ADVERTISEMENT

Murray twins

Status
Not open for further replies.
The one with 237 replies and over 25K views? Who would have thought to look there? :D

2be9f8777740c756aacdb0a022d44c1c.gif

Really nice informative story with videos and quotes from their coach and their dad, @PHawkKenyon .

And as you will read, for both of them, through the last year, their DME Academy coach had around 40 Division I coaches reach out to him asking about both of them, from low major to high major.

I think you will like A LOT of what you read.

LINK to this FREE story: https://www.si.com/college/iowa/basketball/murrays-recruit-041320
Appreciate you posting. Good read!

Appreciate you posting. Good read!
You are welcome.

Lets face it. The 2020 class has taken some heat/criticism. I thought it was a good story where it shed some positive light on their journey. And as you can see from the orig post, the twins' dad appreciated the post as well (PHawkKenyon is Kenyon Murray). ;)

Last edited:
They seem to have developed a great deal post HS. The extra year has done them wonders. Oh and I want to keep this original post on the first page. :cool:

Really nice informative story with videos and quotes from their coach and their dad, @PHawkKenyon .

And as you will read, for both of them, through the last year, their DME Academy coach had around 40 Division I coaches reach out to him asking about both of them, from low major to high major.

I think you will like A LOT of what you read.

LINK to this FREE story: https://www.si.com/college/iowa/basketball/murrays-recruit-041320
Great read. Thanks for posting! Good stuff … Sounds like they are both working hard on their games and their year at the Academy is/was time well spent!

This is serious shit, guys! Do you realize how dangerous it is to have multiple threads on the same topic?!?! Especially with all of the important Hawkeye related stuff going on right now! Legend took that giant dildo out of his ass to read this post...and for what?
LOL, message boards are serious man.

Reactions: Franisdaman
Thanks OP! I for one appreciate you clearly posting a link to an article of interest.

In the future, as others on this thread have mentioned, I will know to click into threads with hundreds of posts and sift through all the bickering in hopes of finding links to articles I didn’t know existed. That evidently is a more efficient way to go about life. It’s how the government would do it. So it must be the best way.

How many Iowa high school grads take advantage of these academy opportunities? I know Wegher went to IMG. Others?
Not a lot take this road. Like I said in another post, we had to make a "modest" financial investment in their future which has paid off and not everyone can swing it. They didn't want to go to Florida, but it was Fran's recommendation to find a prep school that they could develop at. That commitment from my boys led to the continued interest from Iowa and what got them here.

Not a lot take this road. Like I said in another post, we had to make a "modest" financial investment in their future which has paid off and not everyone can swing it. They didn't want to go to Florida, but it was Fran's recommendation to find a prep school that they could develop at. That commitment from my boys led to the continued interest from Iowa and what got them here.
Worth it just for the 2 scholarships! And the boys get to where the Black and Gold. Looking forward to watching them over then next 4 years!

It is amazing how far they came in a year. Talent + Hard work = success!

With Cordell gone to V Tech and Jack a complete unknown at this point, the Special Ks, or at least one of them, are going to be needed to play meaningful minutes in conference games.

Jack playing minutes anywhere but Luka's reserve (assuming....) would be surprising to me. He wasn't very athletic before the major injury.

Ogu doesn't appear to have much of stretch game, although there hasn't been much video on him. There's a lot of video of the Ks and playing against better competition than they would face in HS almost anywhere. They both look pretty good.

They've probably played a good deal of ball against former, admittedly superannuated Big Ten players so the boys have some idea of what they're in for when they hit Big Ten play.

I've watched highlight clips of prospects for many years and usually take everything I see in them with a grain of salt. With that said, watching highlights of your boys, I'm not seeing a lot of difference between them and some others who are ranked in or around the Top 100. They seem to have great length, respectable athleticism, and shoot the ball at a high percentage.

So, my question is, do you believe your kids were overlooked because they developed so late and/or did moving down to Florida cause them to be evaluated too late in the game, which kept them from moving up in the ratings?

I don't really care about the ratings, I was just curious if you had any insight on how that all works.

Last, I love legacy recruits. I was pretty young when Roy Marble was at Iowa in the 1980s, but I remember that '92-'93 season (for many reasons) vividly. I'm really looking forward to seeing your boys don the black and gold. Best wishes.

With Cordell gone to V Tech and Jack a complete unknown at this point, the Special Ks, or at least one of them, are going to be needed to play meaningful minutes in conference games.

Jack playing minutes anywhere but Luka's reserve (assuming....) would be surprising to me. He wasn't very athletic before the major injury.

Ogu doesn't appear to have much of stretch game, although there hasn't been much video on him. There's a lot of video of the Ks and playing against better competition than they would face in HS almost anywhere. They both look pretty good.

They've probably played a good deal of ball against former, admittedly superannuated Big Ten players so the boys have some idea of what they're in for when they hit Big Ten play.
Do they like being called date rape drugs? ;)

I've watched highlight clips of prospects for many years and usually take everything I see in them with a grain of salt. With that said, watching highlights of your boys, I'm not seeing a lot of difference between them and some others who are ranked in or around the Top 100. They seem to have great length, respectable athleticism, and shoot the ball at a high percentage.

So, my question is, do you believe your kids were overlooked because they developed so late and/or did moving down to Florida cause them to be evaluated too late in the game, which kept them from moving up in the ratings?

I don't really care about the ratings, I was just curious if you had any insight on how that all works.

Last, I love legacy recruits. I was pretty young when Roy Marble was at Iowa in the 1980s, but I remember that '92-'93 season (for many reasons) vividly. I'm really looking forward to seeing your boys don the black and gold. Best wishes.
There are three reason I believe they were somewhat over looked. 1) They developed physically later than other players. 2) Being twins that wanted to play together was an obstacle to coaches looking at their scholarship numbers. 3) They are from Iowa. On the last point, tell me how they go to Florida, practice at DME for 3 weeks, play in a 2 day showcase and have 40-50 coaches calling about them? Location, location, location!

If P Mac cannot play both Murray boys will probably get all the PT they can handle. The Hawks already appear to need one of those kids ready to play Ryan's minutes as "the 4", just in case I didn't make that point clear above. Very different roster than when they signed.

I have to confess a strong bias for the Iowa HS boys that play basketball for the U of Iowa's boys basketball team and grow into Hawkeye men. Its an even stronger bias if it involves legacies; and stronger yet if it the legacy is a well liked outstanding player.

Now, the real question is did PHawk teach those boys to bust their ass on defense like their Dad?

If P Mac cannot play both Murray boys will probably get all the PT they can handle. The Hawks already appear to need one of those kids ready to play Ryan's minutes as "the 4", just in case I didn't make that point clear above. Very different roster than when they signed.

I have to confess a strong bias for the Iowa HS boys that play basketball for the U of Iowa's boys basketball team and grow into Hawkeye men. Its an even stronger bias if it involves legacies; and stronger yet if it the legacy is a well liked outstanding player.

Now, the real question is did PHawk teach those boys to bust their ass on defense like their Dad?

They dont have the wingspan or sheer size of Kriener, but will bring more of a 'wing 4' or '3/4' playing style, which sounds good. Kriener was more of a 4/5. We will need at least 2 big bodies against certain teams. Hoping that is Garza + Nunge.

They dont have the wingspan or sheer size of Kriener, but will bring more of a 'wing 4' or '3/4' playing style, which sounds good. Kriener was more of a 4/5. We will need at least 2 big bodies against certain teams. Hoping that is Garza + Nunge.
And from what I can tell, both don't seem to mind mixing it up on the glass to get rebounds.

Good point, and a better way of stating my proposition. Luka and Jack are a more traditional "twin towers" approach to the high low game. I too typically prefer the "4" to have the ability to defend other guys that are 6'8"ish and have some open court game. Jack cannot, or at least has not shown, any ability to defend out of the lane. Hence the opportunity for at least one Murray to get into the regular rotation.

Side note - when Kenyon’s name came up I always thought of Battle Creek. Sounded cool back then.

I couldn't get the video to play. Bummer.

The Murray boys certainly have looked good on most of their other video, and you can see nearly entire games. I could see one of them getting heavy minutes when we upsize C Mac at the 4 spot.

Basically, one of them is going to take Cordell's minutes, and maybe more if Jack isn't ready and Ogu can't really defend outside the lane. Play good enough defense so not to offset the other players good defense, get some boards and look for the open shots and garbage around the basket is really all we need and that for only 7-10 minutes a game.

Last edited:
Reactions: perryhawk
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT