ADVERTISEMENT

MBB Portal Targets (confirmed contacts)

I think you may be right. I also think there is a strong chance Jack transfers back to Iowa to play for his Dad in what could be the last year for both. Especially if Jack is a proven commodity.
Based on what? "A strong chance"? Jack will NEVER play at Iowa, something I posted three years ago. Marge rules the roost and the youngest will never play at Iowa.

You're probably more right then wrong, but I always had the opinion that Fran was never an attention getter, When one of his teams did well during the first part of the season they always had issues at the end of the season or visa versa. Only one time in Fran's 14 years did he not have a team that lost double digit games and that was during the 20/21 season.
I hope Iowa has a great season this coming year, but it will be up to the sophomore class, plus Dix and Payton if he comes back, to get the best record that Iowa has had in the McCaffery era.
I think the team will be great, but the question remains will Fran play the best players or screw up the rotations until it's too late. His coaching and X and O's are not the best.
Really not trying to be a downer, but please do give reasons why "I think this team will be great" . Based on what? Your last sentence highlighted one of the biggest issues even IF he had a solid ballanced roster, which he does not yet again.......

You're probably more right then wrong, but I always had the opinion that Fran was never an attention getter, When one of his teams did well during the first part of the season they always had issues at the end of the season or visa versa. Only one time in Fran's 14 years did he not have a team that lost double digit games and that was during the 20/21 season.
I hope Iowa has a great season this coming year, but it will be up to the sophomore class, plus Dix and Payton if he comes back, to get the best record that Iowa has had in the McCaffery era.
I think the team will be great, but the question remains will Fran play the best players or screw up the rotations until it's too late. His coaching and X and O's are not the best.
This year, I don't see players who are going to screw up the rotation, as we had big time last year. Dix might have stayed a role player, if Patrick hadn't gotten hurt for a few games. There are definitely some nice options available this year, and we need to just hope that they stay healthy. Depth at guard is a concern, but all 3 guys should play significant minutes. We need Freeman to also stay healthy. The forward positions are much deeper, assuming Payton returns.

This is big time D1 basketball. If a coach doesn't have a heightened sense of urgency each and every year, he needs to find another occupation. This being said, I think Fran wants to win it all every year. I just don't think he's capable due to his lack of attention to defense and rebounding.
I hear what you’re saying…. But in many people in many positions they give a strong effort, thinking it’s their best effort, but something happens that pushes them just a little bit harder when they thought they were already at their max.

I think we’ve seen that from Kirk a few times and athletics in general you see players/teams just make that extra effort….a little more focus that turns the tide.

Fran has the Hawkeyes sitting at FOURTH in wins in the Big Ten in the last 5 years, ahead of programs like Michigan State, Indiana, Maryland, Ohio State, and Michigan. There is no reason why Iowa should have more wins over any 5 year stretch than programs with the history, resources and fertile recruiting grounds those teams have…unless Iowa has a coach who’s pretty damn good. If you measure Iowa according to where it should be in the league given the factors mentioned above, the Hawkeyes should be battling to stay out of the basement of the league every year. But they aren’t. That’s because of Fran.

Of course if you want to measure Iowa solely according to how they’ve done in the tournament, they haven’t been very successful. I get that. EVERYONE gets that.

But if you’re paying attention - instead of just incessantly looking for things to bitch about - Fran has been addressing the issues the program has had. In Dembele and Tadjo, he’s gotten forwards who aren’t his typical beanpole type but instead are strong and athletic. He’s continued to add quick and talented guards like Harding and Thelwell. These are positive changes.

Fran is far from perfect. He never should’ve recruited Krikke when he was clearly such a poor fit for the team’s needs. He played Patrick WAY too much given how atrocious he was at defense and rebounding. The defensive intensity and fundamentals absolutely need to improve. But a couple things it’s important to remember:

1. Fran has Iowa punching above its weight in the league. The tourney success hasn’t been what any of us would want; but:

2. Fran has clearly made adjustments to his recruiting approach and it’s likely to pay dividends going forward.

If Iowa lands Cross (or a similarly skilled player) and Payton Sandfort returns, Fran will have put together a hell of a squad for next year with very little NIL money to work with. That’s positive change and progress.

People who want to act like the program is in some kind of downward spiral either haven’t been paying attention or are just the kind of people who just enjoy whining irrespective of the reality of the situation.
Honestly up until a couple of years ago, I was probably in the same "glass is half full" group as you are. I just can't get past Frans inability to sign quality back court players. He has an eye for talent, not doubt, but he's not a closer. I give him alot of credit for being in early on Luka, and to some degree for his growth, although I think his development was just as much driven by the player himself. The Murray twins I think we were just really fortunate to have the previous connection, so we were in on them early, and I think them coming to Iowa was a done deal if fran just offered. I don't know if I'd agree that he's made some big shift in his recruiting however. He went after a guard because Perkins and Bowen hit the road. It remains to be seen what impact the new player has. To this point Frans other portal successes have been luke warm at best. Rebraka was okay his first year, and pretty damn good the second. As you stated Krikke is a mid major player who did nothing to improve our weakest areas, defense and rebounding. I had some hope for Braun when he signed, but it appears he was only here to hang with his high school buddy Pmac, because Fran played the guy like 20 minutes all year. Your statement about Iowa as it relates to the conference just agrees with my thought that the B1G just isn't very good. Honestly, other then Purdue, and to a lesser degree Illinois, who has been consistently good for some period if time? Even Izzo's army seems to have lost their mojo lately. I also wouldn't put much stock into our record being better then MSU if and when it is. They play a MUCH more difficult pre conference schedule then we do, and they take some early losses. It used to harden the Spartans for the B!G and tourney run, but lately it seems to be wearing them down. I think their recruiting has suffered to some degree lately also, and I think Izzo is nearing the end of his career.

Regardless if you think I'm sour on the program, I'd like nothing more then for Fran to take Iowa on a run through the B1G and the NCAA tourney. I just don't see the roster to make that a reality, and Fran is ultimately responsible for that.

Last edited:
Really not trying to be a downer, but please do give reasons why "I think this team will be great" . Based on what? Your last sentence highlighted one of the biggest issues even IF he had a solid ballanced roster, which he does not yet again.......
Team will do about the same. Be in upper half of Big, but at best first rd 7/10. NCAA game

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT