ADVERTISEMENT

****Iowa vs Penn St Game Thread*****

I usually don't blame Fran for losses, but he sure gets a lot of the blame tonight. Dix and Perkins were cooking, but the zebras and Fran sure cooled them off. We had non-winning lineups during at least half of the game, usually involving Patrick, whose stats mislead how he impacts the team on the court. There is no spacing or movement when Dix and Perkins are sitting, and the defense sucks. Good effort by Krikke tonight, but he still can't play defense. PSU guards outplayed the Iowa guards, who had been playing very well.

I usually don't blame Fran for losses, but he sure gets a lot of the blame tonight. Dix and Perkins were cooking, but the zebras and Fran sure cooled them off. We had non-winning lineups during at least half of the game, usually involving Patrick, whose stats mislead how he impacts the team on the court. There is no spacing or movement when Dix and Perkins are sitting, and the defense sucks. Good effort by Krikke tonight, but he still can't play defense. PSU guards outplayed the Iowa guards, who had been playing very well.

Last 10 matchups Penn St. is 6-4 against Iowa, and it feels like their guards always kick our ass.

It was painful watching watching Krikke, Owen, Payton, Patrick, and even Dembele trying to bring the ball up against pressure. They handled the ball way to much when all you needed was a second ball handler on the floor.

Reactions: DewHawk
It was painful watching watching Krikke, Owen, Payton, Patrick, and even Dembele trying to bring the ball up against pressure. They handled the ball way to much when all you needed was a second ball handler on the floor.
Positionless basketball baby, it's all the rage in Fran's head.

Fran mentioned how good he played off the bench tonight. Probably back starting.:confused:
Frans definition of how well is if he scores,
team definition is how well they do when he plays
-18 in 22 min is terrible, when only Bowen was other IOWA player to be > -10, in a 10 point loss

Reactions: MikeyHawk
Between FB and MBB, I didn't know you could spell NEPOTISM with a W and an A invovled, but apparently you can.

This was the most one sided reffing job Ive seen this year. They flailed at the slightest contact and got every call, and got away with tons of bumps and grabs on defense. Surprised Fran didnt go off.
Of course Paul Szelc was officiating.
He's awful and an ignorant scoundrel. I disapprove of his very existence.

Reactions: iowaathletes
PSU shot 31 free throws despite half of their shots being 3s. To be fair they got about 8 of those from Iowa fouling for time. Iowa had 10 free throws despite shooting only 15 3s and almost all of their points coming in the paint.
Iowa has had many games where they shot more free throws than their opponents. It happens.
The reality is Iowa is 15th in the country in scoring points. Somewhere in the mid 300's in allowing points.
Not exactly a recipe for success.

Iowa led 63-56 with 8:38 left

From that point, Penn State scored 33 points
Scored on 14 of 15 possessions. 5 of 5 from 3, 9 of 11 overall. 10 of 11 from the FT Line

Down to 148 in defense on KenPom

Not one of Fran's better coaching jobs this season, but, at least Pat gets to play

Iowa has had many games where they shot more free throws than their opponents. It happens.
The reality is Iowa is 15th in the country in scoring points. Somewhere in the mid 300's in allowing points.
Free throw stats Iowa - PSU

FT9-1025-31

I agree defense is the biggest issue. I don't expect free throws to be even, but I think the disparity is interesting in this particular case for 2 reasons. One you draw more fouls in paint scoring than you do on 3 pointers. Iowa scored a lot of paint points. About 25% of Iowa's shots were 3 pointers compared to nearly 50% of PSUs. Additionally I think everyone would agree that PSU plays a much more physical game defensively than Iowa. It is arguably one of the flaws with Iowa that they aren't physical particularly off the ball. For those reasons I think it is surprising for Iowa to only get to the line 10 times and for PSU to have only 14 fouls.

Reactions: HawkLogic
What coach plays 4 bigs and only one guard - Perkins. And then Perkins seemed to take about 4 minutes off while on the court - letting first Dembele , then Payton a couple of times and Patrick try to bring the ball up and not even make an attempt to help them.

Reactions: HawkLogic
What coach plays 4 bigs and only one guard - Perkins. And then Perkins seemed to take about 4 minutes off while on the court - letting first Dembele , then Payton a couple of times and Patrick try to bring the ball up and not even make an attempt to help them.
Problem is that Fran knows that he needs interior rebounding and defense, so Patrick takes the place of a guard, because he won't participate in the physical parts of the game. He and Dix are almost exact opposites in what they do on the court.

FM was spouting off post-game about bad defense. The guy is oblivious to his own stupidity, lack of defense, player rotations, and playing his "soft as Charmin" son. JMO.

FM was spouting off post-game about bad defense. The guy is oblivious to his own stupidity, lack of defense, player rotations, and playing his "soft as Charmin" son. JMO.
I stopped watching Fran's post game interviews. Patrick's defense isn't just bad, it doesn't exist. If you watch him, he is often just an observer, usually somewhere on the wing. Sometimes, it is like he is guarding an area, even if no opposing player is in the area. I kind of disrespect the other coaches for not pointing that out.

Reactions: DewHawk
Iowa led 63-56 with 8:38 left

From that point, Penn State scored 33 points
Scored on 14 of 15 possessions. 5 of 5 from 3, 9 of 11 overall. 10 of 11 from the FT Line

Down to 148 in defense on KenPom

Not one of Fran's better coaching jobs this season, but, at least Pat gets to play

Wow 148th in tempo adjusted defense? That is horrid. We have three guys that colllectivley average close to 30 minutes per game per player and are among the worst defenders in the B1G. WE have a coach that only cares about offense.

I stopped watching Fran's post game interviews. Patrick's defense isn't just bad, it doesn't exist. If you watch him, he is often just an observer, usually somewhere on the wing. Sometimes, it is like he is guarding an area, even if no opposing player is in the area. I kind of disrespect the other coaches for not pointing that out.
Not defending pmac but a lot of teams guard an area to defend 3 point.shooters instead of stopping the ball

Maybe Iowa should nut up and play physical defense. This excuse is so tired at this point. Iowa plays pansy ass, slow footed, soft defense and it's been their Achilles heel for a long time now. They can't match physicality and it consistently costs them games.

Ok, but how do you explain "slow-footed" Perkins getting called for a foul here? No contest, no reach, literally just running with the guy who suddenly jerks his head back like James Harden and sells another freebie to these dumb refs.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT