ADVERTISEMENT

Jax Forrest upset in PIAA Regional final

Also might show that sometimes the young studs plateau/don’t develop/burn out/etc. Remains to be seen of course but always be wary of stud junior high kids.
And be extra wary of the young studs that beat Luke Stanich, Brett Unger, Colton Camacho, Jett Strickenberger, Brendan McCrone, Tristan Lujan while they are a freshman/sophomore in HS.

And be extra wary of the young studs that beat Luke Stanich, Brett Unger, Colton Camacho, Jett Strickenberger, Brendan McCrone, Tristan Lujan while they are a freshman/sophomore in HS.

Stop It Neil Patrick Harris GIF

If you check PA wrestling, they have the commitment for each state qualifier. I looked, but can't remember what I saw for him.

In an attempt to clear things up.

States = The State Championship Tournament as in "He's going to States"
To win States = The State Champion as in "He won States"

State = A territory or jurisdiction as in "Iowa is a State"
To win State = not defined as in "nobody uses this expression"

In an attempt to clear things up.

States = The State Championship Tournament as in "He's going to States"
To win States = The State Champion as in "He won States"

State = A territory or jurisdiction as in "Iowa is a State"
To win State = not defined as in "nobody uses this expression"
In Illinois it’s called “State” as well. We don’t refer to it as “States”

In Illinois it’s called “State” as well. We don’t refer to it as “States”
It's a joke that few here seem to get. If you lived in North Jersey you would eat Taylor Ham and if you lived in South Jersey you would eat Pork Roll.

To be clear, I was only in it for the joke part of the back and forth. Even though I prefer "State", I really don't care what you call it. In fact, could at least see an argument for those that call it "States", if that particular state hosts multiple division state tournaments at the same location. I could then see you call it "States" since there is more than 1 at the same time...

Reactions: PSUer1989
I understand the argument why people call it "states", we pluralize basically every other tournament (sectionals, districts, regionals, nationals, Big Ten's, etc). So logically, we should call it "states" as well.

But my counterpoint is this: "states" just sounds weird to say. That's why it is "state".

I understand the argument why people call it "states", we pluralize basically every other tournament (sectionals, districts, regionals, nationals, Big Ten's, etc). So logically, we should call it "states" as well.

But my counterpoint is this: "states" just sounds weird to say. That's why it is "state".
But you have multiple regionals, sectionals, districts tournaments so it makes sense to pluralize whereas each state tournament is made up of a single state.

Reactions: BGon4ND and el dub
You don't win "states" tournament unless there are multiple states involved. You win the state tournament. You could say you won your state's weight class - but that would require proper use of grammer. You don't win an Olympics Gold Medal, you win an Olympic Gold Medal. Because it's one thing. You go to the Olympics because there are - you guessed it - multiple sports.

But if you want to call it states because that's what you do, then have at it.

You don't win "states" tournament unless there are multiple states involved. You win the state tournament. You could say you won your state's weight class - but that would require proper use of grammer. You don't win an Olympics Gold Medal, you win an Olympic Gold Medal. Because it's one thing. You go to the Olympics because there are - you guessed it - multiple sports.

But if you want to call it states because that's what you do, then have at it.
how many nations compete at Nationals?

Reactions: PSUer1989
I always got made fun of for calling it states when I was in the Army. Never was able to change it. Even the headlines in the papers here call it states.

This is a low key brag, but my son qualified for states this year. Trying not to be a douchebag dad, but really pumped!!

how many nations compete at Nationals?
You don't win a Nationals Title - you win a National Title. How many states are involved in your "states" tournament? I can do this all day if you want or you can just take my last sentence in my original post about this and let it go.

Reactions: el dub
You don't win a Nationals Title - you win a National Title. How many states are involved in your "states" tournament? I can do this all day if you want or you can just take my last sentence in my original post about this and let it go.
yeah... No one says states title. it's state title that you win at states.

just like its a national title that you win at nationals

I always got made fun of for calling it states when I was in the Army. Never was able to change it. Even the headlines in the papers here call it states.

This is a low key brag, but my son qualified for states this year. Trying not to be a douchebag dad, but really pumped!!
Nothing douchebag about being proud of your son. Unless you act like a douche.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT