ADVERTISEMENT

Little OT: Is it odd BF hasn't found a new job yet?

I would be laughing my ass all the way to the bank. I would certainly want to get back on the horse again, but I don't view any of this as kicking him while he is down.
Yeah, basically financially set for life or should be. Lots of worries melt away when you hit that milestone.

Reactions: ddeanHawk
He's the son of a multimillionaire who got to hold a very prestigious high paying job he was probably not qualified for to begin with and was demonstrably failing at for several years longer than anyone else would have kept him entirely because of his dad and he will probably land another very good job within a year or two. He doesn't need to be treated like a make a wish kid just because he played here, he's fine. He and Kirk really have no one to blame but themselves for this it wasn't that hard to see coming and he could have continued to have a very good NFL career if he hadn't decided to come back so they could try to turn a big ten head coaching job into a hereditary monarchy

I‘d think that people in IC would pretty much ignore him now that he’s not actively putting holes in the hull of the SS Iowa football, but I could see why his family might want a change of scenery.

So Brian was actively looking for a job during bowl prep, but Kirk wouldn’t start looking for his replacement until after the bowl game? I’m glad to hear that everybody’s priorities were in order.
Per usual, you don’t have a clue what you’re talking about.

KF was already looking for BF’s replacement well before the bowl game. They put all their eggs in the Chryst basket and got burned a bit as PC was dragging his feet trying to convince his wife to leave Austin. The coaches eventually had to move on and no, Chryst was never officially offered.

KF was already looking for BF’s replacement well before the bowl game. They put all their eggs in the Chryst basket and got burned a bit as PC was dragging his feet trying to convince his wife to leave Austin. The coaches eventually had to move on and no, Chryst was never officially offered.

It is pretty much SOP in the industry to not make an official offer unless you know the guy is going to say yes so everyone can pretend they got their first choice. chryst was made aware that the job was his if he wanted it, trying to pretend it wasn't an offer is just semantics

Reactions: mustang_hawk
It is pretty much SOP in the industry to not make an official offer unless you know the guy is going to say yes so everyone can pretend they got their first choice. chryst was made aware that the job was his if he wanted it, trying to pretend it wasn't an offer is just semantics
No, Paul Chryst was never told the job was his if he wanted it. Try again.

He will find a positional coach spot before too long. I personally doubt he will ever be a coordinator again. At the very least, it will take him a few years to let the stink wear off because he can attempt to get back in that realm and probably at lower levels initially.

This is the weirdest thing about this whole mess. How could KF not know he was essentially destroying his son's career during this process? It's beyond delusional to think he was actually helping his son. Enabling is a problem.

This was primarily KFs fault by allowing it and secondarily, it was BFs for not taking action sooner to mitigate the damage. I'm sure KF thought he was doing the right thing for his son but damn, he really hurt his son for the long term. I hope they both feel it was worth it beyond just the money aspect of it all.
Exactly!

Lol okay man

Simultaneously acknowledging that they put all their eggs in the Chryst basket (true) while also pretending the job wasn't his if he wanted it is an interesting rhetorical strategy.
Dang, good thing I came back to this thread so I could see your edit.

You’re implying the Chryst knew the job was his. This simply isn’t true, as literally nobody from Iowa communicated that to him at any point. Putting all your eggs in one basket doesn’t not mean they told PC the job was his. It means that he was their primary target from day one and their main focus. It obviously didn’t work out but GTFOH with your SOP bullshit.

You don’t have a clue what you’re talking about but I guess that’s never stopped you guys before lol.

Dang, good thing I came back to this thread so I could see your edit.

You’re implying the Chryst knew the job was his. This simply isn’t true, as literally nobody from Iowa communicated that to him at any point. Putting all your eggs in one basket doesn’t not mean they told PC the job was his. It means that he was their primary target from day one and their main focus. It obviously didn’t work out but GTFOH with your SOP bullshit.

You don’t have a clue what you’re talking about but I guess that’s never stopped you guys before lol.

No clue if they told him directly or were working through an agent or whatever but I am sorry, he knew he was getting hired if he told them he wanted the job. This isn't even just me, it's been publicly reported by multiple people.

And yes it's the industry standard operating procedure precisely so when it falls apart people can do this exact semantic game and claim there was never an offer when a candidate turns them down.

I know it doesn't mean anything to some of you, but he does have kids in school and probably contemplating yet how that might work and if or when he moves and they later move, etc. His wife is from Manchester area too I believe so assume in-laws are also local area.

Reactions: dadster
No clue if they told him directly or were working through an agent or whatever but I am sorry, he knew he was getting hired if he told them he wanted the job. This isn't even just me, it's been publicly reported by multiple people.

And yes it's the industry standard operating procedure precisely so when it falls apart people can do this exact semantic game and claim there was never an offer when a candidate turns them down.
The first and only true statement you’ve made in this thread.

He will find a positional coach spot before too long. I personally doubt he will ever be a coordinator again. At the very least, it will take him a few years to let the stink wear off because he can attempt to get back in that realm and probably at lower levels initially.

This is the weirdest thing about this whole mess. How could KF not know he was essentially destroying his son's career during this process? It's beyond delusional to think he was actually helping his son. Enabling is a problem.

This was primarily KFs fault by allowing it and secondarily, it was BFs for not taking action sooner to mitigate the damage. I'm sure KF thought he was doing the right thing for his son but damn, he really hurt his son for the long term. I hope they both feel it was worth it beyond just the money aspect of it all.

Some of the traits that makes people successful can be the traits that take them down. In order to be a coach you have to believe you're doing the right things the right way. The problem is, as time changes, as resources change, you need to adapt to the situation. They were not going to adapt until someone forced the situation. But in the end they wouldn't have done anything different, so they're not going to have any ragrets, not even one letter.

Kirk did not think there was anything wrong with the offense. His overall philosophy of coaching has gotten Iowa a lot of wins (majority against bad competition and a few good teams) since Brian took over the OC position

He understands the mentality here in Iowa that you get 7-8 wins and 80% of the fan base is content. We’re just Iowa. Sprinkle in those 10 win seasons and you’re untouchable.

The plan was to keep this grift going for a few more years and have Brian take over. The numbers were never going to improve but Iowa would keep winning its 7-8 games.

Had Beth not stepped in there is no doubt in my mind that Brian returns for 2024.

The plan all along was for Brian to become head coach so any negative press, bad statistics did not matter,…until now
Yes, I think that was absolutely the goal as well. In hindsight, it sounds like it would've been plausible too had GB not retired when he did. BF would absolutely still be here with no perceived threat to his job security if GB was still the AD. Kirk has never fired a coordinator at Iowa and would be even less likely to start now, in his twilight years, considering it was his son. I just wish he never put himself in that situation to begin with, which I also said/believed when BF was hired for the OC position as well. These things rarely work out but I would've been glad to be wrong however.

I would be laughing my ass all the way to the bank. I would certainly want to get back on the horse again, but I don't view any of this as kicking him while he is down.
And he will be content and happy with that money, who wouldn't be? The image aspect will still hurt so IF that matters to BF at all, and let's be honest, he's definitely a person driven by ego, he is likely aware his career is tarnished greatly and most certainly much more limited than before.

We're a work centric society and while most of us don't make anywhere near that amount of money, and it does create a disparity of the us vs. them mentality, people of his stature are likely viewed in large scale by their successes or failures within and to outsiders. BF is currently viewed as a person riding the tail of his father imo. If the money negates that feeling for him, then good for him but he's not my kind of person if true and probably a lot of others stuck in the blue collar roles of our nation.

For me, I very much value how I'm perceived at work so it does matter to me and leads me to be outstanding at what I do. Not everyone is the same but damn, I couldn't fathom viewing myself as a letdown to my family, alma mater, the state, and the millions of people, including outsiders, who've seen my work and all typically say it's the worst they've seen recently or ever. He's been made fun of every day for years, yeah, that would suck.

BF is considered, by many, to be the worst at what he does and that would be something I would have a hard time explaining to my kids, friends, etc. He can't hide it like the rest of us can. So he can laugh and live off of his handouts like he has if he wants. It's a luxury most don't have. Doesn't change that people will view him as a loser for the rest of his life until he changes that narrative. Based on what I've seen, he probably won't. So yeah, be a rich loser going forward. That doesn't seem fulfilling to me at all and definitely won't feed his ego.

Just my two cents.

I believe KF plan and Barta's was for Brian to be successful and take over for KF when he returned. Fast forward, things changed. The direction it was going, I think KF wanted to wait until the season was over and Brian was able to leave Iowa without the tag of being fired on his resume.
It was obvious by the 2021 season that BF was terrible at his job. Instead of pulling the plug then, KF and GB kept doubling down on the dumb by adding QB coach duties and then the 25 points per game joke. KF and BF got exactly what they deserved when BF got canned publicly midseason by the interim A.D.

And he will be content and happy with that money, who wouldn't be? The image aspect will still hurt so IF that matters to BF at all, and let's be honest, he's definitely a person driven by ego, he is likely aware his career is tarnished greatly and most certainly much more limited than before.

We're a work centric society and while most of us don't make anywhere near that amount of money, and it does create a disparity of the us vs. them mentality, people of his stature are likely viewed in large scale by their successes or failures within and to outsiders. BF is currently viewed as a person riding the tail of his father imo. If the money negates that feeling for him, then good for him but he's not my kind of person if true and probably a lot of others stuck in the blue collar roles of our nation.

For me, I very much value how I'm perceived at work so it does matter to me and leads me to be outstanding at what I do. Not everyone is the same but damn, I couldn't fathom viewing myself as a letdown to my family, alma mater, the state, and the millions of people, including outsiders, who've seen my work and all typically say it's the worst they've seen recently or ever. He's been made fun of every day for years, yeah, that would suck.

BF is considered, by many, to be the worst at what he does and that would be something I would have a hard time explaining to my kids, friends, etc. He can't hide it like the rest of us can. So he can laugh and live off of his handouts like he has if he wants. It's a luxury most don't have. Doesn't change that people will view him as a loser for the rest of his life until he changes that narrative. Based on what I've seen, he probably won't. So yeah, be a rich loser going forward. That doesn't seem fulfilling to me at all and definitely won't feed his ego.

Just my two cents.
So you really care what others think. I am the exact opposite. My boss, sure i care what that person thinks. His boss was Kirk and pretty sure Kirk still cares about his kid. If I was sitting on the pile of finances they have I would give a shit less about any of it. It would be about my wife and kids.

Yes, I think that was absolutely the goal as well. In hindsight, it sounds like it would've been plausible too had GB not retired when he did. BF would absolutely still be here with no perceived threat to his job security if GB was still the AD. Kirk has never fired a coordinator at Iowa and would be even less likely to start now, in his twilight years, considering it was his son. I just wish he never put himself in that situation to begin with, which I also said/believed when BF was hired for the OC position as well. These things rarely work out but I would've been glad to be wrong however.
I completely agree with all of this, and I was also a charter member of the “this is not going to end well” club back in 2017.

So you really care what others think. I am the exact opposite. My boss, sure i care what that person thinks. His boss was Kirk and pretty sure Kirk still cares about his kid. If I was sitting on the pile of finances they have I would give a shit less about any of it. It would be about my wife and kids.
I do care what others think of me. But I get what you're saying. Everyone is different. Personally, I would absolutely be bothered by people thinking I didn't earn my way and I suspect BF is viewed that way by a large amount of people. This would be magnified more by a reactive property like football fans. People that put so much effort into this and it's observed by all with intense passion and/or ridicule. Yeah, I would fear failing in that stratosphere. It's the price you pay for a high profile position in football imo. Money is nice too though. To me, less money but being the best at something are more important.

Wrong. Chryst was offered as were 2 others.

Just my two cents.
I honestly have no idea with how this has to deal with “kicking him while he’s down.”

I also don’t follow the richer loser statement. Brian ferentz was a 20 game starter for a big ten program, played in the nfl. He coached in the nfl and broke out thanks to Hernandez and Gronk. He is competitive, and he is a great Oline coach. He will never get another shot as OC.

He coached in the nfl and broke out thanks to Hernandez and Gronk.

No. Brian coached TEs for one season, 2016. Hernandez last played for NE in 2013, and Gronk was a 3x NFL All-Pro and 4x Pro Bowler by the time Brian got that job. Not much actual coaching to be done.

No. Brian coached TEs for one season, 2016. Hernandez last played for NE in 2013, and Gronk was a 3x NFL All-Pro and 4x Pro Bowler by the time Brian got that job. Not much actual coaching to be done.
He was the patriots TE in 2011

He was the patriots TE in 2011
Brian played center.

Edit - I see. He was only a position
coach for 1 season. The rest of Brian's NFL stint was as a quality control assistant. Not very impressive.

Last edited:

Guess I’m not as plugged in as you are, Glen. Good thing you’re here to set me straight.
Do you feel better now that you’ve stamped your feet and told me what a dummy I am?

I‘d think that people in IC would pretty much ignore him now that he’s not actively putting holes in the hull of the SS Iowa football, but I could see why his family might want a change of scenery.

So Brian was actively looking for a job during bowl prep, but Kirk wouldn’t start looking for his replacement until after the bowl game? I’m glad to hear that everybody’s priorities were in order.
Make it make sense. I thought it was all hands on deck for Iowa’s offense to win the game against Tennessee?!? For Brian and Kirk’s sake I hope they spent every waking minute looking at jobs Brian could get. At least that way we can say we had no offensive gameplan, instead of planning for a month and coming up with what they did.

That's all good, and say what you will but he is/was a good OL coach. They won the Joe Moore Award in 2016. Is he a shitty OC, absolutely, but he was a good OL coach.

JMO, but I think he's too toxic for any NFL or college team. We saw what happened with Doyle, and he at least had a rep for being very good at his job. Possibly could turn up in the UFL or one of those other minor leagues that pop up and then fade away. I can't see KF still having enough pull to get BF an NFL job; he's been away from that for quite a while, the PTB are always changing, and anyone paying attention knows KF is no longer what he was.
What he was? 28 wins the last three years. Row back North where you belong.

• Haha
Reactions: Easthawk1062
He probably has a decent shot at being the OC for an NFL team that wants the first pick in the draft the next season.

Reactions: peacehawk
Yeah, basically financially set for life or should be. Lots of worries melt away when you hit that milestone.
Eh idk. He grew up a son of a multimillionaire. What is “set for life” for you and me might be just okay money to a Ferentz. All depends on your lifestyle and if all you know is upper class… you might not know how to struggle enough to save money.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT