ADVERTISEMENT

MBB Portal Targets (confirmed contacts)

Dakota is a Guard, so that's good. Love the stats on Mikeal, but he's the same size as everyone else on the roster. Hopefully more athletic though.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
Dakota is a Guard, so that's good. Love the stats on Mikeal, but he's the same size as everyone else on the roster. Hopefully more athletic though.
I think a bigger 4 man is something this roster could use, especially as a 1 year rental type guy while Tadjo and Koch get up to speed. Keep Owen and Ladji as our 2 bigs, keep the Sandfort bros as our 3s.
A 44% 3 point shooter with good rebounding numbers would be a dream if Iowa could land him. He'd be a massive upgrade over Krikke at that spot.

Thanks for initiating this thread.
Might shed early light on expected losses from our roster.
We need a krikke replacement.
We might need a Tony replacement.
We have PMac replacement coming.
Now I do feel very jaded about our shot at expensive transfers.

Comedy Central Yes GIF by Inside Amy Schumer

Without significant NIL $$, it is going to very hard for Fran to get any of the most sought after transfers. I have said before, convincing Tony to return is probably the best move we can make. Still, we need to keep trying.

I agree Fran will have trouble in Portal without NIL, but to be fair to his detractors, he was a dud in the Portal before NIL became a thing.

I gave some money to Swarm, partially because I'm hoping they make an offer to Perkins. I think Fran's move of Perkins to PG was actually smart move. I think a guy like Perkins probably sees his best chance at professional B-ball success a the PG position and Iowa is probably the only school that will give him the keys to be PG next year. The competing NIL schools will likely want Perkins at 2G. I'm not sure how much it would take to keep Perkins....maybe $200K. Not a lot of money in a state with 1.5 million or so Hawkeye fans.

Perkins can return and do maybe 20 mpg at PG and 12 mpg at 2G. That leaves Harding with 20 mpg at PG.

Josh Dix is a wildcard....if Creighton is making a push for him and for some reason he's unhappy, Iowa's hopes of success next year take a big hit. Fran has the team so light on guard talent that any injury or losses in Portal and we will end up in trouble next year.

I agree Fran will have trouble in Portal without NIL, but to be fair to his detractors, he was a dud in the Portal before NIL became a thing.

I gave some money to Swarm, partially because I'm hoping they make an offer to Perkins. I think Fran's move of Perkins to PG was actually smart move. I think a guy like Perkins probably sees his best chance at professional B-ball success a the PG position and Iowa is probably the only school that will give him the keys to be PG next year. The competing NIL schools will likely want Perkins at 2G. I'm not sure how much it would take to keep Perkins....maybe $200K. Not a lot of money in a state with 1.5 million or so Hawkeye fans.

Perkins can return and do maybe 20 mpg at PG and 12 mpg at 2G. That leaves Harding with 20 mpg at PG.

Josh Dix is a wildcard....if Creighton is making a push for him and for some reason he's unhappy, Iowa's hopes of success next year take a big hit. Fran has the team so light on guard talent that any injury or losses in Portal and we will end up in trouble next year.
Are there rumors about Dix leaving? That would be an enormous loss. Moving Dix into the backcourt with Tony is what allowed Iowa do go on its roll.

Without significant NIL $$, it is going to very hard for Fran to get any of the most sought after transfers. I have said before, convincing Tony to return is probably the best move we can make. Still, we need to keep trying.
Tony will probably get better offers with NIL elsewhere. Iowa NIL money for basketball sucks.

Reactions: SDHawkDoc
Tony will probably get better offers with NIL elsewhere. Iowa NIL money for basketball sucks.
I've thought that for a while. This seems like a good opportunity for him to get some nice cash as a veteran 1 year rental for a team that has a chance to make a tourney run.
As much as I appreciate what Tony has done and like what he brings, the chances of him making it in the NBA are less than slim. Now's the time for him to make a good payday with a team that has a lot of NIL money to offer in free agency before he heads overseas to play.

The word is that ISU had a NIL payout of 1.2 million this year.
I thought it would be more with 5 of their top 7 as transfer guys plus highly rated Lipsey, mislonvich and Omaha.
Maybe guys are not getting as large a bag as we think?
Human nature is to stay put if money is decent. Tony might prefer to stay with friends at Iowa rather than uproot and start new elsewhere where the pressure as a high priced mercenary could be a crusher?
Hoping we can make a decent offer...maybe 100k?

Hoping we can make a decent offer...maybe 100k
I’d start at $75k with a cap of $120k.

If another school wants to overpay let’em

We need to get a true big PG, at least 6’4. Someone who’s a shut down defender with handles to drive and distribute. Fairly consistent 21’ shot would be nice but not mandatory. Willing to go $150k for someone like that.

I’d start at $75k with a cap of $120k.

If another school wants to overpay let’em

We need to get a true big PG, at least 6’4. Someone who’s a shut down defender with handles to drive and distribute. Fairly consistent 21’ shot would be nice but not mandatory. Willing to go $150k for someone like that.
lol, yeah, players like that are just wearing out Frans phone to get a chance to play at little ole Iowa. Fran probably has pick of the litter, but likes Harding so much, he doesn't want to recruit over him.
We'll see in the coming months, who Fran brings in to fill the empty scholarships on his roster, but I highly doubt that it will be a 5 star player that you just described in your post. I do hope this staff can find guards, even a center that can help Iowa next year. Iowa has enough wing players.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
lol, yeah, players like that are just wearing out Frans phone to get a chance to play at little ole Iowa. Fran probably has pick of the litter, but likes Harding so much, he doesn't want to recruit over him.
We'll see in the coming months, who Fran brings in to fill the empty scholarships on his roster, but I highly doubt that it will be a 5 star player that you just described in your post. I do hope this staff can find guards, even a center that can help Iowa next year. Iowa has enough wing players.
What I described is not a 5-star, and especially if he can’t hit a consistent 21’ jumper….which I clearly said wasn’t mandatory.

200K. Unbelievable.

He will start every game next year why would he leave?
Every player that Iowa would want in the portal would start at their previous school. Playing time is not the issue. Dix could make more money elsewhere.

That said, he seems like a kid who will be at Iowa for four years.

Reactions: Bishop-71
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT