ADVERTISEMENT

Little brother not so little anymore?

Aegon_Targaryen

HR All-American
Gold Member
Apr 19, 2014
I was in Ames for the first time in a long time and I drove by Jack Trice. It's much more impressive than it used to be.
Should we be worried? They already beat us regularly as it is.
The picture provided isn't nearly as impressive as it is in person. The glass in front is being done now. It's looks good, unfortunately.
3_Aerial_view_from_southwest.jpg

They surpassed us in basketball attendance this year. If they are ever able to put together a bowl caliber team, and based on their recruiting, they probably won't any time soon, then yes, we should be worried. They already beat us on the field and are much closer to the Des Moines population center.

I was in Ames for the first time in a long time and I drove by Jack Trice. It's much more impressive than it used to be.
The picture provided isn't nearly as impressive as it is in person. The glass in front is being done now. It's looks good, unfortunately.

Reactions: mtdew_fever
It isn't Kinnick and never will be. Our new football facility is light years ahead of theirs as well. The way most of our facilities are.

I am surprised that isu will have the 3rd largest stadium in the B12. I guess when they came up with the name of the conference it wasn't in reference to stadium size.

They surpassed us in basketball attendance this year. If they are ever able to put together a bowl caliber team, and based on their recruiting, they probably won't any time soon, then yes, we should be worried. They already beat us on the field and are much closer to the Des Moines population center.
Yes, and it shows these days. It's much more red and yellow in Des Moines than I remember.

It isn't Kinnick and never will be. Our new football facility is light years ahead of theirs as well. The way most of our facilities are.

I am surprised that isu will have the 3rd largest stadium in the B12. I guess when they came up with the name of the conference it wasn't in reference to stadium size.
Yes, what means something to one, means nothing to another though. Kinnick is special but Trice is a good looking stadium. I'm not sure what they are doing with the football facilities themselves, but the stadium is legit. Modern, sleek, and it appears to hold more than it actually does fan wise
I've noticed it also looks bigger and sounds louder than you'd expect on TV.
If they get a coach who can do more than rant and rave, they'll be an even bigger pain in the arse.

Yes, what means something to one, means nothing to another though. Kinnick is special but Trice is a good looking stadium. I'm not sure what they are doing with the football facilities themselves, but the stadium is legit. Modern, sleek, and it appears to hold more than it actually does fan wise
If they get a coach who can do more than rant and rave, they'll be an even bigger pain in the arse.

If they ever got a decent coach he would be using ISU as a stepping stone just like Hoiberg did. No decent coach is staying in Ames.

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/m_basketball_RB/Reports/attend/2014.pdf

isu had a great year and still didn't surpass us in attendance. Maybe next year they will though.

And conversely if Iowa gets................ well............anybody, as a Head Coach the results may be considerably different. Given Iowa has every single advantage known to man over Iowa State when it comes to Football.

Reactions: hwksforlife

When was the last time you were even in Kinnick? Aren't you bed ridden or something?

Reactions: BuckRussel
When was the last time you were even in Kinnick? Aren't you bed ridden or something?
Kinnick, looks better then ever, but it's lost some magic. At least that's what I've seen when I was there.
That f'n burrito lift I tell ya!!!

I doubt that 2014-15 was the first time that isu has surpassed Iowa in men's basketball attendance. However, it is noteworthy that a team that was hyped so greatly (preseason and throughout the year) was only able to draw less than 200 more fans per contest than lowly ole Iowa.

I am reminded about something in regards to putting lipstick and/or pouring perfume on a pig....

Reactions: LeatherCy
You are correct that it looks better in person. Here's a recent photo.
CJFTOYjUkAEOmwd.jpg

I doubt that 2014-15 was the first time that isu has surpassed Iowa in men's basketball attendance. However, it is noteworthy that a team that was hyped so greatly (preseason and throughout the year) was only able to draw less than 200 more fans per contest than lowly ole Iowa.
ISU MBB has outdrawn Iowa in 7 of the past 10 seasons -- without giving away free tickets to students, as Iowa has done. And the reason they've drawn only 200 more than Iowa is, in large part, due to capacity.

What's interesting is the numbers for women's hoops. Iowa had one of its greatest seasons in history while ISU was below-par and disappointing....but ISU attendance was almost double that at Iowa City.

But in all fairness, I concede that there is no comparison between the field hockey and rowing teams.

Reactions: D-Ram
CJFTOYjUkAEOmwd.jpg

ISU MBB has outdrawn Iowa in 7 of the past 10 seasons -- without giving away free tickets to students, as Iowa has done. And the reason they've drawn only 200 more than Iowa is, in large part, due to capacity.

What's interesting is the numbers for women's hoops. Iowa had one of its greatest seasons in history while ISU was below-par and disappointing....but ISU attendance was almost double that at Iowa City.

But in all fairness, I concede that there is no comparison between the field hockey and rowing teams.
CJFTOYjUkAEOmwd.jpg

CJFTOYjUkAEOmwd.jpg

In order: No free tickets to students??? How many tickets were sold at the amazingly low (bottom feeder low) prices that isu has promoted for years now (both basketball and football) in order to attain those lofty numbers? Perhaps a more accurate picture could be drawn utilizing actual revenues (gross and net) from men's basketball operations lest anyone think from your post that isu is doing all that much better than lowly Iowa. How about it, LC... care to venture down that path. {Be reminded of the line item featured in a news article recently that showed mighty isu spending nearly twice that of Iowa and over six fold what UNI allots to recruiting.}

Women's hoops? Please. The story is much the same as for the men's programs... isu went out and sold the show as a loss leader when Bill F. hit town. Nothing wrong with that; just do not try to make it what it is not.

How about wrestling? (Oh, I forgot the excuse about the 'capacity' issue!) Baseball? (My bad, how could I forget that isu can no longer afford to offer any more than a minimal number of athletic activities for its students?)

Last, but certainly not least, can you please repost your list of top ten attended games ever at Jack Trice. I so enjoy seeing that isu has managed to officially fill the place what, fewer than ten or so times ever throughout its illustrious history. Makes perfect sense to expand now.

Keep up the great work.... 90,000 cannot be that far off for you!

CJFTOYjUkAEOmwd.jpg

Iowa has out performed isu in the Directors Cup at a clip above 75% since its inception. Pretty sure field hockey and rowing aren't the reason why.

I guess LC is A OK with isu being a Women's Volleyball and Women's Cross-Country School. Must be as that is where a majority of their Directors Cup points come from.

Again why would anyone laugh at that?

In order: No free tickets to students??? How many tickets were sold at the amazingly low (bottom feeder low) prices that isu has promoted for years now (both basketball and football) in order to attain those lofty numbers? Perhaps a more accurate picture could be drawn utilizing actual revenues (gross and net) from men's basketball operations lest anyone think from your post that isu is doing all that much better than lowly Iowa. How about it, LC... care to venture down that path. {Be reminded of the line item featured in a news article recently that showed mighty isu spending nearly twice that of Iowa and over six fold what UNI allots to recruiting.}

Women's hoops? Please. The story is much the same as for the men's programs... isu went out and sold the show as a loss leader when Bill F. hit town. Nothing wrong with that; just do not try to make it what it is not.

How about wrestling? (Oh, I forgot the excuse about the 'capacity' issue!) Baseball? (My bad, how could I forget that isu can no longer afford to offer any more than a minimal number of athletic activities for its students?)

Last, but certainly not least, can you please repost your list of top ten attended games ever at Jack Trice. I so enjoy seeing that isu has managed to officially fill the place what, fewer than ten or so times ever throughout its illustrious history. Makes perfect sense to expand now.

Time for LC to run away and hide. But it would be entertaining to see him attempt to answer your questions.

Not sure if I should even bother to answer this sputtering. Clearly, you have no concept of what basketball tickets cost at Iowa State. Here's a hint: Call the ticket office and ask what it will cost you for season tickets that aren't in the balcony. Then get back to me. It's (515) 294-1816.

I think the stadium expansion is good for ISU. I think the designers did a nice job of fitting it into the main structure. I graduated from ISU but am a diehard Hawk for 35 + years. My journalism degree has served me well in my career ... I still despise everything that is ISU athletics but I appreciate the campus and the education I received. And, Jack Trice does now look more like a football stadium ... I no longer feel justified to talk smack about ISU athletics, especially when they regularly beat us ... or at least the programs are pretty much on the same level when it comes to football and basketball (when I say even level, I mean when we play one another) ... Kinnick is not what it used to be. Had season tickets for 10 years and the game-day experience changed so much that it was no longer fun ...The Delta Dental and burrito lifts ... holy cow ... who thinks of that crud ... Iowa still thinks what worked in 2002 works today.

Not sure if I should even bother to answer this sputtering. Clearly, you have no concept of what basketball tickets cost at Iowa State. Here's a hint: Call the ticket office and ask what it will cost you for season tickets that aren't in the balcony. Then get back to me. It's (515) 294-1816.

Like was mentioned... 90,000 is only a dream for others, not you LC.

Why would the balcony be excluded in Hilton? Are those seats not included in capacity and attendance figures released by isu? But, more to the point - tell us how much isu makes from its men's basketball program (say for that very same ten year period of time that you entered into this topic here). That should give others a real feel for just how well operated isu athletics are.

Not sure why you are so picky and choosy about such matters, LC. We could just as well revisit the football game that isu played against a top ranked Okie State team in 2011. If anyone cared to check (call the number yourself, LC) isu was offering steeply discounted tickets to that game also and still failed to fill the venue! My, my, my.

Time will tell on the Trice expansion. I have an opinion that little will change overall. Before the luster wears off, isu will still be looking to attract more than 50,000 - 55,000 to home football games versus big xii conference opponents.

Well, they also have that snappy new scoreboard...
ISUScoreboard.jpg
Actually have two of those scoreboards now as well as a ribbon board

A pic from inside the stadium
CIspG3NUwAA7BCe.jpg:large

IMG_20150630_140517366_zpssanmgpzc.jpg

Had a LSU fan tell me it "feels like" you are in Arkansas' stadium(don't confuse with looks like) when I took him a couple weeks ago. I like both stadiums for different reasons but the SEZ expansion is very impressive and its impact can't really be felt until one is inside. Kinnick has the whole "historical" thing goin but, like most things at U of I campus, the achitecture looks forced in areas. iSu definitely has a more modern look.

As far as iSu vs iowa...well iowa fans are as apethetic about football as they have ever been in my lifetime. iSu has a chance to take advantage of that and for once it won't be because the iSU administration isn't willing to support athletics. Of course, iSu needs to win on the field. I think it says a lot that season ticket sales are going to be close this year and iSu has come off of 5-19 the last two seasons.

I feel for iowa fans. I absolutely hate the idea of mega conferences and your schedule is exactly why. Throw in difficult to find taligating areas that continue to get eaten up and overbearing police and it doesn't surpise me the season ticket sales are dropping.

I'd agree. Also....call the ticket office and ask if there are any available basketball tickets. Heck, last year some large donors were left out because none were available.

Like was mentioned... 90,000 is only a dream for others, not you LC.

Why would the balcony be excluded in Hilton? Are those seats not included in capacity and attendance figures released by isu? But, more to the point - tell us how much isu makes from its men's basketball program (say for that very same ten year period of time that you entered into this topic here). That should give others a real feel for just how well operated isu athletics are.

Not sure why you are so picky and choosy about such matters, LC. We could just as well revisit the football game that isu played against a top ranked Okie State team in 2011. If anyone cared to check (call the number yourself, LC) isu was offering steeply discounted tickets to that game also and still failed to fill the venue! My, my, my.

Time will tell on the Trice expansion. I have an opinion that little will change overall. Before the luster wears off, isu will still be looking to attract more than 50,000 - 55,000 to home football games versus big xii conference opponents.
Hell, include the balcony. Ticket prices were crazy last year

Hell, include the balcony. Ticket prices were crazy last year

"Crazy" is a term that has truly very little real meaning in the context of this discussion. isu has recently sold men's season football and basketball tickets for as little as $99 to $125 for the season. It does not take much to say that "ticket prices were crazy" in comparison.

Had a LSU fan tell me it "feels like" you are in Arkansas' stadium(don't confuse with looks like) when I took him a couple weeks ago. I like both stadiums for different reasons but the SEZ expansion is very impressive and its impact can't really be felt until one is inside. Kinnick has the whole "historical" thing goin but, like most things at U of I campus, the achitecture looks forced in areas. iSu definitely has a more modern look.

As far as iSu vs iowa...well iowa fans are as apethetic about football as they have ever been in my lifetime. iSu has a chance to take advantage of that and for once it won't be because the iSU administration isn't willing to support athletics. Of course, iSu needs to win on the field. I think it says a lot that season ticket sales are going to be close this year and iSu has come off of 5-19 the last two seasons.

I feel for iowa fans. I absolutely hate the idea of mega conferences and your schedule is exactly why. Throw in difficult to find taligating areas that continue to get eaten up and overbearing police and it doesn't surpise me the season ticket sales are dropping.

2-10 says isu is really taking advantage of Iowa's apathy. Only at isu would 2-10 allow a coach to keep his job as long as one of the 2 wins is against Big Brother.

Hey maybe Iowa should sell football season tickets for $99.00 and then turn around claim a record number of sales. Wait I know we can track the sales with a thermometer. Then we can be just like isu.

Who would laugh at that?

Err, as a curious outsider: What, if I may ask, is a Burrito Lift and a Delta Dental?

Do you guys eat burritos and get dental work done during the games? If so, that is a fascinating attempt at marketing.

Hey tazclone when will the Big 12 ever have a post season that matches their bogus SOS? I mean isu fans go on and on about strength of schedule and then when the post season rolls around the Big 12 falls on its collective faces. It doesn't matter if we are talking football or MBB. The outcome has been the same for years now.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT