ADVERTISEMENT

**** Men's NCAA Tournament ****

What a giant screw up by Oregon... Why not sub out your 60% FT shooter when you KNOW CREIGHTON is going to foul you.

LOL.

The players also seemed to not know that the ball had been handed to the inbounder.... 2 seconds went by before they tried to get open.
That was a fun game to watch
So far the victories are evenly spread around the country with all the major leagues getting at least one thru to sweet 16 with ACC getting the 2 n.carolina schools in.

Today if PU comes thru along with Houston and UConn it should be a solid showing by big leagues.
Cinderella time is flickering.
The pandemic distortion is settling out.
Back to the usual suspects.

So far the victories are evenly spread around the country with all the major leagues getting at least one thru to sweet 16 with ACC getting the 2 n.carolina schools in.

Today if PU comes thru along with Houston and UConn it should be a solid showing by big leagues.
Cinderella time is flickering.
The pandemic distortion is settling out.
Back to the usual suspects.
Huh?

The granting of an extra year due to covid changed the dynamic for some rosters in recent years.
Last year's FF was Fau, San Diego, with UConn the only blueblood.

I believe that aberration is fading out and power conference schools will be back at the FF.

The granting of an extra year due to covid changed the dynamic for some rosters in recent years.

I believe that aberration is fading out and power conference schools will be back at the FF.
Yes.

The financial dynamics are a P5 powerhouse is going to have more fans and thus more NIL money than small schools, with special exceptions for schools that have a Billionaire sponsor.

I would wonder about future of program like Gonzaga---especially after Few puts on some more years. I can't imagine their fan base is large enough to donate a lot of NIL money and I don't think they have a billionaire.

OK, that makes sense.

But with the portal you also have underachieving/ underdeveloped high major players going down a level.

Utah St and Oakland both have big ten transfers that player well for them.

Those two are both on my underdog list to win it all. Too bad they’re playing so early.

Have always liked Shaka Smart as a potential Iowa coach. He washed out at Texas but I do think he could a guy who could recruit athletic guys to Iowa.
Can we double Marquette salary?

I agree recruiting is the key. The Hawks have usually had inside edge in In-state recruiting---we've needed a coach that had charisma to bring in out of state recruits. That said, Iowa probably losing the edge in-state to anyone athletic that wants to play on a higher achieving team or more NIL money---ISU clearly the better program right now.

I'd be thrilled with Shaka Smart if it could happen. I would like a coach that will engage with the big donor base and start raising more NIL money. There is less bang for your buck in giving ever escalating coaching salaries vs finding younger guy with more energy/charisma/salesmanship. There hasn't been a good correlation with coaching pay and performance. in B1G....Painter middling pay in B1G, best performance. Holtzman of OSU top pay, just got fired---the new OSU guy they hired is only $2.5 million/yr but motivated. Woodson looks like a flop at Indiana...meanwhile sleezy Underwood having success.

Marquette leads 79-76 with 21.2 seconds left. Colorado 2 FTs. Missed the 1st one ... made the 2nd. 2 point game.

Colorado only 3 team fouls will hurt them.

I agree recruiting is the key. The Hawks have usually had inside edge in In-state recruiting---we've needed a coach that had charisma to bring in out of state recruits. That said, Iowa probably losing the edge in-state to anyone athletic that wants to play on a higher achieving team or more NIL money---ISU clearly the better program right now.

I'd be thrilled with Shaka Smart if it could happen. I would like a coach that will engage with the big donor base and start raising more NIL money. There is less bang for your buck in giving ever escalating coaching salaries vs finding younger guy with more energy/charisma/salesmanship. There hasn't been a good correlation with coaching pay and performance. in B1G....Painter middling pay in B1G, best performance. Holtzman of OSU top pay, just got fired---the new OSU guy they hired is only $2.5 million/yr but motivated. Woodson looks like a flop at Indiana...meanwhile sleezy Underwood having success.
I think Iowa can do better with basketball NIL if the fans are excited about the potential of the product.

Right now people aren't even willing to go to the games so obviously they aren't going to give money.

If the school wants to be competitive they have to figure out how to redirect some of the bigger booster money to the swarm vs to the school.

Have always liked Shaka Smart as a potential Iowa coach. He washed out at Texas but I do think he could a guy who could recruit athletic guys to Iowa.
I was thinking the same, no way we could get him now though - I seem to recall that the Illini were in pursuant after his VCU success, and I was very worried they would get him...😨

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
He is from Milwaukee he is not leaving

I think Iowa can do better with basketball NIL if the fans are excited about the potential of the product.

Right now people aren't even willing to go to the games so obviously they aren't going to give money.

If the school wants to be competitive they have to figure out how to redirect some of the bigger booster money to the swarm vs to the school.
Attendance at the Big Ten tournament was a good indication of fan interest in men's basketball. Poorly attended and not much enthusiasm from those that did attend.
ISU took over KC.

Reactions: RocknRollface
Purdue getting away with jumping all over Utah state players on offensive rebounds

Seems like this season its been okay to go over the back, which is great for Purdue.

Utah St. not playing a smart game. Utah St. coach is heck of an accumulator of talent, not so good a game plan. Van Gundy is correct, if Eddey has the ball in the block you're better off conceding the basket instead of getting all your bigs in foul trouble and getting Purdue into bonus so early. That blond surfer dude that came off the bench and took a couple ill advised shots shouldn't have been playing.

PU finally got the ball into Edey.
Painter has to be telling them that Edey must touch the ball in every possession...good things happen when he does.

Seems like this season its been okay to go over the back, which is great for Purdue.

Utah St. not playing a smart game. Utah St. coach is heck of an accumulator of talent, not so good a game plan. Van Gundy is correct, if Eddey has the ball in the block you're better off conceding the basket instead of getting all your bigs in foul trouble and getting Purdue into bonus so early. That blond surfer dude that came off the bench and took a couple ill advised shots shouldn't have been playing.
He's their version of Brauns.

The starting 5 and the backup 5 both got really bad ticky tack fouls called on them.

That basically ended Utah St ability to be competitive in this game.

With Johnson in Utah St is a tough matchup for Edey because he's an excellent 3pt shooter.

Thats why they need to box out too much ball watching but hey these kids these days never box their man out so nevermind

Teams double team Edey and both players are on Edey so when there are misses, there is always an unaccounted Purdue free runner to the basket. Then you got Edey himself that is vacuum cleaner and allowed to go over the back.

Iowa got outrebounded by Purdue at Carver 50-24---Utah St. using similar game plan.

Reactions: Rambler Hawk

surfer dude was a bull in a china shop...LMAO

200w.gif

Reactions: Hawksfor3
If you don't enjoy watching the way Purdue is playing today, then basketball is just not your thing. Great ball movement, great movement off the ball, creating passing lanes, great understanding of space and mismatches, no one cares whose turn it is to score.
This Utah St.-Purdue game makes a strong case for a mercy rule in the NCAA.

It probably helped SDSU (they had 3 5th yr covid guys) but a lot of teams did. (FAU only had one 5th year guy) The 2021 FF was all big schools and 2022 could not have been more blue blood. We just saw 2 teams make it last year rather than 1 like Loyola-Chicago in 2018 or Wichita St in 2013. It's also easy to forget the little guys that came within a game but fell short. Sometimes the little guys get hot, which is what makes it fun. I think we'll continue to see that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT