ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa Womens Bball Portal Targets

The scholarship situation is odd. Volleyball gets 12 scholarships & they currently have 18 or 19 on the roster if you include the incoming freshman class. They can offer partial years however. No idea if wbb is similar though couldn't they put her on scholarship Jan 1 for 2nd semester & count against the 26 class with NIL covering 1st semester?

How whould the scholarship work out does anybody know
I keep bringing this up even though everyone has always disagreed with me at every turn about this topic.

Remember last year around this time (after the Final Four run but before Shateah entered the portal), when the Swarm CEO mentioned that there were definitely *ways* to pay for a 16th scholarship if no one left the program but an inbound transfer was interested? And he mentioned possible donors (plural) who were particularly interested in supporting WBB to keep momentum going?

I wonder if those possible donors are still around and if those *ways* still exist if, say, both Olsen and Scherr (or any other transfer who might be interested) chose Iowa....despite asking dozens of times, I've never gotten a straight answer on how an extra scholarship would work, but everyone seemed to believe it would be quite easy for Clark to come back for a 5th year even when we had 15 spots accounted for next year already. So does that logic still hold?

Thanks for sharing. Rumblings where, may I ask? (It's okay if I may not lol)

Thanks for sharing. Rumblings where, may I ask? (It's okay if I may not lol)
Hawkeye Insider. And just to reiterate: this isn't a 'Lucy Olsen has already visited and things went really well' post, but rather a 'we may have a prospect coming to visit' alert.

Hawkeye Insider. And just to reiterate: this isn't a 'Lucy Olsen has already visited and things went really well' post, but rather a 'we may have a prospect coming to visit' alert.
Got it, thanks again for sharing. I assume you mean this is on their message board. So Hawkeye Insider has a contributor that has intel from inside the program? Interesting. Wish they’d post here lol

Reactions: Torg
Got it, thanks again for sharing. I assume you mean this is on their message board. So Hawkeye Insider has a contributor that has intel from inside the program? Interesting. Wish they’d post here lol
Yes, not just some random poster. Comments from 2 of their staff members on the same thread. I believe one of those two had the 1st post confirming the Lucy Olsen commitment.

Yes, not just some random poster. Comments from 2 of their staff members on the same thread. I believe one of those two had the 1st post confirming the Lucy Olsen commitment.
Ah got it — I was confusing them with another Hawkeye news site lol I recall this one now. I feel like their source might be in the Swarm actually?

Reactions: HIWILLE
"Update" approx an hour ago:

'Iowa is trying to get her on campus and there have been positive conversations.'

I guess that's better than, "Whoops, we messed up. She's actually talking to Idaho."
The real question is, if nothing else, why this target and why now? No news in weeks with tons of centers / forwards coming and going in the portal and now this out of nowhere? Aiming rather high as well…

Reactions: HawkGem11
The real question is, if nothing else, why this target and why now? No news in weeks with tons of centers / forwards coming and going in the portal and now this out of nowhere? Aiming rather high as well…
My thought as well. I've looked all over to find a sniff of this elsewhere and come up dry, that's why I entertained the thought of poor due diligence on hearsay. But with the post today reinforcing contact and possible mutual interest, there must be something to it.

Reactions: nwhawkincr
My thought as well. I've looked all over to find a sniff of this elsewhere and come up dry, that's why I entertained the thought of poor due diligence on hearsay. But with the post today reinforcing contact and possible mutual interest, there must be something to it.
Another real question…if this is true, she can’t be the only F/C Iowa has reached out to. Why no whispers about others? Thanks again for sharing.

If we’ve reached out to her we have to be reaching out to others as well. She is an insanely hot commodity…we must have other irons in the fire…
Yesterday I asked the Hawkeye Insider staff member about a comment he made about multiple visits when speaking about Dauda. I asked, "Multiple visits BY Dauda (other schools) or multiple visitors TO Iowa?" He replied multiple visits BY Dauda.

Didn't seem like he was aware of other visitors coming.

Yesterday I asked the Hawkeye Insider staff member about a comment he made about multiple visits when speaking about Dauda. I asked, "Multiple visits BY Dauda (other schools) or multiple visitors TO Iowa?" He replied multiple visits BY Dauda.

Didn't seem like he was aware of other visitors coming.
Wow thanks for sharing all this. Just one question tho — are you saying she has made / plans to make multiple visits to Iowa City?

Reactions: HIWILLE
Wow thanks for sharing all this. Just one question tho — are you saying she has made / plans to make multiple visits to Iowa City?
I'm sorry, my comments didn't convey my thoughts clearly.

1) Visits to multiple schools by Dauda
2) Iowa is a school she's considering
3) No known visit to Iowa scheduled
4) No knowledge of other targets for Iowa

The staff member also made a comment a day or two ago stating Dauda wasn't on an urgent schedule. 'Taking her time' kind of wording.

Another real question…if this is true, she can’t be the only F/C Iowa has reached out to. Why no whispers about others? Thanks again for sharing.
I thought you told all of us know nothings that Iowa didn't need a portal big and wouldn't be reaching out to anyone. 🙄

Someone on Reddit suggested Feuerbach might be a good candidate to become a walk-on. Do we know, did she ever have an OV?
I know the NCAA isn't enforcing anything on the NIL front, but I'm highly skeptical they'd allow a player that was on scholarship for multiple years to become a walk-on. That's pretty clear scholarship limit manipulation. If a new player comes in as a "walk-on" there's at least an argument it's legitimate.

I know the NCAA isn't enforcing anything on the NIL front, but I'm highly skeptical they'd allow a player that was on scholarship for multiple years to become a walk-on. That's pretty clear scholarship limit manipulation. If a new player comes in as a "walk-on" there's at least an argument it's legitimate.
Brad from the Swarm collective has suggested that it would be possible to have NIL scholarships for 5th year football players, if Iowa would otherwise end up over the 85 scholarship limit in the fall. Consistent with the push a decade or so ago for the 4-yr guaranteed scholarship.

I guess I figured Iowa would at minimum have to pay for her visit to campus, which would be an OV and therefore preclude her from becoming a Walk-On. But maybe...Swarm can pay for it instead and have it remain unofficial?

Last edited:
I guess while heck yes it would be a nice get just not sure how she passes on the other schools with a crap ton more $$$$ NIL to offer

Pretty sure this is allowed, I remember Doug McDermott doing exactly this to keep Grant Gibbs on scholarship for his sixth year at Creighton. Story

Reactions: jockos and shikreto
I guess while heck yes it would be a nice get just not sure how she passes on the other schools with a crap ton more $$$$ NIL to offer
Good point but it seems this whole thing is only happening bc of a significant NIL gift. Perhaps that includes a sizeable chunk of $$$ to go directly to the player. It would also explain why she is even giving us the time of day at this point with so many offers. I can't imagine us even reaching out to her without something impressive to set us apart from the crowd.

Last edited:
Good point but it seems this whole thing is only happening bc of a significant NIL gift. Perhaps that includes a sizeable chunk of $$$ to go directly to the player.
I guess if true that would change things if they have a big enough NIL gift to get her here

Reactions: shikreto
I guess if true that would change things if they have a big enough NIL gift to get her here
Until we hear about someone leaving the team / Ava Jones retiring, it would seem this is really the only option. Chatter on Hawkeye Report board (seemingly stemming from a Swarm insider) supports this as well.

Well that certainly seems like proof positive they can do it. Not sure what good a scholarship limit is if you can do this, but that's the NCAA for you.

There are still rules and not all athletes on scholarships can become walk-ons. Official information is difficult to find but I was able to find a website around this time last year that was geared toward parents of student athletes and it had some vague info. It was not official but it was well-written and not weird clickbait junk.

I don't remember everything but I'm fairly sure that, if nothing else, if a student was "officially" recruited (meaning, for example, they took an official visit) they cannot become a walk-on. Other stipulations regarding "official" recruitment have to do with how and where communications with coaches took place before signing a letter of intent.

Last edited:
Until we hear about someone leaving the team / Ava jones retiring, it would seem this is really the only option. Chatter on Hawkeye Report board supports this as well.
well getting her would be a huge get also and make them legit contender again IMHO

Until we hear about someone leaving the team / Ava Jones retiring, it would seem this is really the only option. Chatter on Hawkeye Report board (seemingly stemming from a Swarm insider) supports this as well.

There are still rules and not all athletes on scholarships can become walk-ons. Official information is difficult to find but I was able to find a website around this time last year that was geared toward parents of student athletes and it had some vague info. It was not official but it was well-written and not weird clickbait junk.

I don't remember everything but I'm fairly sure that, if nothing else, if a student was "officially" recruited (meaning, for example, they took an official visit) they cannot become a walk-on. Other stipulations regarding "official" recruitment have to do with how and where communications with coaches took place before signing a letter of intent.
It seems like it would be pretty easy for teams to use the portal to get around any rule about players becoming a walk-on.

For instance, say Player A is on the team, on scholarship. Player A puts their name in the portal. The team then fills the vacant scholarship with Player B. Player A then announces they want to return to the school. But the school no longer has a scholarship available, so Player A agrees to walk on.

Maybe there are rules in place to prohibit this.

I wonder, if she committed, does that have an impact on someone like Ediger to look elsewhere?

I wonder, if she committed, does that have an impact on someone like Ediger to look elsewhere?
I recall a post a month or two back where someone stated that Ediger was really happy with her major at Iowa. Seemed to insinuate she was okay with limited minutes while pursuing her degree. Definitely not a quote from her saying this, though.

Reactions: HIWILLE and mphawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT