ADVERTISEMENT

Oliver Martin

ISM needs to become more reliable in catching and not fumbling.
I don't see how we can make much of a guess about cooper and smith, unless you go watch practices or something....
I have a friend who is at practices and the weight room, he seems to think all 3 are going to be excellent.

Certainly they have to keep working hard and getting better, but the athleticism and ability is there.

Hayden came in walking and talking in a manner that was shocking to stodgy old Iowa fans. All the "size of the dog in the fight..." home spun stuff was was flying left and right. If I'm not mistaken the first year Hayden found starting QB buried in the depths of the defense and proceeded to win a couple of games. People took notice and began to perk up their battered little ears and started to think maybe Iowa could go .500 some day. Shortly there was Gordy Bohannon, Andre Tippett and others and the ball was rolling. As Bob Cummings said after Hayden made a QB out of a 4th string DB, "well, he didn't show me much" or something to that effect. When Hayden got here I wrote him a letter pointing out the desperate situation he was taking on. I told him that "at Iowa winning is only a slogan but on Saturdays in the fall, 65,000 screaming Iowans will show up to pay homage to it". He wrote me back and told me he liked my sense of humor and we continued to write one another occasional notes for the entire time he was here. I have a lot of respect for Hayden Fry and what he did for Iowa football.

That QB was Phil Suez from dowling high. He was 5th string d back. Was an excellent QB in high school played a head of John Quin , who went to is state. That summer he told he was starting. We all rolled are eyes but he did it. Fry knew talent.

Reactions: JoelBittner
That QB was Phil Suez from dowling high. He was 5th string d back. Was an excellent QB in high school played a head of John Quin , who went to is state. That summer he told he was starting. We all rolled are eyes but he did it. Fry knew talent.
Phil Suess. Yeah I remember that. Fry also said before that season that he predicted Iowa would have its first 1,000 yard rusher as well, and no one had really heard of Dennis Mosley either (had less than 300 yards the previous year). Mosley ended that year #1 in the Big Ten in almost all offensive categories, and was ranked in the top 10 nationally in most offensive categories as well.

Last edited:
Nice joke there by Oliver.

But your coach has turned out to be the biggest joke. :cool::D:p:p:p:p

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT