ADVERTISEMENT

Oliver Martin

"Rumor has it a certain Michigan receiver is coming back home to Iowa???"

Isn't he from Iowa City? Coming home to visit family over winter break?

Had a friend call just now and say KCJJ is reporting he is exploring the option of coming back to Iowa. I assume they have sources beyond this board.

Ummm...not quite. We said there is a rumor out there that we have seen on the Michigan sites, this site and Twitter. I have no substantiation whatsover of Martin exploring his options. I would love him to transfer to Iowa but have no inside info.

Yeah good call...it's not like he has the top 3 all time receptions leaders during his era...oh wait I guess he does...

Well maybe so but at least he doesn't have the top 3 for a season....oooppss wrong again.

Well yards that's where it's at he doesn't have....oh shoot I guess he does have the top 2.

Well how about for a season....hmmm #1 and 3 of top 5, who knew...

Looks like another one of those fans without perspective moments...interesting!!!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iowa_Hawkeyes_football_statistical_leaders

Yes, and Jay Cutler is the Bears all time passing leader....impressive reasoning! I should have added the word consistently to my post but none of those guys (that were here for a few yrs) had much of a chance of ever playing at next level and its our AWFUL history with receivers that make them "all time greats".....only at Iowa.

The only NFL receivers to play in league under kirk were hayden recruits in Kasper and Hill if i recall (since all the kirk worshipers put such a premium on NFL) McNutt was drafted but hes super slow by nfl standards so didnt last.

You are delusional if you are trying to say we've had good receiving corps consistently over the years or anywhere close. Or just an epic homer.

Last edited:
Reactions: 24 so far
The only NFL receivers to play in league under kirk were hayden recruits in Kasper and Hill if i recall (since all the kirk worshipers put such a premium on NFL) McNutt was drafted but hes super slow by nfl standards so didnt last.

You are delusional if you are trying to say we've had good receiving corps consistently over the years or anywhere close. Or just an epic homer.

Kirk has had five of his receivers actually play in an NFL game. Kasper, Hill and Yamini all were inherited from Hayden, McNutt and Tevaun Smith were from his own 19 years of recruiting. Only Kasper ever caught a pass though and he was a walk on originally.

Reactions: cmhawks99
Impressive tradition.

I didn't want to knock Kirk in that regards, obviously he's put about ten tight ends in the NFL (including two he also inherited from Hayden in Flemister and Wheatley), but when folks say the cupboard was bare when he arrived it sounds so stupid trying to compare that to what Hayden inherited when he took over.

Ummm...not quite. We said there is a rumor out there that we have seen on the Michigan sites, this site and Twitter. I have no substantiation whatsover of Martin exploring his options. I would love him to transfer to Iowa but have no inside info.

Classic game of "telephone" at work.

Reactions: Suterman
Yes, and Jay Cutler is the Bears all time passing leader....impressive reasoning! I should have added the word consistently to my post but none of those guys (that were here for a few yrs) had much of a chance of ever playing at next level and its our AWFUL history with receivers that make them "all time greats".....only at Iowa.

Do you guys remember Scooby Dum....dum da dum dum.....there is so much wrong here I don't know where to start.

Lets start with the initial problem, our fans and their shockingly low football IQ. The average WR time in the NFL is still in the 4.5s and many of the greats ran very pedestrian forty times. Speed is down the list for an NFL WR. Its important, but not nearly as important as route running, route/zone awareness, timing, ball skills, catching, speration (which isn't a speed issue) etc...

By the way Marvin ran a 4.54, definitely fast enough to play WR in the NFL and here is a linked article on Wiki referencing forties and NFL combine averages between 2008-2012....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/40-yard_dash

Here is another interesting article referencing Wr "speed" ...

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2016/4/...ver-are-40-times-and-other-combine-measurable

Long winded point aside, contrary to board belief, speed isn't holding us back...

Another popular misbelief is Hayden had awesome NFL Wrs....not even close to true. Robert Smith near as I could tell never played in the NFL, Quinn Early was far and away the BEST NFL Wr we have had in 40 years.

Most of Hayden's most valuable Wr were slower possession guys that caught everything. Most of these old timers actually know this, don't know why you don't?

Timmy D had a nice NFL career (oddly enough lots of fans complained about the way Hayden used Timmy, you've likely forgotten that) Danan Hughes played, didn't do much, Gibson got a drink and Kasper was a walk-on that caught 15 passes under Hayden.

You can question my reasoning all you want but brother your memory is faulty. And my reasoning is fine...I can tell it pi*&^ you off to be wrong but the 2 men have coached the same amount of time more and less and of the top 20 All time WRs, 10 have played all or their most significant statistical years under KF...pretty hard to skew that stat.

Though I can see you are trying....

So lets review

Not a "worshipper" that's for my Lord and Savior...

Big on reality and facts, Both men have equal All-time representation..

Once again an Iowa fan assumes one of our players are "slow" by NFL standards and they are not....

Actually your most telling point was our "awful HISTORY" here at Iowa, meaning all-time with Hayden in tow....

I think we are done here....

PS...as I looked closer, because I already new what I'd find and missed the subtleties.... Several of the guys on the list for Hayden were, Marv Cook, Ronnie Harmon and some very slow possession receivers, Dave Moritz, Billy Happel, and one wasn't either mans...Al Bream in the 60's

Honestly if you guys only fixed your memories and historical perspectives, you'd probably be less angry and I'm being sincere, not shi^$%y. You are mad about crap that isn't even real...

I didn't want to knock Kirk in that regards, obviously he's put about ten tight ends in the NFL (including two he also inherited from Hayden in Flemister and Wheatley), but when folks say the cupboard was bare when he arrived it sounds so stupid trying to compare that to what Hayden inherited when he took over.

Here is the interesting thing about Iowa and this isn't my memory, its what I've been told. So some old timers would have to back this up....what Hayden did was change the culture and mindset. Iowa (and Iowa St) is how its always been told to me had "some" talent, what they lacked was discipline, confidence and a winners attitude.

This kind of verifies that....In 1976 they had 5 kids drafted...in 81, 3 more. Those surely weren't Hayden recruits. Furthermore they were actually pretty competitive right of the bat, even more confirming what I've been told....So yes, he changed 20 years of bad play, but that doesn't mean there was a "bare" cupboard

1981 2 8 36 John Harty 49ers DT
11 4 280 Matt Petrzelka Chargers T
11 25 301 Keith Cahppelle Falcons WR

1980 9 11 232 Dennis Mosley Vikings RB
9 17 238 Jim Swift Seahawks T

1979 9 7 227 Tom Rusk Giants LB
12 9 312 Dave Becker Bears DB

1978 9 11 233 Dean Moore 49ers LB
10 28 278 Barry Tomasetti Cowboys T

1976 1 14 14 Rod Walters Chiefs G
2 12 40 Jim Jensen Cowboys RB
2 24 52 Joe Devlin Bills T
7 14 196 Rod Wellington Chiefs RB
9 3 240 Warren Peiffer Saints DT

I think ISM, Smith, and Cooper have the potential to be our best WR class in many years or possibly ever. Their main adversary, stats wise, is a potentially historic TE duo and very talented backs.

I've never been more excited about our pass game potential. The key is everyone getting better, which hasn't always happened at QB & WR for some reason.

The ironic thing about Michigan and Iowa is that that Michigan only passed for 9 TD's this season which is the lowest total since 1975 and Stanley passed for 26 and really should have had 27 if Wadley wouldn't have been flagged for high stepping. The perception was Iowa's passing game was so weak so why go to Iowa. I would assume Oliver would have made a different decision if this was his senior season instead of last year. I am hopeful he decides to transfer to Iowa as I think he would be an asset for us but time will tell.

I think ISM, Smith, and Cooper have the potential to be our best WR class in many years or possibly ever. Their main adversary, stats wise, is a potentially historic TE duo and very talented backs.

I've never been more excited about our pass game potential. The key is everyone getting better, which hasn't always happened at QB & WR for some reason.
I hope you are right but.. didn't Douglas, Cleveland, djk all come in the same class.. that may have been the most talented group of wrs

Reactions: cmhawks99
Michigan had 2 freshman wr's play in today's game and OM wasn't one of those playing.

Hayden came in walking and talking in a manner that was shocking to stodgy old Iowa fans. All the "size of the dog in the fight..." home spun stuff was was flying left and right. If I'm not mistaken the first year Hayden found starting QB buried in the depths of the defense and proceeded to win a couple of games. People took notice and began to perk up their battered little ears and started to think maybe Iowa could go .500 some day. Shortly there was Gordy Bohannon, Andre Tippett and others and the ball was rolling. As Bob Cummings said after Hayden made a QB out of a 4th string DB, "well, he didn't show me much" or something to that effect. When Hayden got here I wrote him a letter pointing out the desperate situation he was taking on. I told him that "at Iowa winning is only a slogan but on Saturdays in the fall, 65,000 screaming Iowans will show up to pay homage to it". He wrote me back and told me he liked my sense of humor and we continued to write one another occasional notes for the entire time he was here. I have a lot of respect for Hayden Fry and what he did for Iowa football.

I hope you are right but.. didn't Douglas, Cleveland, djk all come in the same class.. that may have been the most talented group of wrs
I think these 3 have more talent, but I meant best WR class in the context of overall production:) As long as all 3 stay, shouldn't have too much trouble.

I do think these 3 have more pure athletic potential as well. Size and all 3 have speed. I only believe this probably because I think Max Cooper is dramatically underrated and is going to have a big career, and is #3 out of that group.

Ok, he red shirted. Looks like plenty of competition ahead of him.

Michigan got 9 WR commitments in the '16 and '17 classes, several highly rated players. It's a crowded position group so hard to see anyone get a ton of catches or playing time. Their wr position is basically rendered pedestrian by subpar quarterbacking.

ISM needs to become more reliable in catching and not fumbling.
I don't see how we can make much of a guess about cooper and smith, unless you go watch practices or something....

Martin isn’t leaving Michigan. It’s been confirmed.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT