ADVERTISEMENT

Lockett coming?

The separation in wrestling between the "haves" and "have nots" has existed for the better part of 15-20 years, imo.

We're rapidly approaching no more than 7/8 top programs.
I think B1G conference members will be fine as far as maintaining their wrestling programs, but I think we're going to see 10+ other programs dropping wrestling in the next decade or less.
Agree - or possibly drop that specific sport to D-2 or even club level? No worries about spreading out NIL related money among other sports and less overall expenses. But most certainly all of this will make it an easy sport to be cut.

Dude… where have you been? This has been college sports since football and and basketball became a thing.

Difference is - we’re conditioned to hate athletes for taking money that used to go to institutions.

Case in point - Lockett couldn’t ask for something that doesn’t exist. Tom and john and every other coach would just tell him to kick rocks.

I’m kinda eh on it - it’s not going to be the death knell to sports - it can’t be. It’s money that exists. It’s not the stock market.

There will be a regression to the mean - but this righting the wrong of faux-amateurism that’s exist since AT LEAST the 80s.
I actually don't have a beef with the athletes making money off their talent instead of the schools and the NCAA. The problem I have is that college sports is becoming everything I dislike about pro sports. No loyalty to anyone. Just go to the highest bidder or whoever offers the best contract. Same as the pros. Paying a proven football star 350 million dollars is stupid. That is my opinion and nobody will convince me differently. As much as some may disagree, money isn't everything and it should never be.

Agree - or possibly drop that specific sport to D-2 or even club level? No worries about spreading out NIL related money among other sports and less overall expenses. But most certainly all of this will make it an easy sport to be cut.
A D-1 program cannot dropped one sport to the D-2 level.

Reactions: el dub
I can’t offer a truck but if any of these recruits enjoy hunting I can offer private hunting ground……it’s pretty much equal value.
Ha! I’ve been offering this service along with guided spring Turkey hunts for years for those that enjoy such adventures. Just for the fun of it…. Wild times if it could actually factor into a decision.

Maybe you and I should have a chat….

A D-1 program cannot dropped one sport to the D-2 level.

Yes it actually can. There are a number of schools who participate in D-1 in a sport but not all others. You just can't participate in two or more D-1 sports and still do it. A sport like wrestling is a prime example where a level may be changed above all others.

I'm not talking about Power 5 type schools, by the way. They will just out and out drop it.

Yes. A D-2 school can compete in one sport at the D-1 level but at D-1 school cannot compete in one sport at the D-2 level. You stated the later.

Yes. A D-2 school can compete in one sport at the D-1 level but at D-1 school cannot compete in one sport at the D-2 level. You stated the later.
I stated what I think could happen. If a school chooses to currently participate at the D-1 level in wrestling but not in any others, they could drop back down to D-2. A Power 5 type school will simply drop the sport. In neither post did I say a D-1 (Power 5) school could drop to D-2 for a given sport.

I stated what I think could happen. If a school chooses to currently participate at the D-1 level in wrestling but not in any others, they could drop back down to D-2. A Power 5 type school will simply drop the sport. In neither post did I say a D-1 (Power 5) school could drop to D-2 for a given sport.
Agree - or possibly drop that specific sport to D-2 or even club level? No worries about spreading out NIL related money among other sports and less over

Agree - or possibly drop that specific sport to D-2 or even club level? No worries about spreading out NIL related money among other sports and less over
Yes - a D-2 school that may be particpating, or may want to participate at the D-1 level in one sport. That school may drop down to avoid the crap that is invloved trying to compete at the D-1 level. I don't really care what the guy I was responding to said or referenced in terms of a specific school or program. Again, I did not say a D-1 school would drop, ever. I'll make sure I am more specific next time. Don't confuse the use of the word "program" with "school."

Ha! I’ve been offering this service along with guided spring Turkey hunts for years for those that enjoy such adventures. Just for the fun of it…. Wild times if it could actually factor into a decision.

Maybe you and I should have a chat….
PM me and we can chat about it for sure. 👍

Reactions: Gobblin
Yes - a D-2 school that may be particpating, or may want to participate at the D-1 level in one sport. That school may drop down to avoid the crap that is invloved trying to compete at the D-1 level. I don't really care what the guy I was responding to said or referenced in terms of a specific school or program. Again, I did not say a D-1 school would drop, ever. I'll make sure I am more specific next time. Don't confuse the use of the word "program" with "school."
Whatever.

There's nothing in Iowa that you need that for. Maybe the occasional Black Bear or Moose that wanders in, but you'd probably get in trouble for shooting them. I heard there is a rifle season for deer now (which floors me), but that would be overkill for White-tail hunting.
45-70 can be and is used during shotgun season. My buddy has used one the last two years. Works very well on white tails. I hunt with guys (first season shotgun) shooting 350 legend, 450 BM, 458 Socom, 45-70, 360 Buckhammer, etc. Caliber rules arent the same as years ago.

It’s a straight wall cartridge so it’s perfectly legal for deer now. The recoil is enough for my wimpy ass to avoid it but I have a few friends that hunt with them. Last time I talked to one of them they had just scoped themselves after shooting it 🤣
Many bottle neck cartridges are legal now as well. 2021 hunters were no longer limited to using straight walled cartridges. Its more specific to bullet diameter.

Many bottle neck cartridges are legal now as well. 2021 hunters were no longer limited to using straight walled cartridges. It’s more specific to bullet diameter.
Since they’ve made those legal, which I’m perfectly fine with(I built a .450), I wish they’d ban hammer drive hunting. It’s far from fair chase, ruining herds in certain populations, and even more so just plain dangerous.

Last edited:
I didn’t know high schools could provide NIL deals.
Huh? He’s a high school kid. That doesn't mean the hs is the entity giving away free money. You didn't know a high school aged kid could get NIL money. It’s a brave new world, eh? Strange times for sure.

Reactions: vhsalum
Huh? He’s a high school kid. That doesn't mean the hs is the entity giving away free money. You didn't know a high school aged kid could get NIL money. It’s a brave new world, eh? Strange times for sure.
I apologize for not understanding the workings of this NIL shit. I thought it had to be arranged by a school you were competing for. Everyone talks about colleges putting the packages together for theses kids, I guess they’re just being the voluntary middle man, but the kids could beat the bushes and do it all on their own. Learn something new every day😄

I apologize for not understanding the workings of this NIL shit. I thought it had to be arranged by a school you were competing for. Everyone talks about colleges putting the packages together for theses kids, I guess they’re just being the voluntary middle man, but the kids could beat the bushes and do it all on their own. Learn something new every day😄
I didn’t mean that post as a put down. We’re all learning as they go. But I doubt the high school had anything to do with the process of getting a recruit a truck.

Reactions: vhsalum and 12tdsaw
I didn’t mean that post as a put down. We’re all learning as they go. But I doubt the high school had anything to do with the process of getting a recruit a truck.
That is good new for me, I thought maybe oki state was somehow sliding him money in the form of that truck already. Hope he’s not toying with us with ulterior motive like Stevenson did with us this summer, just to get many viewers for his WWE debut to hear his future announcement. Probably could get him and Henkel into the lineup at the same time, Henkel looks like he has the frame to fill out more.

• Haha
Reactions: okcpokefan12
That is good new for me, I thought maybe oki state was somehow sliding him money in the form of that truck already. Hope he’s not toying with us with ulterior motive like Stevenson did with us this summer, just to get many viewers for his WWE debut to hear his future announcement. Probably could get him and Henkel into the lineup at the same time, Henkel looks like he has the frame to fill out more.
I’m guessing the truck is direct result of locals trying to get the kid to commit to local university. These days, donors apparently don’t have to keep those arrangements on the down low. Not sure what involvement OSU had with the truck in question. Probably just an effort by local booster?

so you are saying an autographed picture of IRON BIRD - himself posing with A Carver Ice Cream Cone as he seductively licked it....wouldn't be enough to pry Lockett away from the OKIES ?? This kid may be a tough one to figure out just exactly what he wants if the Iron Bird poster doesn't seal the deal
I am in only if it helps land the kid!
He needs a pic of his wife also. Ironbird knows all this stuff.
My wife would leave me if I ever........ Hmmm where do I sign up???
Man....what a time to be alive
That is what I am thinking!!! If you are a big time recruit just WOW!!!!
A car dealership in Stillwater gave him a new truck i believe as an NIL deal.

to a kid just starting his JR year of hs.

these are the times we live in.
Why would they do this? What would be the benefit to them? I could see a big time Football player, but is a wrestler going to bring them anything in return? I am just not following the logic here, does the dealership write it off?

In football, I can see winning, putting 80K fans in the stands, brings in tons of people to the town etc.....

Here's a question for the group:

With the monster NIL deals taking place, is kids getting a full ride as big of a deal as it has been in the past?
A 4-year full ride is worth $100,000+ for out of state. Definitely still worth something. Especially, considering it makes life easier. No U bills and or loans. And money coming in NIL is spending money now.

A 4-year full ride is worth $100,000+ for out of state. Definitely still worth something. Especially, considering it makes life easier. No U bills and or loans. And money coming in NIL is spending money now.
But a $50000-100000 scholarship is tax free whereas money or other items could be taxable.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT