ADVERTISEMENT

Jax Forrest upset in PIAA Regional final

No, it most certainly does NOT. The host literally uses those words in the title. Please show me ANYWHERE the host uses "States". We will all wait patiently for you to provide such....

Editted to add: The more I look I am not even sure the host uses Worlds, which certainly doesn't help your argument. WIth that said, you can call it what you want. That isn't even the issue. Just don't act like it is the right way and/or the ONLY way...

If you go to Kansas City to watch wrestling in two weekends, are you going to "National" or "Nationals"? Basically, are you renting a car or going to watch wrestling?

By the way, it's all in good fun and a funny wrestling argument that has gone on for years. I just don't see the logic of calling them Sections, Districts, Regions, Nationals, Worlds, Olympics..................and State. Do I really care what anyone calls it, of course not. I just know those calling it State are doing it wrong. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Pennstate1985
Still going.

giphy.gif

I actually grew up calling it pop, but, I now call it soda.

Western PA calls it Pop, Eastern PA calls it Soda.

There are areas down south that call all brands of soda "Coke". That one is really weird.

Coke. I live in South Carolina. You order a Coke and you might get Pepsi. Coke is generic here.
Much better discussion than State vs. States. Especially when everyone that wrestled really knows it is undeniably State….😉

Reactions: T8KUDWN
Oh, and in Michigan just about everyone calls it pop. I, however, will try to say soda when I am anywhere else or talking to someone I know is not a Michigander.

So, you are one of those. So, essentially, someone can say "What kind of Coke do you want?" and you can say "Dr. Pepper"?
Coke is generic for Coke and Pepsi here. If you want Dr Pepper you have to ask for Dr Pepper or anything else. I'm from PA and where I lived it was soda. If you say soda down here, they will let you know what they carry (Coke or Pepsi) and wait for your response. If you say Coke, they will tell you if they only carry Pepsi, and you decide.

Its a collective noun. Just because you call Olympics, Olympics doesn't mean everything in wrestling needs to end in an S.

In high school I was in band and also won state. My father had cattle

Not

I was in bands, won states and father had cattles.

Bob is on the board at work. Not Bob is on the boards at work.

Reactions: BGon4ND and T8KUDWN
Its a collective noun. Just because you call Olympics, Olympics doesn't mean everything in wrestling needs to end in an S.

In high school I was in band and also won state. My father had cattle

Not

I was in bands, won states and father had cattles.

Bob is on the board at work. Not Bob is on the boards at work.

Got it, so it's Sectionals, Districts, Regionals, Nationals, Worlds, Olympics..........and State

That makes complete sense.

krule-john-c-reilly.gif

Reactions: dbldoofus
Got it, so it's Sectionals, Districts, Regionals, Nationals, Worlds, Olympics..........and State

That makes complete sense.

krule-john-c-reilly.gif
It is clear you don't understand grammar, more specifically, singular versus plural in context of a singular championship event.

Read these aloud and tell me that sounds correct:

Sectionals Championship
Districts Championship
Nationals Championship
Worlds Championship
Olympics Games
States Championship

A simple test for a PSU smooth brain.

Reactions: T8KUDWN
It is clear you don't understand grammar, more specifically, singular versus plural in context of a singular championship event.

Read these aloud and tell me that sounds correct:

Sectionals Championship
Districts Championship
Nationals Championship
Worlds Championship
Olympics Games
States Championship

A simple test for a PSU smooth brain.

Sections is short for Sectional Championships
Districts is short for District Championships
Nationals is short for National Championships
Worlds is short for World Championships