ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa WBB 2025 Recruiting Thread

Deal, Houston and Hays would be a great class. Add in Skinner and/or McGaughy look out. Think what Coach Bluder could do with a top five class of talent.
If Bluder can land Skinner, McGaughy, Hays, or Speiser, this will certainly be a Top 5 class. If she can land both Skinner and McGaughy, it could be Top 3.

Also, we've forgotten about Jernigan but it doesn't seem she's forgotten about us. She's been Liking some Iowa stuff recently on Twitter, surprisingly.

So far btw I'd say we've gotten some low-key wins on the recruiting side in the tourney:
  • If K-State had advanced to the Sweet 16 (and potentially beaten us), that woulda been a lot of momentum for them as a program -- as well as their chances with Speiser, IMO.
  • Also, I would guess Skinner is considering Utah (and didn't Layla Hays visit them as well?) They also lost in the Round of 32. Probably doesn't mean much, but again, would have been great momentum for an up-and-coming program to make another Sweet 16 appearance.

Reactions: letsgosports
If Bluder can land Skinner, McGaughy, Hays, or Speiser, this will certainly be a Top 5 class. If she can land both Skinner and McGaughy, it could be Top 3.

Also, we've forgotten about Jernigan but it doesn't seem she's forgotten about us. She's been Liking some Iowa stuff recently on Twitter, surprisingly.

So far btw I'd say we've gotten some low-key wins on the recruiting side in the tourney:
  • If K-State had advanced to the Sweet 16 (and potentially beaten us), that woulda been a lot of momentum for them as a program -- as well as their chances with Speiser, IMO.
  • Also, I would guess Skinner is considering Utah (and didn't Layla Hays visit them as well?) They also lost in the Round of 32. Probably doesn't mean much, but again, would have been great momentum for an up-and-coming program to make another Sweet 16 appearance.
To my knowledge, Hays has only visited Gonzaga and Iowa. I would guess from a proximity to home perspective, more west coast schools would get visits as well. Jernigan was set for a visit then the January snowstorm hit & it's been quiet on that front since. Interested to see if they end up bringing her in.

So Hays looks like strong interest, McGaughy looks pretty interested as well. Where do we think we stand with Skinner or Speiser? Also how many can we realistically take, 4, 5? With Deal already in the fold as well as Houston, I am thinking 2 at most 3 spots left.

To my knowledge, Hays has only visited Gonzaga and Iowa. I would guess from a proximity to home perspective, more west coast schools would get visits as well. Jernigan was set for a visit then the January snowstorm hit & it's been quiet on that front since. Interested to see if they end up bringing her in.
Got it. Im pretty sure *someone* visited Utah lol….

So Hays looks like strong interest, McGaughy looks pretty interested as well. Where do we think we stand with Skinner or Speiser? Also how many can we realistically take, 4, 5? With Deal already in the fold as well as Houston, I am thinking 2 at most 3 spots left.
They'd be at 12 if no one leaves with Houston and Deal so 3 max. We got Skinner to visit for GameDay/OSU & that had to leave an impression. How much, who knows. Elite prospects are going to get the royal treatment from everyone. Speiser certainly isn't a lock & Kstate is a strong contender. Notre Dame seems to be a late addition for her as well. McGaughy has 4 other visits planned in April/May which may be a positive as she won't be experiencing any game atmosphere at another school. She was just at Breanna Stewart's elite 30 camp before her visit (with Skinner) & with UCONN being her dream school, that was probably a plus for them. Next few months should be telling. If they feel confident in getting them, they won't be bringing many more 25's in for visits.

Last edited:
One thing Gabbie mentioned in the locker room postgame was that Iowa was the only visit she took where the coaches were around for the full visit. The family atmosphere Iowa creates is a big selling point for the program and it starts the minute they get recruits on campus.

Actions like flying all the way to Alaska to visit Hays or bring recruits in and spending most of your day with them on the eve and day of the biggest games of the season also has to go a long way in establishing a strong relationship.

I don't know how Jan slept much on Monday night. It took my wife and I several hours to settle in for the night. We watched reruns of the last two minutes, watched what the BIG network had to say and then player interviews on you tube. It was well after 1:00 EST when we turned in. Hoping Brynn and her parents were impressed.

I'll bet Skinner and Hays were watching. Ladies come on down.

A class of Skinner, McGaughy, and Hays to go along with Deal and Houston could be Iowa's version of our Fab 5.

I don't know how Jan slept much on Monday night. It took my wife and I several hours to settle in for the night. We watched reruns of the last two minutes, watched what the BIG network had to say and then player interviews on you tube. It was well after 1:00 EST when we turned in. Hoping Brynn and her parents were impressed.

A class of Skinner, McGaughy, and Hays to go along with Deal and Houston could be Iowa's version of our Fab 5.
Imagine that core + Greenway the next year. Sheesh

I did not want to short change the 2024 class. Very excited about the five young ladies joining the Hawks this fall. Four in the top 100. Two solid classes and look out.

UTAH has a decent NIL program. Saw something that all the women got leased SUVs from the dealership.

Sure would be nice to hear something substantial out of Emilee before August.
It's still my opinion that Skinner is the least likely to sign of the Top 2025 targets -- especially if the reports of Brynn McGaughy being "very impressed" with her visit are true. The order of likelihood below, IMO (not surprisingly, they go from lowest-ranked to highest-ranked):
  1. Hays (C) -- Her most recent Tweet and her most recent Like are both Iowa related (the Like being a tweet that said "Man does Iowa have a great *DEAL* for you! Come join the fun!") It would also seem that her mother knows where she wants her daughter to go (...or perhaps knows where she is going...) and that is certainly Iowa. I'm sure Layla's aunt, a former Hawkeye herself, is cheering for Iowa too. Layla is supposed to be taking more visits but I haven't seen anything yet. I'm sure she will see her recruiting journey through, but we're obviously in a great place with her.
  2. Speiser (W) -- AFAIK, Speiser is the last kid Bluder (not Raina, Jensen, or Stamp -- the HC) paid a visit to. She is still very warm to Iowa as well based on social media activity. She's also warm to K-State and Notre Dame (the latter of which is having a great season). However, since Deal just signed, we need her less than we need the others, positionally (but she is still a Top 20 kid -- I don't see how Bluder says "Sorry, we've got enough shooters" to her). I know people expressed disappointment she hasn't been to a game, but I think I read she's been to campus at least 4 times already...so maybe it's not the craziest thing.
  3. McGaughy (PF) -- Has announced Iowa as a finalist, apparently was very impressed. She might be warmer to Iowa than Speiser actually...but she probably has better offers and of course is from much farther away. Lots of ambiguity about the UConn offer as well, and I think the supposition about Geno's calculus with regard to Sarah Strong is likely spot on. She may also have more offers to come.
  4. Skinner (PG) -- Has not announced finalists, is apparently still completely up in the air -- and she is the highest ranked of all 4 of these. She clearly isn't done visiting schools and I'd guess she's not done getting offers either. As a true PG, she will have her pick of elite programs. Our 2024 class is PG heavy and so our are our 2026 targets. Could be a concern for her. She also seems like a defensive juggernaut...I could be totally off-base, but I always worry what kids who want to play good D think about fitting in under Bluder.
Wildcards: Jernigan + Hines. Both are ranked significantly lower than the 4 above, and both are guards. So it's fair to say they are lower on the priority list. But both have spoken highly of Iowa. Both have us as a finalist and we're certainly among the best offers for both. I'm not sure what Bluder's calculus entails with kids like this....it's kind of unchartered territory for her, I'd guess. Ordinarily they'd be home runs, but she has the opportunity to strike gold if she slow plays them. All the same, she could end up with no further recruits in the Top 100 if she passes on them and things go south.

Most people here have forgotten about Taliyah Henderson (W) but I haven't forgotten that Iowa took at least 2 (if not 3 -- it was unclear) trips to Arizona to see her and someone reportedly spoke with Raina, who said Iowa "has a seat at the table" with her. Iowa is definitely her top offer. But I'd say she is likely a firmly lower priority considering Deal's commitment and Speiser's continued interest.

Last edited:
Skinner mentioned in this article discussing the Stewie 30 camp along with Bourrage and 26 prospects Trinity Jones, Saniya Hall, & Olivia Vukosa who all have offers.

Reactions: Torg
It's still my opinion that Skinner is the least likely to sign of the Top 2025 targets -- especially if the reports of Brynn McGaughy being "very impressed" with her visit are true. The order of likelihood below, IMO (not surprisingly, they go from lowest-ranked to highest-ranked):
  1. Hays (C) -- Her most recent Tweet and her most recent Like are both Iowa related (the Like being a tweet that said "Man does Iowa have a great *DEAL* for you! Come join the fun!") It would also seem that her mother knows where she wants her daughter to go (...or perhaps knows where she is going...) and that is certainly Iowa. I'm sure Layla's aunt, a former Hawkeye herself, is cheering for Iowa too. Layla is supposed to be taking more visits but I haven't seen anything yet. I'm sure she will see her recruiting journey through, but we're obviously in a great place with her.
  2. Speiser (W) -- AFAIK, Speiser is the last kid Bluder (not Raina, Jensen, or Stamp -- the HC) paid a visit to. She is still very warm to Iowa as well based on social media activity. She's also warm to K-State and Notre Dame (the latter of which is having a great season). However, since Deal just signed, we need her less than we need the others, positionally (but she is still a Top 20 kid -- I don't see how Bluder says "Sorry, we've got enough shooters" to her). I know people expressed disappointment she hasn't been to a game, but I think I read she's been to campus at least 4 times already...so maybe it's not the craziest thing.
  3. McGaughy (PF) -- Has announced Iowa as a finalist, apparently was very impressed. She might be warmer to Iowa than Speiser actually...but she probably has better offers and of course is from much farther away. Lots of ambiguity about the UConn offer as well, and I think the supposition about Geno's calculus with regard to Sarah Strong is likely spot on. She may also have more offers to come.
  4. Skinner (PG) -- Has not announced finalists, is apparently still completely up in the air -- and she is the highest ranked of all 4 of these. She clearly isn't done visiting schools and I'd guess she's not done getting offers either. As a true PG, she will have her pick of elite programs. Our 2024 class is PG heavy and so our are our 2026 targets. Could be a concern for her. She also seems like a defensive juggernaut...I could be totally off-base, but I always worry what kids who want to play good D think about fitting in under Bluder.
Wildcards: Jernigan + Hines. Both are ranked significantly lower than the 4 above, and both are guards. So it's fair to say they are lower on the priority list. But both have spoken highly of Iowa. Both have us as a finalist and we're certainly among the best offers for both. I'm not sure what Bluder's calculus entails with kids like this....it's kind of unchartered territory for her, I'd guess. Ordinarily they'd be home runs, but she has the opportunity to strike gold if she slow plays them. All the same, she could end up with no further recruits in the Top 100 if she passes on them and things go south.

Most people here have forgotten about Taliyah Henderson (W) but I haven't forgotten that Iowa took at least 2 (if not 3 -- it was unclear) trips to Arizona to see her and someone reportedly spoke with Raina, who said Iowa "has a seat at the table" with her. Iowa is definitely her top offer. But I'd say she is likely a firmly lower priority considering Deal's commitment and Speiser's continued interest.
Thanks for the post Shikreto, nice work. It's hard to keep up with the nuances that eventually make the difference. I had originally thought Speiser was far more likely than McGaughy, but things change. Brynn's recent TikTok post, live posing in a Hawk Uni and asking "Should I be a Hawkeye?" is encouraging.
I'm hoping, as we all do, that with Deal and Houston committed, the others might see a chance to create a UCONN-level recruiting class at Iowa. It's tantalizingly close!
But are you saying that Skinner would be less likely if Brynn commits? I don't see them competing for the same role. Maybe I read you wrong.
Also, I think Iowa has been playing much better D this year, and any defense-minded recruit who watched the game vs WV might be encouraged.

Last edited:
But are you saying that Skinner would be less likely if Brynn commits? I don’t see them competing for the same role. Maybe I read you wrong? 🤔

But are you saying that Skinner would be less likely if Brynn commits? I don’t see them competing for the same role. Maybe I read you wrong? 🤔
No I am not. Just that I think Skinner is less likely to become a Hawk than the other 3 top targets. I was just ordering them in terms of likelihood of signing -- we really have zero reason to believe Skinner was impressed with Iowa or that she is even still considering Iowa.

Compare that to Brynn -- who engaged with Kyle for a preview story (I don't pay for H/R content but I assume she did since he broke the news that she was coming and no Iowa staff member would do comment on that), she has Liked Iowa stuff on social apart from her own visit, and she reportedly came away "very impressed" by someone with a connection.

Skinner has done none of that. I'm pretty sure Kyle reaches out to everyone who visits campus -- Deal, Hays, etc all willingly spoke with him, but it seems Skinner opted out.

I just think we should all generally lower our expectations about her. She is the most highly ranked of the bunch and also a true PG -- she is very much in demand. She has taken many visits and likely will take many more. Unless she narrows if down to a Top 5 and we're in it, or something else happens to demonstrated strong interest, I'm going to keep her at the bottom of the Top 4 targets.

Last edited:
Some of the photos I saw of Skinner looked like she was a bit bored and not buying into Iowa. But the only thing I know about her recruitment is what I read on this board.

Some of the photos I saw of Skinner looked like she was a bit bored and not buying into Iowa. But the only thing I know about her recruitment is what I read on this board.
She's only visited once so hard to know. Seems like a classy young lady who would fit in well with the Hawkeye family.

Last edited:
If I was looking at this group, I see them all at different positions.

PG - Skinner
SG - Deal
SF - Houston
PF - McGaughy
C - Hays

Just my two cents.
Journey seems more like a stretch 4 to me, at this point, because her shooting and ball handling is just okay. Having said that, she’s more of a 3, like you say, if I consider Stulke a perfect 4. Some similarities to their games but Houston is better than Hannah on the perimeter. Still work to do!

I’ve noticed Adelaide Jernigan liking quite a bit of the “Welcome to Kentucky, Kenny!” stuff UK is spewing out. Sure enough, VT is a finalist of hers as well. Wonder if any of our other targets will also now be considering KY instead of VT.

Journey seems more like a stretch 4 to me, at this point, because her shooting and ball handling is just okay. Having said that, she’s more of a 3, like you say, if I consider Stulke a perfect 4. Some similarities to their games but Houston is better than Hannah on the perimeter. Still work to do!
Houston is not 6'2", she is 5'11".

Last edited:
OK, thought you were comparing her to Hannah who is much taller
I was a bit but saying their games are different. I could see Journey as your big 4th guard/stretch 4. Hannah is probably more of a power forward who has to play the 5.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT