ADVERTISEMENT

Piggyback question, which hawk players are absolutely out of playing time eligibility post bowl game?

uihawk82

HR All-American
Nov 17, 2021
I remember reading Noah Shannon is for sure out of playing time after this season. Does anyone know which other players on the roster this year have totally used up their playing time?

This thread piggybacks on the recent thread about which players might come back.

I remember reading Noah Shannon is for sure out of playing time after this season. Does anyone know which other players on the roster this year have totally used up their playing time?

This thread piggybacks on the recent thread about which players might come back.
Eric All?

Defense will take a hit.
Starters….
Logan Lee
Quinn Shulte
Joe Evans
Nick Jackson
Jay Higgins

Both CBs will probably declare. PP has a job rebuilding LB and secondary units.

Reactions: MitchLL
Lee, Schulte, and Higgins all have a Covid year if they want to use it.
Higgins is a true senior too. Ferentz said in 20’ when he played ST didn’t have to worry about 4 game rule and technically burned rs but as you stated has his Covid year. With huge year he had less chance he returns but you just never know. Psu T projected top 15 pick returned last year. Just never know what’s in the mind of 22-23 year olds. But one thing is for sure the Higgins family loves Iowa city.

Reactions: Torg
On a side note...Xavier Nwampka really needs to step up his game.
Had an extremely rough game vs Nebby with missed tackles and whiffs when he blitzed.
Hopefully he improves.
I think the portal will be extremely important to Phil's success next year.

Higgins is a true senior too. Ferentz said in 20’ when he played ST didn’t have to worry about 4 game rule and technically burned rs but as you stated has his Covid year. With huge year he had less chance he returns but you just never know. Psu T projected top 15 pick returned last year. Just never know what’s in the mind of 22-23 year olds. But one thing is for sure the Higgins family loves Iowa city

he’ll want another year of experience.

Defense will take a hit.
Starters….
Logan Lee
Quinn Shulte
Joe Evans
Nick Jackson
Jay Higgins

Both cbs? Coop and who? We don’t have another nfl quality cb?

Both cbs? Coop and who? We don’t have another nfl quality cb?
Harris went through senior day and is actually a senior although Iowa's own site lists him incorrectly. In theory he has a case for 2 more seasons if he wants to pursue it.

Had an extremely rough game vs Nebby with missed tackles and whiffs when he blitzed.
Hopefully he improves.
Hes still playing one handed i think.

Defense will take a hit.
Starters….
Logan Lee
Quinn Shulte
Joe Evans
Nick Jackson
Jay Higgins

Harris can declare but I think he needs another season showing higher percentage of good coverage. Deshaun Lee only has 5 starts to his career, he would have to be taken on spec. He is really good but you have to keep proving it over the long haul to get drafted.

Let's see how these two do, I hope really well, against Mich and a top bowl opponent

Reactions: ButtersHawk
The fact is we don’t know who is ready to step in and play. Lee looks like the real deal at CB. There might be some LBs ready to step up. Anterio Thompson might be ready to pick up Logan Lees snaps at DT.

I think the DLine depth is still good without the portal.
DE- Craig, Hurkett, Llewlelyn?, Allen Jr
DT- Black, Graves, Thompson, Pittman

Gonna probably need help at LB and Secondary. If one at each level decides to come back like Higgins and Schulte the D can be very stingy again next season.

He hasn't had a good year, imo.
Im with you here but I'm also not if that makes sense. He hasn't impressed me either but I can't seem to remember teams this year throwing on us over the middle a ton especially past 10-15 yards compared to other years. I think the last 3 years of offensive futility combined with all our wins has just boosted PP and D's reputation. I think this year teams have made a VERY BIG effort to try and nickel and dime us. Combine that with our offense other teams are more than happy to punt themselves.

Reactions: MitchLL
Hopefully he improves.
I keep seeing this and yet Iowa, with him as the starting free safety, is leading the entire FBS in yards per completion and is second in yards per attempt. PFF rates him as the 32nd best safety out of 300+ players. He's in his first year starting and he's been wearing a cast for half the year.

Defense will take a hit.
Starters….
Logan Lee
Quinn Shulte
Joe Evans
Nick Jackson
Jay Higgins

You left out Castro unless you're considering him a corner. Phil has some work to do, but he's in reload mode. Lee has shown he can start and play at a high level. I think that the line and safeties are in pretty good shape. I could see Iowa picking up another corner and a linebacker off the portal. Defense has to take a step back one of these years, but Phil will have them molded into a top 10 unit by the 3rd or 4th game again, just like he always does. I don't know of any upper classmen on the offensive side that I'd be concerned about losing.

Speaking of portal talk I'd love us to throw some $ at a legit LT. I think a good LT can kick Richman to RT and then Dunker can kick into guard where I think he should be.
LT?
LG Dunker
C Jones/Ellsbury
RG Colby
RT Richman

That could be a good OL without wishing or hoping for the world.

You left out Castro unless you're considering him a corner. Phil has some work to do, but he's in reload mode. Lee has shown he can start and play at a high level. I think that the line and safeties are in pretty good shape. I could see Iowa picking up another corner and a linebacker off the portal. Defense has to take a step back one of these years, but Phil will have them molded into a top 10 unit by the 3rd or 4th game again, just like he always does. I don't know of any upper classmen on the offensive side that I'd be concerned about losing.
My mistake. Castro will be a huge loss. Love the way that guy plays.

I agree with your prediction on portal pickups, epecially LB ....maybe another grad transfer until Ben Kueter gets up to speed.

Reactions: Capital1Hawk
I think the DLine depth is still good without the portal.
DE- Craig, Hurkett, Llewlelyn?, Allen Jr
DT- Black, Graves, Thompson, Pittman

Gonna probably need help at LB and Secondary. If one at each level decides to come back like Higgins and Schulte the D can be very stingy again next season.
I thought Craig came back for his last year

I keep seeing this and yet Iowa, with him as the starting free safety, is leading the entire FBS in yards per completion and is second in yards per attempt. PFF rates him as the 32nd best safety out of 300+ players. He's in his first year starting and he's been wearing a cast for half the year.
Sometimes with DBs the less you hear about them, the better right?

I didn't say he didn't have an excuse, but he was far from the 5* player fans might have hoped for.
If you watched tOSU/Michigan game...Styles from tOSU and X were the top two safties in that recruiting class.

I didn't say he didn't have an excuse, but he was far from the 5* player fans might have hoped for.
If you watched tOSU/Michigan game...Styles from tOSU and X were the top two safties in that recruiting class.
The cast limits him of course, but I still think you're selling him short. The primary objective of the free safety (especially in Phil's defense) is to eliminate big plays. Iowa has been best in the country at that.

Reactions: DogBoyRy
Guys that are absolutely out of eligibility:
Evans, Shannon, jackson? Dejong?
All? Ragaini.
Is that it?
C'mon NIL...bringem all back!

What about OL Rusty Feth and Daijon Parker? The Iowa website lists them both as graduate transfers, but depending on if they redshirted and want to use their COVID year, I think they could have 2 years of eligibility after the transfer.

The cast limits him of course, but I still think you're selling him short. The primary objective of the free safety (especially in Phil's defense) is to eliminate big plays. Iowa has been best in the country at that.
The 1A objective of Phil's free safeties is just like Norm's which is to intercept those overthrown passes especially when the pass rush forces bad throws

Guys that are absolutely out of eligibility:
Evans, Shannon, jackson? Dejong?
All? Ragaini.
Is that it?
C'mon NIL...bringem all back!
Dejong and All should have a covid year if they want it. The rest in your post I think are officially out of eligibility barring Jordan Bohannon finding them a loophole.

Reactions: intrepodor
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT