ADVERTISEMENT

Johnson makes his long-awaited move on Ukraine as House plans to vote on separate aid packages

binsfeldcyhawk2

HR Legend
Gold Member
Oct 13, 2006
Well, this will be interesting.

CNN —
Speaker Mike Johnson announced Monday evening the House will take up separate bills this week to provide aid for Israel and Ukraine, heeding demands from the far right to keep the issues separate as the threat of a vote to oust him from the speakership looms.

The long-awaited decision by Johnson marks a pivotal moment for the Louisiana Republican as he has faced intense pressure from his conference over how he would handle foreign aid to the key US allies.

Johnson predicted the House will vote Friday evening on the separate bills.

I am still skeptical this is on the up and up- the Dems had asked that they just vote on the Senate bill passed months ago that combined these now separate bills. This could be more stalling or an attempt to screw over Ukraine once again.

I am still skeptical this is on the up and up- the Dems had asked that they just vote on the Senate bill passed months ago that combined these now separate bills. This could be more stalling or an attempt to screw over Ukraine once again.
I think Johnson (R's) want to separate the bills so certain members can vote no on Ukraine and yes to Israel/Taiwan. It's the only way to get it through at this point given the MTG faction.

There's enough votes between D's and R's to get all the packages through. Just have to bring them to a vote.

There will be a lot of R no's on Ukraine and most of the Israel no's will be D. That's my prediction anyway...

I think Johnson (R's) want to separate the bills so certain members can vote no on Ukraine and yes to Israel/Taiwan. It's the only way to get it through at this point given the MTG faction.

There's enough votes between D's and R's to get all the packages through. Just have to bring them to a vote.

There will be a lot of R no's on Ukraine and most of the Israel no's will be D. That's my prediction anyway...
Could’ve done this months ago

True dat.

But McCarthy had to go :rolleyes:
It's your party, Bro, and it was McCarthy who cut the deal that led to his downfall. Are we supposed to weep for Kevin McCarthy? He cultivated the nuts. He's the one who recruited many of them to help take back the House, and shockingly the syphilitic monkeys ate his face.

It's your party, Bro, and it was McCarthy who cut the deal that led to his downfall. Are we supposed to weep for Kevin McCarthy? He cultivated the nuts. He's the one who recruited many of them to help take back the House, and shockingly the syphilitic monkeys ate his face.
I'm not a Republican, so not my party.

Having said that, I would have rather had McCarthy stay in the seat. Agreeing to the one person rule was pretty stupid.

Screw over Ukraine? Really?

Separate bills is how it should be. It will be easier to cull the Senate bill of all the BS having nothing to do with their war with Russia.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT