ADVERTISEMENT

Only Iowa can simultaneously have

goodbyebobby

HR Legend
Mar 27, 2002
The worst offense in one sport and the worst defense in the other.

To Kirk's credit his teams are fighters. Fran's teams hate defense and absolutely retreat versus fight.

We look like a Y league team. Bunch of scrawny high school boys playing grown men, yet they're all relatively the same age.

I'll miss Kirk, I won't miss Fran.

To Kirk's credit his teams are fighters. Fran's teams hate defense and absolutely retreat versus fight.

We look like a Y league team. Bunch of scrawny high school boys playing grown men, yet they're all relatively the same age.

I've thought about that too. The under in football and over in hoops just keeps winning $$$ crazy the polar opposites.

Fran doesn't have a stud assistant coach on defense and my take is it is all Fran's show. The starting lineup can't defend.

It's a sick joke by the sporting gods.

its a shame. Defense has always been terrible under Fran but this starting lineup is absolutely brutal and has no chance of stopping teams.

Krikke is way too undersized to be playing the 5.

Pat couldn’t cover anyone but is also way too fragile to cover the 4.

Sandfort might be the only player playing the correct position but he’s to slow to keep up with the 3 position.

Perkins would be better at pg but he cant handle the ball.

Dix could would be better playing the 2 position but he can’t cover anyone with some athletic ability.

Basically everyone on the starting 5 is playing out of position.
Fran thinks his teams can play positionless basketball but they can’t at all.

Freeman needs to start at the 5 and Bowen needs to be back at PG. Put Pat on the bench and start krikke at the 4 spot.
Not that it will change much but it’s by far the better lineup.

it's quite unbelievable the polar opposite approach to both teams

KF: stout defense, force teams to have to execute perfectly to score against you

FM: try and outscore your opponent, waste as little energy as possible on defense

Pat couldn’t cover anyone but is also way too fragile to cover the 4.
Pat doesn't play D period.

0 fouls in 17 minutes. It's not an anomaly with him...he gives ground and tries to avoid fouling when playing D. It's insanely frustrating to watch.

PMAC season

235 minutes played. 3 fouls.

That's friggin crazy. If he doesn't score he offers absolutely nothing defensively...nothing.

I was a huge CMac defender because he did all the little things. Unless PMac scores he's a negative on the floor.

0 fouls in 17 minutes. It's not an anomaly with him...he gives ground and tries to avoid fouling when playing D. It's insanely frustrating to watch.

PMAC season

That's friggin crazy. If he doesn't score he offers absolutely nothing defensively...nothing.

I was a huge CMac defender because he did all the little things. Unless PMac scores he's a negative on the floor.

Been that way every year. And yet he averages around 20 minutes +- every game.

Reactions: binsfeldcyhawk2
Fran doesn't have a stud assistant coach on defense and my take is it is all Fran's show. The starting lineup can't defend.
You could hire the defensive AP coach of the year and it wouldn’t matter if you keep throwing slow white guys out on the court year after year. Thats the issue.

Last edited:
It comes down to recruiting. Fran caught lightening in a bottle with Garza and the Murray twins. He could never really close on big time recruits or even get highly touted transfers. Creighton and ISU are out recruiting them and it shows on the court.

There are good players on this squad. The first half against Creigton was a good team, in which our defense came out active - getting in the lanes, causing turnovers, and rebounding. What happened?

Fran needs to call up Jim Boheim. Can he give Fran some pointers on how to play zone defense? They are so out of position during the entire game, it's embarassing. Maybe even have Phil Parker walk on over, he could give pointers on space and angles and playing in your correct zone. I'm being honest here - it's not rocket science.

it's quite unbelievable the polar opposite approach to both teams

KF: stout defense, force teams to have to execute perfectly to score against you

FM: try and outscore your opponent, waste as little energy as possible on defense
Fran has his players approaching defense with the mindset that you can only foul if you play defense, and you have to sit once you hit 2 fouls..........

PMAC season

Patrick drives me nuts. If he had a little fight in him like pops, mom and Connor he could be really good. Maybe beating cancer killed that competitive fire. Instead he hangs out and looks for 3's. He should be bodying up and attacking rims on both ends. So sad and looks like he put on good weight but doesn't use it. Maybe he's just not that into it b/c his energy out there sucks.

Patrick drives me nuts. If he had a little fight in him like pops, mom and Connor he could be really good. Maybe beating cancer killed that competitive fire. Instead he hangs out and looks for 3's. He should be bodying up and attacking rims on both ends. So sad and looks like he put on good weight but doesn't use it. Maybe he's just not that into it b/c his energy out there sucks.

Don't want to pick on the kid but you'd expect a little more off the ball stuff from a coaches son. I'm not sure I've ever seen him set a screen. Take a charge...try to take a charge.

Deliberately foul someone near the basket.

If the opposing teams scouting reports don't say drive on the coaches son...they're doing it wrong.

Reactions: Capital1Hawk
can we bring back lickliter to be an assistant coach just for defense?

Agreed. For all their issues I can ride with Kirk and his guys because they don't quit on each other or whom ever their playing against.

They could at least play like the LMU of old and make it fun to watch.
Sans the ability of our players we
There are good players on this squad. The first half against Creigton was a good team, in which our defense came out active - getting in the lanes, causing turnovers, and rebounding. What happened?

Fran needs to call up Jim Boheim. Can he give Fran some pointers on how to play zone defense? They are so out of position during the entire game, it's embarassing. Maybe even have Phil Parker walk on over, he could give pointers on space and angles and playing in your correct zone. I'm being honest here - it's not rocket science.
He's been a coach for what, 25 years?
We know what we have and it ain't changing.

Fran could call any and every basketball coach or assistant in the country for pointers on defense if he wanted too.

The problem isn’t lack of options for help, the problem is he doesn't think there's a need.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT