ADVERTISEMENT

Media Guide & New Two Deeps

I could see Stilianos coming in an getting action as an in-line TE for us. However, I otherwise have trouble seeing him take away too many snaps from LaPorta and Lachey. I think that Stilianos's value is bigger for the Hawks in the '23 season ... to help mollify the impact of LaPorta's departure.

I think that we're in agreement as it relates to transfer QBs entering the program. The sort of transfer QB who'd be able to walk in and play right away ... that would be the sort of talent that a place like Texas A&M would already have locked up via NIL. I don't expect the Hawks to land those guys ... and I'm fine with that.
I don't think Patrick Mahomes could Crack the starting lineup as a first year transfer.

Folks lament the current state of Iowa's QB room ... and some point to the recruiting offer-lists of Petras and Padilla. However, if you look at our QB room back from '13 to '14 ... fans were saying very similar things. It just so happed that the Iowa staff trusted BOTH Rudock and Beathard a lot (just as the current staff trusts Petras and Padilla). In this case ... for a time the Hawks had Rudock, Beathard, Shimonek, and Sokol in the QB. Each guy ended up being a D1 starting QB. How that flew in the face of fans who thought that the roster didn't even have 1 (D1 starting quality QB).

I think the prevailing thought on the staff is that if they can get more 'good Petras' meaning establishing a run game and better protection we will see more of the Spencer where he's healthy, zinging the ball and completing at least 60% of his passes.
Someone in another thread did a great stats breakdown on his game splits so the only thing I can muster is that the staff had little interest in a portal QB and are confident with a better run game, better OL and tweaking some schematics Spencer will be better, however with a shorter leash to see what Padilla and Labas might be able to do...it remains to be seen.

I definitely think the coaching staff is placing a big bet between natural development and players getting healthy for the offense to improve in general.

Reactions: kceasthawk
Folks lament the current state of Iowa's QB room ... and some point to the recruiting offer-lists of Petras and Padilla. However, if you look at our QB room back from '13 to '14 ... fans were saying very similar things. It just so happed that the Iowa staff trusted BOTH Rudock and Beathard a lot (just as the current staff trusts Petras and Padilla). In this case ... for a time the Hawks had Rudock, Beathard, Shimonek, and Sokol in the QB. Each guy ended up being a D1 starting QB. How that flew in the face of fans who thought that the roster didn't even have 1 (D1 starting quality QB).
In his 3rd year CJ looked WAY better than Petras or Padilla looked last year.

In his 3rd year CJ looked WAY better than Petras or Padilla looked last year.
In his first 2 years, CJ was able to play like he had nothing to lose ... that manifested in what many of you would call moxy.

However, when Beathard took over in his 3rd year ... he also inherited an OL that was quite veteran on the interior and the O as a whole had good leadership from a bunch of spots.

Even with the issues that Petras demonstrated in 2020 ... the O still managed to score with pretty decent efficiency that year. Not coincidentally, the 2020 O was pretty veteran at a bunch of spots too.

Now a lot of offensive issues are related to confidence and consistency. It's pretty obvious that some skill players lost confidence in Petras - and that also clearly impacted our offensive execution. However, when Padilla got his shot - the execution of the O wasn't appreciably different. Thus, while some guys may have lost some confidence in Petras ... what we saw from Padilla seem to indicate that the "blame" was misplaced. While it IS TRUE that we weren't getting the sort of play that we needed from the QBs ... it's also true that we weren't getting the play we needed from a bunch of position groups.

Reactions: Ree4
I definitely think the coaching staff is placing a big bet between natural development and players getting healthy for the offense to improve in general.
I don't necessarily feel that that is a "big bet." We fans often get caught up over-analyzing transients ... drawing erroneous conclusions as a result.

The coaching staff (particularly Kirk) has over 20 years of experience knowing that there is typically a lot of ebbs and flows in the game. When guys develop, when guys are healthy, and when guys play-together (rather than for themselves) ... then good things usually follow.

I think that we already know that we have a punt game and a defense that should have the back of the O. If the O can score ... then the Hawks should win more than they lose.

Reactions: sober_teacher
In his first 2 years, CJ was able to play like he had nothing to lose ... that manifested in what many of you would call moxy.

However, when Beathard took over in his 3rd year ... he also inherited an OL that was quite veteran on the interior and the O as a whole had good leadership from a bunch of spots.

Even with the issues that Petras demonstrated in 2020 ... the O still managed to score with pretty decent efficiency that year. Not coincidentally, the 2020 O was pretty veteran at a bunch of spots too.

Now a lot of offensive issues are related to confidence and consistency. It's pretty obvious that some skill players lost confidence in Petras - and that also clearly impacted our offensive execution. However, when Padilla got his shot - the execution of the O wasn't appreciably different. Thus, while some guys may have lost some confidence in Petras ... what we saw from Padilla seem to indicate that the "blame" was misplaced. While it IS TRUE that we weren't getting the sort of play that we needed from the QBs ... it's also true that we weren't getting the play we needed from a bunch of position groups.
Petras is gonna take some hits again, but he HAS TO make teams pay this year when he gets his chances. If he can't make teams pay for not respecting the deep ball, then our line and run game will be at a large disadvantage all year and likely struggle because of it.
Wr def need to work on consistency too and do their part to gain the defenses respect.

I don't necessarily feel that that is a "big bet." We fans often get caught up over-analyzing transients ... drawing erroneous conclusions as a result.

The coaching staff (particularly Kirk) has over 20 years of experience knowing that there is typically a lot of ebbs and flows in the game. When guys develop, when guys are healthy, and when guys play-together (rather than for themselves) ... then good things usually follow.

I think that we already know that we have a punt game and a defense that should have the back of the O. If the O can score ... then the Hawks should win more than they lose.

Agreed, I think the coaches are looking at last year like just a fluke year where everything went wrong at the same time, and expecting a regression to the mean. They might have a point to some extent, I remember some analytics that came out at the end of the season that Iowa was one of the unluckiest teams in football last year.

Reactions: cmhawks99
Petras is gonna take some hits again, but he HAS TO make teams pay this year when he gets his chances. If he can't make teams pay for not respecting the deep ball, then our line and run game will be at a large disadvantage all year and likely struggle because of it.
Wr def need to work on consistency too and do their part to gain the defenses respect.
I don't disagree with any of your points there.

However, I WOULD add that if the Hawks can be more bruising in the running game - that could give Petras and the OL a little more "wiggle-room." That's also why I'm hoping that the addition of Stilianos might help the Hawks to use more 3 TE sets ... playing a brand of "big boy" football that might help us to leverage mismatches a little more.

Whenever the Hawks attempt to play more of a finesse-brand of "Ferentz-ball" ... it always seems to be disappointing.

Reactions: sober_teacher
I don't disagree with any of your points there.

However, I WOULD add that if the Hawks can be more bruising in the running game - that could give Petras and the OL a little more "wiggle-room." That's also why I'm hoping that the addition of Stilianos might help the Hawks to use more 3 TE sets ... playing a brand of "big boy" football that might help us to leverage mismatches a little more.

Whenever the Hawks attempt to play more of a finesse-brand of "Ferentz-ball" ... it always seems to be disappointing.
Agreed. I think adding him helps, but honestly I think losing goodson helps too. He'd be great with space, but we need guys that can at least fight their way back to the los instead of dancing and putting us at 2nd and 14 etc when defender(s) get in the backfield.

Reactions: herkhatescy
Agreed. I think adding him helps, but honestly I think losing goodson helps too. He'd be great with space, but we need guys that can at least fight their way back to the los instead of dancing and putting us at 2nd and 14 etc when defender(s) get in the backfield.

Idk if it was him or combination of him being frustrated by the o line, but Tyler fell into the trap of dancing around too often, trying to hit that big gain, rather than just accepting the short gain to stay on schedule.

We’ve all talked repeatedly about all the struggles on offense last year, didn’t Tyler rank near the top for most negative carries as well?

Idk if it was him or combination of him being frustrated by the o line, but Tyler fell into the trap of dancing around too often, trying to hit that big gain, rather than just accepting the short gain to stay on schedule.

We’ve all talked repeatedly about all the struggles on offense last year, didn’t Tyler rank near the top for most negative carries as well?
No clue, but I wouldn't be surprised. Def always tried turning nothing into everything and it very rarely happened.

No chance within a year or two?

McCann was the starter in his 2nd year at Iowa, although injured most of the season.

Brad Banks started as JUCO in his second Iowa season.

Nate Chandler started as a JUCO in his second Iowa season.

Drew Tate started from beginning of 2nd season-for three years.

Jake C started from beginning of 2nd season and two more games the next season.

Ricky S started three games into his 2nd season and for the rest of his career. Then the NFL for a while.

Jake Rudock started Game 1 of his soph season and every game that year, and until the bowl game, every game he was healthy the next season. Then Michigan and then the NFL.

Nate Stanley started at the beginning of soph season and every game thereafter.

That's 8 QBs that became starters in their second season, for a total of 15 seasons.

Obviously no second-year player was going to take CJ's job.

Vandenberg's senior year is the only time I felt the decision to play a wounded starter was not a net + for the team. We had nothing to lose by playing Rudock since we weren't going to a bowl game.

The other guys, Vandenberg rode the pine for two seasons, certainly not starting over Ricky, then turned in one of the ten best single seasons in Iowa history before the injury. Other than guys like Mullins and that Beutjer guy who only played because of Mann's injury, really most Iowa QB start as sophs and for 3 seasons.

Last edited:
Reactions: cmhawks99
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT