ADVERTISEMENT

Regarding recruiting in the south, here's a perfect example of the kind of

-MDVOL

HR Legend
Nov 1, 2013
player that Iowa might have gotten an interest from with just a little effort.

He's a great kid from Georgia who wanted to come to UT. Georgia didn't offer as they have a bunch of 5***** RBs already on the squad. UT has 3 of his Teammates(DL, OL, LB) already and just didn't have room for him.

He is OVing at Iowa State tomorrow. 6' tall, 200Lb RB who runs a sub 4.5-40. He also played MLB, but the staff thought him too small for that position.

According to Scout, his team won the Ga. 6-A title for the 4th straight year.

Josh Thomas.

I'm sure the he was on the coaches radar, as half of the Big10 has offered him. Sometimes things just don't work out. He's not going to Iowa State if those other offers still stand though.

so RB Higdon out of FLA is not good enough for you?

4* by 247 and a 5.7 3* 5'10 190 lbs 4.45 40 time 44th best RB and 75th best player in the state of FLA, you can't get much further south than that.

I guess the OP felt the need to take a swipe at the coaches.

Originally posted by Hawkeye2222:

Based on performance that's a pretty easy and justifiable swipe to take. Personally, this guy, MDVOL, has been respectful and objective. The fact he keeps coming back makes the board better unless you just like inbreeding with no outsiders allowed.

Originally posted by -MDVOL:

He's a great kid from Georgia who wanted to come to UT. Georgia didn't offer as they have a bunch of 5***** RBs already on the squad. UT has 3 of his Teammates(DL, OL, LB) already and just didn't have room for him.

He is OVing at Iowa State tomorrow. 6' tall, 200Lb RB who runs a sub 4.5-40. He also played MLB, but the staff thought him too small for that position.

The south has an advantage because that is where most of the top rated recruits are located. I mean its pretty obvious when the ESPN top 300 and over half of them are from SEC area. The Big 10 states might have 5-10 kids on that list. Kids want to stay close to home or at least in the area. All the top talent will go to the schools that show success and are upcoming and exciting offenses.

Iowa has none of those things going for them currently.

The south also puts a lot more emphasis on football. I know in the state of Iowa its a sport played from August-November. Then its done and coaches cannot coach or hold practices until the next August.

Down south I believe they have spring ball and also are allowed to have practices during the summer? So these kids are getting much more exposure to football and its a year around sport. Several of the kids in the midwest are expected to participate in other sports (basketball, track, baseball, wrestling). I know it sounds like excuses but it is hard. Having worked with a coach who came from Texas to Iowa, he couldn't believe all the rules that the State of Iowa has regarding sports. Not allowing the basketball teams to play in tournaments over break. Not allowing football teams to practice in the off-season. He was just shocked and actually left Iowa to go back to the South.

Iowa has to try and get someone down South to recruit. I would take a 2-3 star kid from the south over a 4 star from Iowa. Im sorry but the midwest is good for O-linemen and that's it.

Reactions: iamia

so RB Higdon out of FLA is not good enough for you
?

4* by 247 and a 5.7 3* 5'10 190 lbs 4.45 40 time 44th best RB and 75th best player in the state of FLA, you can't get much further south than that.

Is that what he said? Really?

so what's so special about this kid out of Georgia and he clearly states recruiting "THE SOUTH" and last I knew FLA is in the south and both RB Higdon and WR Falconer are both from FLA making his post irrelevant. as well as unneeded

Why do you think you get in so many arguments? Because you go looking for them. This board would be 50x better if there wasn't a 'specific poster' who goes around hijacking threads starting arguments In.every.single.one.. Look in the mirror and stop being so confrontational.

So, in your world, a team should ONLY have a single running back in a class, that running back will exceed his high school achievements once he gets to college, he will be able to carry the ball 40 times a game, never get injured, never need a breather, never get into off the field or academic troubles and competition for the spot will make him worse?

Got it.

This post was edited on 1/17 3:14 PM by -MDVOL

Originally posted by tomhawk80907:

Based on performance that's a pretty easy and justifiable swipe to take. Personally, this guy, MDVOL, has been respectful and objective. The fact he keeps coming back makes the board better unless you just like inbreeding with no outsiders allowed.
Eh, I vote for inbreeding. We're a bunch of sister-kissers here.

So, in your world, a team should ONLY have a single running back in a class, that running back will exceed his high school achievements once he gets to college, he will be able to carry the ball 40 times a game, never get injured, never need a breather, never get into off the field or academic troubles and competition for the spot will make him worse?

Got it.
Ignore him, he's the board dunce. Enjoy your posts.

are you that dence?

here will be the RB's that will be able to play
RSSR Canzeri
JR Daniels
RSSO Wadley
RSSO Parker
RSFR Hilliard

incoming FR Higdon. I guess you must be there is a chance that a 2014 RB commit will transfer from a D11 IN June. giving Iowa "SEVEN" RB's. do you think the coaches are as big of idiots as you seem to be.

also Iowa does not run players off like your coach for Tennessee does

2012 22 LOI
2013 22 LOI
2014 31 LOI
2015 28 commits and more to commit and sign?

that makes 103 in 4 years,

also Iowa gives out 4 year scholarships,

How many running backs have we had in the last four years that could turn the edge? How many healthy RB's did we have at the end of the year? How many could run a legitimate 4.4? Parker is not a running back unless we run the "jet-sweep" eight times a game.

Bully for you. BTW, commits are NOT carved in stone. I expect 3-4 on that 2015 list to SIGN elsewhere
come Feb.4. They have been recruited over.
I know that two of them ARE looking at other schools. Plus, one OG commit, Venzell Boulware moved WAY up in the rankings after having a very good senior year in high school and is taking a trip to Ohio State as C.U.M. offered him after OSU won the N/C. Hard to not be interested in a team that just won the N/C. But we already have two of his classmates from the previous year, the twin brothers of All Pro Eric Berry who also played for UT,on the team. We are hoping that family ties and close friendship wins out.

Jones came in Jan. 2013 Two players transfered out due to the coaching change. But to date, he has only "Run off" one player and that was due to an allegation of hitting his girlfriend. There wasn't even a police report but he has a No Tolerance policy. The individual, Treyvon Paulk, a RB from Georgia not only did not leave, he has stayed in school, worked in the class room and has petitioned for reinstatement as his girlfriend, from age 12 mind you who followed him to the University, said afterward that he didn't strike her but was holding her arms to make her stop slapping him.

Now, back to your list

In 2012, while Jones was still coaching at Cincinnati, the following happened,

Devante Bourque quit in August of 2012 and went back to Louisiana.

Dion Bonner didn't get into school and went JUCO.

Dante Phillips washed out as an academic failure.

Corradelle Patterson and Darrington Sentimore, Both JUCOs, left after one year for the NFL Draft. Patterson plays for the Vikings while Sentimore is back in Alabama without a college degree.

Now after Dooley was fired and Jones was hired, Daniel Grey didn't want to play for Jones so Jones helped him find another college to transfer to and released him. Grey went to Utah State to play. Same thing with Trent Taylor. He went back to Florida but I lost track of him after that. Both were slow footed DBs

Alden Hill is a Power Back from Ohio. Had Jones used a Fullback and the I formation, he would have played Fullback . But since Jones used the stupid "Spread" formation, there is no need for a Fullback. Hill was too small to play TE so he transfered to a school more suited for his talents.
W/R Drae Bowles was one of those players who was a very good high school player, but couldn't adapt to the far more complex system as well as the defensive backs of the SEC, so he transfered to a D-AA or whatever they refer to the next division in NCAA football.

Daniel McCullers was a JUCO who not only got his degree, but was picked up by Green Bay as a F/A and not only made their practice squad, but saw action. He is a D/T - N/T

R/BQuenshaun Watson was given a scholarship by Dooley when he couldn't get any of the other RB recruits to come to play for him. He was nowhere near being D-1 material, found that out after one season and quit

Nathan Peterman graduated in 3 years. As a Q/B, he was great in high School, great in practice. But during games, he was like a "Deer in the Headlights". He is weighing his options now as to whether to go elsewhere and try anew since as a Graduate Student, he has two years of eligibility and does not have to sit out.

T/E Justin Meredith suffered a career ending knee injury. It was a shame as he was very good. He tried to come back from the injury after several surgeries but had to call it quits. He received a Medical Scholarship

So subtract 13 from your 2012 class total with none of them "Run off" by Jones and lets move on. I hope you are still with me, ok?

In 2013, Jabo Lee didn't make it past the NCAA clearing House.

Malik Brown, Jason Carr and Jason Miller were all very large, somewhat slow DEs recruited by the previous coach. Jones played them as True Freshmen but none of them were fast enough to compete as DEs in the SEC. So in Spring Practice this past year, he tried them at DT along with two other DEs since we only had 2 healthy DTs . Carr who was 300 lbs, sucked at DT so he was told that he was being moved to the OL as we needed help there. He quit saying he refused to play on the OL The other two, Miller and Brown, didn't like having to play DT as they were a tad undersided so both transfered as well.

Paul Harris was a highly touted W/R out of Maryland. He played as a True Freshman, had 1 catch in the opening game and none the rest of the year. Couldn't get off the line or get separation. He transfered to a Kansas JUCO and now is on Louisville's team.

Ryland Jones was a seldom used JUCO DB who graduated this December

Woody Quinn was a JUCO TE/ VolleyBall star in California. He was also a waste of a scholarship. In two years he never saw the field a siingle time, was played over by a Walk-on from Delaware and two True Freshmen. He graduated this past December. It is a shame there was no men's Volleyball team as the University could have gotten something from him in return for the money spent on his scholarship.

Riley Ferguson is a moron. He was a Q/B who came in with Josh Dobbs, the guy who tore your defense apart in the Gator Bowl. Ferguson is BETTER. Last year, both Ferguson and Dobbs were being redshirted while Worley and Peterman were the #1 and # 2 Q/Bs. Ferguson was # 3 and Dobbs #4 Dobbs was actually heading to Arizona State on a BASEBALL Scholarship with Football being his 2nd sport when Jones got him to flip on NLOI Day using UT's Aero-Space Engineering School and the number of NASA grads who have gone through it as the incentive. Dobbs has MENSA level IQ

Peterman broke his thumb on the 1st play in his lone start, against Florida. He managed to get through the 1st half before he told the staff what had happened. Four games later Worley breaks his hand against Alabama. During that time frame, Ferguson was working out hard, expecting to be called on when he stepped wrong during practice and broke the Tibia in his left leg. That's how Dobbs got to play last year.

This year, Ferguson, figuring that he was going to be the starter since he had the most talent, coasted in spring practice and when Fall came, he got royally pissed at being listed as 4th team so he quit and blew his career chance as Peterman folded yet again and Worley took beating after beating due to the brutal early schedule and playing behind an all new OL(4 seniors and a Jr the previous year. Jr left early for the Draft) with 3 Freshman starters and the other two with a total of 5 starts between them, was slammed to the ground once too often and his right shoulder let go. Back to Dobbs again.

So subtract 8 more with NONE of them "Run off" by Jones. We're up to 21 now as 13 + 8 = 21 in pre Common Core Mathematics

Now 2014
Joe Henderson didn't get through the NCAA Clearing House. He went JUCO

Trayvon Paulk had the misfortune of being accused of hitting his childhood sweetheart just a couple of days after the Ray Rice hysteria struck. To date he is the ONLY player "Run off" by Jones

Daniel Helm is a very good TE.Could be a Great one. Great hands and is fearless even though a tad under weight for the position. Played in all 12 games as a True Freshman and started one. But he came from a deeply religious background and didn't like the "Locker-room" profanity and harsh rethoric of some of the coaches and transfered to Duke. I wish him well and applaud him for putting his Faith First in his life. He will be missed.

DE DeWayne Hendrix is from Illinois. He is still in school, fulfilling his LOI obligation, but was given time off 2-3 times during the season to go home. Distance from his family and homesickness is the problem. I am hoping he can overcome that as he has the same potential that our other True Freshman DE, Derek Barnett, the one who made your Outland Winner look bad, has.
If he does leave, Iowa could use him and I believe did recruit him before losing out to UT. He'd be a great pick up for Iowa as distance home would be far less for him. Hope that he does stay though.

Derell Scott, a RB, broke a metatarsal bone in his foot before arriving in August. He was finally cleared to play midway through the season, but in his 2nd game, he broke a bone in his hand, had to have a pin installed, and didn't see action for the rest of the year. He expected to be the #2 RB next season, but when he saw the JUCO R/B AA, The JUCO Offensive POY
Alvin Kamara commit to UT as an EE as well as the #3 APB in the nation Kendall Bussey flip from Nebraska to UT after Nebraska fired Petrino, he bailed and now will sit out a year at East Carolina University, redshirting this coming season and have three years to still play..

D'Andre Payne is a short but speedy C/B from Washington DC He, like the rest played as a True Freshman, but like Scott, saw bigger, faster recruits, including a JUCO CB being recruited in the 2015 class at the position he played and he bailed. Coaches don't recruit JUCOs unless they expect them to play right away. UT has one Junior to be C/B, Cam Sutton who has started all 25 games at UT during his Freshman and Sophomore years expected to be an AA next year already playing one of the two CB positions

Subtract 1 from 31 and that will leave you with 30 as the other 5 will still count against the 85 number until next year even though they are no longer listed as being with the team.

Add 1 + 21 and you get 22

Subtract 22 from 75 and you get, wait for the drum roll, ........................................................... TADA, 53

Now subtract 53 from 85 and you get 32

Does this answer your question on how the numbers work and don't you feel just a bit foolish talking about something you are, or rather were until I educated you, totally ignorant of?

This post was edited on 1/18 12:47 PM by -MDVOL

Did you just say
dence?
confused0006.r191677.gif

Surely you did not?

You really shouldn't have put that much effort into responding to that guy. He thinks every team with great talent cheats, facts be damned. I am impressed by your memory though.

they signed 75 in 3 years and 31 in 2014 and have 28 commits this year so how many will your coach {cut} to get to the max of

Iowa hands out 4 year scholarships not 1 year renewable scholarships.

as for this year Iowa needs LB's not RB's next years class will have 23 to give and I expect Iowa to take 2 in the 2016 class. with Iowa its anumbers game where thecoaches
coaches taking players that fill positions of need and right now that position is LB's

and that list of years did not include 2011 commits where there should be RSSR's again how many players were run off?

So, you cannot comprehend English or Mathematics. I spelled it out to you. I even typed very slowly so you could keep up and yet like a 3 yr old who was told why he shouldn't try to cut off the cat's tail with a pair of scissors, you insist in keeping on asking why, why, why?

Looks like you are the one that is, as you put it - "DENCE"

As for the 2011 class, a group from TWO YEARS before Jones set foot on the UT campus, there are but two who were on the team when Jones took over who have not yet graduated. Curt Maggitt and Trevarious Saulsberry UT didn't have the luxury of red shirting for the sake of red shirting. Didn't you hear the announcers during the Gator Bowl say that UT played 23 TRUE FRESHMEN (24 as one is a Walk-On but doesn't get mentioned )
Both have a 5th year due to torn ACLs and having to miss 1 complete season and parts of two others because of those injuries.
Saulsberry reinjured his already damaged knees after missing the 1st 5 games this season nursing his still injured knees. He was reinjured and missed the last 4 games including the Bowl Game. I look for him to be given a Medical scholarship as he has more than earned his right to to his college degree and doesn't need to be hurt any more than he already has been.

Now if you have a specific question regarding my previous post EXPLAINING in clear STEP BY STEP detail what has occurred with EACH of the last 3 signing classes and with the current recruiting class of which ONLY 10 are signed, not 28, please be specific and site the quote so we can discuss it.

To keep insisting that your idiotic claim of 101 signees and CUTTING PLAYERS was not only answered but answered in detail citing the individual players by name in the class they were a part of as well as the circumstances in which they departed ON THEIR OWN, whether by GRADUATION, Early NFL aspirations, or TRANSFER is beyond absurdity.

Now if you are just a mindless parrot, repeating the words and phrases you were taught and are not a sentient being with cognizant ability who will just keep repeating the same inane lies over and over, then I will quit wasting my time trying to educate you

This post was edited on 1/18 7:56 PM by -MDVOL

There are what, 120 FBS schools that average 20 recruits per year? That's 2,400 kids each year - sure pick one kid and say Iowa should have gone after him and he would have picked Iowa.

vol that has nothing to do with your coach signing 31 players in 2014 as the NCAA rule clearly states the limit is 25 per year and this class they have 28 commits and are looking adding more, no matter how you slice it Tennessee had these

2012 22
2013 22
2014 31
that makes 75 recruits that committed in just 3 years, so that 2011 class does not even figure into the 103 commits in 4 years

so yes I do understand the concept of mathematics. its you that keeps making excuses, take out the 2012 and that still gives your coach 81 commits since 2013, when they should not have more than 75 total in a 3 year priod.

so cutting players to find the best players helps and KF can not nor will he cut players because the University won't allow him to do it period.

as I pointed out in another thread Iowa is in on another RB out of FLA Hallback rated a 78 3* by ESPN who has Duke and Iowa as his top 2. another Southern recruit. so again you have been exposed as nothing but a troll. who is doing nothing but back peddling now,

the RB Higdon another southern recruit that you tried to imply that these coaches "CAN'T" recruit in runs a 4.45 40 and is a 4* by 247 and a 5.7 3* by rivals just why was it a crime that Iowa did not want/recruit this RB you are trying so hard to pimp. is this kid your son or a nephew.

You are as obtuse as you are IGNORANT.

NCAA limits ENROLLING 25 per class. Signing doesn't mean squat as some won't get through the NCAA Clearing House.

The NCAA ALLOWS a team to OVERSIGN when they UNDERSIGNED the PREVIOUS YEAR so long as the 85 limit is not exceeded and the number backcounted cannot raise the number in the previous class above the 25 limit

UT had ONLY 21 in the 2013 class ergo, FOUR of the 30 that made it into school in the 2014 class were BACK COUNTED against the 2013 class.

NOW, the NCAA ALSO allows you to OVERSIGN and count those toward the NEXT Year's class. Those are called BLUE SHIRTS and they cannot join the team until August. No Early Entries.
ALWAYS, the 85 limit MUST be observed. Nick Saban has OVERSIGNED for 6 of the 9 years he has been at Alabama, Once, undersigning and he backcounted those oversigned in the next class against the previous class. He has been forward counting to the point that I expect the year he retires, the incoming coach will be able to only recruit 8-10 players

UT has signed and enrolled ONLY 10 Players in the 2015 class. They have ONE Blue Shirt that counts against this class so the number before going over is 24. NLOI Day is Feb.4. Commitments don't mean squat until the recruit SIGNS that paper.
Committed Recruits flip to another team every year at the last moment. Or is this your first year exposed to college football recruiting?

Currently, because of SELF transfers, Graduation, Early NFL Entry, and one player being dismissed, the UT Roster stands at 53 returning players plus the 10 EEs. That is 63. The NCAA limit on scholarships is 85 so STHU about this subject that I have tried and tried to educate you on but you are, as you put it -DENCE

[/B]

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT