ADVERTISEMENT

Kirk said postgame yesterday the coaches need to be experts!!! Hmmm

uihawk82

HR All-American
Nov 17, 2021
A Kirk quote from his yesterday postgame presser "“First of all, I want a guy who is going to be a really good team player,” Ferentz said. “Obviously, they have to have expertise in their area, like all of our coaches."

Now if he really has that goal of hiring coaches with expertise in their area then why the hell did he promote his son Brian. with no OC experience or expertise, to OC in 2017. The team, the players, the fans suffered from Kirk doing this. And I really have to question Kirk about the truthfulness of that quote, at least in 2017.

A Kirk quote from his yesterday postgame presser "“First of all, I want a guy who is going to be a really good team player,” Ferentz said. “Obviously, they have to have expertise in their area, like all of our coaches."

Now if he really has that goal of hiring coaches with expertise in their area then why the hell did he promote his son Brian. with no OC experience or expertise, to OC in 2017. The team, the players, the fans suffered from Kirk doing this. And I really have to question Kirk about the truthfulness of that quote, at least in 2017.
Ferentz has poured so much of his own Kool-Aid over the last 10 years or so that he‘s drowing in it.

He's crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think being a "really good team player" is his number 1 hiring criteria. I just hope that is not code for, "Doing exactly what I want to do, without question." To me, being a good "team player" is recognizing what your strengths and weaknesses are and finding team members who can fill in for your weaknesses for the benefit of the team, without compromising your strengths or values.

I think being a "really good team player" is his number 1 hiring criteria. I just hope that is not code for, "Doing exactly what I want to do, without question." To me, being a good "team player" is recognizing what your strengths and weaknesses are and finding team members who can fill in for your weaknesses for the benefit of the team, without compromising your strengths or values.
Yep, that's the part that jumped out at me and I think it 100% means "doing exactly what I want."

And why did he hire Tim Polasek to coach the offensive line.....a position he had never coached before?

Reactions: pink shizzle

So I wonder if this infers that he still wants to keep all of the remaining offensive staff.

If so I think the offensive train wreck continues.

i was under the impression that the oc hire is sealed and delivered with announcement to be made after the bowl shellacking. am i reading too much in thinking that this interview gives the impression that search is ongoing?

i was under the impression that the oc hire is sealed and delivered with announcement to be made after the bowl shellacking. am i reading too much in thinking that this interview gives the impression that search is ongoing?
Kirk said he wanted candidates to come in for formal discussions. Assume this week or next.

Reactions: desihawk
KF is in a tough position. Next year the offense is good, people then know his son sucked. Next year the offense is bad, people then know that Kirk sucks. Obviously the first option is much easier to deal with for him but what he will say is 'our starters are healthy this year' and then move onto the next question.

At least part of the confusion comes from assuming that what he says in pressers is meaningful. If you take the approach that it's mostly nonsense coach speak, that clears a lot of it up.

KF is in a tough position. Next year the offense is good, people then know his son sucked. Next year the offense is bad, people then know that Kirk sucks. Obviously the first option is much easier to deal with for him but what he will say is 'our starters are healthy this year' and then move onto the next question.
We already know that Kirk sucks. Offense doing good would mean Kirk finally learned to stay away from all phases of coaching.

• Haha
Reactions: BetterLuckNextTime
KF is a good coach known particularly for his work with offensive linemen. You would think, given our struggles the last few years in that area, that he would be more hands on and perhaps it would help the entire offense. As far as playcalling goes, I'm afraid he is stuck in the 1950's and has demonstrated this fault to the point that other DCs know exactly what to expect from Iowa. That's playing with one arm tied behind your back.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT