Ted Friedman--UNI
Billy Daniel--Truman State
Michael Soukup--Iowa
Kalund Brown--ex-Ellsworth CC
Kalehl Brown--ex-Ellsworth CC
Scott Wilson--ex-Iowa Central CC
Jaden Durr--Clarke College

Thanks for the post Tom.
At first blush, team 4 with Price, Basabe, Jones, Hutton could be tough.

Thanks for the post Tom.
At first blush, team 4 with Price, Basabe, Jones, Hutton could be tough.

I wonder how much Mel will actually play. I would think he'd have gone in the first round if he expected to play the whole PTL season.

What is up with Basabe? I was hoping Euro league worked out for him... Good to see him, Gatens, and Price supporting the young team.

I am saying Settles' team or Gesell's team wins it.

BUT you can NEVER count out AC. That guy can take over, and he has a good supporting cast... If AC could only transfer that to the B1G.....#Clemmons

What is up with Basabe? I was hoping Euro league worked out for him... Good to see him, Gatens, and Price supporting the young team.

Basabe is doing fine. Actually had a very good year overseas and will likely return over there. He's simply back in the Iowa City area over the summer.

Reactions: LaoHawk
I thought I read they needed 8 to comply with the two players per team thing.

Walkons must not count towards the 2?

I thought I read they needed 8 to comply with the two players per team thing.

Walkons must not count towards the 2?
It looks as though they fit in all of the scholarship players. I am guessing, though, that they wanted 8 teams instead of 7 to avoid byes.

There used to be lot more involvement from local JC's like Kirkwood and Southeastern. Not sure why that has dropped off. And it looks like Upper Iowa University has backed out completely. Apparently a number of UNI players aren't participating for whatever reason also. And I'm assuming most of the area top high school talent is too busy with other activities.

Apparently a number of UNI players aren't participating
?? There are 13 of them drafted.

Apparently a number of UNI players aren't participating
?? There are 13 of them drafted.

Your statement is correct. So is mine. Koch and Olson for starters.

Will miss seeing such PTL veterans as Keith Steffeck, Dallas Hodges and Kyle Schlak. I am getting old.

Happy to see Ellingson and Fleming playing with Matt Gatens. Those two can learn a lot about their position from watching and playing against Matt G. Nice to see the young guys exposed to leadership as well as skills. It'd be nice to see Eric May come down and teach and lead the young guys in defense, leadership and hustle.

Looked up a little about some UNI players. Justin Dahl is a 6'11" frosh with a rep for D. If he can pick up a few rebounds for Gatens, Fleming, Ellingson, and Washpun, Settles' Team 3 could be the one to beat.

I'd assume the UNI players missing (Olson and Koch) infers more about their future with the program than a negative reflection on the PTL.

My quick perusal of the UNI 2014/15 web site roster didn't seem to indicate who's on scholarship and who walked on. Last year's roster included 16 players, so, some had to be walk ons. Coach Jacobson takes flyers on developing players. More is better. At a certain point, player and staff decide, "NEXT."

Olson played 2 years @ Kirkwood, red shirted this year, will turn 22 in season, and is behind Washpun, Bohannon, Lohaus, and Haldeman for sure, and the one thing Knar has over him is youth. Toss in Morgan and Jesperson who float between forward and guard play, and if Olson wants to take the floor, it doesn't appear the McLeod Center will be the place. The fact he's from Cedar Rapids and isn't playing in the PTL suggests he has other priorities.

You'll notice Iowa walk on Charlie Rose isn't in the PTL either. He's likely working a summer job back home in the Chicago suburbs. Koch might be doing the same somewhere between Green Bay and Milwaukee.

Other potential explanations could be injuries prohibiting participation that neither the school nor athlete is mandated to disclose, or academic and transfer considerations that are being addressed over the summer.

I was initially surprised more current and local D2 and D3 players didn't answer the call, as competing against, and playing with Top 25 D1 basketball talent would seem to be fun. However, upon further reflection I realized Coe and Mount Mercy and St. Ambrose and Augustana and .... all have their own summer leagues a couple nights a week. Why commit to 2 more nights, travel not so short distances, get ten minutes a game, and pay $50 for the opportunity to try out and not be guaranteed a spot? Factor in a coach's fear his athlete might get hurt, and I suppose that's our answer.

The PTL is everything it's always been, it's only sin is it's year 30, not year 3. Arena football had a hey day, too. When it was new to Des Moines, people couldn't buy enough tickets to watch a no namer like Kurt Warner barnstorm. The Quad Cities had its infatuation a few years later with the Steamwheelers. After a few years, people found other things to do for their summer entertainment.

Easter rolls around every spring. I still like it, but it was something magical when I was 5. Posters reminiscing about the good old days should see the wild eyes of current youngsters when they get to see and touch their heroes in North Liberty and Waterloo who are often just faces on the TV screen, or distant visions from their seats in Carver or McLeod. This is the PrimeTime League's hey day for those young fans. Not much has changed. Just one's perspective.

Reactions: nu2u and DanL53
Happy to see Ellingson and Fleming playing with Matt Gatens. Those two can learn a lot about their position from watching and playing against Matt G. Nice to see the young guys exposed to leadership as well as skills. It'd be nice to see Eric May come down and teach and lead the young guys in defense, leadership and hustle.

May lives/works in Madison

I'd assume the UNI players missing (Olson and Koch) infers more about their future with the program than a negative reflection on the PTL.

My quick perusal of the UNI 2014/15 web site roster didn't seem to indicate who's on scholarship and who walked on. Last year's roster included 16 players, so, some had to be walk ons. Coach Jacobson takes flyers on developing players. More is better. At a certain point, player and staff decide, "NEXT."

Olson played 2 years @ Kirkwood, red shirted this year, will turn 22 in season, and is behind Washpun, Bohannon, Lohaus, and Haldeman for sure, and the one thing Knar has over him is youth. Toss in Morgan and Jesperson who float between forward and guard play, and if Olson wants to take the floor, it doesn't appear the McLeod Center will be the place. The fact he's from Cedar Rapids and isn't playing in the PTL suggests he has other priorities.

You'll notice Iowa walk on Charlie Rose isn't in the PTL either. He's likely working a summer job back home in the Chicago suburbs. Koch might be doing the same somewhere between Green Bay and Milwaukee.

Other potential explanations could be injuries prohibiting participation that neither the school nor athlete is mandated to disclose, or academic and transfer considerations that are being addressed over the summer.

I was initially surprised more current and local D2 and D3 players didn't answer the call, as competing against, and playing with Top 25 D1 basketball talent would seem to be fun. However, upon further reflection I realized Coe and Mount Mercy and St. Ambrose and Augustana and .... all have their own summer leagues a couple nights a week. Why commit to 2 more nights, travel not so short distances, get ten minutes a game, and pay $50 for the opportunity to try out and not be guaranteed a spot? Factor in a coach's fear his athlete might get hurt, and I suppose that's our answer.

The PTL is everything it's always been, it's only sin is it's year 30, not year 3. Arena football had a hey day, too. When it was new to Des Moines, people couldn't buy enough tickets to watch a no namer like Kurt Warner barnstorm. The Quad Cities had its infatuation a few years later with the Steamwheelers. After a few years, people found other things to do for their summer entertainment.

Easter rolls around every spring. I still like it, but it was something magical when I was 5. Posters reminiscing about the good old days should see the wild eyes of current youngsters when they get to see and touch their heroes in North Liberty and Waterloo who are often just faces on the TV screen, or distant visions from their seats in Carver or McLeod. This is the PrimeTime League's hey day for those young fans. Not much has changed. Just one's perspective.
Well I thought there was a D3 League close by, but no one answered my earlier question about it.

I enjoyed reading theories as to why certain UNI guys aren't playing but most are a little dramatic. Koch is the only scholarship guy not playing. He is just a little banged up with a back issue and is sitting out to rest it from what I understand. Koch has a good chance of being the starting center next year and Jacobson is certainly not forcing him out or "moving on".

Olsen is a walk-on so I am not sure why people are spending so much time trying to figure out that reason but he was also injured all of last season. Just because the question came up all of the UNI guys in the PTL are scholarship except Lincoln Conrey.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT