ADVERTISEMENT

LaPorta ONLY ROOKIE TE in NFL History w/ 70 Catches/700 Yds/8 TDs in a Season. Broke Lions' 55 Yr Old Record for Most Catches in a Season by Rookie TE

The Lions (9-3) beat the Saints (5-7), 33-28

Sam's stats today:
9 Targets
9 Catches
140 yards
1 Touchdown

GAuEb3jW4AAfFoZ

@EvilMonkeyInTheCloset , whatever happened to Coleslaw, aka @IowasLaw ?

On Pardon My Take, Rob Gronkowski said that Sam LaPorta is the NFL's version of 'Baby Gronk', aka the next big tight end in the league.

"He brings it to the table. He's having a great rookie year. To have a rookie year like that at the tight end position, not a lot of tight ends have great rookie years, because it's a tough position to understand, you have to block and catch as well. Sam LaPorta is bringing it to the table."

"He's fast, he's got great hands, he breaks tackles as well. He's the most similar guy who is up and coming that represents my game as well."

Source:

Reactions: VodkaSam
Sam currently ranks as the 5th best rookie.

The story from ESPN:

Best 2023 NFL rookies: Top 10 ranking, standouts, stats

The 2023 NFL rookie class has continued to impress through 14 weeks of the season. The Houston Texans' and Detroit Lions' impressive turnarounds have been spearheaded by their groups of talented first years, while Puka Nacua has continued to play a large role in the Los Angeles Rams' offense. And Jalen Carter and Devon Witherspoon have remained bright spots for their respective defenses.

With the season winding down, conversations about the Offensive and Defensive Rookie of the Year awards are beginning to erupt -- so we stacked the top rookies as things stand.

We polled five NFL analysts -- Matt Bowen, Jeff Legwold, Matt Miller, Brooke Pryor and Jordan Reid -- to make a consensus ranking of the top 10 rookies. The analysts also picked out which position group has stood out the most, explained how No. 1 overall pick Bryce Young can end his season on a high note, named a sneaky impact rookie for a playoff contender and identified an overperforming late-rounder and an underperforming first-rounder.

Let's begin with a player who shouldn't be surprising on this list because he has been the No. 1 choice since October.

i

1. C.J. Stroud, QB, Houston Texans

Stats: 3,631 passing yards, 20 TD passes, 5 INT; 3 rushing TDs, 143 rushing yards
Drafted: No. 2 overall

While Stroud has struggled the past two weeks against the Jets and Broncos -- he had a combined 52% completion percentage and a 12.5 QBR in those games -- he still has been the most impressive rookie this season. The Texans signal-caller is the consensus favorite for Offensive Rookie of the Year, and there have been some moments this season when he has been in the MVP conversation.

Through Week 14, Stroud was second in the league in passing yards, third in yards per attempt and tied for ninth in passing touchdowns. With poise in the pocket and great ball placement, he has surpassed expectations for his first season. -- Reid

i

2. Jalen Carter, DT, Philadelphia Eagles

Stats: 27 tackles, 2 forced fumbles, 4 sacks, 1 fumble recovery, 1 defensive TD
Drafted: No. 9 overall

Carter continues to get it done on the defensive front and seems like a lock for Defensive Rookie of the Year. He is already emerging as one of the best young defensive tackles in the league and playing better with each passing week. In Week 14, Carter scored the Eagles' second defensive touchdown of the season with a scoop-and-score 42-yard score.

With the rest of the regular season and a playoff run forthcoming, Carter can cement his status as the league's top defensive rookie. -- Miller

i

3. Devon Witherspoon, CB, Seattle Seahawks

Stats: 65 tackles, 3 sacks, 1 INT, 1 defensive TD, 12 pass breakups
Drafted: No. 5 overall

Before exiting Sunday's loss to the 49ers with what turned out to be a hip pointer, Witherspoon made the most of seven snaps, breaking up a pass intended for George Kittle and nearly picking off Brock Purdy. That's just the kind of season he is having for the Seahawks.

He is tied for sixth in passes defended (nine) and continues to be a great draft pick for Seattle. Witherspoon is allowing minus-6.3 receptions over expected, which is the second fewest among all cornerbacks, according to NFL Next Gen Stats. And it's not just what he's doing in coverage -- he has 13 defensive run stops, tied for the most among cornerbacks. -- Pryor

i

4. Puka Nacua, WR, Los Angeles Rams

Stats: 82 catches, 1,113 receiving yards, 4 TDs
Drafted: No. 177 overall

If the next two guys behind you in reception totals are Travis Kelce (80) and Davante Adams (76), you're having a top-tier season. With four games remaining, Nacua is on track to break the NFL's single-season record for catches by a rookie (Jaylen Waddle with 104 in 2021).

He also needs 287 receiving yards over the last four games to be the fourth rookie receiver to reach the 1,400 mark in a season (Ja'Marr Chase, Justin Jefferson and Bill Gorman). Nacua is ranked ninth in the NFL in yards after the catch (437), too. If he keeps up his current volume, he could threaten the greatest statistical rookie seasons ever at the position. -- Legwold

i

5. Sam LaPorta, TE, Detroit Lions

Stats: 66 catches, 702 receiving yards, 6 TDs
Drafted: No. 34 overall

LaPorta ranks fourth in the NFL among tight ends in receiving yards, trailing Travis Kelce, T.J. Hockenson and George Kittle. He has caught 66 of 93 (71%) targets this season to go with six touchdown receptions.

The rookie out of Iowa is a three-level target in the Lions' offensive system, where he can win man-to-man matchups or use his coverage awareness to find open grass against zone schemes. Plus, LaPorta is a willing blocker in the run game. I see some veteran traits from him. -- Bowen

The Full Story:

i

Last edited:
Reactions: drew_hawk
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT