ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa makes Hall's top 5

WEH8 gives the perfect answer IMHO. Logically Hall is the best choice. Thinking long term, who is our 174 after Meyer graduates? Marinelli bulks up? Young bulks up? Another unknown recruit? Hall is an absolute 4X starter 4X AA. A little presumptive to say 4 X NC at this point I would think, but a superstar to be sure. Suriano and Happel will both be great gets, but we will have more that capable starters in Turk, Mejia and Renteria. With the loss of Evans, Moore, Dziewa and Telford I have to imagine that opened up some scholly money. Especially with three of those four being out of state recuits, I get the feeling we are in for a monster recruiting class. I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that Hall, Happel and Suriano could all be hawks. Add Young, Marinelli and maybe a couple more guys and we have a great shot at getting another number one recruiting class.

both great views,boy I would hate to see someone with happels accomplishments from so close by go anywhere else.hall is pretty close to being a sure thing superstud. if he goes elsewhere weh8 and tarp are going to go off about not getting stud recruits and I will sulk and tell everyone all is good when I am really crying on the inside.

Last edited:
Reactions: TarpHawk and el dub
Hall. He would be a magnet for other uppers. Love both Suriano and Happel but we don't need them. Last title we got from an upper was in 2010. Plus, he and Marinelli would be great in the room together.
They would indeed.

Not like we're running Champs off the shelves at any weight these days though, so all help is welcome. I'm trying to keep this all in context, because there's only 1 Mark Hall and there are a lot of schools he could choose. IF Hall goes elsewhere and we land several other guys that pan out greatly, all is good. We need to recruit better across the board, period, and on paper lately we have been. But we thought we recruited well with Nick Moore (0 AA's), Josh Dziewa (0 AA's) and very highly touted Mike Evans who finished DNP, 6-6-6 (maybe we're cursed by the Devil! Ha!). Brands eluded to it in his latest interview, you can't have Top 5 recruits like Evans putting up those kind of results at the end of the day and expect Team Championships to follow (not trying to pick on Mike Evans - glad he was a Hawkeye, the stats are what they are however).

Courtesy of Hawk Central: Brands: "The thing is, our guys are talked to the right way. I will defend that. Because of the rules, they get by with things. They get out there and they do different things. Take Mike Evans (at 174) for example. That guy, can he score points? Absolutely. But he knew the easiest way to win a match — the least painful way to win a match — is to go out there and keep it close and win it in the end. Because the rules allowed him to do that. (my conclusion - Brands wasn't a fan of the way Mike went about winning matches ........... he mentioned Sorensen in the same context BTW - I'm sure most here have read the article by now)

Brent Metcalf is/was every bit the recruit that Mark Hall is, IMO (you can argue about the semantics of upper, lower, middle weights). And Metcalf was the leader of multiple Title teams, but the recruiting didn't keep up because of his presence, or the Coaches just flat out whiffed on their assessment of some of that incoming talent, or certainly the development of it. Mark Hall would be a great centerpiece for sure, but he'll need help, so the overall recruiting and/or development has to greatly improve. Let's hope it does.

Reactions: el dub and TarpHawk
that kind of brings up something I have been thinking about sloe. tom b is still tom b. this is the guy who talked brent, jay and joe slaton to wrestle for non traditional power VTech. he scouted them he evaluated their talent he got them to sign. why cant that happen here. anyway only trying to stimulate conversation.

I think there is a very good chance that we will also have Sammy Brooks and Meyer (and Metcalf) in the HWC in addition to Marinelli to roll around with the entire time he is here with Iowa and even when he is with the HWC winning World Championships and Olympic Golds. Not bad partners to have.

Sloe-I'd argue that Hall is more heralded than Metcalf...He already has a Cadet World Title and is working on his Junior this summer. In fact, Hall will probably be one of the most sought after prospects ever because fans have been able to watch his progress on Flo from the time he was in Jr. High on.
I do think talent attracts more talent.These guys want to win both individual and team titles. Having tough national title level opponents in the room everyday helps. A guy like Hall is already gauging his potential teammates...look at the quote in the recently published article when it comes to Iowa. I also think that he knows he would be a rock star at Iowa.

It seems crazy to write this, but I actually expect Hall to win 4 NCAA titles. Those are high expectations, but the kid is so insanely advanced at his age.

Of course, it's hard to predict with any certainty that Hall will win 4, but he's probably more exceptional than Logan Stieber was at this stage and Stieber obviously got it done. Granted, Stieber got the benefit of some favorable calls in his wins over Oliver and Ramos, so there was a little luck involved, but I absolutely think Hall is in the conversation for 4-timer status. He may need a few breaks to go his way to get it done, but I sure don't think it's far-fetched at all.

Reactions: MtHoodCy
how cool would it be to be the all time best at the place that is sinanimous with college wrestling. about the only thing iowa does not have is a 4 time champ, but no pressure.

Reactions: Huck and MtHoodCy
I hesitate to crown any high school wrestler a four timer, but having a dual where you go Marinelli-Hall would be one of the best one two punches in wrestling.

Brands might have to consider starting duals at 165 instead of 125 if Iowa gets both.

Reactions: Knight563
Sloe-I'd argue that Hall is more heralded than Metcalf...He already has a Cadet World Title and is working on his Junior this summer. In fact, Hall will probably be one of the most sought after prospects ever because fans have been able to watch his progress on Flo from the time he was in Jr. High on.
I do think talent attracts more talent.These guys want to win both individual and team titles. Having tough national title level opponents in the room everyday helps. A guy like Hall is already gauging his potential teammates...look at the quote in the recently published article when it comes to Iowa. I also think that he knows he would be a rock star at Iowa.
You could argue that, and you may be right (I disagree but it's all good), but it's purely semantics, IMO. There was a ton of media exposure on the Metcalf versus Schlatter debates and who was truly the #1 overall recruit between them. I don't believe the presence of Flo makes one more "heralded" than another. You know who these kids are whether it's video, audio, or in print. And if it was long enough ago you would have seen the smoke signals relative to all of them. :D

I don't recall Metcalf's entire career or his efforts to be on Freestyle Cadets or Juniors teams, but he did win 6 Fargo Titles I believe (did he wrestle as a Senior? - seems like a lot don't anymore). And he went undefeated in his Michigan Folkstyle career, then split matches with the other "best recruit on the planet" in Dustin Schlatter (whose NCAA Title as a True Freshman while Metcalf sat is all the testament one needs about the legitimacy of these two guys abilities and how "heralded" they were).

I suppose it depends on how much emphasis one puts on Freestyle credentials and subsequent accolades. I personally feel it's a great accomplishment, but it doesn't translate to College Folkstyle success or failure and never has. I honestly couldn't care less if any Hawkeye recruit ever won Fargo or Cadet or Junior anything as it relates to Freestyle. Iowa has had several Fargo Champs that didn't do much on the College scene at the end of the day. Why? Because it's Freestyle and it doesn't matter when you wrestle Folkstyle.

And guys like Metcalf, Schlatter, Nickerson, etc., they win Freestyle Titles and Greco Titles and Folkstyle Titles because they're better than everyone else. If you invented 4 new ways to wrestle they'd beat you at that too, as would Mark Hall I suspect.

My position is guys like Brent Metcalf and Lincoln Mcllravy and Joe Williams were and are every bit as heralded as Mark Hall. Each one of them was a threat to be a 4 timer before they ever set foot on a college campus (I should say Legitimate 4-Timers, there have been about 1,000 others over the years depending on who you ask).:D

At the end of the day, we'd have loved for all these guys to be in Black and Gold. Mark Hall is just the latest. There will be others down the road.....................

No matter where he ends up, Hall will have some great battles in college. I'm assuming he'll be at 174 (or possibly cut down to 165). He'll likely continue his rivalry with Anthony Valencia, he could certainly butt heads with Bo Jordan (that would be epic), Those weights will be loaded with talent including Bo Nickal, Taylor Massa, Chance Marstellar, Ethen Ramos etc. How much better would Hall make Marinelli btw? What a 1-2 punch that would be to complement our Hall, Suriao lightweight combo ;-).

Go Hawks!!!!!!

So Hall has been wrestling at 74kg/163lbs all summer and will continue todo so since he is on the junior world team. If he wrestles at Apple Valley this year I would think he goes 170. I have seen that most people have him going 174 in college, but Hall clearly has international wrestling on his minds also so does he wrestle 165 in college to stay close to the 163 international weight?

So Hall has been wrestling at 74kg/163lbs all summer and will continue todo so since he is on the junior world team. If he wrestles at Apple Valley this year I would think he goes 170. I have seen that most people have him going 174 in college, but Hall clearly has international wrestling on his minds also so does he wrestle 165 in college to stay close to the 163 international weight?
He can wrestle 174 and still be close enough to 163. Not an issue.

I'd say in order to land Hall we need to make a very smart/big hire for the S&C spot. Nebraska has some serious pull with Burroughs on staff.

It is interesting to me how wrestling in the Big 10 has become a major factor for the elite wrestlers. It is by far the best wrestling conference.

I'd say that coming into the BIG 10 was the smartest move for our sports programs and wrestling in particular! There will still be those by schools in more desirable geographical locations but they will be the exceptions and never the rule. And Im sure that is not news to you.

Mark Hall just tweeted a little while ago

"My last day of school is tomorrow"
followed shortly after by...
"i have a ground breaking announcement coming... tomorrow. stay tuned!"

I hope its good hawkeye related news :)

I hope I'm wrong, but I think he's going yo choose Nebraska. Spending a lot of time with Burroughs and Green. Hard to argue with that. Two guys close to his weight on the Senior World Team. I hope Ramos, Brent and Brands are influential enough.

They are going to stream his commitment like football players do on Flo is the big announcement. The hashtag is #growthesport

Today's announcement is that at some unspecified date in the future, Flo will cover live Hall's disclosure of what college/program he's going to be joining? Hmmm. Ok. I guess I expected a little more.

Think about this-- Flo streaming this live in front of 15 K fans at an Iowa dual this fall-- can you imagine the roar if he came down the tunnel with an Iowa hat on? Now that would be god for the sport-- 15K instant fans !

Think about this-- Flo streaming this live in front of 15 K fans at an Iowa dual this fall-- can you imagine the roar if he came down the tunnel with an Iowa hat on? Now that would be god for the sport-- 15K instant fans !

He did say the annoucement will be at Apple Valley already (though I imagine they would do it from anywhere). He also said it will be this fall, so expect a long summer of wondering..

And he's not skipping his senior year since he can wrestle at the OTC right up until the season begins. He's been doing all his schoolwork online since February.

"He did say the announcement will be at Apple Valley already (though I imagine they would do it from anywhere). He also said it will be this fall, so expect a long summer of wondering.."

Good for him, bring attention to the sport- certain people have that, and he is one of them at this point. Heck- Might as well do it on live TV at the break at Carver on the Big Ten network-- Flo can stream it also-- We can hope!

He wants his announcement to be a big production, he said it would be good for the sport. So even if he isn't seriously considering Iowa, he will act like he is so the announcement is bigger. If he is choosing between Nebraska, Northwestern, and Purdue nobody will watch. So Penn State and Iowa (and Minnesota, the home state) will be on the list for eyeballs if nothing else.

In order to stay sane I'm going to simply reiterate one more time that I hope he comes to Iowa.

Nothing else to do now but wait patiently and occupy myself with the others on my wish list...Suriano, Yates, White, Bey, Lee, Happel, Berge.

If he comes to Iowa, great. If not, we'll be fine

I'd agree that we will be fine without him.

Our lower weights are going to be great. With Marinelli and other very solid middle to upper weight guys, we will hold our own in the middle to upper weights and be a national contender.

But when you put him with the others, we will be great. If he comes, I see multiple team titles in our future. Getting him would be huge and he will be a real difference maker.

Reactions: T8KUDWN
I think the Hawks have a better chance at Lee and Suriano and Yates than Hall. Lets see If I am wrong as usual.

I think the Hawks have a better chance at Lee and Suriano and Yates than Hall. Lets see If I am wrong as usual.

You might be right there, but I hope not. Even if we miss on all three of those guys (which I would like to think we will get at least 2), I still see us having a top 5 type guy at 125 and 133. If Hall comes, we have a top 3 type guy (hopefully at least a couple NC if he is a Hawk). If he doesn't, we may end up with a guy that scores less than 3-5 points at nationals at his weight. That is why he is so important. Of course if we get Moore, Bey, and Berge, that would take some of the sting out of it.;)

So I am curious ... for the most part Iowa fans don't seem too confident Hall will become a Hawkeye. Curious as to why you think that way? Hall said he wants to wrestle in the Big 10. And be in the Midwest. My understanding is he was not born in Minnesota but moved there.

I think Iowa has as good of shot as anyone. Does Hall have special ties to the Gophers, Buckeyes, Nittany Lions? For those who think he won't choose Iowa, why do you think that way?

He would be on a team with tons of talent, a historic program; a team that he likes because he said our wrestlers are always ready to go. Now I am not a wrestling insider like many on this board; I am just intrigued by Hall and I have yet to come across any clear-cut reason why he would not come to Iowa. Thoughts?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT