ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa recruiting thread.

As of today we have Drake at 125, Woods 141, PK at 165, Nelson at 174 and Cass at 285 that we should feel pretty good about. I want to see Chittum at 157.

The rest of the lineup needs improvement either from existing guys making a jump or getting different guys. I have the most faith in Rathjen being able to make a jump at 149 out of the existing guys.

As of today we have Drake at 125, Woods 141, PK at 165, Nelson at 174 and Cass at 285 that we should feel pretty good about. I want to see Chittum at 157.

The rest of the lineup needs improvement either from existing guys making a jump or getting different guys. I have the most faith in Rathjen being able to make a jump at 149 out of the existing guys.
I’d rather see chittum 49 and coby at 57. Unless off-season rathjen results improve significantly.

Coby was doing great before shoulder injury(or whatever the brace was for)

Rathjen hasn’t shown any ability to score yet.

Luke Lilledahl dropped a Freestyle match to Bassett at elite 8 duals and dropped a Freestyle match to ISU recruit Adrian Meza today at Journeyman. Not bad losses but Lilledahl has placed high at worlds and handled Bassett last summer.

I’d rather see chittum 49 and coby at 57. Unless off-season rathjen results improve significantly.

Coby was doing great before shoulder injury(or whatever the brace was for)

Rathjen hasn’t shown any ability to score yet.
Rathjen hasn't been at his ideal weight and healthy yet. He is the better athlete and has better upside IMO. I'm not confident either are AA but I would rather Chittum solidify 157 and have the other two work out 149. That leaves more of a spot for Block to move up as well if he can't hold 141. If he can't hit a throw or a funk (opponents were figuring this out) Cobe is very limited in scoring as well. He struggles to get TDs and his neutral defense has always been suspect.

Last edited:
Luke Lilledahl dropped a Freestyle match to Bassett at elite 8 duals and dropped a Freestyle match to ISU recruit Adrian Meza today at Journeyman. Not bad losses but Lilledahl has placed high at worlds and handled Bassett last summer.
The downside to signing someone early is that they peak. They lose and edge. I think you have to be aware of it.

The downside to signing someone early is that they peak. They lose and edge. I think you have to be aware of it.
Ferrari at 157 if he can shake the rust off and chittum at 149 for next year, then who knows after that. Kennedy will be our 165 for 1 more year after that. Got to really figure out 126/133, even teske is gone after next year.

Ferrari at 157 if he can shake the rust off and chittum at 149 for next year, then who knows after that. Kennedy will be our 165 for 1 more year after that. Got to really figure out 126/133, even teske is gone after next year.
Ferrari isn't anything more than an internet post at this point and if he was more than than I don't have any reason to believe he would be better than what we have.

I watched the Meza match. It's up a weight from where Lilledahl has been. Meza looked a bit thicker. Lilledahl was up 2-0 at the break. Meza got a TD for 2 and then a point for Lilledahl going OB I think. They restarted with Lilledahl down and Meza got a leg lace for 3 turns. Lilledahl got a TD later.

I watched a number of his matches and Lilledahl is a position wrestler who takes calculated shots more than volume shooting. Good finisher, scores a lot on re-shots. Still developing on the physical side. Seemed ok on bottom, not bad anyway. Pretty good at riding but not really turning. Fairly athletic but not next level or anything.

Rathjen hasn't been at his ideal weight and healthy yet. He is the better athlete and has better upside IMO. I'm not confident either are AA but I would rather Chittum solidify 157 and have the other two work out 149. That leaves more of a spot for Block to move up as well if he can't hold 141. If he can't hit a throw or a funk (opponents were figuring this out) Cobe is very limited in scoring as well. He struggles to get TDs and his neutral defense has always been suspect.
I would say chittum is a close lock to AA year one.

I would wager a big chunk of change that Chittum is a AA at either 149 or 157. Imo Chittum is the biggest/best recruit we’ve had since Spencer Lee. Shoot I’d go as far as saying he’s the 3rd best recruit in the Brands era behind S Lee and Metcalf. I expect him to compete for a title right out the gate.

The line up we might hope/wish/pray to see looks something like-

25 Drake
33 Nagao
41 Woods
49 Chittum
57 Ferrari
65 PK
74 Brands
84 Assad
97 Truax
Heavy Big Cass

Now the obvious. Landing Nagao might have become the #1 thing on the l o n g list of things to get done! Chittum as mentioned could be at 57 depending on where he feels best and/or what is best 49/57 combo for the team?

57 Ferrari is also about as big of a "anyones guess" as I have seen after a post saying Committed?
Also just how good he is remains to be seen? Can he actually help us? It would appear on the surface that he could come in and do some damage(in a good winning wrestling matches way)!!! ALL this remains to be seen.

Coby did pretty well and if he could gain some muscle he could keep the weight from becoming a "hole" in the line up.

Assad has to get healthy!

Landing Truax also would be HUGE? Would he want to go 84? If so could Assad red shirt? Would this help us?

Feel very good about 25 41 what ever weight Chittum goes, 65 74 and Heavy. That equals 6 very solid point scoring AAs/ possible champion Wrestlers.

Listed above is one guy we have(Assad) who has not been able to stay health, and 1 guy(ferrari) who I am not too sure about? Plus to HOPEFULS who could really help put us on top!

Then you have the possible dark side which would be AJ for 97? Seems like a 100 to 1 shot at this point but stranger things have happened!

The line up we might hope/wish/pray to see looks something like-

25 Drake
33 Nagao
41 Woods
49 Chittum
57 Ferrari
65 PK
74 Brands
84 Assad
97 Truax
Heavy Big Cass

Now the obvious. Landing Nagao might have become the #1 thing on the l o n g list of things to get done! Chittum as mentioned could be at 57 depending on where he feels best and/or what is best 49/57 combo for the team?

57 Ferrari is also about as big of a "anyones guess" as I have seen after a post saying Committed?
Also just how good he is remains to be seen? Can he actually help us? It would appear on the surface that he could come in and do some damage(in a good winning wrestling matches way)!!! ALL this remains to be seen.

Coby did pretty well and if he could gain some muscle he could keep the weight from becoming a "hole" in the line up.

Assad has to get healthy!

Landing Truax also would be HUGE? Would he want to go 84? If so could Assad red shirt? Would this help us?

Feel very good about 25 41 what ever weight Chittum goes, 65 74 and Heavy. That equals 6 very solid point scoring AAs/ possible champion Wrestlers.

Listed above is one guy we have(Assad) who has not been able to stay health, and 1 guy(ferrari) who I am not too sure about? Plus to HOPEFULS who could really help put us on top!

Then you have the possible dark side which would be AJ for 97? Seems like a 100 to 1 shot at this point but stranger things have happened!
That would be a salty salty line up except for Assad. I guess that Assad as the only weak link would be an awesome line up. And hoping drake gets some man strength.

Recruiting wise. Hope we’re all in on Bassett, Knox and Lilledahl.

All could end up at different weights and that’s the type of classes we need to be bringing to beat Carl.

Angelo is a must get, and again, we need that type of blue chip.

I was referring to Cobe and Rathjen as not being sure either one is an AA. I have Chittum in the we should feel good about what we have category.

Who do you think is most likely to be in our line up next year between AJ Ferrari, Bernie Truax, and Nagoa?
I got AJ as 100 to 1 right now
Traux at 40%
Nagao at 50%

These are my Bird the Greek best guesses
That would be a salty salty line up except for Assad. I guess that Assad as the only weak link would be an awesome line up. And hoping drake gets some man strength.
I would feel good about a healthy Assad. Off-season to recover, and possible a light schedule early in the season and hopefully he can AA for us.

Bassett is IOWA STYLE!!!

I was referring to Cobe and Rathjen as not being sure either one is an AA. I have Chittum in the we should feel good about what we have category.
Oh gotcha - yeah - if they are both fringe guys I’d take cobe hands down. He was rolling before injury. Has had a season of big ten competition, heavy focus from coaches. Just a hunch but I think he leaves Rathjen 2 levels behind next year.

Oh gotcha - yeah - if they are both fringe guys I’d take cobe hands down. He was rolling before injury. Has had a season of big ten competition, heavy focus from coaches. Just a hunch but I think he leaves Rathjen 2 levels behind next year.
Warner specifically mentioned Rathjen in an interview after the season at 149 for a person to watch so I'm going with him if 149 is the weight in question. Rathjen has past wins over Chittum and Van Ness, has better feet and 149 fits his body better than it does Cobe. Cobe might still win the spot but I don't see any scenario he leaves Rathjen 2 levels behind.

Warner specifically mentioned Rathjen in an interview after the season at 149 for a person to watch so I'm going with him if 149 is the weight in question. Rathjen has past wins over Chittum and Van Ness, has better feet and 149 fits his body better than it does Cobe. Cobe might still win the spot but I don't see any scenario he leaves Rathjen 2 levels behind.
I saw his match against chittum. Maybe he’s made leaps during the season. Hard to tell when he’s not wrestling. Hope he wrestles this summer so we can see.

Reactions: MVPFAN
I would wager a big chunk of change that Chittum is a AA at either 149 or 157. Imo Chittum is the biggest/best recruit we’ve had since Spencer Lee. Shoot I’d go as far as saying he’s the 3rd best recruit in the Brands era behind S Lee and Metcalf. I expect him to compete for a title right out the gate.
Agreed. AA isn’t even a question in my mind for Cody. My main question about him is how soon he wins his first national title. Kid is a BEAST, and he’s only getting better.

Tovar has some ability. Obviously not a premium recruit but has really good foot movement for a bigger weight guy. Gas tank seems fine. Good strength. Was obviously giving up size at 220 in most every match I watched. I am not seeing a heavyweight frame. I'd like to see how he does getting down a weight, could be pretty effective.

Lost is RD 1 of the Illinois state tournament. Wrestled all the way back to take 3rd. 4th at folkstyle nationals losing to Lewis both times.

Wouldn’t it be nice
125 Ayala
133 Nagao
141 Woods
149 Chittum
157 Ferrari/Siebrect
165 Kennedy
174 Brands
184 Truax
197 AJ Ferrari
285 Cassioppi

125 Ayala