fresh guy in right away.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT