ADVERTISEMENT

Kennedy blew it

His first match is the epitome of what I said the other day about how we need to wrestle the championship bracket with the mentality we always seem to wrestle with on the backside.

Easier said than done…..and Kennedy wasn’t the only guy to come out flat 1st round, get upset, and then come out like a ball of fire in his next match (see Nagao, Kasak).

Let’s see how today goes before crucifying Kennedy. He has a long haul ahead of him to make consi semis, but it seemed like his head was on straight last night.

PK definitely screwed up by not staying on the attack in the 3rd with Eischens sucking air bad. He lost. Sucks. He came back with a great match last night. He is a Hawk and will always have my support. Hope he keeps it rolling today an finds his way to the round of 12 and CS sitting there after a defeat to Mekhi! Then you haters can finally calm yourselves down. GO HAWKS!!!!

He just crushed the #5 guy on the back side, you guys are F**king idiots! the tournament is not over
He blew it. Love the kid, but man, what dumb wrestling. He'd be in the quarters this morning in a very winnable match, instead he's on the backside and just to AA, he's going to have to beat either Star or Lewis. Likely gonna cost us 2nd place.

Reactions: TarpHawk
I can relate
My friend, nobody said that Kennedy doesn't give it his all, but in that match he did blow it. He took his foot of the gas and let his opponent regroup and subsequently win. Kennedy has a good engine and needs to keep that baby revved for 7 minutes. I love Kennedy and was probably the loudest voice on hear telling everyone that Kennedy was going to replace Caliendo at 65 even after Caliendo beat him soundly. I was that confident that PK was that much better, and I still think he's a beast. But his wrestling style at times is horrible, and that first match had "horrible" on full display. He got the lead and then went into prevent offense, a known Iowa recipe for disaster. He was beating a weaker opponent who was gassed and instead of staying on his offense he went into pure defense mode (aka prevent offense) and lost. It might not be all his fault as it feels like we've been seeing that quite often in recent years, but regardless he did blow it. I'm hoping he can wrestle like he did after the loss and at least make it back to the podium! He's too good not to achieve AA in his career!

I'm not saying Kennedy will, but if he does get starocci in the blood round. He for sure could win if he gets the first takedown and stays aggressive, doesn't go on bottom and doesn't just fall on his ass like sparks and Kemp.
If he gets Lewis though. I dont see him winning at all

You think so?
Yeah I’m not as convinced. If he’s done with college then I could see him forfeiting but if he has even the slightest notion that he wants to return I think he wrestles. If he wrestles I want to see pk attacking that right leg. The only two times he’s been touched there he’s given up the takedown without much of a contest. Sucks that Star is hurt, don’t like to see it, but make him wrestle through adversity.

So will it be after this round or next round that Starr takes everyone in his weight class outside and whips them one right after another????? Isn't that the jist of what he stated the other day ? Line them all up and he would beat them all, each one right after the last one.

Guys like PK make me think we’re slacking big time on the sports psychology aspect. Our guys just wrestle so tight on the front side of brackets; they look like they’re scared to do anything on the front side. Once they get bounced to the backside it’s night and day difference. It’s the same all the time. I wish they would put more emphasis on this role.

I'm not saying Kennedy will, but if he does get starocci in the blood round. He for sure could win if he gets the first takedown and stays aggressive, doesn't go on bottom and doesn't just fall on his ass like sparks and Kemp.
If he gets Lewis though. I dont see him winning at all
Who has Lewis beat in the past 4 years to make you think Pat can't beat him? I have not looked at Wreststat admittedly but Mekhi is a paper tiger at this point IMO.

Guys like PK make me think we’re slacking big time on the sports psychology aspect. Our guys just wrestle so tight on the front side of brackets; they look like they’re scared to do anything on the front side. Once they get bounced to the backside it’s night and day difference. It’s the same all the time. I wish they would put more emphasis on this role.

Reactions: tiltman
Wrestling is just as much mental as it is physical.

There have been more than a handful of times this week where you say to yourself..."WTF was he thinking" and that pertains to more guys than just PK.

It just really sucks to lose an entire team placement because of lack of strategy. It's not just him either, team thing. Get better and stop sitting and waiting til the end of matches and losing to inferior wrestlers.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT