ADVERTISEMENT

Official Portal Watch

Pretty sure Mason did give a verbal to Cornell the year his brother was there.
Did he? I think the assumption was that he was going to follow Eric there, but I don't think there was any official commitment.

It does seem like he's most likely to end up at Rutgers, but he just said he was withdrawing the commitment (and that he was thankful to Penn State for making the process easy and friendly). He would be a real upgrade at 133 for Iowa, but it's obvious that the reason he is leaving is that he doesn't see a future where he can start at Penn State with Davis's emergence, two more years with Nagao, and Lilledahl coming in this year and Desmond next year, so I guess it comes down to what you are looking for? An upgrade or someone who can win against Penn State?

Last edited:
Did he? I think the assumption was that he was going to follow Eric there, but I don't think there was any official commitment.

It does seem like he's most likely to end up at Rutgers, but he just said he was withdrawing the commitment (and that he was thankful to Penn State for making the process easy and friendly). He would be a real upgrade at 133 for Iowa, but it's obvious that the reason he is leaving is that he doesn't see a future where he can start at Penn State with Davis's emergence, two more years with Nagao, and Lilledahl coming in this year and Desmond next year, so I guess it comes down to what you are looking for? An upgrade or someone who can win against Penn State?
That’s actually what I thought to
Thought he had committed to Cornell for a brief time cause his brother was there

eh idk about that. he’s not the same guy he used to be and has a low ceiling imo. he does fit the brands type tho.

Reactions: dicemen99
This board is becoming desperate understandably. However, the real issue as all know is talent. Sanderson brings in the best. Many of his guys are ranked top 3 at their weight clsss. Everyone else has guys ranked 10-4. with some exceptions. There is a big difference between a top ranked kid and somebody outside the top 3. Many teams are forced to wrestle to try to keep matches close when outclassed. They are simply that good. That's why wrestling is so fun there because they win and see the fruit of their of their efforts with confidence in moving to a higher level. I'm not arguing against sub optimization with some coaching changes and style changes but I believe most of the banter is desperation and frustration with few answers that Tom is not aware of. There is no clear path to overturning the PSU empire. I think Tom is a great coach and when he has the horses he has won. The reality is PSU has the horses. Other teams get a few of the great ones because PSU can't get then all. So how do we beat the OSU's and Michs. for those? I think Tom's coaching would look a lot different to most of us if he had 5 #1s and a bunch of 2-3 raked kids. Maybe a coaching change would bring a temporary surge with excitement of a new beginning, but I caution all to think about what they may be losing.
The coaching change maybe would bring in more of those top guys. If Tom really does stubbornly refuse to cater to them, that could be part of the problem. Also, the name recognition thing could be a big factor. Sure, the Brands have good credentials, but their competitive career ended before any current recruits were born. Bael is getting close to that, but he now has the program and reputation established, along with a room full of top-notch NLWC workout partners. All we have is Spencer Lee, who hopefully will keep wrestling four more years. But even his stock as a draw took a hit last year unless he can be dominant on the World scene. It's not that we don't know who the best ones are, it's that we can't pull them in. No big selling points. I hope the new facility helps some with that, but I'm skeptical that it will do much.
i have acknowledged a couple of the examples as legitimate. you act as if i think everything is roses with the program and that’s not the case at all. we just disagree about the root of the problem and that’s ok by me.

for clarity, my opinion is that the recent issues we have had late in careers is due to the Covid year leading to guys being in a college room for 6-7 years and that is too much for them physically.

my main issue with the program is the lack of evolution with the modern day style. we are stuck in the 90s and 2000s while psu is pulling away.

the good(bad) thing is that we will never know who’s right because nothing is going to change
Whatever the reason, it's obvious our technique is way behind that of most other top teams. I don't know how many more years we can stay near the top when we only finish one of every five or six good shots we take. Conversely, we only stop one or two of our opponent's five or six shots. And when the refs won't recognize who's doing the work, that compounds those problems and forces our guys to get into bad positions. That will probably never change.
The real problem is talent, but I think it is picking and getting the right horse. Go to the horse track and there are 3-4 horses all at less than 4-1 odds. Any could win the race. Cael picks that winner better than TnT do at this time. Knowing who to pick and who not to is just as important. Who has a skill set that truly translates to the college game? If you are grinding them out in high school, good defense, counter wrestler ... just because you won it all in HS .... don't expect that will hold up as well in college. Do you have some length? Can your game still be developed? These are all questions that it feels to me that Cael does better than TnT
I don't think it's picking, it's GETTING the right horses, as discussed above.
this year seemed like the attendance was way down. I have no numbers but it didnt seem like all the meets were full like in the past.
The arena has never been full for meets that aren't the top teams, traditionally, OSU, ISU and PSU, with a few exceptions here and there over the years. The U doesn't care how many butts are in the seats, just that the seats are sold. And if the program keeps sliding that will stop happening. I was honestly surprised they sold out this year. Attendance was about the same as usual this year. The schedule and scheduled times/dates can adversely affect meet-to-meet attendance, and we usually have a couple of those that make no sense.
There was open seats for every home meet including the Penn St meet. All the other duel meets were maybe half full at most.
See response above.

Reactions: Hawkgma
Yes, the rumor is Jax to Okie State. But you have to realize there are about 10 other extremely good wrestlers that Iowa could be starting to build a relationship with. Joey & Fred Bachmann, Landon Sidun, Keanu Dillard, Melvin Miller, Chase Karenbuaer, Mario Hutcherson, Sam Herring, Austin Johnson who are all top PA kids coming up. You can even look in NY at Cam Howard. I would almost bet a lot of these kids who are currently 8th-10th graders have some sort of relationship with other top schools right now, but is Iowa building that relationship with them is the question?
Hutcherson is on campus training right now, per his dad’s twitter

Reactions: IRONBIRD

Not necessarily. An upgrade to score more points at Nationals would be the goal, imo. Points in a bracket mean more than winning/losing a dual match.

Top teams going out and upgrading, TNT nah we like our guys. Good lord there’s some saying about doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. I expect few AA next year and below average finish. Can’t wait

Reactions: Fan In Black
Top teams going out and upgrading, TNT nah we like our guys. Good lord there’s some saying about doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. I expect few AA next year and below average finish. Can’t wait
Not sure what you are sniffing? We HAVE on the roster, RIGHT now, Ayla, Block, TripeV, Caliando, Arnold, Brands, and Big Ben, not to leave some others out, but ALL these kids could/should AA.

TripleV coming of injury and Big Ben playing football may be the biggest reach, others already have done it except Arnold who is a BEAST!!!

We still have no word on the "fast cars?" which could possible, maybe, help??? The next thing is to figure out how to get Kennedy in the line up?

Several others like Glazier for example could step up and get to the next level. Not going to beat F*** st, but should battle for 2nd. Understand this is NOT what we want, and that we need to get much more going and quick!!!

Not sure what you are sniffing? We HAVE on the roster, RIGHT now, Ayla, Block, TripeV, Caliando, Arnold, Brands, and Big Ben, not to leave some others out, but ALL these kids could/should AA.

TripleV coming of injury and Big Ben playing football may be the biggest reach, others already have done it except Arnold who is a BEAST!!!

We still have no word on the "fast cars?" which could possible, maybe, help??? The next thing is to figure out how to get Kennedy in the line up?

Several others like Glazier for example could step up and get to the next level. Not going to beat F*** st, but should battle for 2nd. Understand this is NOT what we want, and that we need to get much more going and quick!!!
V3 done nothing, Brands been off for over a year and 6th yr guys haven’t preformed well, BK is a fball player wrestling 1/3 of wrestling year, Block coming off a major injury unproven, Ferraris are a who knows, PK hasn’t got it done, Glazier didn’t get it done. Yeah I’m crazy to not be thrilled with the lineup.

Voinovich should/could AA???? No....... Block can be a stud if he gets past the injury and werstles like he can. The fact that there are so many guys on our roster that will never ever sniff AA status is disappointing and Tom's and Tom alones fault.

V3 done nothing, Brands been off for over a year and 6th yr guys haven’t preformed well, BK is a fball player wrestling 1/3 of wrestling year, Block coming off a major injury unproven, Ferraris are a who knows, PK hasn’t got it done, Glazier didn’t get it done. Yeah I’m crazy to not be thrilled with the lineup.
Ouch. Not cray. Pessimistic would be more appropriate, maybe. But valid.

Reactions: 12tdsaw

not sure if you have been following portal or recruiting but they ain't getting much more or quick.

he considered going in the portal all season and up until a couple hours ago.

but he's staying at Tech.
Good for him. He would have been the biggest get on the market (Hamiti arguably the better wrestler but more eligibility for Stewart).

Big bad hawkeye hater pleaded with him that iowa was a great fit. you can ask his father about it if you don't believe me.
Well keep that Hawkeye hater talking. Tj stewart is in my short list of guys I want. While you’re at it can ya call up the Blazes as well. I’ll take them both…right away. Hell I’ll even show them my favorite eating spot as long as they promise not to yell to many people about it.

Triple V was wrestling hurt all year. Kid is TUFF!!! Brands, I believe will hit the ground running and make some noise. Yes on BK, but still remains to be seen what happens. the fact that he took the mat a couple of times was encouraging. Add 40+ pounds and he beats just about anybody even wrestling part time!

Block reports are very good, Ferraris are a crap shoot at best, PK wrestle real well up a weight! Can we make it work with him and Cali? Got as much out of Glazier as one could hope for.

NOT saying be thrilled, but certainly some signs of life!!!
Voinovich should/could AA???? No....... Block can be a stud if he gets past the injury and werstles like he can. The fact that there are so many guys on our roster that will never ever sniff AA status is disappointing and Tom's and Tom alones fault.
YES, I believe a health Triple V AAs. You needed to say, "the fact that there are so many STARTERS in the line up!!!' To beat F*** st, need AA guys or better in ever weight class no doubt!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT