ADVERTISEMENT

Lester+Budmayr > Ferentz+Copeland

Our offense was poor the last few years, actually bad. With that said, we needed positive change and I think these two hires will get us there. I know the naysayers will piss and moan, they whine about everything Kirk goes. I am willing to see how it goes. Can't be any worse.

Why the optimism?

Lester's offense is still aligned to a degree with what Iowa ran previously. Significant change can be unsettling to current players. He uses TE's which is critical at Iowa. He also wants to run the ball, another critical component of our offense. He spreads his WR's out to improve spacing and open the middle of the field to run the ball and for slants. Weather is always an issue come late October, so pass first offenses struggle later in the season.

I see Budmayr being the head phones guy on the field with Lester in the press box. His OC/QB experience will be helpful during gameday.

Read a column from a Western Michigan reporter who said Lester was a good recruiter. Budmayr seems to have the ability to connect to recruits also. They are from the Chicago area so they should help us in that area. Not to mention Lester and Budmayr have coached in the midwest for most of their career so they should strengthen our recruiting in the midwest.

The fact that almost half of Big Ten teams have QB's as WR coaches (I believe I read 8), should show that you don't need a WR to coach that position.

Kirk is right when he says synergy between coaches is critical. I trust Kirk to know whether someone can coach.

Sorry for the positive post to all the Debbie Downers.

Go Hawks!
Holy shit some one actually used critical thinking into the assessment of this hire. Good job sir.

This thread is off the rails anyway, so the Manning Bros tweets about Clark's record..............

2-time Super Bowl champion Peyton Manning​

"Look, when I played, I hated settling for three points but you’ve actually turned me into a huge fan of the three. Not an easy task and I know you’ve inspired millions of other people along the way. Great job. Congratulations again. Proud of you."

2-time Super Bowl champion Eli Manning​

"It’s been so impressive to watch you perform throughout your career, although, if I’m being honest, your accuracy from long range has made a lot of other quarterbacks look pretty bad. Just letting you know that. … Can’t wait to see what’s next."

Our offense was poor the last few years, actually bad. With that said, we needed positive change and I think these two hires will get us there. I know the naysayers will piss and moan, they whine about everything Kirk goes. I am willing to see how it goes. Can't be any worse.

Why the optimism?

Lester's offense is still aligned to a degree with what Iowa ran previously. Significant change can be unsettling to current players. He uses TE's which is critical at Iowa. He also wants to run the ball, another critical component of our offense. He spreads his WR's out to improve spacing and open the middle of the field to run the ball and for slants. Weather is always an issue come late October, so pass first offenses struggle later in the season.

I see Budmayr being the head phones guy on the field with Lester in the press box. His OC/QB experience will be helpful during gameday.

Read a column from a Western Michigan reporter who said Lester was a good recruiter. Budmayr seems to have the ability to connect to recruits also. They are from the Chicago area so they should help us in that area. Not to mention Lester and Budmayr have coached in the midwest for most of their career so they should strengthen our recruiting in the midwest.

The fact that almost half of Big Ten teams have QB's as WR coaches (I believe I read 8), should show that you don't need a WR to coach that position.

Kirk is right when he says synergy between coaches is critical. I trust Kirk to know whether someone can coach.

Sorry for the positive post to all the Debbie Downers.

Go Hawks!
I knew it would only be a matter of time--really short window for some--before the KF bootlickers would have themselves convinced that another absolute staffing debacle by the Dean would be some sort of master stroke. 🤡 I guess a D+ isn't F....but you won't be on the dean's list this fall with this type of performance. Of course, we can still "win a lot of games".........against the likes of Ill State, Moo U, Troy and Turdue before playing in the prestigious Joe Shit The Rag Man Bowl!

This thread is off the rails anyway, so the Manning Bros tweets about Clark's record..............

2-time Super Bowl champion Peyton Manning​

"Look, when I played, I hated settling for three points but you’ve actually turned me into a huge fan of the three. Not an easy task and I know you’ve inspired millions of other people along the way. Great job. Congratulations again. Proud of you."

2-time Super Bowl champion Eli Manning​

"It’s been so impressive to watch you perform throughout your career, although, if I’m being honest, your accuracy from long range has made a lot of other quarterbacks look pretty bad. Just letting you know that. … Can’t wait to see what’s next."
Peyton had a good run...but these guys just aren't funny any more.

My reason for hope that they will do well? Because they are not a-holes. It seems they are both well liked and respected in the coaching community. Like it or not, those that know them and are in the same profession as them are probably the best ones to decide the talent levels and what kind of coaches they are. So if they all have pretty much nothing but good things to say, I am willing to see how it goes. I am not immune to the need to see vast improvement fast though. I mean look, we could not really even move the ball that well against bad teams. So I guess when you are at the bottom those first steps in getting back up are always the biggest. (in my mind anyway). A jog seems like a pretty good pace when you have been on crutches for awhile. Not asking them to run just yet, but a jog would be nice. Somewhere in around #65 total offense should be attainable and a pretty good goal to have. That means the second year, we might be able to crack the top 40. If we keep our defense to the level it has been at, who knows what will happen.

Reactions: uihawk82
The more I hear about Lester, the more positive I'm becoming about his potential. That said, the weight on his shoulders to fix this offense, and fix it quickly, will be immense. Is the Lester/Budmayr a net positive? On paper, yes. We still have a WR room in disarray and an OL that's regressed the last few years.

At the end of the day, fixing the OL and WR rooms will be a huge responsibility for Lester to fix as both position coaches are either unproven or a net negative. Hopefully, KF will quit backseat driving enough to see what this system is capable of.

My reason for hope that they will do well? Because they are not a-holes. It seems they are both well liked and respected in the coaching community. Like it or not, those that know them and are in the same profession as them are probably the best ones to decide the talent levels and what kind of coaches they are.
I have nothing against optimism, but you're reaching here. For example - who in the coaching community ever came out and said and said anything bad about BF? If no coach publicly badmouthed the worst OC/QB in college football history, then I don't think that's much of a measuring stick.

I'll take a shot at next steps.

1. Lester will be spending a lot of time meeting with asst. coaches. Budmayr - discuss QB's and WR's. Strengths and areas of concern
Barnett - O-line areas of concern, what blocking schemes for Lesters offense. He should also discuss traing with Brathwaite. Betts has a solid stable of RB's, develop strategies to get our backs into open spacing (toss sweeps, screens, and pass plays). Hodge also has some solid TE talent. Lachey's return was huge and Ostrenga should continue to improve. Discuss how TE's fit Lester's offense.

2. Lester will be implementing his RBO (Relationships Before Opportunity) approach with the players. Building strong relationships before and during spring ball will be critical. I expect there may be some fall out and transfers, always happens with change.

3. Spring practice and kids day should provide our first insight into what kind of changes will be made. Not having Cade in spring ball, limits what we might see in the fall. It will be interesting to see how Hill and Lainez progress this spring.

We will then have a better feel.
I really hope that Hill is shown the door and they bring in a QB better suited to RPO.

Reactions: BrotherHawkeye
You think a guy with the worst pocket awareness of any QB I have ever seen would be able to make the quick decisions necessary to run an RPO, especially one in which the QB keeping the ball and running is a non-factor?
Do you think they’d really incorporate running the ball with him? He’s not reading the pocket, either - It’s one read down field. Throw it or hand it off.

• Haha
Reactions: MeetTheFerentzes
Do you think they’d really incorporate running the ball with him? He’s not reading the pocket, either - It’s one read down field. Throw it or hand it off.
Ok, you've convinced me. It would be AWESOME having a QB who can't run (and can hardly move) and with a long history of being turnover prone and making poor decisions running a newly-incorporated RPO offense for Iowa. 😂 😂 😂 😂

Ok, you've convinced me. It would be AWESOME having a QB who can't run (and can hardly move) and with a long history of being turnover prone and making poor decisions running a newly-incorporated RPO offense for Iowa. 😂 😂 😂 😂
Never once did I say I wanted Hill as the QB or that I didn't want a mobile QB....holy hell man, that's what you gleaned from that?

Never once did I say I wanted Hill as the QB or that I didn't want a mobile QB....holy hell man, that's what you gleaned from that?
You asked what would prevent Deacon from running an RPO. You have been given multiple solid answers. The fact that you’re pushing back against those answers implies that you think he would do a good job. If that’s not the case, then why ask in the first place?

You asked what would prevent Deacon from running an RPO. You have been given multiple solid answers. The fact that you’re pushing back against those answers implies that you think he would do a good job. If that’s not the case, then why ask in the first place?
The only "solid" answer given to me was DH's ability to make quick decisions within the RPO system reads, which none of us know right now. The RPO system does not require QBs to run, it's a plus if they can (like any offense) but listing DH's mobility is silly, with regards to the RPO system itself. My original reply was to a comment inferring DH cannot run an RPO system. He can run the RPO...how well remains to be seen. So far noone has given me an actual reason he can't.

• Haha
Reactions: MeetTheFerentzes
Honestly, I find the premise of the original post to be pretty defeatist and lazy. Is the standard for what we were expecting in the two hires (OC and WR coach) just that they be better than the two guys who had a big hand in putting forth the worst offense in college football for the last 2.5 years? That's kinda pathetic.

The question should be, are the 2 hires that Kirk made good enough to help propel us into the newly expanded playoffs? Based on their background and prior history (which is all we have to go on currently), I'd say the answer is "No"....but I'm certainly willing to give them a chance to prove me wrong.

But to say that "well, they're better than the worst" is a pretty low bar and not a standard we should be using to judge whether they were a good hire or not.

Reactions: dadster and DewHawk
What would happen if Hill drops that 40 lb. tire around his mid-section? He definitely would be faster and quicker. Certainly has the arm strength, now he needs a good QB coach to help him with touch passes. Not sure anyone can fix his fumblitis though. Hoping Lainez takes a big step forward and becomes the guy if McNamara can't get back.

Honestly, I find the premise of the original post to be pretty defeatist and lazy. Is the standard for what we were expecting in the two hires (OC and WR coach) just that they be better than the two guys who had a big hand in putting forth the worst offense in college football for the last 2.5 years? That's kinda pathetic.

The question should be, are the 2 hires that Kirk made good enough to help propel us into the newly expanded playoffs? Based on their background and prior history (which is all we have to go on currently), I'd say the answer is "No"....but I'm certainly willing to give them a chance to prove me wrong.

But to say that "well, they're better than the worst" is a pretty low bar and not a standard we should be using to judge whether they were a good hire or not.
We know Lester and the WR and OLine coaches have a big job fixing those two units and the QB play. But I think if they can get the offense to be ranked 90-100th this year that could be a huge help to the defense. I am not expecting a 65th ranked offense but if it happens yowser.

What would happen if Hill drops that 40 lb. tire around his mid-section? He definitely would be faster and quicker. Certainly has the arm strength, now he needs a good QB coach to help him with touch passes. Not sure anyone can fix his fumblitis though. Hoping Lainez takes a big step forward and becomes the guy if McNamara can't get back.
You can fix the fumblitis by changing his windup/delivery so that he doesnt bring the ball down below his waist. He is an easy target for the strip sack fumble. I expect that Lester already knows he/lester needs to change that windup to one where he has the ball above his waist, hopefully more by his chest, ready to quickly draw it back past his helmet ear hole and pass it. In that position his left hand is very close to the ball to help hold on to it.

Or maybe he has small hands also which is uncoachable

You can fix the fumblitis by changing his windup/delivery so that he doesnt bring the ball down below his waist. He is an easy target for the strip sack fumble. I expect that Lester already knows he/lester needs to change that windup to one where he has the ball above his waist, hopefully more by his chest, ready to quickly draw it back past his helmet ear hole and pass it. In that position his left hand is very close to the ball to help hold on to it.

Or maybe he has small hands also which is uncoachable
Wondered about the hands. Most of the really good QB's have a short, compact release. He does bring the ball back too far.

Yes. Next question.

Kirk probably making those final edits on the offensive playbook about now with camp arriving very soon this month.

I knew it would only be a matter of time--really short window for some--before the KF bootlickers would have themselves convinced that another absolute staffing debacle by the Dean would be some sort of master stroke. 🤡 I guess a D+ isn't F....but you won't be on the dean's list this fall with this type of performance. Of course, we can still "win a lot of games".........against the likes of Ill State, Moo U, Troy and Turdue before playing in the prestigious Joe Shit The Rag Man Bowl!
LMAO, settle down clown.

I have to believe in Lester because he's all we've got. And because he's not Brian, I have reason for optimism. Also his undeniable success as a QB gives me hope as well. I still hold the belief our WR play will continue to remain the same because we didn't hire the right person for the job.

Reactions: hawkdave007

This is like the gf trying to change the guy to fit what she wants/expects. It never works. Other teams would just grab available QB’s from the portal who have a good arm and some mobility.

I think Lester's head coaching experience and offensive success during that time will be an asset in getting that whole side of the roster on the same page with a coherent identity and an ability to make adjustments based on the opponent's defense. We have a few good athletes in the WR room now, maybe a guy like Lester can draw up easy passes and receptions for them at times to make that black hole in our offense competent enough to move the chains and chew clock even if we can't score every drive. We showed flashes of being a capable rushing offense in 2023 with the talent on roster already and hopefully a guy with Lester's experience can nurture that and build on it in his scheme. Enjoy being a pessimist about Iowa football if you want, I'm going to look for improvement and remain hopeful we'll see it. I have more important things to be pessimistic about

Our BF offense was so bad that one could argue against good teams we would have been better burning 3 plays on purpose then punting. At least no turnovers or “chunk” losses.
About the only thing our offense had going for it was eating clock. I was happy if we could get to our 40 so Tory could pin the other team deep and our defense could possibly force a TO for an easy 3.

Reactions: BirdistheWord
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT